Cullen & Katie : Happy Sparkling New Year Part #8

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Cullen & Katie : Happy Sparkling New Year Part #8

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Well, those of you who have been around for a while know I love looking at real estate sites and dreaming. I was looking at Birmingham stuff, and found _my_ house. Built in 1935 but updated, and looks like the Tom Cruise house in "The Firm". Squeee! C&K are on their own. There's lots of houses on Zillow, but I know they're going to want a big yard, and those are hard to come by.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by tratra58 »

The house is looking great and Katie is doing a terrific job. The master bedroom looks wonderful. If Katie wants to stay decluttered she should talk to Bonnie who is a master at having a clean home...and her house is smaller with a one car garage.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Their home looks SO much better now that they're de-cluttering and staging it. Katie's plea for advice on how to be tidier was funny. I'm a compulsively neat person, and my biggest piece of advice is don't buy so much stuff. Don't buy stuff that you don't need and don't have a place for. Donate stuff you're not using on a regular basis. Get a mail holder in the office for things you need to keep for a period of time and clean it out regularly. I think you're either the type of person who sees the clutter and is bothered by it in your own home, or you're the type of person who's able to look past it and isn't bothered by it. I don't think they're ever going to keep a house looking like that, lol.

There are some beautiful and affordable historic homes in their area, but I have a feeling they're going to buy something in a very similar development that they are currently in, just newer build. I sure wish you could get charming homes like that in the DC area at that price! ;)
beautynoob
Talker
Talker

Unread post by beautynoob »

It's sad that the only way their house looks this nice is when they want to sell. All the clutter and mess would drive me bananas!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Their home looks SO much better now that they're de-cluttering and staging it. Katie's plea for advice on how to be tidier was funny. I'm a compulsively neat person, and my biggest piece of advice is don't buy so much stuff. Don't buy stuff that you don't need and don't have a place for. Donate stuff you're not using on a regular basis. Get a mail holder in the office for things you need to keep for a period of time and clean it out regularly. I think you're either the type of person who sees the clutter and is bothered by it in your own home, or you're the type of person who's able to look past it and isn't bothered by it. I don't think they're ever going to keep a house looking like that, lol.

There are some beautiful and affordable historic homes in their area, but I have a feeling they're going to buy something in a very similar development that they are currently in, just newer build. I sure wish you could get charming homes like that in the DC area at that price! ;)
Did you see that freaky Pepto Bismol pink house on Zillow? *shudder*

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I know this is really OT, but I just have to share this. What possessed these people?
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1705 ... 4135_zpid/

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:I know this is really OT, but I just have to share this. What possessed these people?

That is a tear down in my opinion....yikes

wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

Haven't watched today's vlog, but I smirk when people say JKs house is a McMansion. I think it's the right size for their family. Those homes are similar size outside of the D.C. area (Fairfax and Loudoun) which are so outrageously expensive in the upper $700k-$1M range but they are considered single family homes. I guess it all depends on where you're from to consider what is a mansion or not. -shrug-
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

japaluvr wrote:Haven't watched today's vlog, but I smirk when people say JKs house is a McMansion. I think it's the right size for their family. Those homes are similar size outside of the D.C. area (Fairfax and Loudoun) which are so outrageously expensive in the upper $700k-$1M range but they are considered single family homes. I guess it all depends on where you're from to consider what is a mansion or not. -shrug-
I read an article in the Washington Post about families in Loudoun County (my family lives in Leesburg-- has for about 80 years) that are upside down in their mortgages. These are families of four living in 6-7,000 SF houses. To me, that's a McMansion. I don't know exactly how big JK's house is, but it looks good sized. It may be "average" these days, but I think it's ridiculous. No family of four _needs_ that much square footage. Personally, I would rather have a smaller house and a bigger yard. And not be able to see in my neighbor's windows.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

japaluvr wrote:Haven't watched today's vlog, but I smirk when people say JKs house is a McMansion. I think it's the right size for their family. Those homes are similar size outside of the D.C. area (Fairfax and Loudoun) which are so outrageously expensive in the upper $700k-$1M range but they are considered single family homes. I guess it all depends on where you're from to consider what is a mansion or not. -shrug-
The McMansion designation isn't just about square feet, although they usually are too large for their lot size and thus very close to their neighbors. I think Katie's sister Kelly's home actually looks like it's on quite a large lot. I can't really speak to their house because I don't watch their channel. But Katie and Cullen's current home is definitely in a McMansion subdivision. Most McMansion were built in the 1990s and 2000s as a status symbol meant to imitate more expensive homes, but they're actually quite generic and mass produced on the inside and don't follow architecture design principals. While most are 3,000 sq ft or larger, not all large homes are considered McMansions. Size is definitely one element to a McMansion, but it's also characterized by inferior materials (brick facades but siding on the rest of the house, for example) and no clear architectural style.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:
The McMansion designation isn't just about square feet, although they usually are too large for their lot size and thus very close to their neighbors. I think Katie's sister Kelly's home actually looks like it's on quite a large lot. I can't really speak to their house because I don't watch their channel. But Katie and Cullen's current home is definitely in a McMansion subdivision. Most McMansion were built in the 1990s and 2000s as a status symbol meant to imitate more expensive homes, but they're actually quite generic and mass produced on the inside and don't follow architecture design principals. While most are 3,000 sq ft or larger, not all large homes are considered McMansions. Size is definitely one element to a McMansion, but it's also characterized by inferior materials (brick facades but siding on the rest of the house, for example) and no clear architectural style.
You have it right HastagBlessed with with a very good description of what a McMansion is and I would classify JK home as one. A mansion and McMansion are different. Average home price in JK area is 350,000 and Fairfax is 500,000. JK house is on the higher end (someone mentioned this home sold for over 600,000) and in a nice community which includes many amenities. It is also a larger home with many beds/baths, large open kitchen etc... People today are moving away from the larger homes and going back to the mid 2000 sq ft range. In the end, it really is hard to compare different regions of the countries housing. What is the right size home for a family can depend on where you live, what you can afford or purely subjective.
beautynoob
Talker
Talker

Unread post by beautynoob »

There's a couple of houses for sale near the area where k&js house is that would fit what they're looking for. I'm guessing they bid on one of those! Not new houses but a nice area/school system. I'm enjoying the vlogs and thinking I never want to move again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chipmunks
Informer
Informer

Unread post by chipmunks »

lmmomSD wrote:
I read an article in the Washington Post about families in Loudoun County (my family lives in Leesburg-- has for about 80 years) that are upside down in their mortgages. These are families of four living in 6-7,000 SF houses. To me, that's a McMansion. I don't know exactly how big JK's house is, but it looks good sized. It may be "average" these days, but I think it's ridiculous. No family of four _needs_ that much square footage. Personally, I would rather have a smaller house and a bigger yard. And not be able to see in my neighbor's windows.

s/o to LoCo - used to live west of leesburg. Even smaller, older houses there are ridiculously expensive now as the sprawl continues from D.C. I hate to see when a sign props up on what used to be old farmland for a new development. That the silver line reaches Dulles is only going to make prices continue to rise even further out.

But back to c+k... really can't wait to watch their process. Tho I have to agree i hate their paint choices. Did not like brooks room at all... didn't flow and too dark. I feel bad because I'm also not a great decorator, but katie could use some editing from granddolly in that department.

ferriswheel
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ferriswheel »

lmmomSD wrote:I know this is really OT, but I just have to share this. What possessed these people?

I feel like one of those "human barbies" should live there.

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk
Peace, Love and Animal Crackers
westwuff
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by westwuff »

I could work with that pink house. Lol the paint is sooo bad. It actually reminds me of the 100 year old craftman we're currently renting. There's some ugly paint in here too..but not that bad.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

I'm offended by the color and the flight of stairs leading to the front door!
Strawberry26
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Strawberry26 »

http://ytmommadrama.com/viewtopic.php?t=10483

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

westwuff wrote:I could work with that pink house. Lol the paint is sooo bad. It actually reminds me of the 100 year old craftman we're currently renting. There's some ugly paint in here too..but not that bad.
You have a keen eye to see the beauty in a home that has been ruined by homeowners over the years. To me it is a talent where you see the well built areas of an older home and can bring it back to life with renovations.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

tratra58 wrote:
westwuff wrote:I could work with that pink house. Lol the paint is sooo bad. It actually reminds me of the 100 year old craftman we're currently renting. There's some ugly paint in here too..but not that bad.
You have a keen eye to see the beauty in a home that has been ruined by homeowners over the years. To me it is a talent where you see the well built areas of an older home and can bring it back to life with renovations.
I had a friend who could do that. She managed to look past flocked red velvet wallpaper and a pink carpet to get a really good deal on a house. If the "bones" are there, like in a Victorian or a Craftsman bungalow, I can see it, but this is just scary. There's another house on Zillow with potential, but the owners obviously don't care. They have bras hanging in the bathroom in the photos! Who does that? People are so weird...

Return to “Cullen and Katie”