Would you say something?

actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Would you say something?

Unread post by actuallydear »

Let's say you're friends on Instagram or through a Facebook mommy group or whatever the channel may be... doesn't matter.

Live on opposite sides of the world, have 'known' her and interacted a few times since before she gave birth. Her kid is under 12 months old but has displayed soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many early signs of autism. (Not judging her or baby or trying to armchair diagnose... but people who have been closely around kids with autism can spot the flags pretty quick).

Mom is continually frustrated and blaming herself, is always asking fellow Moms for advice because her child does/doesn't do ____ and wants to know if is it normal? She is very open about their journey and I don't think autism is on her radar at all.

Hypothetically - what would you do? Would you tell her? If so, how?

What if it was your kid, would you want to know so you could do research, etc?
gossipingloser
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Would you say something?

Unread post by gossipingloser »

actuallydear wrote:Let's say you're friends on Instagram or through a Facebook mommy group or whatever the channel may be... doesn't matter.

Live on opposite sides of the world, have 'known' her and interacted a few times since before she gave birth. Her kid is under 12 months old but has displayed soooooooooooooooooooooooooo many early signs of autism. (Not judging her or baby or trying to armchair diagnose... but people who have been closely around kids with autism can spot the flags pretty quick).

Mom is continually frustrated and blaming herself, is always asking fellow Moms for advice because her child does/doesn't do ____ and wants to know if is it normal? She is very open about their journey and I don't think autism is on her radar at all.

Hypothetically - what would you do? Would you tell her? If so, how?

What if it was your kid, would you want to know so you could do research, etc?
I’m not sure what a baby under 12 mos could be doing that displays sooooo many traits of autism. Research on early detection of autism focusses on very subtle things because many of the major signs are things all young babies have/do. Young babies lack theory of mind, lack social skills, lack communication skills, etc because they’re babies.

Also, the early early intervention is just basic good parenting. Stuff like “talk to your baby” is the advice. Well you should do that either way.

So no, I probably wouldn’t. You might be right, but it’s not like there’s anything she can do about it. And you also might be wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Advice and Venting”