• Advertisement

DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Re: DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Postby HelloSweetie » Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:18 pm

brownprincess93 wrote:Did you notice when Bryan said he loves Ollie in the beginning he mouthed back I love you too.....okay so that is also staged for the vlog? How sad!! hahahah Peyton will be like Ollie's nanny - having to watch over him - I'm sure Natalia wishes she could put them in seperate classes so she could enjoy herself too! Missy's eyeshadow is horrible - looks like she has pink eye!! Poor Missy - she can't play her Lego set because she has kids that want to play too #LanningProblems so one thing I've noticed - when Missy rambles on she clearly is frustrated and doesn't know how to explain herself - if only she got out into the real world and met with people instead of being a cave woman all the time she could manage to have a conversation fluently!

If they hold Oliver back, then he and Payton won't be in school together past this year right?

My son had just turned 5 when he started FULL DAY Kindergarten. I agree that Oliver is going to fall behind his peers and is just going to stand out as the older kid. There is a boy with a Dec birthday in my son's class, and he's always stood out for technically being a year older than the their kids. His parents have started celebrating his birthday in January to make this less obvious.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

Advertisement

Postby marshmallowfluf » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:03 pm

My youngest sons birthday is in the middle of September. So he will always be the oldest in his class. I honestly think they are just setting themselves up to say "oh ollie isn't ready for kindergarten so he needs to be at home playing, because learning just isn't that important at 5 years old"
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper

Postby MommaLindsey2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:04 pm

HelloSweetie wrote:
brownprincess93 wrote:Did you notice when Bryan said he loves Ollie in the beginning he mouthed back I love you too.....okay so that is also staged for the vlog? How sad!! hahahah Peyton will be like Ollie's nanny - having to watch over him - I'm sure Natalia wishes she could put them in seperate classes so she could enjoy herself too! Missy's eyeshadow is horrible - looks like she has pink eye!! Poor Missy - she can't play her Lego set because she has kids that want to play too #LanningProblems so one thing I've noticed - when Missy rambles on she clearly is frustrated and doesn't know how to explain herself - if only she got out into the real world and met with people instead of being a cave woman all the time she could manage to have a conversation fluently!

If they hold Oliver back, then he and Payton won't be in school together past this year right?

My son had just turned 5 when he started FULL DAY Kindergarten. I agree that Oliver is going to fall behind his peers and is just going to stand out as the older kid. There is a boy with a Dec birthday in my son's class, and he's always stood out for technically being a year older than the their kids. His parents have started celebrating his birthday in January to make this less obvious.

That was me all through school as well although my parents celebrated my birthday at the correct time and weren't ashamed. I have a September birthday and was always a year older than everyone else. It was never a bad thing really. People would ask if I got held back and I had to explain it to them. I always liked being the oldest in class. Both of my sons have November birthdays and I'm glad that they will be older when they go into kindergarten and hopefully have an easier time than some of their peers who might be almost a year younger than them.

There are many studies that say fall children tend to do much better in school than summer children who are the youngest in their class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper

Postby tml43 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:10 pm

onbreak wrote:They'll pull him once he can read. Teaching him to read is probably one of her biggest fears.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk

He's not going to learn to read anyway. Developmentally, kindergarten kids are just barely grasping concepts and can read very low level books, let alone a pre-k kid. They need to work on all his letters and phonemes first.
tml43
Informer

Postby onbreak » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:17 pm

tml43 wrote:
onbreak wrote:They'll pull him once he can read. Teaching him to read is probably one of her biggest fears.

He's not going to learn to read anyway. Developmentally, kindergarten kids are just barely grasping concepts and can read very low level books, let alone a pre-k kid. They need to work on all his letters and phonemes first.
I mean from any school in general. My kids knew how to read by 1st grade

onbreak
True Gossiper

Postby cat9480 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:45 pm

marshmallowfluf wrote:I honestly think they are just setting themselves up to say "oh ollie isn't ready for kindergarten so he needs to be at home playing, because learning just isn't that important at 5 years old"

Which is just so sad, because playing and learning can and should be the same thing! There are so many fun and creative ways to teach young children, and he would soak it right up at this age. If Missy got her act together, she could be making wonderful memories with those boys while still having having fun with them, and also getting Ollie ready for kindergarten at the same time. She loves Pinterest, and it's full of educational projects for children. They have all the time in the world to take him on trips to educational or hands-on places - and it would make for good vlog footage. He's a smart kid, there's no reason he couldn't be ready by next year. They are just lazy. Again, they have practically unlimited resources to do these things, and it's just wasted.

cat9480
Gossiper

Postby kates_crush » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:50 pm

I was born in december, I started full time kindergarten when I was four, It never affected me. Some years I was the youngest, other years I wasn't, it actually made me feel good to know I was younger than most and still able to do just as well (and better) than them.

I honestly believe the age of the child has nothing to do with it, it comes down to the parents and what they've done to prepare the child thus far. I think preschool will be really good for ollie, he is stuck at the house ranch all day long only ever interacting a few days a month with cousins.
kates_crush
Amateur

Postby Viewingsince2010 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:08 pm

Following

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk
Viewingsince2010
Talker

Postby msrubeus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:29 pm

MommaLindsey2 wrote:

My son has a November birthday so will turn 5 just a couple months after starting prek I'm happy about this for sure. If his birthday fell a couple months sooner I would be concerned about him being behind his other classmates due to age. Missy's concern is valid. Summer birthday kids do tend to struggle in school.

If his birthday was a couple months sooner, wouldn't he be a couple months older when entering kindergarten, not younger? If he turns 5 in November he will be among the youngest children in the class. Counting forward to the 12th grade, that means he will be 17 when he graduates. So I can't make sense of why a summer birthday would be behind? Are they starting kids a year younger than they used to? Or is the cutoff September and not December?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
msrubeus
Talker

Postby cat9480 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:40 pm

kates_crush wrote:I was born in december, I started full time kindergarten when I was four, It never affected me. Some years I was the youngest, other years I wasn't, it actually made me feel good to know I was younger than most and still able to do just as well (and better) than them.

I honestly believe the age of the child has nothing to do with it, it comes down to the parents and what they've done to prepare the child thus far. I think preschool will be really good for ollie, he is stuck at the house ranch all day long only ever interacting a few days a month with cousins.

I agree, it depends on the child and the parents. I was always one of the youngest in my class, and it worked out fine. I was 17 when I graduated...and still 17 when I started college. My parents debated for ages on whether to send me or wait.

cat9480
Gossiper

DailyToddlerTrappedInPreschool (DailyBumps) - Part 93

Postby MommaLindsey2 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:54 pm

msrubeus wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:

My son has a November birthday so will turn 5 just a couple months after starting prek I'm happy about this for sure. If his birthday fell a couple months sooner I would be concerned about him being behind his other classmates due to age. Missy's concern is valid. Summer birthday kids do tend to struggle in school.

If his birthday was a couple months sooner, wouldn't he be a couple months older when entering kindergarten, not younger? If he turns 5 in November he will be among the youngest children in the class. Counting forward to the 12th grade, that means he will be 17 when he graduates. So I can't make sense of why a summer birthday would be behind? Are they starting kids a year younger than they used to? Or is the cutoff September and not December?

Cutoff in my state is September 1st. He will turn 6 two months after starting kindergarten.

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper

Postby msrubeus » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:59 pm

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
msrubeus wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:

Cutoff in my state is September 1st.

Gotcha, so weird how it varies by where you live. (To repeat what others have said)

Redlining is very popular here, holding kids back, starting Kindergarten at 6 and they turn 7 still in kindergarten... Gives them an edge in academics and sports, I guess.

msrubeus
Talker

Postby tvobaby27 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:56 pm

My son started Pre-K not even a whole month after be turned 4 and the whole year he struggled. He was not mature enough and he is a wild boy. The teacher, principal and I all agreed it was best for him to do another year. That was last year, and he did amazing! What a difference a year made. He is still wild and crazy and takes a bit to calm down and focus, but he just turned 6 and will be starting kindergarten next week!

I think this will be Ollie, and I think it will be the best option. But I do not see it as an excuse to not treat this year as real school and take him out whenever they please. Even if he does do another year, this first year is still crucial.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk
tvobaby27
Talker

Postby saltysgirl » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm

This is totally random and sorry if this is a stupid question. But with Missy's stillborn did she have to have a c-section for that or was she able to be induced and deliver the baby naturally?
saltysgirl
Amateur

Postby Strawberry26 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:16 pm

saltysgirl wrote:This is totally random and sorry if this is a stupid question. But with Missy's stillborn did she have to have a c-section for that or was she able to be induced and deliver the baby naturally?
I believe delivered naturally.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Strawberry26
Gossiper

Postby PostyMcPosterston » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:19 am

Was there some faces that were blurred in the preschool room video? I feel like I remember an old man being blurred. If so, does that mean everyone else gave consent??

PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper

Postby saltysgirl » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:48 am

They definitely have to be reading these forums. Notice how she brought up the part about people calling them out on her all high and mighty requests/concerns she had talked about with the school and then trying to justify and explain it again? I mean unless people are also giving them crap on twitter,instagram,etc. They could be among us.. LOL Also, another completely random question. (I haven't kept of with this forum for the past like 4 months or so) Did whoever contacted that one guy on facebook who said Bryan supposedly hit on him ever get a response back? Just curious and too lazy to go way back and try to find it. hehe My apologies. :D
saltysgirl
Amateur

Postby mamaof2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:09 am

Took me all of five minutes to find the school Ollie will be going to. Scary, considering their "famous" son could easily be tracked down.

Also, I wonder if they're doing half day or full day. Both are ridiculously priced.
mamaof2
Talker

Postby Momto3boys » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:34 am

My youngest sons birthday is the end of the Aug.. He made the cut off by 6 days. When he went to Kinder I said , well if he doesnt do well I will just hold him back and he will do 2 yrs of Kinder .. Well, he did great.. So again when he started 1st grade I thought the same thing. I was not really worried about the academics of it but his social part. But again he did great . In fact the teacher told me if I would have waited to send him to Kinder that first year he would have been so bored they probably would have skipped him up to the first grade. My middle son was an Oct baby so he was always one of the oldest and he did great too. But I think it was best for him to be an older kid in his class because of his social side.. My oldest was a March baby so he was not to old or not to young for each grade.
Momto3boys
Informer

Postby lagenialester » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:51 am

It looks like that school also offers a homeschool track. I could so see that happening next year.

(And FWIW, I was always the youngest and my grade and did fine. My daughter just turned four last week and has been recommended by her preschool to start 4K in a couple weeks. My brother would NOT have done well starting kindergarten right at 5. He was the oldest in his class, which was for the best. It just depends on each kid.)

lagenialester
Informer

Postby amyfalafal » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:14 am

saltysgirl wrote:This is totally random and sorry if this is a stupid question. But with Missy's stillborn did she have to have a c-section for that or was she able to be induced and deliver the baby naturally?

From experience, she was likely induced, or labor started on its own when her body realised her baby was gone. I had both happen to me at early miscarriages, but with full term stillbirth labor I was induced since i was overdue anyway.
amyfalafal
Gossiper

Postby onbreak » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:15 am

Most private schools offer Christian homeschool curriculum.
The cut iff here used to be dec 31.. When my daughter started school it was sept 1. My nephew has an Oct bday and my sister thought he was ready and she had him tested.. Its a test designed for kids to not pass.

onbreak
True Gossiper

Postby sunshine lollipops2 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:17 am

mamaof2 wrote:Took me all of five minutes to find the school Ollie will be going to. Scary, considering their "famous" son could easily be tracked down.

Also, I wonder if they're doing half day or full day. Both are ridiculously priced.

She mentioned on her channel that he'll be going 2 mornings a week just for a few hours

sunshine lollipops2
Amateur

Postby Super_K » Sun Aug 13, 2017 5:19 am

Like another member of this topic, I too, finally had to make an account to weigh in.

I used to watch the DailyBumps often. I even sent them a birthday card for Ollie back in the day. A card that was featured because it was from overseas.

I found this forum because a lot of the things that are talked about here are a lot of the reasons that I have been watching less and less over the past year or so.

A lot of people have weighed in about their experiences and their own children, but I think we can all come to the general consensus that different kids have different needs. Whether Ollie will start kindergarten "late" or not, really remains to be seen.That seems to have already been discussed at length. Though I am more partial to the Canadian or French systems because we all know that the US has some pretty awful ones, especially in the public sector.

The thing that really bums me out about the current situation is that they don't give the kids a chance. If they are so worried about Ollie not being ready for kindergarten in the future, then why set him up for disadvantage by not setting up a great routine for him. Why not take it seriously? I originally had hopes for them, seeing how seriously they took things like swimming, going as often as they could, working step by step with Ollie and the teacher, practicing at home, helping Ollie learn, grow and master his environment. These are things that I have seen a huge drop in in recent years. It is so heart breaking. These parents could do so so much for their boys, but instead, they are hindering their development at every turn and it is disappointing.
Super_K

Postby HelloSweetie » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:06 am

saltysgirl wrote:They definitely have to be reading these forums. Notice how she brought up the part about people calling them out on her all high and mighty requests/concerns she had talked about with the school and then trying to justify and explain it again? I mean unless people are also giving them crap on twitter,instagram,etc. They could be among us.. LOL Also, another completely random question. (I haven't kept of with this forum for the past like 4 months or so) Did whoever contacted that one guy on facebook who said Bryan supposedly hit on him ever get a response back? Just curious and too lazy to go way back and try to find it. hehe My apologies. :D

I messaged him but never got a response. Maybe someone else wants to try again?
Or try the friend?

Don't remember what chapter that was we discussed it, but I'm sure we said the names a lot.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

PreviousNext

Return to DailyBumps/BumpsAlongTheWay