Everyone in my home is sick

usernamessuck
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Everyone in my home is sick

Unread post by usernamessuck »

So, I'm still learning how to adult. I was just diagnosed with the flu, and my roommate has a really bad cold. How should I go about cleaning our apartment out to prevent us from catching the same stuff over and over again. It's a pretty septic place right now, lol. Any advice or tips? I'm stripping my bed after I get a couple more doses of meds in my system. I'm mainly worried about the kitchen and bathrooms. Any help would be much appreciated! We've been at college a few years, and this is the first time either of us has been super ill.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Everyone in my home is sick

Unread post by Playsinrain »

usernamessuck wrote:So, I'm still learning how to adult. I was just diagnosed with the flu, and my roommate has a really bad cold. How should I go about cleaning our apartment out to prevent us from catching the same stuff over and over again. It's a pretty septic place right now, lol. Any advice or tips? I'm stripping my bed after I get a couple more doses of meds in my system. I'm mainly worried about the kitchen and bathrooms. Any help would be much appreciated! We've been at college a few years, and this is the first time either of us has been super ill.
Lysol (or disinfectant spray in general. specifically labeled saying it kills the flu virus) EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH... every light switch, door knob, faucet, toilet, remote, telephone.. anything you or your roommate touches. Wash all the bedding in hot water, wash all the dishes in super hot water (or dishwasher). I enjoy using disposable cups and silverware when my house in infected. It makes it so much easier. I would disinfect everything at least twice a day for the first 3-4 days and then at least once for a week. Clorox wipes or diluted bleach for surfaces. (Or you can use diluted white vinegar) I would also mop with some sort of disinfectant (like i mentioned above, i mop with a diluted white vinegar solution after we have been sick. hubby hates the smell but it keeps the germs down. Also, and this is a little hooky cooky but i do it, can't tell you if it really works but it gives me a little peace of mind. Apparently onions draw bacteria out of the air. Cut one in half and sit it out (cut side up) in your bedroom. It will smell for a bit, but i've heard people swear by it. My BFF leaves one like that in her cube at work during flu season and *knock on wood* she has been one of the only ones that has not succumb to the office funk in the past 3 years that she has done it.

I hope you both start feeling better!! <3
usernamessuck
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by usernamessuck »

Playsinrain wrote:
usernamessuck wrote:So, I'm still learning how to adult. I was just diagnosed with the flu, and my roommate has a really bad cold. How should I go about cleaning our apartment out to prevent us from catching the same stuff over and over again. It's a pretty septic place right now, lol. Any advice or tips? I'm stripping my bed after I get a couple more doses of meds in my system. I'm mainly worried about the kitchen and bathrooms. Any help would be much appreciated! We've been at college a few years, and this is the first time either of us has been super ill.
Lysol (or disinfectant spray in general. specifically labeled saying it kills the flu virus) EVERYTHING YOU TOUCH... every light switch, door knob, faucet, toilet, remote, telephone.. anything you or your roommate touches. Wash all the bedding in hot water, wash all the dishes in super hot water (or dishwasher). I enjoy using disposable cups and silverware when my house in infected. It makes it so much easier. I would disinfect everything at least twice a day for the first 3-4 days and then at least once for a week. Clorox wipes or diluted bleach for surfaces. (Or you can use diluted white vinegar) I would also mop with some sort of disinfectant (like i mentioned above, i mop with a diluted white vinegar solution after we have been sick. hubby hates the smell but it keeps the germs down. Also, and this is a little hooky cooky but i do it, can't tell you if it really works but it gives me a little peace of mind. Apparently onions draw bacteria out of the air. Cut one in half and sit it out (cut side up) in your bedroom. It will smell for a bit, but i've heard people swear by it. My BFF leaves one like that in her cube at work during flu season and *knock on wood* she has been one of the only ones that has not succumb to the office funk in the past 3 years that she has done it.

I will have to try the onion thing, and I hadn't thought of putting disinfectant into the mop water.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Playsinrain wrote:

She pretty much covered it! Definitely doorknobs and light switches! And microwave buttons.
Feel better! Lots of fluids, and soup!
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Mirandanana
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by Mirandanana »

Well the onion thing is good I must admit, but stinky :?
I had a flu and bad cold at lease once in 6-12 months earlier. I've just realized that if at least once a year I have a holiday somewhere in the south like Spain or Greece on the sea - It means I won't get seriously sick for the next year. But it must be decent holiday of 2 weeks at least and every day beach (sand warms body and all it's systems very well), I really believe it helps. Same effect on my daughter: she is much healthier since we bought a house in Greece and spend every summer there. She has a great company as well :) many foreign families with kids around ;)

Return to “Advice and Venting”