College

clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

College

Unread post by clamicheat »

So, I'm ready to further my education. I was accepted into a college after I graduated, then I found out I was pregnant, panicked, and decided not to go. I currently work a babysitting job, but obviously that's not going to do anything for a career. I want to be a special education teacher with ASL training.
I have until September until my grandmother can watch my daughter for free (i've done the math, getting a job would just go straight to child care, it makes more sense for me to stay home with my daughter until Gram can watch her.) So I want to do an online school to begin with and get general studies out of the way.
The problem is, I have no idea how to go about this. I see these girls on YouTube being scammed by colleges that cost a lot but the degree means nothing. Does anyone know how I can do this safely and cost effectively? I know I should do a local online school, but I don't know where to start and what to look for.
FJ_Lanning
Gossiper
Gossiper

Re: College

Unread post by FJ_Lanning »

clamicheat wrote:So, I'm ready to further my education. I was accepted into a college after I graduated, then I found out I was pregnant, panicked, and decided not to go. I currently work a babysitting job, but obviously that's not going to do anything for a career. I want to be a special education teacher with ASL training.
I have until September until my grandmother can watch my daughter for free (i've done the math, getting a job would just go straight to child care, it makes more sense for me to stay home with my daughter until Gram can watch her.) So I want to do an online school to begin with and get general studies out of the way.
The problem is, I have no idea how to go about this. I see these girls on YouTube being scammed by colleges that cost a lot but the degree means nothing. Does anyone know how I can do this safely and cost effectively? I know I should do a local online school, but I don't know where to start and what to look for.
Where do you live? (Province/state) Yeah DO NOT do University of Arizona. (I think V and B did that) Colleges will laugh at you. It's a worthless piece of paper. Some regular colleges have online courses. I'm from Canada and the biggest online university here is called Athabasca (don't know if I spelled that right)

ASL, so cool!! I only know a bit. I never have anyone to practice with. My mom's a special needs teacher. :) I consider it as an option. I have my BSc in mental health studies and linguistics. I started a new associates program in Sept and it was a shit show. So I left in October. So just working now X2 week doing respite for a girl with Autism. Also doing some odd jobs here and there and volunteering. I plan to go back Sept 2016 as well.
clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur

I live in Upstate New York. There's some wonderful colleges around here. But I don't know if what I should do is talk to a college advisor or if I should just jump right in. I feel like this is a big decision and should take a lot of thought and research. My future depends on this decision. I just don't want to get screwed over
I had an IEP in highschool. I was removed from it my senior year because I had improved so much from when I first was tested. I owe that all to my resource teachers. They were amazing in helping me. They're the reason I want to do this.

Sent from my LG-H443 using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

It's University of Phoenix you should stay away from. University of Arizona is an accredited brick and mortar school, lol.

I recommend you find a community college to do your prerequisites. Most community colleges have a program that allows you to directly transfer to a four-year university. Talk to an adviser and they'll tell you everything you need to know.
FJ_Lanning
Gossiper
Gossiper

fossilfinger wrote:It's University of Phoenix you should stay away from. University of Arizona is an accredited brick and mortar school, lol.

I recommend you find a community college to do your prerequisites. Most community colleges have a program that allows you to directly transfer to a four-year university. Talk to an adviser and they'll tell you everything you need to know.
Lmfaooo I meant Phoenix whoops. I'm Canadian like it said ;)
FJ_Lanning
Gossiper
Gossiper

Niagara University!! Haha I really wanted to go there but it's a 2 1/2 hour drive one way. I don't even know if that upstate NY haha.

Don't discredit accommodations. I had an IEP grades 4-9 but I went to a special hs that was self directed so I just had my home room teacher advocate for me. I did use accommodations all five years at university. What were you diagnosed with? I have ADHD, GAD and a mild LD with visual and auditory memory.
clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur

They didn't really have a name for it, I guess. Basically, I have a block that makes it difficult for me to get my thoughts out of my mouth and into paper. Like, I know what I want to say but I cant get it out. I hope that makes sense. In third grade, I was at a first grade spelling level. I've looked it up and the only thing I can equate it to is dysgraphia.
I'm going to look for an advisor, thank you. And there are a couple community colleges around my area that I'll look into.

FJ_Lanning
Gossiper
Gossiper

clamicheat wrote:They didn't really have a name for it, I guess. Basically, I have a block that makes it difficult for me to get my thoughts out of my mouth and into paper. Like, I know what I want to say but I cant get it out. I hope that makes sense. In third grade, I was at a first grade spelling level. I've looked it up and the only thing I can equate it to is dysgraphia.
I'm going to look for an advisor, thank you. And there are a couple community colleges around my area that I'll look into.

Dysgraphia sounds right. Did you ever have a scribe? (You say your answer and they write it down for you)

Good luck!! :)
clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur

No, I didn't. I had all my tests and essays read for me though and I spent an hour a day in the resource room where I did homework and classwork and we did work for that class too, like reading comp, writing stories and poems off the top of our heads and other things like that. With tests, they helped me to the best of there ability (or how much they were allowed) to get the right answer.

clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur

Their*

fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Didn't have time to type a lot earlier.

Congratulations on deciding to go into education! I am also studying education right now at a community college. It's a post-Baccalaureate degree. I take all my classes online (except in-person field experiences) and it's so easy to navigate. The web site lays out everything for you. If you can find a good school that has coursework you can do mostly online I would recommend it. You can go at your own pace and you will still get lots of in-person experience with education.
clamicheat
Amateur
Amateur

Thanks. I'm really excited to start school again. I have a college in mind, my sister went to the school for two years and loved it. I'm going to call tomorrow. Hopefully they can help move me in the right direction. This is pretty confusing. In high school the guidance counselor helped move everything along. I regret my decision to not go now.

Return to “Advice and Venting”