Bonnie Hoellein

rodgerdodger
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bonnie Hoellein

Unread post by rodgerdodger »

I thought I would make a topic for Ellie's sister too!

Did anyone see her blanket time video? Something about it rubbed me the wrong way. Maybe it was how she kept using the word "obedient" or that it's the same thing the Duggars do (except the Duggars hit their infants with paddles when they leave the blanket) :?
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Bonnie Hoellein

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I really, really like Bonnie and Joel but I have done a WTF watching her a few times.
Her kids running so close to the street/ in the street unsupervised.
I'm guessing she is a spanker. I pray she doesn't follow Babywise though!
Arieya
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Arieya »

Omg, do the Duggars do that? :shock: I love Bonnie and I'm not quite sure how I feel about this "Blanket Time" thing. I guess I will need to see more of her videos to really tell if I like her parenting style. It's a little strange that Boston almost never whines though. I remember watching the "Elf on the Shelf" videos and others when they would leave Boston sitting on the table for quite a while and he doesn't even get antsy.

"Blanket Time" might explain this but if Bonnie really follows Babywise then it's possible Boston just knows crying won't do any good :( I hate that because crying and fussing is the only way babies know how to communicate. For now though I'm going to try not to judge. Her kids smile enough and I know they are very loved. I must say I'm interested to see how they handle baby #4...
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

YES! Boston on the table! He is always sitting on the table alone. Never in his own seat or highchair. I saw videos from when he was younger, sitting in the boppy, on the table right in front of the half wall to the basement stairs. What would happen if he pushes back and flips himself over the wall?
ohgoodness
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Re: Bonnie Hoelleinas

Unread post by ohgoodness »

nutbagmcgee wrote:YES! Boston on the table! He is always sitting on the table alone. Never in his own seat or highchair. I saw videos from when he was younger, sitting in the boppy, on the table right in front of the half wall to the basement stairs. What would happen if he pushes back and flips himself over the wall?
I remember in one of her Elf on the shelf video he was sitting on the table and they left him there and went into the bathroom.
rodgerdodger
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by rodgerdodger »

Arieya wrote:Omg, do the Duggars do that? :shock: I love Bonnie and I'm not quite sure how I feel about this "Blanket Time" thing. I guess I will need to see more of her videos to really tell if I like her parenting style. It's a little strange that Boston almost never whines though. I remember watching the "Elf on the Shelf" videos and others when they would leave Boston sitting on the table for quite a while and he doesn't even get antsy.

"Blanket Time" might explain this but if Bonnie really follows Babywise then it's possible Boston just knows crying won't do any good :( I hate that because crying and fussing is the only way babies know how to communicate. For now though I'm going to try not to judge. Her kids smile enough and I know they are very loved. I must say I'm interested to see how they handle baby #4...
Unfortunately yeah they do. They start "blanket training" at around 4 months so it's more extreme then what Bonnie is talking about (The Duggars also follow Gothard who said if a child was sexually assaulted that it was the child's fault, and the authors of "To Train Up a Child" which has been linked to numerous cases of death by abuse). So like I said, it is clearly not as extreme as that, but the fact that Bonnie follows trends like these make me really anxious. I really hope she doesn't hit or spank her kids, but it is seeming more and more that she does.
idontknowwhattoput
Talker
Talker

Unread post by idontknowwhattoput »

What's wrong with spanking?
ohgoodness
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I watched the blanket time video and I really like that idea. My son NEVER sits still. Doctor appointments are hell! I think I'm going to try it if it really does teach them.
Arieya
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Arieya »

idontknowwhattoput wrote:What's wrong with spanking?
Outdated parenting technique. Authoritative parenting (using positive reinforcement) has been shown to produce happier and well mannered kids than authoritarian parenting.

Sorry for the technical terms, I minored in psychology.
imsobored
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by imsobored »

Arieya wrote:
Outdated parenting technique. Authoritative parenting (using positive reinforcement) has been shown to produce happier and well mannered kids than authoritarian parenting.

Oh come on. I have also taken some psychology courses and your post suggests that you are not at all sorry for using technical terms, otherwise you wouldn't have used them to begin with.
EleanorRigby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by EleanorRigby »

imsobored wrote:
Arieya wrote:

Oh come on. I have also taken some psychology courses and your post suggests that you are not at all sorry for using technical terms, otherwise you wouldn't have used them to begin with.

Lol right? More like, "I minored in psychology therefore I know more than you so don't bother arguing with my superior college mind."
Arieya
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Arieya »

Alyshaxx wrote:
imsobored wrote:
Lol right? More like, "I minored in psychology therefore I know more than you so don't bother arguing with my superior college mind."
Lol that part was only a side note, it's not even the point of my message. Sounds to me like your both just getting angry because you probably spank your children.

And to the person who said they've taken psychology classes...then you should know that spanking doesn't produce the best results.
ohgoodness
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Arieya wrote: Lol that part was only a side note, it's not even the point of my message. Sounds to me like your both just getting angry because you probably spank your children.

And to the person who said they've taken psychology classes...then you should know that spanking doesn't produce the best results.
How in the world did you gather that they spank their children from what they said? Or if they even have children?
EleanorRigby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by EleanorRigby »

Yeah I don't even have children but okay lol
Arieya
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Arieya »

Ok well you sure got defensive really quick for not having children. Why don't you just state your opinion or tell me what's wrong with the theory instead of being rude about it? I have 2 kids and I was spanked with wooden spoons and belts as a child, so yes I have pretty strong views about not spanking my own. However, I simply stated that's what I just learned in psychology... I never said i wasn't open for discussion. You do know there are many opposing views in the field anyway right?
ohgoodness
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I can see how someone would think that Bonnie spanks her children but that is her business. Her children seem really well behaved but they're children so I suspect them to get out of line sometimes. At the end of the day, it seems her methods are effective.

There was a video I watched of hers where she was talking about feeling like she is the only Mom that yells at her kids or something like that. I like how real she was being. Everyone puts up this front like they're an angel of a mom and their kids do no wrong, yeah right, bullshit and I'm the tooth fairy.
mommaof2cuties
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by mommaof2cuties »

I thought it was a little strange towards the end when one of them was getting off the blanket she edited how she reacted and how they got back on the blanket out
Arieya
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Arieya »

I honestly wonder if Joel is really excited about this pregnancy. Bonnie says he is but he hasn't looked it. He seemed like he was trying to be a supportive husband, but that he wasn't excited in the least.
AEM210
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by AEM210 »

He also mentioned in the pregnancy test video that it takes him a little while because he thinks about how he's the provider and knows what a big responsibility each child is. I'm guessing they're only in their 20's if her sister Ellie is 23 ( I know Bonnie is older) they could have quite a large family and I'm guessing that's dawning on him.
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Joel seems really practical but overwhelmed right now. I think he adores his kids and Bonnie too and will be ok. She even cried because she is scared!

I did notice he didn't say his trademark "I had a really nice time" at the end of that video. OMG! That would have been a hoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”