Carseat rant.

mocalyn
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Carseat rant.

Unread post by mocalyn »

Im watch my young sister ( almost 11 months old) for my mom often and it sometimes happens to fall on days when shes being picked up for a visit with her biological mom, the visits are always supervised....
but EVERY TIME they dont put the car seat in correctly.... its not strapped into the car, she's not buckled in.. or its forward facing... :@ (or combination of the three!!)
I feel like the crazy car seat bitch every time i have to tell the supervisor the car seat needs to be turned around or explain how to buckle her in safely !!

today it happened again and she's like well ive already put the straps in the seat.... "well shes not old enough it has to be turned around, sorry" she says well this carseat doesn't go 'backwards'... yes it does! Stop making excuses and make sure baby is safe!
Carseat safety is not optional!! Its just something ALL parents/ caregivers, have to learn and practice... seriously its not even that complicated...

I had to get my rant out.. thanks guys lol
I hope im not totally crazy... would this make anyone else mad ?
mommaof2cuties
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: Carseat rant.

Unread post by mommaof2cuties »

I've been friends with this girl on Facebook for a few years now, her daughter is a month younger then my son. She will be 2 end of June and is like half the size of my son. I have seen her daughter in the carseat incorrectly pretty much since the kid was born. Finally last night I had to say something to her. The baby is using a carseat like a fucking booster already with the seatbelt around her instead of the 5 point harness. I just asked if that's what she was using and was going to warn her that if she gets pulled over they will charge her with abuse or neglect but so far no response. I've seen the poor thing with her chest clip at the crotch strap so I felt like I needed to say something finally. I'll probably get deleted but whatever it's not that hard to understand how to put a kid in correctly. I was actually looking into a new seat for my son and say one that can be used as a booster so thought it would be worth getting since it would last a long time. Good thing my niece got one first because you can only use the 5 point harness until 40 lbs. He's like 36 lbs now. I was pissed like he's not even that big compared to other kids and they expect him to use a seatbelt to hold him in.
mocalyn
Informer
Informer

Unread post by mocalyn »

I wonder if these people are really that uneducated about it or just so lazy they would rather do what ever is easiest.... im not even sure whats worse! Its just all around horrible.

Good for you in saying something , you may get deleted but maybe she'll think twice before she puts her baby in the car like that .

Im sure they've called to complain about me making them turn it around lol but i dont care im not sending her off like that.. id feel responsible if something happened. Even my kid brother was like "i saw they didn't put it in right ! Im happy you made them fix it!" Hes a kid ... he gets it!
mommaof2cuties
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm always complaining about installing my seat because I have an older car that has seatbelts that don't lock. So I have to sit in it and tighten as much as I can then get out and hold on to one side, unhook and pull it back thru to put the lock clip on. Then sit on it again and re thread it and struggle like crazy to get it to latch since its so tight lol. Luckily I don't have to do it all the time but sometimes I feel like it's not tight enough so want to redo it. It's hell but I'd rather waste 5 minutes struggling to get it in then risk him being injuried. There so many injuries you can't protect against and this is something so easy to prevent o just don't understand.
Ariasol
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Ariasol »

I'm not sure where you live, but here (US) you can use a 5 point harness until 65lbs, not 40lbs. Usually the 40lbs is the limit on most convertible seats for rear facing. I'm extremely big on car seat saftey, so I understand the frustration. I either end up deleting people or try to gentley tell someone. They always get offended. I can't understand it, I had done everything wrong for the first 4 months of my son's life. When told I researched like crazy and sucked up my pride and fixed it. My child is more important than my bruised ego. I wish more parents thought that way.
mommaof2cuties
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Ariasol wrote:I'm not sure where you live, but here (US) you can use a 5 point harness until 65lbs, not 40lbs. Usually the 40lbs is the limit on most convertible seats for rear facing. I'm extremely big on car seat saftey, so I understand the frustration. I either end up deleting people or try to gentley tell someone. They always get offended. I can't understand it, I had done everything wrong for the first 4 months of my son's life. When told I researched like crazy and sucked up my pride and fixed it. My child is more important than my bruised ego. I wish more parents thought that way.
Oh I know you can but for some reason on the seat I was looking at it said once they hit 40lbs they must us the seatbelt in that seat. I was so son fused on how it would even be safe, if we get a new seat we are looking at pretty expensive ones since he weighs so much already.

Return to “Advice and Venting”