Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: E+E - It's all about ME! Part 20

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

MommaLindsey2 wrote: His personality reminds me of my second. He had colic for 3 months and he is still whiny and clingy even at 14 months. We are working on it though. I feel bad for poor Calvin with his neglected neck and bad teeth. People are so cruel talking about him on here, I just can't think of a sweet little boy like that. And yes he is sweet! He is full of hugs and kisses. Yes he is whiny and part of that is his age, he knows what he wants and doesn't know how to ask for it yet. So what if his mom is a psycho. He didn't ask for that and doesn't deserve cruelty. People don't have a problem loving Jackson and the only reason I can think is that Jackson is a little cuter than Calvin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are so right, thanks for putting this into perspective!

I think that because of your own experience, it makes it easier for you to like Cal. I think that my distaste for Calvin comes solely from my feelings toward Ellie (and I think this is the case for a lot of others here too, but I can't speak for others).

Of course a whiney kid isn't particularly appealing, but I think the topic tends to get taken to another level on this board because of the way Ellie acts toward Cal and in turn, the way she acts toward Jackson. Calvin's like a little extension of Ellie, which leads to him absorbing a lot of misdirected "hate" too.

But no matter how bad I feel about disliking an innocent toddler, I don't think I can help but cringe a little when they show scenes of him Image

RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

MommaLindsey2 wrote: I actually like Calvin and think he is getting cuter. He is starting to look like Jackson. I think he just inherited his dads giant teeth. They are starting to straighten after the pacifier was dropped but the pacifier didn't make them bigger. I have said this many times.

His personality reminds me of my second. He had colic for 3 months and he is still whiny and clingy even at 14 months. We are working on it though. I feel bad for poor Calvin with his neglected neck and bad teeth. People are so cruel talking about him on here, I just can't think of a sweet little boy like that. And yes he is sweet! He is full of hugs and kisses. Yes he is whiny and part of that is his age, he knows what he wants and doesn't know how to ask for it yet. So what if his mom is a psycho. He didn't ask for that and doesn't deserve cruelty. People don't have a problem loving Jackson and the only reason I can think is that Jackson is a little cuter than Calvin.
I am really not a fan of Calvin and feel pretty guilty for disliking such a small child. It does seem cruel to criticize a 1 yr old for things totally out of his control, including his appearance. I don't personally make jokes about the way he looks, but I would be lying if I said I'm never amused when others do. I realize that if there is a hell, I'm probably going there.

But I have to say, for the record, that I don't really agree that all the dislike of Calvin stems from his being less attractive than Jackson. It's because his personality is hard to take, he's just not a bright easygoing Motivational Toddler, and the comparison with Jackson's personality and behavior is really unflattering. Also we have watched Ellie transform from a young mother of modest means who lived and breathed for Jackson, to a snotty bitch whose annoyance with Jackson and preference for Calvin is palpable. Their channel changed in really negative ways specifically starting around Calvin's birth. Ellie's love for C and apparent irritation/impatience with J have caused a lot of people to compensate with sympathy and love for a sweet, easy to love little guy who doesn't deserve to be the family scapegoat versus C's golden child.

Basically I feel like Calvin is just not appealing or easy to love. People who have children of their own with traits simmilar to C are probably more prone to be sympathetic to him and find him endearing. And in the real world, children come in all shapes and sizes and personalities. But E+J have made themselves and their children public figures and the subject of entertainment and even hate-watching without consideration for the fact that not every child is going to be appealing to every viewer. That's been exacerbated by Ellie's blatant favoritism.

My educated guess is that if J and C's roles were swapped, this board would be filled with sympathy for C, even if he looked and acted the same as he does now. Though of course, it's hard to say how much of his behavior and personality have been shaped by Ellie's devotion to and selection of him as the favorite.

Personal Story Warning - I realize a lot of things have changed in the last 25-30 years in terms of the way people relate to infants/children and our expectations for parenting children who might be more difficult or "high needs." And I am probably being old-fashioned or unevolved or whatever... But I have a younger brother who I suppose might be considered "high needs" today. He was a clingy, temperamental baby with separation anxiety from our mom, and no interest in our dad, who grew into an ADHD child with a strong personality and very loud voice. I see a lot of parallels with Calvin there, and we of course loved him to pieces because we were a family. But the traits described were something to overcome as opposed to indulge and favor. He has grown into a caring, handsome man with healthy relationships and zero entitlement issues... But a lot of effort and work went into his development (which did not consist of indulging him or applauding his whining/tantrums as being "cute.") I realize this is a dated perspective in some ways, but it's at least an explanation of where I'm coming from.

Sorry for the novel! Anyway, I do agree he inherited some unfortunate teeth. I hope E+J's success lasts long enough to pay for the orthodontist bills. It is really sad and humiliating for low-income kids to come of age with crooked teeth that aren't their fault.
Pency
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Pency »

LOL! I noticed today that Ellie purchased the YETI cooler. Yesterday "Do I WANT it, but do I NEED it?" The answer is no, Ellie. You did not NEED a $300 cooler to drive to Washington. It's fine if you want it, but it's not a necessity.

She drives me nuts. Ugh.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Some kids are just annoying. If you can honestly say you've never met one and thought that, then you're either a saint or you haven't been around kids much.

Whiny, spoiled kids aren't exactly the first kids invited to play dates.

I have a whiny, clingy toddler as well, but that doesn't mean I expect the world to have as much patience with him as I do. I'm desperately trying to break what I see as bad habits.... not enable/encourage them like Ellie.

Personality is a strong factor for me and I prefer Jackson's over Calvin. It has nothing to do with his looks or his mother. After all, Jackson does have the same mother so praising him is still praising Ellie.
IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Unread post by IceCreamCone »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
RecklessDisregard wrote:
natalka81 wrote: I think it's not really anyone's fault. Lots of kids have pacifiers hanging out of their mouths for much longer than Calvin. I'm not a huge fan of pacifiers but I kind of think this must be more a hereditary thing than a pacifier thing. I think he's an adorable little boy regardless :)
It's Calvin's first compliment! :D

I'm not a pacifier hater, and have known plenty of kids who kept theirs much longer than Calvin did. But those kids' pacifiers didn't have stuffed animals hanging off them. I hate Wubanubs!
I actually like Calvin and think he is getting cuter. He is starting to look like Jackson. I think he just inherited his dads giant teeth. They are starting to straighten after the pacifier was dropped but the pacifier didn't make them bigger. I have said this many times.

His personality reminds me of my second. He had colic for 3 months and he is still whiny and clingy even at 14 months. We are working on it though. I feel bad for poor Calvin with his neglected neck and bad teeth. People are so cruel talking about him on here, I just can't think of a sweet little boy like that. And yes he is sweet! He is full of hugs and kisses. Yes he is whiny and part of that is his age, he knows what he wants and doesn't know how to ask for it yet. So what if his mom is a psycho. He didn't ask for that and doesn't deserve cruelty. People don't have a problem loving Jackson and the only reason I can think is that Jackson is a little cuter than Calvin.

I think you're projecting you own child onto your view of Calvin. Some of us just don't see what you see. That's fine. If it shouldn't be about looks, what does it matter that Calvin's teeth are starting to straighten and he's looking more like Jackson? I'm fairly certain he could be the most adorable kid ever, but with the same personality we would all still gravitate more towards Jackson.

Also, it would be a lot easier to believe you feel this criticism is wrong, if you hadn't made similar complaints about Lincoln being whiny before, and Ollie being a brat :? Those comments are fine but comments about Cal aren't?
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

IceCreamCone wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:
RecklessDisregard wrote: It's Calvin's first compliment! :D

I'm not a pacifier hater, and have known plenty of kids who kept theirs much longer than Calvin did. But those kids' pacifiers didn't have stuffed animals hanging off them. I hate Wubanubs!
I actually like Calvin and think he is getting cuter. He is starting to look like Jackson. I think he just inherited his dads giant teeth. They are starting to straighten after the pacifier was dropped but the pacifier didn't make them bigger. I have said this many times.

I think you're projecting you own child onto your view of Calvin. Some of us just don't see what you see. That's fine. If it shouldn't be about looks, what does it matter that Calvin's teeth are starting to straighten and he's looking more like Jackson? I'm fairly certain he could be the most adorable kid ever, but with the same personality we would all still gravitate more towards Jackson.

Also, it would be a lot easier to believe you feel this criticism is wrong, if you hadn't made similar complaints about Lincoln being whiny before, and Ollie being a brat :? Those comments are fine but comments about Cal aren't?
I happen to be one of the few that like Ollie I think he's a sweet little boy and not a brat, just spoiled and I love Lincoln! My sons name is Lincoln so I am biased and no I didn't name him after Bonnie's kid I came up with the name before I started watching her. I was just questioning lincolns speech and have defended his whining because it's normal for babies their age. Lord knows my son does a lot of whining. I like all the YouTube babies I watch. The kids are why I still watch because I don't really like the parents anymore. Please give me examples of Calvin being difficult or a bad kid on camera? Yes he is a bad sleeper and Ellie coddles him but that's not his fault. Every clip I've seen he has been very sweet. I am happy for him that he is finally talking and starting to show his personality and I love how he plays with his little stuffed animals. Calvin in a way is nothing like my son but does remind me of his neediness, not that extreme though! My kid doesn't get rocked to sleep he definitely looks nothing like him. ;)

Calvin seems to be getting better though and playing by himself more lately. I don't think Ellie likes that, she needs him to be needy and clingy. Now that he's not she will have another baby asap to take his place. Part of him improving probably has to do with the kids finally having a decent amount of toys and space to play. In that apartment they had no toys and the few they had were locked up in a closet all the time. What else did Calvin have to do but whine and beg to be picked up.

IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Unread post by IceCreamCone »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
IceCreamCone wrote:
I happen to be one of the few that like Ollie I think he's a sweet little boy and not a brat, just spoiled and I love Lincoln! My sons name is Lincoln so I am biased and no I didn't name him after Bonnie's kid I came up with the name before I started watching her. I was just questioning lincolns speech and have defended his whining because it's normal for babies their age. Lord knows my son does a lot of whining. I like all the YouTube babies I watch. The kids are why I still watch because I don't really like the parents anymore. Please give me examples of Calvin being difficult or a bad kid on camera? Yes he is a bad sleeper and Ellie coddles him but that's not his fault. Every clip I've seen he has been very sweet. I am happy for him that he is finally talking and starting to show his personality and I love how he plays with his little stuffed animals. Calvin in a way is nothing like my son but does remind me of his neediness, not that extreme though! My kid doesn't get rocked to sleep he definitely looks nothing like him. ;)

Calvin seems to be getting better though and playing by himself more lately. I don't think Ellie likes that, she needs him to be needy and clingy. Now that he's not she will have another baby asap to take his place. Part of him improving probably has to do with the kids finally having a decent amount of toys and space to play. In that apartment they had no toys and the few they had were locked up in a closet all the time. What else did Calvin have to do but whine and beg to be picked up.

I think you just have more patience than some of us. I don't think anyone is saying he's an unkind or evil kid, it's just he's off-putting. There isn't really a better way to describe it!

I do not see what you see in Calvin, but I'm glad he has an advocate ;)
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Ellie pretending to cry to get Calvin to hug her is the epitome of what is wrong with Ellie as a person and a mother.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

IceCreamCone wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:
IceCreamCone wrote:

I think you just have more patience than some of us. I don't think anyone is saying he's an unkind or evil kid, it's just he's off-putting. There isn't really a better way to describe it!

I do not see what you see in Calvin, but I'm glad he has an advocate ;)

Exactly nobody really has a reason to dislike him. The only two reasons I can come up with are that Ellie loves him so much that she neglects Jackson and his looks. There have been all kinds of nasty comments about his looks that have really made me uncomfortable, maybe because I have friends with kids who have disabilities. It makes me sick thinking of people talking badly about them. Not saying Calvin is disabled, we don't know that yet, and Ellie would probably never share that information.

I just hope the poor kid doesn't come here when he is older and read any of this stuff. It is just so mean spirited to talk so badly about kids to me. Sure there are kids that bug me. There was one just the other day who was 6 and wouldn't stop hugging on my 1 year old. He was a stranger and it was making me uncomfortable. I just don't post how badly kids annoy me on a public forum. I do love kids and have more patience than most people though. I would have even more kids if I didn't have such terrible pregnancies.

actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

the only reasonable explanation i can come up with as to why most of us can't warm up to calvin is similar to animals in the wild, when a sickly little animal is born and the other animals can sense it. it sounds a bit cruel, really, but it totally applies in some situations with humans as well.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

actuallydear wrote:the only reasonable explanation i can come up with as to why most of us can't warm up to calvin is similar to animals in the wild, when a sickly little animal is born and the other animals can sense it. it sounds a bit cruel, really, but it totally applies in some situations with humans as well.
Exactly. It seems like many of us have had the same reaction to him from the start, but have been unable to articulate what it is. I think you're right, it's something subconscious and instinctual. Like he gives us an uneasy feeling?

There is no way to protect Cal from comments as he gets older. His parents have chose to make his life public, and we have every right to discuss that. We are doing so here, where they don't have to see it unless they go searching. As you've said many times, this is a gossip site, and commenting on the children is part of a family vlog. I think given that most of us are articulate and empathetic individuals, it's safe to say that we wouldn't comment on Calvin in quite the same way if he had a known disability. Compared to the typical child though, he is an odd duck and it's hard not to notice/discuss that.
Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

workfromhomemom wrote:I can't quote the link from above for some reason, but that's what I am referring to.

I am totally laughing because remember the infamous clip when Ellie told Jared to say friend's house instead of the babysitter for Jackson. I wonder if Penny is at a kennel and not a friend's house. LOL
That exact thought went through my head. There are kennels that do just puppies.

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

IceCreamCone wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:
RecklessDisregard wrote: It's Calvin's first compliment! :D

I always feel footage of Calvin is forced and they are trying to say Calvin is cute and sweet. He was not cute or sweet or corrected when he was all over Lincoln. Jackson is just naturally a likeable kid. I have said it before it does not help Calvin that he is an extension of Ellie. Hopefully as he becomes more independent he will separate from her and become more likeable.
I also fear he will fall and knock out his front teeth. If he does will Ellie get a flipper like the pageant kids wear

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
actuallydear wrote:the only reasonable explanation i can come up with as to why most of us can't warm up to calvin is similar to animals in the wild, when a sickly little animal is born and the other animals can sense it. it sounds a bit cruel, really, but it totally applies in some situations with humans as well.
Exactly. It seems like many of us have had the same reaction to him from the start, but have been unable to articulate what it is. I think you're right, it's something subconscious and instinctual. Like he gives us an uneasy feeling?

There is no way to protect Cal from comments as he gets older. His parents have chose to make his life public, and we have every right to discuss that. We are doing so here, where they don't have to see it unless they go searching. As you've said many times, this is a gossip site, and commenting on the children is part of a family vlog. I think given that most of us are articulate and empathetic individuals, it's safe to say that we wouldn't comment on Calvin in quite the same way if he had a known disability. Compared to the typical child though, he is an odd duck and it's hard not to notice/discuss that.
I agree. For myself, I don't know if it is he has such a great older brother who reminds me of one of my own or I try to be respectful by saying his appearance negatively reminds me of Ellie and her brother. When they put Jackson downstairs, oddly I blamed Calvin which is a decision I realize he didn't make.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Ducklings4 wrote:
IceCreamCone wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote: I actually like Calvin and think he is getting cuter. He is starting to look like Jackson. I think he just inherited his dads giant teeth. They are starting to straighten after the pacifier was dropped but the pacifier didn't make them bigger. I have said this many times.

I always feel footage of Calvin is forced and they are trying to say Calvin is cute and sweet. He was not cute or sweet or corrected when he was all over Lincoln. Jackson is just naturally a likeable kid. I have said it before it does not help Calvin that he is an extension of Ellie. Hopefully as he becomes more independent he will separate from her and become more likeable.
I also fear he will fall and knock out his front teeth. If he does will Ellie get a flipper like the pageant kids wear

Do you think the permanent teeth will come in differently?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

HelloSweetie wrote:

While I agree that there's no real way to protect Calvin from comments like these since his parents have decided to broadcast his entire life on the internet, and that by coming to a site like this we're essentially saying we're okay with gossiping about these real-life families, I am still uncomfortable about commenting on things that are not within the person's control. Calvin cannot help his teeth or even for that matter, his behaviour (which I don't think is bad at all). He is a baby. I feel like commenting on parents' decisions to feed their kids crap or letting them mount the family dog is okay but commenting on anyone's physical appearance just isn't fair. I suppose maybe if you don't like someone's choice of hairstyle or make-up that's one thing, but criticising a baby's teeth just makes me feel a bit yucky. I am sure we are all mostly empathetic and articulate individuals like you've said, and that we just differ in the way we express ourselves. I certainly don't think anyone here is a bad person or anything, I am just uncomfortable with comments about people's bodies in general. That's just my take on it, anyway :)
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Ellie pretending to cry to get Calvin to hug her is the epitome of what is wrong with Ellie as a person and a mother.
Agreed. Such troubling behavior!
Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

shelbyanne wrote:[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201701 ... 46a232.png[/img]

They can't even admit it's a dog sitter. Penny is with a "friend" having a play date guys.

Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

That scene with Calvin and Lincoln was making me cringe today. It was pretty normal behavior from a toddler that age, but it should have been corrected. Calvin was purposefully pissing off his cousin and taking his toy away from him. He went up to Lincoln with the intention of antagonizing him. While it may be cute right now, the giggling about it only reinforces the behavior and it won't be cute in a few years. They are appropriate ways to tell Calvin to play nicely with his cousin or to let him be and instead Elli just saw it as adorable

Return to “Ellie and Jared”