Bonnie and Joel: Don't Call Me Bud - Part 5

staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Don't Call Me Bud - Part 5

Unread post by staceymj »

Madsmom110 wrote:
LydiaE wrote:I don't think it's okay for your kid to not know the alphabet, colors, some advanced shapes, and to be able to detect some basic sight words upon kindergarten enrollment if you're a SAHM. You're there giving your child individual attention for 4-5 years.

I didn't go to daycare or pre-K and could read some old school Golden Books when I started kindergarten at 4 years old, and so did my kids. I guess phonics and math were more of a priority to me where "treats" and movies were to Bonnie.

Olivia's spelling and word recall is pretty atrocious for her age as well, if you notice. She thought the tooth fairy coin her grandparents placed under her pillow said "Happy Birthday".
I'm a SAHM and my 4.5 doesn't even know how to sing her alphabet. Not from lack of trying, it's just some kids learn differently and I don't have the knowledge, like a teacher, to figure out what will help make it click. Just because someone stays at home with their child doesn't mean the child should know everything.
I agree with you. I worked and worked with my son to learn his colours and he just wasn't getting it (to the point where I was starting to wonder if he was colour blind), I put him into daycare one day a week when he was 2.5yo and he picked up all the colours within 3 weeks (so 3 days at daycare). Same with the alphabet and writing, I worked and worked with him and got nothing out of him, within 6 months of pre school he can write his full name, mum, dad, our dogs name and his sisters name off the top of his head, he can copy anything you write for him and he knows all his letters. He learns so much better in a class environment than at home.

Kids are only kids for the smallest amount of time and then are in school for so many years, I'd rather spend my time at home with them playing than sitting down with worksheets. I include basic learning into play, like counting and colours and whatever but I'm not going to work for hours with them to learn to read by the time they're 3 because I'd rather them be playing and having fun before they're in school for the next 13 years minimum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

Madsmom110 wrote:
LydiaE wrote:I don't think it's okay for your kid to not know the alphabet, colors, some advanced shapes, and to be able to detect some basic sight words upon kindergarten enrollment if you're a SAHM. You're there giving your child individual attention for 4-5 years.

I didn't go to daycare or pre-K and could read some old school Golden Books when I started kindergarten at 4 years old, and so did my kids. I guess phonics and math were more of a priority to me where "treats" and movies were to Bonnie.

Olivia's spelling and word recall is pretty atrocious for her age as well, if you notice. She thought the tooth fairy coin her grandparents placed under her pillow said "Happy Birthday".
I'm a SAHM and my 4.5 doesn't even know how to sing her alphabet. Not from lack of trying, it's just some kids learn differently and I don't have the knowledge, like a teacher, to figure out what will help make it click. Just because someone stays at home with their child doesn't mean the child should know everything.
I agree with you. I worked and worked with my son to learn his colours and he just wasn't getting it (to the point where I was starting to wonder if he was colour blind), I put him into daycare one day a week when he was 2.5yo and he picked up all the colours within 3 weeks (so 3 days at daycare). Same with the alphabet and writing, I worked and worked with him and got nothing out of him, within 6 months of pre school he can write his full name, mum, dad, our dogs name and his sisters name off the top of his head, he can copy anything you write for him and he knows all his letters. He learns so much better in a class environment than at home.

Kids are only kids for the smallest amount of time and then are in school for so many years, I'd rather spend my time at home with them playing than sitting down with worksheets. I include basic learning into play, like counting and colours and whatever but I'm not going to work for hours with them to learn to read by the time they're 3 because I'd rather them be playing and having fun before they're in school for the next 13 years minimum.

Deadhead_kay
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Deadhead_kay »

formerctfxcer wrote:Lol at the non-Americans basing their judgments on our education system from what they've seen on YouTube or read from random people. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that our public school system has no flaws or is the best in the world, but I'm also not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of another country's educational system without having lived it.

Personal. As far as I know i was the first to mention the terrible state of american education. and I am an american citizen who is still currently going through american education. Well college, but still valid. And from a state that spends considerably more on education than other states, it's still not good and has actually gotten far worse than what it was just a couple years ago.

I get that kids learn at different rates, it was a point I was going to make in defense of Bonnie originally. But jesus the majority of this board, or at least the *loudest* voices. are all in support of bonnie, using excuses that wouldn't be stood for in a board like the bumps. Oh we don't see her trying to teach the kids, or taking them to activities, doesn't mean they don't do it. Literally could be said for any other parent, we DON"T see their whole day, doesn't stop us from judging and thinking they're all shit. Bonnie just doesn't seem to put much value in her kids education, which could just be her family upbringing coming into play. And if that's the case, i'd much rather prefer this than behavior more similar to Ruby or Ellie's.
Just the opinion of an internet stranger. Don't take anything personally, for your own sake as well as mine.
formerctfxcer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by formerctfxcer »

Deadhead_kay wrote:
formerctfxcer wrote:Lol at the non-Americans basing their judgments on our education system from what they've seen on YouTube or read from random people. I'm not going to sit here and pretend that our public school system has no flaws or is the best in the world, but I'm also not going to pretend to know the ins and outs of another country's educational system without having lived it.

Personal. As far as I know i was the first to mention the terrible state of american education. and I am an american citizen who is still currently going through american education. Well college, but still valid. And from a state that spends considerably more on education than other states, it's still not good and has actually gotten far worse than what it was just a couple years ago.

I get that kids learn at different rates, it was a point I was going to make in defense of Bonnie originally. But jesus the majority of this board, or at least the *loudest* voices. are all in support of bonnie, using excuses that wouldn't be stood for in a board like the bumps. Oh we don't see her trying to teach the kids, or taking them to activities, doesn't mean they don't do it. Literally could be said for any other parent, we DON"T see their whole day, doesn't stop us from judging and thinking they're all shit. Bonnie just doesn't seem to put much value in her kids education, which could just be her family upbringing coming into play. And if that's the case, i'd much rather prefer this than behavior more similar to Ruby or Ellie's.
My post was only towards those who were passing judgment and openly said they were not from the US.

Not sure if your second paragraph was in reference to me, but I actually posted that Bonnie should have either taught Cody his ABC's or sent him to preschool (or both!) and that seeing how little he knew made me cringe.

formerctfxcer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by formerctfxcer »

Deadhead_kay wrote:

My post was only towards those who were passing judgment and openly said they were not from the US.

Not sure if your second paragraph was in reference to me, but I actually posted that Bonnie should have either taught Cody his ABC's or sent him to preschool (or both!) and that seeing how little he knew made me cringe.

Silentbob
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Silentbob »

I really don't like judging children as they learn at different rates, and frankly sometimes parents are just lazy with their education. Yes, I think Bonnie is lazy with her children's education. That being said, I have noticed with the child males in the "Griffith" family ie. Russell, Cody, Boston, Jackson, they are very delayed. I think a lot has to do with their mothers. They coddle them and don't let them grow/mature. They are behind their age level with their education and social maturity. I know this isn't Rubys thread, but she is a prime example. The worst possible thing for Russel is for her to homeschool him. She is just delaying his issues. I say this that thankfulky Bonnie is too lazy to homeschool. I know that sounds so horrible to say, but...
liz749
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by liz749 »

Silentbob wrote:I really don't like judging children as they learn at different rates, and frankly sometimes parents are just lazy with their education. Yes, I think Bonnie is lazy with her children's education. That being said, I have noticed with the child males in the "Griffith" family ie. Russell, Cody, Boston, Jackson, they are very delayed. I think a lot has to do with their mothers. They coddle them and don't let them grow/mature. They are behind their age level with their education and social maturity. I know this isn't Rubys thread, but she is a prime example. The worst possible thing for Russel is for her to homeschool him. She is just delaying his issues. I say this that thankfulky Bonnie is too lazy to homeschool. I know that sounds so horrible to say, but...
I'd disagree that Cody, Jackson, and Boston are "very delayed" in any way. Those arguments could be made for Calvin and Russell (although we already know he was behind physically, but he just seems sensitive but he loves engaging with other people including strangers). Kids have a huge range of capabilities at their ages and those capabilities just need to be fostered-Bonnie's slacking on it a bit but there is nothing wrong with Cody or Boston. In my opinion, I think they are both fully capable of catching up with a little effort on her part. Socially, they all seem fine as well, and also have very good manners for the most part besides some typical toddler tantrums. Maybe they are behind in some education areas but overall I think they are perfectly on track (including Jackson).

WTFoxtrot
Informer
Informer

Unread post by WTFoxtrot »

kingoflove21vher wrote:I went to a public school in a rural part of NY but at 4 I knew my alphabet pretty well going into kindergarten and I never went to preschool, my grandma babysat me. By mid-year kindergarten (13 years ago) we were expected to read books around 7 pages long with 5-10 short words on them aloud to the school at a school assembly that happened weekly. We also by mid-year were expected to recognize most 2-3 letter sight words (there were a few pages with about 20 words each). And we still did a ton of other stuff and played like regular kindergarteners (and we had nap time).
I just have to ask: How in the world do you remember all this??!! My "childhood amnesia" obviously lasted much longer than yours! LOL Granted I'm almost 20yrs older than you, but I know for a fact that I couldn't have told you what I knew & didn't know, or even what I learned in Kindergarten, or how old I was when I knew my alphabet, when I was in my early 20s! I'm not trying to be insulting in the least, I find it absolutely incredible that you know/remember all this!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
Silentbob
Talker
Talker

liz749 wrote:
Silentbob wrote:I really don't like judging children as they learn at different rates, and frankly sometimes parents are just lazy with their education. Yes, I think Bonnie is lazy with her children's education. That being said, I have noticed with the child males in the "Griffith" family ie. Russell, Cody, Boston, Jackson, they are very delayed. I think a lot has to do with their mothers. They coddle them and don't let them grow/mature. They are behind their age level with their education and social maturity. I know this isn't Rubys thread, but she is a prime example. The worst possible thing for Russel is for her to homeschool him. She is just delaying his issues. I say this that thankfulky Bonnie is too lazy to homeschool. I know that sounds so horrible to say, but...
I'd disagree that Cody, Jackson, and Boston are "very delayed" in any way. Those arguments could be made for Calvin and Russell (although we already know he was behind physically, but he just seems sensitive but he loves engaging with other people including strangers). Kids have a huge range of capabilities at their ages and those capabilities just need to be fostered-Bonnie's slacking on it a bit but there is nothing wrong with Cody or Boston. In my opinion, I think they are both fully capable of catching up with a little effort on her part. Socially, they all seem fine as well, and also have very good manners for the most part besides some typical toddler tantrums. Maybe they are behind in some education areas but overall I think they are perfectly on track (including Jackson).

That was the whole reason ruby said she was homeschooling Russell was because he was behind socially. Hiding him at home is not going to help him socially, and I'm curious to what he even knows academically. As far as Cody, at his age he is doing what most toddlers do, repetition of what he sees and hears. It's not his fault by any means. He is at school age and should be able to recognize letters of the alphabet. He couldn't even point to the correct letters while he was singing the song. Again, not his fault. When my daughter started pre k they were expected to recognize a certain number of letters and numbers at the bugging of the year. Education doesn't just happen in a school.
Silentbob
Talker
Talker

liz749 wrote:

That was the whole reason ruby said she was homeschooling Russell was because he was behind socially. Hiding him at home is not going to help him socially, and I'm curious to what he even knows academically. As far as Cody, at his age he is doing what most toddlers do, repetition of what he sees and hears. It's not his fault by any means. He is at school age and should be able to recognize letters of the alphabet. He couldn't even point to the correct letters while he was singing the song. Again, not his fault. When my daughter started pre k they were expected to recognize a certain number of letters and numbers at the beginning of the year. Education doesn't just happen in a school.
kiwimumof-5
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kiwimumof-5 »

Madsmom110 wrote:

Totally agree.

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk
kiwimumof-5
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kiwimumof-5 »

staceybrax wrote:
Madsmom110 wrote:

Thats what our kindys are mostly like. My three year old spends her mornings getting messy and creating more washing for me.

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I think that the argument that we don't see all of their day is valid with Bonnie and Joel in a way it's not with Bryan and Missy. Maybe this should be on the comparison thread, I don't know. But as far as social skills go, I know there's stuff we don't see. There was one day when Joel said that Cody was off playing with the neighborhood"gang" of kids. That's just one example, but I am reasonably sure there are more. I agree that Olivia should have known that Tooth Fairy coin didn't say "Happy Birthday".
But back to my original point. The reason I say that the argument that we don't see all of their day is more valid with B&J, is that Bryan and Missy, when they're not vlogging, they're "Snapping like Kim K". So we see much more of their day.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
kingoflove21vher
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by kingoflove21vher »

WTFoxtrot wrote:
kingoflove21vher wrote:I went to a public school in a rural part of NY but at 4 I knew my alphabet pretty well going into kindergarten and I never went to preschool, my grandma babysat me. By mid-year kindergarten (13 years ago) we were expected to read books around 7 pages long with 5-10 short words on them aloud to the school at a school assembly that happened weekly. We also by mid-year were expected to recognize most 2-3 letter sight words (there were a few pages with about 20 words each). And we still did a ton of other stuff and played like regular kindergarteners (and we had nap time).
I just have to ask: How in the world do you remember all this??!! My "childhood amnesia" obviously lasted much longer than yours! LOL Granted I'm almost 20yrs older than you, but I know for a fact that I couldn't have told you what I knew & didn't know, or even what I learned in Kindergarten, or how old I was when I knew my alphabet, when I was in my early 20s! I'm not trying to be insulting in the least, I find it absolutely incredible that you know/remember all this!!

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
No, I totally understand and no offense taken! I just have a very good long term memory and an above average IQ (I'm not trying to sound conceited, I was tested in middle school for the gifted and talented program at my school so I know I do). which is both a blessing and a curse because then you never forget bad events/something a bully told you 15 years ago So I remember a lot about pre-k and kindergarten forward and could describe the classrooms or certain days where something happened that "stuck" and my memories start at 2.5/3, it sucked throughout high school because I would remember some trivial thing about someone or their family or a birthday party they had in 2nd or 4th grade and it'd be "wtf you're weird". I'm not sure if it's genetic or what but I've always been regarded as intelligent and my one great-uncle is the same exact way, but this is Bonnie's thread and I didn't mean to hijack it to talk about myself or anything.

"I suppose the story of my life is a search for love, but more than that, I have been looking for a way to repair myself from the damages I suffered early on ..."
Deadhead_kay
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Deadhead_kay »

Totally valid point, ImmomSD.

Maybe it's because I'm fresh off watching Macey Gaines, but the fact that she can at least recall some of the alphabet already at her age is what's making me think Cody's lack of knowing it is so surprising. I can't remember well, unlike you other poster I have a considerably terrible memory, especially considering my age lol, anyway I don't remember my nephew at Cody's age but I know he caught on semi quick to things like numbers and letters, probably became really good at around 3.

IMO there's no excuse to not have your kid know these things. There are so many educational toys that are super fun(and not obnoxious). And if you're in the party of letting your kids be kids(100% can understand that) why not get them some mentally stimulating toys to play with them. Spend 10 minutes a day practicing basic skills with your kids and they'll catch on faster than you think.*

*Totally only applicable to kids that don't have any learning disabilites or anything that could interfere with learning. Not very knowledgeable on that side of things, except that I know it takes much more work and different approaches than teaching ""normal"" kids.
Just the opinion of an internet stranger. Don't take anything personally, for your own sake as well as mine.
Silentbob
Talker
Talker

lmmomSD wrote:I think that the argument that we don't see all of their day is valid with Bonnie and Joel in a way it's not with Bryan and Missy. Maybe this should be on the comparison thread, I don't know. But as far as social skills go, I know there's stuff we don't see. There was one day when Joel said that Cody was off playing with the neighborhood"gang" of kids. That's just one example, but I am reasonably sure there are more. I agree that Olivia should have known that Tooth Fairy coin didn't say "Happy Birthday".
But back to my original point. The reason I say that the argument that we don't see all of their day is more valid with B&J, is that Bryan and Missy, when they're not vlogging, they're "Snapping like Kim K". So we see much more of their day.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
I personally only stated it the way I did is because Bonnie sat there on the video and said that it was embarrassing and it was her fault that he did not know them. At least she was honest but laziness doesn't excuse the fact. I do believe he will catch on quickly.
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

I honestly don't like judging kids based on what they do as young kids because I was the dumber kid. My brother could multiple at the age of four and I even add until I was taught in school. However, now at 23 and 22 we are pretty similar. Granted he majored in statistics so him and numbers work well together.

That being said, I do think Bonnie could have worked more with Cody. I don't want to come off rude but the alphabet with Cody and Boston's potty training kind of makes me roll my eyes. I know four kids is a lot and sometimes things get forgotten but I do think this stuff is very important. They seem to watch a lot of youtube videos, they easily could have watched educational videos. There are some videos these days where it wouldn't even come off as educational due to have story lines and come off as if it was any other cartoon.

That being said, if she had worked with Cody on things and he didn't get it, that's ok. It comes with time and some teachers just have a way of teaching kids. I don't doubt cody will be fine, but it may be harder for him than some kids. I am actually excited to hear about Cody's experience in Kindergarten.
westwuff
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by westwuff »

I also think there's a big difference between one stay at home parent with 4 children to care for (and split her time between) than say two stay at home parents with only two children to care for between the both of them...
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

I know there has been a lot of nitpicking on Bonnie lately but this is kind of driving me crazy. Why hasn't she lowered Lincolns crib mattress down?? He's going to fall. Your supposed to lower it as soon as they start pulling up.

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

It's only waist high on Boston and goes below Lincolns chest, if Lincoln was as active of a baby as my 9 month old he already would have climbed out and fallen on his little head. Image

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”