Student/Career Anxiety

pllfan5
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Student/Career Anxiety

Unread post by pllfan5 »

Hey guys, I just wanted to vent about something that has been heavy on my mind. Basically, I'm a social work student and I'm going to be graduating in a few months and I honestly don't think I want to be a social worker anymore. Two years ago I wanted to be a social worker so badly, and now I don't think I'm cut out to be one.
I have social anxiety that has gotten worse within the past year and I'm so anxious of making mistakes with clients. I think my heart is in the right place and I want to make a difference, but I think I'll have to find a different career path to do it. I have a lot of guilt about this though because spots are very limited in my program, and I feel that someone else should have gotten my place.

Anyways, I have my final practicum this summer and I'll see how it goes. I might change my mind after I get more field experience and hopefully I can find an area of social work that would work better for me.
#FreeFinleyandJackson
pianogossiper
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Re: Student/Career Anxiety

Unread post by pianogossiper »

If it's not what you want to do anymore then there's no shame in that! Just be sure you're 100% certain it's not for you & you're not just doubting it because you don't want to leave college/university and you're trying to avoid that life change by wanting to study something else.

My best friend has been on/off about dropping out of uni for about a year (we're music students), and last week he finally left. He always said he wanted to carry it through until he knew for certain what it was he wanted, and he started getting professional photography jobs etc and that's when he decided to leave, because he had connections and now experience to do what he wanted.

Don't stress, life is weird and confusing but it always has its own weird way of working things out :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Been thanked: 0

Re: Student/Career Anxiety

Unread post by fossilfinger »

I'm having the same issue right now. I'm about to finish my student teaching and it has been completely nightmarish. Now I'm doubting my ability to handle being a teacher. I can't control the students at all and they're so disrespectful. But I think I will interview at a few schools just to see if one "clicks" with me, while also looking for other jobs.

In your case, it sounds like you don't believe in yourself when you say someone else should have received your position. I'm sure there are still careers out there where you could use a social work degree even if it's not directly social work. I would advise talking to a counselor in your department, or one of your professors, to see which other career options are out there, and then explore some of the companies/nonprofits you could work for.

Return to “Advice and Venting”