Bonnie and Joel: Kidses Family Vacation (Part 10)

alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Kidses Family Vacation (Part 10)

Unread post by alym0326 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
alym0326 wrote:Trying to change the topic, how is it possible that Ellie is more progressive than Bonnie when it comes to their children's education? Jacksons younger than Boston and in school. While I don't think Bonnie's the smartest I think she's a better mother than Ellie and smarter. Hopefully Boston will start school this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you mean because Jackson is in school? There was some questionable timing around that decision. It came about after she said he was being "bad" a lot. I think putting Jackson in school had more to do with Ellie needing a break than it did wanting Jackson to learn. He's signed up, but seems to miss a lot of days.

But as others have pointed out, no matter the reason why Jackson ended up in school, the break is probably a good thing. Difficult kid... or not. I hope Boston is able to start preschool next year. Given history I do doubt it though...
I think Jackson joined school around when I stopped watching/reading the thread, so I had no clue that him joining had a questionable motive. Can't say I'm surprised that it's more of a break for Ellie than a learning environment for Jackson.

Boston is such a bright kid, he's very inquisitive and lately I've found he speaks very well (at least compared to how he used to speak a year ago) I think he would excel in school. I'm hopeful but doubtful that he'll go as well.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

^^^^ Ellie filmed a video all about getting Jackson ready for school "in the fall." Then, all of a sudden, he started school two or three days later as though it had been the plan all along (none of the aforementioned preparations had happened yet). She had mentioned just days before though that he'd been mean to her lately, and very difficult. As with most things E&J do, it didn't add up. She did seem extra annoyed and impatient with him around that time though. He seemed happy to start school because I honestly think he's as sick of her as she is of him!
Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

Of course Jackson was happy to start school. I'm sure the teacher there gives him the stickers he rightfully deserves god.

I too would love to see Boston enrolled in preschool. He would really thrive.

PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by PostyMcPosterston »

Wasn't there some reasoning (maybe not on a rational day) Bonnie gave as to why she didn't put her kids in pre-school. Or was it at least Cody? I'm curious what it is, and am sure people on here remember.

I'm sure I won't think it's a good excuse, but I just want to know.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

lmmomSD wrote:
tratra58 wrote:Correction "I did hear Olivia say she didn't like dance...I don't think she misses it.
If she doesn't miss it, then I guess this is all us being silly ( what a shock, lol)
I do think that finding something Olivia loves that's _hers_, and maybe piano is it, is a good thing. Especially in that environment where being a wife and mother is the pinnacle of achievement for a girl.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
I wouldn't have noticed this if it wasn't pointed out since I skip through this vlog. I also think the piano is Bonnie, but we shall see if she keeps on. It gets real old arguing with a child who dislikes piano they need to practice and without this you don't see good results in playing. I am unsure how Bonnie is with seeing that her children enjoys an extra activity? So far Joel has been the one teaching them to ski.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

PostyMcPosterston wrote:Wasn't there some reasoning (maybe not on a rational day) Bonnie gave as to why she didn't put her kids in pre-school. Or was it at least Cody? I'm curious what it is, and am sure people on here remember.

I'm sure I won't think it's a good excuse, but I just want to know.

I have not heard a reason why they don't send their children to a preschool program.

I've been a proponent for preschool after seeing Cody's lack of preparedness for school. A couple of mornings or afternoons a week would be a good thing to improve social and academic skills for Boston. Winters are long and the kids spend too much time in the afternoon watching television and there just is not much learning going on. A while back, I put up articles talking about Utah in particular looking to move towards all day kindergarten since the kids were unprepared for school and this would be a way to catch them up so my thoughts were Bonnie and Joel were typical of their area.

It is interesting E+J put Jackson in preschool who is younger than Boston? We know Ruby's history with school and this is surprising with her married to someone who teaches in higher education.
freshEyremom
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by freshEyremom »

It's money and convenience. She doesn't want them in school till it's 1) free 2) they get a bus. Less work and cost. In Utah you will see people spend a fortune on their house. Mother dressed and made up. 4 or 5 kids (if 5 1 adopted.) But the kids just run the streets. Look how much they spend per child in the schools for education funding. That will give you an idea about the general priorities there.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

freshEyremom wrote:It's money and convenience. She doesn't want them in school till it's 1) free 2) they get a bus. Less work and cost. In Utah you will see people spend a fortune on their house. Mother dressed and made up. 4 or 5 kids (if 5 1 adopted.) But the kids just run the streets. Look how much they spend per child in the schools for education funding. That will give you an idea about the general priorities there.
Is the preschool program in Utah not free? It is here in Georgia.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
freshEyremom wrote:It's money and convenience. She doesn't want them in school till it's 1) free 2) they get a bus. Less work and cost. In Utah you will see people spend a fortune on their house. Mother dressed and made up. 4 or 5 kids (if 5 1 adopted.) But the kids just run the streets. Look how much they spend per child in the schools for education funding. That will give you an idea about the general priorities there.

I don't think preschool is free in most states and in fact the push for full day kindergarten has been a challenge due to cost.
PostyMcPosterston
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by PostyMcPosterston »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:

I thought preschool through public schooling is free to at least very cheap, too. It is here in Houston anyway. I just don't understand the mentality or lack of mentality of wanting your kids in some kind of educational setting if you can afford it.

We pay a shitload to send our boys to a good school, and we probably only make a fraction of that Bonnie does.

I know I believe heavily on education starting young (mix of self-guided and teaching), but I think the vast majority of this board agrees there should be some education going on. And if it's not going on in the house, get your child in a place where they will help!

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Preschool isn't free here either, which is why I've never been as surprised as everyone else that a stay at home mom wouldn't put her kids in pre-school. I just never assumed it would be covered. Bonnie can obviously afford PS now, but I can see where that may not have been the case with Olivia, and she just continued on with the same pattern with Cody.

I looked it up and it appears that UT is one of 10 states that do not have a state-funded program. I wonder if this is due to the large LDS community and more traditional families? Maybe the assumption is that the parents will be available to teach their children at home?
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I have to give it to Bonnie since she is swimming a lot and I don't think she is in that good of shape. I agree that the kids couldn't have gone with her and Joel and it is an opportunity you couldn't pass up.

As far as preschool, they have the time and money, but it isn't my child. Education has not been number one with Joel and Bonnie whether giving them a head start to kindergarten or pulling children for an extended time during the school year. That is not a positive with parent's choices and I think Joel is just as much to blame as Bonnie.

The culture of this area of the country is different from my experience and while I question it, I respect it. I hadn't seen this traditional families where I will use the example of the Griffiths their son and one daughter earned a college degree, but half expected a husband to take care of them. Even their sister Julie is now home. Today, most college students are women and I've been one to preach to always have the ability to take care of yourself and that happens mainly through education.

Utah doesn't spend much on pre-k compared to other states. Wyoming has no programs. I see southern/western/midwest/eastern states are spending a good amount so I think they must feel the importance of having kids start early.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Wow, they better do something _super_ nice for Belle (that's her name, right?) I don't care if they vlog whatever they do for her, but it better be wonderful. Watching all the kids, cleaning the condo, doing laundry-- she's a sweetheart!
I'm glad she and Joel got to go have a day to themselves-- maybe now she'll ease up on the "it's so different with kids" talk. And swimming with dolphins is definitely an awe-inspiring experience. I am also glad they didn't go to someplace where dolphins are kept in pools for people to "swim" with. My mom went on a trip where they took a boat out, and played Beethoven's Ninth Symphony, and the dolphins came. She never forgot it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
123789s
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by 123789s »

I got chills watching them swim with the dolphins. What an experience. Kids - namely Olivia, would of loved that but defiantly not within their capabilities.
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

I would die of happiness if I could swim with dolphins in the wild like that. How amazing! Bonnies vlogs are making me want to move to Hawaii for a month. I can't afford that though

flowerpuppy
Informer
Informer

Unread post by flowerpuppy »

wow, the dolphin swimming was so amazing! i am very jealous of that experience they got to have, although i'm not jealous of how many risks they took in order to have it (what with them being pretty inexperienced swimmers that far out in the ocean with nothing but a little surf board to hold onto, and being out with unpredictable aggressive wild animals)! they are pretty lucky it apparently went off without a hitch! it was touching to me to see bonnie get so emotional about being close to the dolphins.

i really hope they didn't take that starfish out of the ocean. i don't like that it was still on their board in a later clip

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

They are doing well navigating or traveling around Hawaii. I am torn since I know the kids should be in school, but I can see they are having a nice time. But education isn't a vacation and a necessary part of life. I hope they are really spending time working with them on homework now that their official spring break is over.
freshbalsam
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by freshbalsam »

It's nice to see B&J get out of their comfort zones on this trip. I loved the dolphin vlog! Especially when you think about 2 adults from landlocked Utah swimming pretty deep into the ocean with dolphins. Also, I had no idea Bonnie knew so many people from Hawaii lol

eta: I hope this trip makes them want to encourage their kids to grow up and explore the world around them, learn about new cultures and different parts of the country. It seems that the Griffiths, especially Ellie, would be perfectly fine for her kids to just grow up in Utah and never experience life outside of it.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I had to laugh at them at the mall, because my sisters had told me about Ala Moana Center, and when we went when I was 14, I wanted to go so badly, but my parents said no way we were going to a mall while we were in Hawaii.
I guess the comments about Boston whining are getting to them. I gotta admit, she was handling it really well in the restaurant, just doing what she was doing and ignoring it. He's gotta learn that whining and crying doesn't get him what he wants any faster. So props to her.
Anyone else side eye the photo shoot a little? Why not have nice pictures of the guys too? I get having a special thing just for Olivia because she's the only girl, but they're on a beach in Hawaii, with a paid photographer, and why not get some nice shots of the whole family?
And I really hope they get Cody a surfing lesson. I know he's not a strong swimmer, but they do beginning lessons on tiny little waves for little kids. He obviously wants to so badly!

nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

lmmomSD wrote: Anyone else side eye the photo shoot a little? Why not have nice pictures of the guys too? I get having a special thing just for Olivia because she's the only girl, but they're on a beach in Hawaii, with a paid photographer, and why not get some nice shots of the whole family?

I thought the same thing until I read the description in the video, they did photo of them all but just didn't record it. I was upset until I read that.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”