Severe sciatic-esque pain.

whatsername_

Severe sciatic-esque pain.

Unread post by whatsername_ »

Since probably week 8 of my pregnancy, I've been having SEVERE pain in my back. Like when I lie down, or sit a certain way, I literally cannot walk.

My doctor can't see me until Thursday, and we've tried everything.
Did anyone else experience this, and how did you treat it?

I've been taking children's Tylenol but it's not working :(
ladybug
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Severe sciatic-esque pain.

Unread post by ladybug »

I had sciatic nerve pain in the last month of pregnancy, when the baby was pretty big. Have you tried going to a chiropractor? I went with my first pregnancy and it helped a lot.
whatsername_

That's what's so weird. I'm not even super far along.

I didn't know I could go to the chiropractor while pregnant. I've had back issues since a soccer injury in high school, but I've never been.
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

I'm confused...is it when you're lying down or when you're walking?

It could just be ligament stretching pain but I can't judge how severe it is. If it is that bad, I wouldn't wait until Thursday. I'd go to the ER. I've never been to a chiropractor so can't judge on that but if you do choose that route, be sure to tell them on the phone that you're pregnant and confirm it when you get there.

Good luck, hope you feel better xx

Oh and as for relief....I think you can take regular Tylenol in pregnancy can't you? We can certainly take full Panadol here and I think it's the same thing. Hot water bottle, adjust your pillows so you are comfortable (my best position to ease back pain was sort of on my side/front with top leg bent so almost in a running position. Sticking a pillow under that leg to support your hips can help too)

Hope this helps.
ladybug
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by ladybug »

My chiropractor had a special table for pregnant women to lay on with a hole for the belly. I went 2x a week I think.

Like goose said, it could be something serious that needs checked out....
hjl226

Unread post by hjl226 »

You can go to massage parlors that have special pregnancy massages
blackbetty
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by blackbetty »

I would take some full strength Tylenol as directed and see if that makes a difference. Children's Tylenol is only 80-160 mg per tablet whereas the full strength is 500 mg. i think in your case the benefit would outweigh the risk. Of course, don't take it more than you have to but it is safe to take.

I agree with goosey though. I'd hit the ER if it's interfering with your life.

Ligament pain would make sense but I don't know if you would feel it in your back. It could be a number of things and most likely nothing serious (easy for me to say I know! I feel for ya tho, I do)

Girl, I hope it works out and you're not gonna be miserable this whole pregnancy! It's so early to already be hurtin! My first pregnancy was so miserable, I swore no more kids for me lol. Hope you're feeling better soon. Try to take it easy when you can so you can reduce strain.
#FreeBen
whatsername_

Sorry, let me clarify. I'm okay until I lay on my back or sit a certain way, and if I try to get up again and walk, it's horrific.
So if I decide to take a nap, I'm out for the rest of the day/evening.

I figured it would be ligament stretching, but it hasn't stopped.
I took a warm bath hoping that'd help, but then I couldn't get out of the tub and had to call Caleb for help, haha.

As far as Tylenol, I just wanted to be on the safe side and not take anything more than what I should.

Last night was the worst that I've had it, and it's still hurting this morning.

Its too early for all these issues, lol. I have my appointment Thursday.
My other symptoms have pretty much subsided thankfully.

Return to “TTC, Pregnancy, and Parenting”