Eloping?

whatsername_

Eloping?

Unread post by whatsername_ »

So recently, Caleb and I have been seriously discussing forgetting the wedding ceremony and eloping.
Our parents are totally and completely fine with us getting married, but unfortunately can't offer much help financially.
So we're pretty much paying for everything ourselves.
That's not the problem, the problem is that anything we choose that's affordable yet still nice, either his mother or mine makes some type of comment.

I'm also kind off irritated by his mother right now.
Caleb's brother is getting married too, and so is Caleb's cousin.
My fmil has no daughters, so when I began including her in the planning, she was thrilled.

A few months ago when his cousin got engaged, everyone thought it was a horrible idea. They immediately moved in together and moved the wedding from 2015 to February of 2014.
His mom was so skeptical, but now she's all up in his cousin's wedding and shows no interest in either of her sons or future daughter in laws ceremony.
Maybe because it's closer than ours?
I have no idea.

So pretty much, Caleb and I are about 70% sure about eloping, but part of me wants a ceremony.
What do you guys think? :|
gypsophila
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Eloping?

Unread post by gypsophila »

Definitely elope! It's so romantic and special. You can still have an officiant and still have your dress. The day will be just about the two of you, and what you really want.
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.”- Buddha
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

I'm so eloping.
#FreeBen
LizLee30

Unread post by LizLee30 »

Elope and then have a party or dinner of some sort sometime later to celebrate it with your friends and family. :)

I feel like no matter how wealthy you are, there is no justification for spending tens of thousands of dollars on a wedding. It's one day, and going all-out really diminishes the sentiment. I see no problem with eloping, but I do think it'd be nice for you then to have a low-key party, gathering, dinner / lunch or something later on to celebrate it with the people close to you, and I'm sure those people would appreciate that too. There would be no need to go all-out like people tend to do for wedding receptions, so it'd be inexpensive by comparison.

Ultimately, you should do what makes you happy and what is going to cause you the least amount of stress. You should never leave yourself out-of-pocket over a one-day affair, even when it is your wedding, because it really is the meaning of the day that is important.
MamaJoAnna
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MamaJoAnna »

Save yourself the headache and have a bigger wedding/vow renewal later down the line.

Trust. Me.
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
whatsername_

Caleb and I sat down with his mother today, and she now realizes that she was wrong to downplay both of her sons for her niece.
Although I'm so excited for my soon to be cousin, my fmil said she just got caught up in the excitement.
Caleb's aunt and uncle don't live here, and so my fmi was stepping in for them.
Which I understand.
I just felt really helpless, mainly because Caleb and I are doing this entirely by ourselves.
We have around 11 months until the big day, so I decided not to stress about it yet.
I just get so frantic about it because this will be my ONLY wedding. I want it to be perfect, ya know?

Thank you for your insight, ladies. I truly appreciate it.
I'll let y'all know what we decide. Maybe one day I'll log on as a married woman, lol.
;)
whatsername_

I haven't... I'm still dreading that part.

We changed our venue and colors, though.
It's a November wedding... Why on earth did we think it was okay to have it on the beach!?
Haha
strawberries
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by strawberries »

How exciting! I really want updates & pictures for EVERYTHING please! I'm not going to get married for years but I'm nearly certain SO & I will have a wedding in November as well so we can keep our current anniversary; I can't see it as any other date.
whatsername_

That's really sweet. :)

We picked a new venue, but eloping is still in the back of my mind.
When we go to check the place out, maybe I'll post a picture of the inside. :)
strawberries
Gossiper
Gossiper

What are you planning now as for theme? I really woud love to see the venue. I used to like the idea of a beach theme as thoughts of the ocean bring such fondness for me until my uncle's wedding. His was only by the coast & it was windy as hell! I've also watched enough of "Four Weddings" to change my mind ): lmao.
whatsername_

This is our new color scheme and theme :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
TaylorKnows

Unread post by TaylorKnows »

whatsername_ wrote:This is our new color scheme and theme :)
That's so pretty! Perfect for the fall. :)
strawberries
Gossiper
Gossiper

That is lovely. Makes me feel warm & welcomed.
whatsername_

You ladies are so sweet.

The venue is really vintage too.
Grand pianos and everything is really pretty wood.
Sigh. :)

Return to “Wedding Planning”