Cullen & Katie : Happy Sparkling New Year Part #8

Lurker4Life
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen & Katie : Happy Sparkling New Year Part #8

Unread post by Lurker4Life »

And today you can really see the size similarity between Brooks and Gaines.

Also I think I like the blacksplash, its just really hard to tell with the green walls. If they were white/cream the room would look a lot better, but thats my won preference
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

Lurker4Life wrote:One thing I thought of watching todays vlog, besides Gaines talking in the (3rd?) person when referring to herself being a toddler thing, do you also think it has something to do with what she hears on the vlogs? I just noticed today when Katie was opening the vlog how it was all "Gaines wants to do this" and "Gaines is doing that", so do you think she has just picked up on how her parents talk about her or it has nothing to do with it? Lol, this is for my own curiosity what everyone thinks?

Maybe?? But like you say i think its a toddler thing too bc Gaines reminds me of my daughter so much in the speech dept. She was a talker just like MG but had trouble grasping the pronouns. I think it has a lot to do with how toddlers pick up language skills. She hears "Gaines, do you want to paint?' so when she does want to paint she repeats what she has heard in the past "Gaines wants to paint!!" I dont think it will be something that she will always have issues with, at least we see them starting to correct her and she is picking up on that. (something we can't say about other yt parents). I will say that i'll be super sad when she gives up "hold yous" when she wants to be held! Its just so darn cute! I'm guilty of not correcting my kids when they mispronounced things sometimes, BUT both of my kids were pretty advanced in speech so i feel like i wasn't harming them by holding on to some "baby talk" and they grew out of it on their own (and i got sad lol). If i had thought there was the slightest bit of delay in their speech i never would have let it slide though. (my daughter said noon-e-horn for unicorn and lellow for yellow for the longest, with my son it was moose-kick for music. Those were there last "baby words" and by the time they were in preschool it was gone.) That being said, she does hear the 3rd person talk more than the avg kid, so it's probably not helping any, but i do think that it won't be long before she gets it.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I love the new backsplash. much better than the one they had decided with before and backed out on. I think it really pulls together that dark countertop. It's really pretty!
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

I'm not crazy about the backsplash. I feel like they need to go with lighter colors in the house to open it up more and make it look bigger. The dark walls and everything just close it in.
Hershey
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Hershey »

IN terms of third person... I know I would say "Mommy will be there in a moment" etc and refer to myself in third person a lot when they were younger.
Give me coffee to change the things I can and wine to accept those I cannot.
Gre
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Gre »

Is it actually frowned upon in America to speak in a third person manner? It's interesting to see so many people pointing it out when where I live, people try to keep children doing so for as long as they could (not necessarily everywhere they go, but more when they are around family and relatives) because they see it as a sign of respect.

Sent from my Lenovo P1a42 using Tapatalk
PopTheButterfly
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PopTheButterfly »

Gre wrote:Is it actually frowned upon in America to speak in a third person manner? It's interesting to see so many people pointing it out when where I live, people try to keep children doing so for as long as they could (not necessarily everywhere they go, but more when they are around family and relatives) because they see it as a sign of respect.

We're more of a me and I culture lol. It's more of a "learning how to use proper English" problem which means using I and me rather than the third person.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Gre wrote:Is it actually frowned upon in America to speak in a third person manner? It's interesting to see so many people pointing it out when where I live, people try to keep children doing so for as long as they could (not necessarily everywhere they go, but more when they are around family and relatives) because they see it as a sign of respect.

Forgive my ignorance here but it's a sign of respect to refer to yourself in the 3rd person? as in its more respectful for Sally to say "Sally is going for a walk!" insead of "I'm going for a walk!"?
Gre
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Gre »

Playsinrain wrote:

Forgive my ignorance here but it's a sign of respect to refer to yourself in the 3rd person? as in its more respectful for Sally to say "Sally is going for a walk!" insead of "I'm going for a walk!"?
As weird as it sounds, yes! As PoptheButterfly has said, it must be a cultural thing. People, especially the older generation, prefers 3rd person over first. Saying I or me (especially the non-formal version) is considered impolite. I still do that when talking to my parents' friends and colleagues and even relatives. The younger ones didn't do it that much tho. But then again, we're half a globe apart. Some differences are expected, right? Image

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Playsinrain wrote:

I was wondering that too. In the U.S., people think you're weird and narcissistic if you refer to yourself in the third person. It's a running joke that only celebrities do it. So if you're ignorant, so am I.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by calliepaige »

Are they going to California next week for DB album party

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Gre wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:

As weird as it sounds, yes! As PoptheButterfly has said, it must be a cultural thing. People, especially the older generation, prefers 3rd person over first. Saying I or me (especially the non-formal version) is considered impolite. I still do that when talking to my parents' friends and colleagues and even relatives. The younger ones didn't do it that much tho. But then again, we're half a globe apart. Some differences are expected, right? Image

Wow!! That really is interesting! Something to store away in the brain for sure! i really never knew that! Thank you for clarifying!
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

calliepaige84 wrote:Are they going to California next week for DB album party

Unfortunately i think they are. Cullen made some hints on twitter..
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by calliepaige »

Playsinrain wrote:

Bleh!

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I personally think they should have gone with a neutral backsplash if they're doing it simply to put the house on the market. Why coordinate with colors on the wall if the new owners will likely repaint to their taste? A simple subway tile would have sufficed and appeals to more buyers. If I walked in to that house as a potential buyer, I'd find the backsplash tile rather dated. They need to approach this kitchen facelift as a way to appeal to as many buyers as possible and not do it with their personal taste in mind.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

calliepaige84 wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:

Bleh!

i feel the same way, i hate when they are with DB..
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I personally think they should have gone with a neutral backsplash if they're doing it simply to put the house on the market. Why coordinate with colors on the wall if the new owners will likely repaint to their taste? A simple subway tile would have sufficed and appeals to more buyers. If I walked in to that house as a potential buyer, I'd find the backsplash tile rather dated. They need to approach this kitchen facelift as a way to appeal to as many buyers as possible and not do it with their personal taste in mind.
I agree and I would have asked a realtor for suggestions. I think a fresh coat of neutral paint would be enough and save your money. Subway tile would be my second choice.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
jaynshann
Informer
Informer

Unread post by jaynshann »

Ughhh not that my opinion really matters but that backsplash....just NO! It looks like salt and pepper all over the walls.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

tratra58 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:I personally think they should have gone with a neutral backsplash if they're doing it simply to put the house on the market. Why coordinate with colors on the wall if the new owners will likely repaint to their taste? A simple subway tile would have sufficed and appeals to more buyers. If I walked in to that house as a potential buyer, I'd find the backsplash tile rather dated. They need to approach this kitchen facelift as a way to appeal to as many buyers as possible and not do it with their personal taste in mind.
I agree and I would have asked a realtor for suggestions. I think a fresh coat of neutral paint would be enough and save your money. Subway tile would be my second choice.

Good point! The previous owners of our home just slapped some paint up there, which I appreciated because it meant I could choose my own tile back splash without having to do any demolition. I think those small multi-colored glass tiles were popular maybe 5 or 10 years ago?
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:
tratra58 wrote:

Good point! The previous owners of our home just slapped some paint up there, which I appreciated because it meant I could choose my own tile back splash without having to do any demolition. I think those small multi-colored glass tiles were popular maybe 5 or 10 years ago?
Yikes...I still have this and if given a choice I would replace it with white subway tile.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”