Should I get a new car?

fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Should I get a new car?

Unread post by fossilfinger »

My parents gave me my mom's old car a couple years ago and it's kind of become a money pit. It is a luxury car, but the little things are adding up because it's 15 years old. On top of that, the service is really expensive because it's a luxury car. I spend at least $100 for every tiny little thing that goes wrong. In the last year and a half, I have had to replace the console on my key (a little over $100), and have them drill my license plate out of my car TWICE because the screws were rusted in and no other car repair place would touch it. It cost $104 just for them to USE the drill. Now I have a headlight out, and I bought a replacement light so my husband could install it. Well, the old headlight will not come out no matter how hard we try to get it, so I'll be forced to take it in again and I'm sure it'll cost over $100 just to replace a stupid headlight. The part itself cost me $10 at the auto parts store, so I really don't want to pay this. I also have had to replace the transmission and the brakes. I really should have just junked the car at the point where I replaced the transmission, because it cost me more than the car was worth, but at the time I figured since my parents had given me the car I should replace it since it cost me less than a down payment on a new car.

Also, the interior is getting beat up. My seatbelt barely works. It doesn't have any slack in it anymore, and if I got in an accident I fear it wouldn't hold me in the car. My doors don't lock properly. It is just little-ish things, but they all add up to costing a lot.

I know it sounds ridiculous to get a new car over a headlight that's out, but I'm tired of putting money into the car. Should I just get a new one now? I was planning on getting one in about a year and a half or so anyway. I can afford the down payment and the job I'm in now is higher paying than any other job I've had. But part of me thinks that I should continue driving this car that I've poured thousands of dollars into.

What should I do?
ladybug
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Should I get a new car?

Unread post by ladybug »

If you can comfortably afford a new car then you should. Maybe save up the next year and put down a huge down payment.

You don't have an Acura by chance? Lol. I have the same problem w headlights.
thegooseiscooked

Unread post by thegooseiscooked »

Yeah....Australia is pretty tough on unroadworthy cars. You would get fined if the police pulled you over in a car with a broken headlight and non-functional seat belts.

It irks me no end when people like Jessica and Lucy crap on and on about ERF yet their cars are not roadworthy.

So my answer is yes, I would be buying a new car. Stop sinking money into it and trade it in. Buy a cheaper but more reliable car. Not sure how it works in America but here insurance premiums are much higher for a luxury car too.
briannaspeaks
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by briannaspeaks »

Buy a new one. If you've put thousands of dollars in it, then you will probably continue to put thousands in it.
See how much you would get for a trade in and see how much you could get if you sold it independently; and take the better offer.
My significant other and I were just in this pickle. We had a high maintenance car as well. We said fuck it and bought a new car, 2013 Nissian. And now's a good time to buy a car... end of the year will get you some good discounts/rebates.

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)."
Alinkama
Amateur
Amateur

Какое надо купить вечернее платье

Unread post by Alinkama »

Шикарное платье – превосходная возможность каждой девушке продемонстрировать свою женственность. В таком наряде, вы сможете открыться миру – выглядеть как королева во дворце.
Поводов надеть вечернее платье совсем не мало, надо только суметь их обнаружить и поймать. Ну и потом правильно определить именно то платье, что преобразит вас, конкретно вы в этом платье преобразите вечер.
Если вы – гостья на свадьбе, может вы конкретно празднуете юбилей вдруг приглашены на мероприятие к друзьям может родственникам и уверены, что торжество прогремит в праздничной ситуации, значит тут вам снова потребуется купить вечернее платье.
В подобном случае модель возможно могут быть разнообразными. На мероприятие или юбилей. В самый раз шикарное вечернее платье.
Порыв казаться несравненно – осенить, предстать в выгодном свете и сделать сильное впечатление присуще нам всякий раз

Return to “Advice and Venting”