Bonnie and Joel: Spreading all the HERPES Part 8

nc_mom
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Spreading all the HERPES Part 8

Unread post by nc_mom »

The tongue episode had me cringing. Olivia clearly had an emergency and a very painful one. She was very distressed, frightened and hurting. What decent mother would continue filming her child and posting it over the internet for thousands of strangers to watch? Is there nothing that these vloggers hold sacred? I'm surprised more people have not called her out on that but I'm assuming most of her viewers who comment on the vlog are immature children more interested in commenting about the donuts than Olivia's right to privacy. There should be child protective laws regarding what you can post on social media and youTube. These poor children have no say in this and have become cash cows for their parents looking to make a quick buck by filming them instead of going out and actually working for a living instead of using their children as a means of support...sickening!
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

rdt1004 wrote:I was watching Samika the other day and Sam mentioned the local news has been cautioning parents about letting their small dogs and children out into the freezing cold they are having. They all live in the same town, I'm surprised Bonnie had her kids outside at all.
Because she's already expressed being overwhelmed at having four kids, so the yard is a good place to put them regardless of the sub zero temperature. I found the scene of Joel napping in the basement...ugh...I can't even find the appropriate adjective. I agree with tratra ref Bonnie's comment's upstairs when she described a picnic blanket lunch, which sounded perfectly lovely and innocuous. Then she goes on this rant about blanket training. Which one is it?
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

phie20 wrote:To me, part of why Olivia reacted this embarrassed comes from her being treated the reasonable one all the time. She's just a little child, but Bonnie (and the other Griffiths too) has a different perspective on age and adulthood. Every kid has a role, it has to stick to. Like Olivia is the responsible one. Being unhappy about it is not acceptable. You always have to be happy. So Olivias ashamed of getting into this situation.
You raise a valid point. Shame, and ergo guilt, appears to be a staple within Mormonism. Or, within Griffithism. My antennae picks up on it, having been raised by staunch Irish Catholics.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
DCarmen26
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by DCarmen26 »

Was it just me or did Olivia say "can you cut this part out?" when Bonnie had her look at her tongue in the viewfinder? When they first walked into the kitchen, that's what it sounded like to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Scar2016 wrote:
rdt1004 wrote:I was watching Samika the other day and Sam mentioned the local news has been cautioning parents about letting their small dogs and children out into the freezing cold they are having. They all live in the same town, I'm surprised Bonnie had her kids outside at all.
Because she's already expressed being overwhelmed at having four kids, so the yard is a good place to put them regardless of the sub zero temperature. I found the scene of Joel napping in the basement...ugh...I can't even find the appropriate adjective. I agree with tratra ref Bonnie's comment's upstairs when she described a picnic blanket lunch, which sounded perfectly lovely and innocuous. Then she goes on this rant about blanket training. Which one is it?

Ok, seeing Joel nap as much as they show is a bit ...can't think of the adjective too lol... It has only been a short time he has been home, but I think if this goes on for years, this is a teaching moment on setting an example for working for his children. Doing not much at home or working so much less than full-time could leave your children thinking this is normal way of life. Or a better way of looking at it is the lack of ambition you see with two stay at home YouTubers. I will not limited this to just Bonnie and Joel either. But no one (YouTubers) shows nap times as much as they've done and the ones who complain how tired they are get slammed too.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

tratra58 wrote:
Scar2016 wrote:

Ok, seeing Joel nap as much as they show is a bit ...can't think of the adjective too lol... It has only been a short time he has been home, but I think if this goes on for years, this is a teaching moment on setting an example for working for his children. Doing not much at home or working so much less than full-time could leave your children thinking this is normal way of life. Or a better way of looking at it is the lack of ambition you see with two stay at home YouTubers. I will not limited this to just Bonnie and Joel either. But no one (YouTubers) shows nap times as much as they've done and the ones who complain how tired they are get slammed too.
I totally agree. I think I said almost the exact same thing a couple of days ago. That Joel staying home and napping, and the others napping (Jared and the Lannings and Hollisters can't seem to sit on a couch without falling asleep) and complaining about how tired they are is modeling really bad work ethics to their children. It seems that all these children are going to grow up thinking you don't need an education or hard work to make a ton of money, and that the money is more important than happiness in your job, privacy, or simply pride in a job well done. Olivia is probably the only one of Bonnie's kids that will really remember dad working outside the home, unless he gets a business after all.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
just_me
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by just_me »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:When your child is hurt and screaming, and your first reaction is to grab your camera, there's a problem.
A thousand likes for this. When the first instinct is thinking this will make great footage for your vlog (which equals more views and money), there is a problem and you need to stop vlogging. Or at least take a good look at what you vlog. Olivia is possibly going to be less likely to want to be on camera after today and I hope that if she tells Bonnie and Joel (or any of her aunt's & uncle's) that she doesn't want to be filmed, they respect her wishes.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

About today's vlog: I was also very uncomfortable with Bonnie vlogging about Olivia's injury since it was clear Olivia was very upset and didn't want it to be filmed. I don't think Bonnie was unhelpful or unloving with Olivia, and I am an not even completely bothered by the fact that she recorded the incident (as in, I think it's weird and uncalled for but I don't think her recording made her necessarily less focused on her daughter), but putting it on the internet for everyone to see after it was clear Olivia didn't want that and was so upset was just wrong. I fast forwarded it because I felt bad watching a child screaming. What I suspect might happen, too, is that after all these comments (and there were some in the comments section from viewers too) is that Bonnie will say some passive aggressive thing about how Olivia was totally fine with her sharing the video, and really loved watching it after or something. Or, she might say something like isn't it great that the viewers are now educated about the dangers of licking cold metal? (which of course could have been shared without showing 10 minutes of a screaming child).I would be more impressed if Bonnie were to take our comments seriously and not defensively and apologize for putting this video up and remove it. I think she does lots of things right as a mother, honestly, but this vlog was not one of her shining moments.
red3head
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by red3head »

She didn't grab the camera after she saw what happened. She was already filming herself. My son has wanted to try licking a pole after seeing that movie and this video would be great to show him what could really happen. She got the camera out of Olivia's face when she asked and was there comforting her. This was unscripted real life. Shit happens, kids do dumb things. I would much rather watch real videos than ones where they only show the perfect, happy things of their day.

natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

red3head wrote:She didn't grab the camera after she saw what happened. She was already filming herself. My son has wanted to try licking a pole after seeing that movie and this video would be great to show him what could really happen. She got the camera out of Olivia's face when she asked and was there comforting her. This was unscripted real life. Shit happens, kids do dumb things. I would much rather watch real videos than ones where they only show the perfect, happy things of their day.

I agree with this. I guess my thing is that there are other ways to do it that wouldn't have to involve sharing so much detail, especially since I really got the sense that Olivia was uncomfortable with it. And yes, you're right that she was already filming before the injury, at least that's how I interpreted it, too.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

Yeah, but why keep filming? Why take the time to put it down outside, then bring it back in and position it on the counter so it can perfectly capture your kid screeching in pain? Especially when she's very scared and embarrassed. I get that she was already filming, but she should have put the camera aside and tended to her daughter instead of worrying about getting the footage of it.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

RootBeerFloatie wrote:Yeah, but why keep filming? Why take the time to put it down outside, then bring it back in and position it on the counter so it can perfectly capture your kid screeching in pain? Especially when she's very scared and embarrassed. I get that she was already filming, but she should have put the camera aside and tended to her daughter instead of worrying about getting the footage of it.
Exactly!
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

You guys are acting like she pushed Olivia into frame. I didn't get he impression that she was worrying about footage more than Olivia in that moment. Other vloggers you can tell footage is on their mind because they look themselves in the viewfinder instead of their child. She put the camera down on the counter and tended to Olivia right at the door. I side-eye showing so much... not failing to turn the camera off first.
Snootfullofhoneybees
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Snootfullofhoneybees »

DCarmen26 wrote:Was it just me or did Olivia say "can you cut this part out?" when Bonnie had her look at her tongue in the viewfinder? When they first walked into the kitchen, that's what it sounded like to me.

I thought I heard this too. I'm normally in the Bonnie camp but this was in poor taste. I understand that she was already filming, but I feel like if she wasn't so focused on the camera she would've been faster to throw some shoes on and book it out the door. And telling Olivia to look into the camera and look at her tongue was pointless lol all that does is freak her out!
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Snootfullofhoneybees wrote:
DCarmen26 wrote:Was it just me or did Olivia say "can you cut this part out?" when Bonnie had her look at her tongue in the viewfinder? When they first walked into the kitchen, that's what it sounded like to me.

I thought I heard this too. I'm normally in the Bonnie camp but this was in poor taste. I understand that she was already filming, but I feel like if she wasn't so focused on the camera she would've been faster to throw some shoes on and book it out the door. And telling Olivia to look into the camera and look at her tongue was pointless lol all that does is freak her out!
Olivia is a ham in front of the camera. She was relieved she wasn't in trouble, got extra special treatment from mom with a minor injury that had no bleeding.

Rule one, never show a kid an injury unless you want more freaking out...good point.
Last edited by tratra58 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Unread post by IceCreamCone »

I think Bonnie showed too much of the footage, but I don't mind her showing some of what happened, especially since the camera was already running. I mean, like it or not vlogging is their chosen profession. We do buy their product by watching, and aren't we watching for interesting content? A child having a relatable accident is interesting content for some people. Yes it comes at the cost of Olivia's privacy, but we do enable that by watching. I don't think she posted anything against Olivia's wishes. I think she likely edited while they were sitting there together that night. I mean, it didn't seem like Olivia was reluctant to have it shown or discussed in the vlog when she was showing and telling how much better it had gotten.

Ellie actually lost Jackson and didn't even take a second to talk to him before vlogging and talking about it. She got less criticism for it than Bonnie is for just leaving her camera on, after an injury that wasn't even her fault. Not everything needs to be a 10 on the outrage scale. For me this is typical of YouTubers, maybe even mildly better, and its side-eye worthy, but not shocking or scandalous.
IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

tratra58 wrote:
Snootfullofhoneybees wrote:

Olivia is a ham in front of the camera. She was relieved she wasn't in trouble, got extra special treatment from mom with a minor injury with no bleeding.

Rule one, never show a kid an injury unless you want more freaking out...good point.

The filming is outside the bathroom so that is my criteria.
I think there was bleeding. That's why she needed to spit into the cup.

gross btw.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Olivia is a ham in front of the camera. She was relieved she wasn't in trouble, got extra special treatment from mom with a minor injury with no bleeding.

The filming is outside the bathroom so that is my criteria.[/quote]

I think there was bleeding. That's why she needed to spit into the cup.

gross btw.[/quote]

My criteria for bleeding is far worst than this. It was minimal at best.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

IceCreamCone wrote:I think Bonnie showed too much of the footage, but I don't mind her showing some of what happened, especially since the camera was already running. I mean, like it or not vlogging is their chosen profession. We do buy their product by watching, and aren't we watching for interesting content? A child having a relatable accident is interesting content for some people. Yes it comes at the cost of Olivia's privacy, but we do enable that by watching. I don't think she posted anything against Olivia's wishes. I think she likely edited while they were sitting there together that night. I mean, it didn't seem like Olivia was reluctant to have it shown or discussed in the vlog when she was showing and telling how much better it had gotten.

Ellie actually lost Jackson and didn't even take a second to talk to him before vlogging and talking about it. She got less criticism for it than Bonnie is for just leaving her camera on, after an injury that wasn't even her fault. Not everything needs to be a 10 on the outrage scale. For me this is typical of YouTubers, maybe even mildly better, and its side-eye worthy, but not shocking or scandalous.
I think kids get hurt and I don't believe there is one mother who hasn't loose sight of their child.

Neither of these two moms did anything wrong. Ellie found Jackson, Bonnie treated the injury and family vlogging is what they both do now which pays their bill.

Whether it intrudes on privacy with their children is left up to the parents. However, I think common sense should prevail with these decisions and it subjective if others agree.
IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

tratra58 wrote:
Neither of these two moms did anything wrong. Ellie found Jackson, Bonnie treated the injury and family vlogging is what they both do now which pays their bill.

Whether it intrudes on privacy with their children is left up to the parents. However, I think common sense should prevail with these decisions and it subjective if others agree.
My point wasn't that Ellie was worse for losing track of him, but how she handled it once she found him. She didn't talk to him at all, but to the camera. In my opinion that's a concern for the vlog and footage rather than for the child. People are saying that's what they see with Bonnie, but I'm saying Ellie was a better example of a mother that was more concerned with capturing a good vlogging moment than the feelings of their child. I thought Bonnie was surprisingly engaged because I have definitely seen worse as of late.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”