Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

crowmtmom78
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: House Woes Part #9

Unread post by crowmtmom78 »

Playsinrain wrote:Too late to edit, but i wanted to add i'm in GA (but literally less than 3 miles to the AL state line) , no clue about CC in AL..
I live in Northeast Alabama and common core math is horrible! They only started it all few years ago and last year, my oldest, a gifted 7th grader was having problems with a concept (adding on a number line), and my 3rd grader was learning the same concept and was able to help her older sister, because she had been taught that way all along.
Part of me wants to homeschool my kids so they don't have to deal with common core.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

Playsinrain wrote:and if you have no clue what common core math is really like, (consider yourself lucky) but this is legit how they teach it.
I have no idea wtf that is or how it was worked. I suppose I could google Common Core, but this looks like bullshit to me. When my eldest was learning to read, the district decided not to teach phonics in learning to read. They wanted kids to learn to read by memory, it made no sense. I just carried on at home teaching him with the phonics at home. Fortunately, the new way of learning to read didn't last but a year or two.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

Playsinrain wrote:and if you have no clue what common core math is really like, (consider yourself lucky) but this is legit how they teach it.
OMG, after the shock and my last post, I looked at the problem again and realized they were just breaking it down. I add like that in my head all the time. I'd love to see some more examples. Do other people add in their heads like that?
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Scar2016 wrote:
tratra58 wrote:
sataninwonderland wrote:They really don't know what stress is. They've been stay at home parents since Gaines was what? 8 months? Reality is going to smack them in the face when they've got another kid and YT goes down the drain. And that sucks, don't get me wrong. And it's also not like money would be the issue for them since they've both had jobs, unlike most YTers. But when they don't get to spend all their time at home with their kids, just having fun. They complain about how hard it is to cook and clean with their children running around now...
Bad mood today, oops
You are saying what most people are thinking. Can you image if both worked full-time and had to take and pick up the kids at daycare then come home to make a meal after working all day.
I think one of them (probably Cullen) would legit have a breakdown.
The only thing I think CK has in their favor if YT goes down is they don't appear to be making the big bucks that many YT channels are making that they know. Long ago discussion on this topic included they would do best with Katie's positive job outlook and Cullen, while he had lost a job, he would be able to find a position. The Verizon salesman might see a different outlook. Katie also looks like she had a flexible job, but didn't want to work after kids. I think these two have had a dream come true deal with YT (and the others too) for the last couple of years and don't even recognize it. They would have to change drastically Cullen cooking at 10 p.m. is not something full-time workers see since they are in bed.

I feel some of these YouTube toys are something else. E+J buying a jeep car, CK Barbie Doll car or an expensive inflatable slides. I don't watch DB, but I can only image what these kids have. I listen to Katie justify the inflatable slide purchase since it was less than renting...are you serious no kids needs this slide which is rarely used. Looking in CK backyard, they have a play house, swings set (not sure on this one) and trampoline and their kids are pretty young. They had to put many toys in storage. Kids don't need all this "stuff" and I can see the trend towards their clutter life which includes buying many of these things, but admittedly some of this could have come from grandparents.

My impression of Katie and others, what some see as luxury purchases are everyday necessities for them. This include hair coloring, nails, cars that are on the higher side of cost, upgrading homes that some are expensive and eating out frequently.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Scar2016 wrote:
tratra58 wrote:
sataninwonderland wrote:They really don't know what stress is. They've been stay at home parents since Gaines was what? 8 months? Reality is going to smack them in the face when they've got another kid and YT goes down the drain. And that sucks, don't get me wrong. And it's also not like money would be the issue for them since they've both had jobs, unlike most YTers. But when they don't get to spend all their time at home with their kids, just having fun. They complain about how hard it is to cook and clean with their children running around now...
Bad mood today, oops
You are saying what most people are thinking. Can you image if both worked full-time and had to take and pick up the kids at daycare then come home to make a meal after working all day.
I think one of them (probably Cullen) would legit have a breakdown.
The only thing I think CK has in their favor if YT goes down is they don't appear to be making the big bucks that many YT channels are making that they know. Long ago discussion on this topic included they would do best with Katie's positive job outlook and Cullen, while he had lost a job, he would be able to find a position. The Verizon salesman might see a different outlook. Katie also looks like she had a flexible job, but didn't want to work after kids. I think these two have had a dream come true deal with YT (and the others too) for the last couple of years and don't even recognize it. They would have to change drastically and Cullen cooking at 10 p.m. is not something full-time workers see since they are in bed.

I feel some of these YouTube kids have toys are not usual to see. E+J buying a jeep car, CK Barbie Doll car or an expensive inflatable slides. I don't watch DB, but I can only image what these kids have. I listen to Katie justify the inflatable slide purchase since it was less than renting...are you serious no kids needs this slide which is rarely used. Looking in CK backyard, they have a play house, swings set (not sure on this one) and trampoline and their kids are pretty young. They had to put many toys in storage. Kids don't need all this "stuff" and I can see the trend towards their clutter life which includes buying many of these things, but admittedly some of this could have come from grandparents.

My impression of Katie and others, what some see as luxury purchases are everyday necessities for them. This includes hair coloring, nails, cars that are on the higher side of cost, upgrading homes that some are expensive and eating out frequently. I am not saying many don't make these purchases, but it is thought of an extra thing in life or an extra expense attitude we could do without if needed.
galifreyancatlady
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by galifreyancatlady »

Honestly I think some of the toys are gifts and hand me downs because Katie seems like a thrifty sort of person. That being said, out of the three, they are the most straightforward about money and I don't see them overreaching their finances. Yes, Cullen can be downright childish, but I see something in Katie and him that remind me of my husband and I.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

HashtagBlessed wrote:
japaluvr wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:I don't think it's a random friendship, I assumed they knew each other in some organic way since the family used to live in their area, but I don't think they stay in touch. If my friend's daughter had leukemia, I wouldn't be getting updates on her treatment from behind a camera. They didn't know anything about her treatment or her status. I understand it's personal, but obviously the mother didn't mind sharing because she did so for the vlog. I think this is all information Katie and Cullen would know already if they talked/emailed/texted on a regular basis. It was nice of them to donate and to visit with the family (were they actually spending the night?) while they were in town for treatment, but they obviously aren't close friends. Nothing wrong with that, but the way they interacted, the vlog title, and the fact that Cullen kept harping on them starting a channel was strange.
I don't know, I got the impression Katie was just saying "Wow", "Oh really?" in a nonchalant way and only doing it for the vlog but they really were getting updates behind the scenes. If I was hearing all that the first time, my reaction would be a little more dramatic and sincere. Considering Cullen went to school (high school or college) with him and has been in a few vlogs, I feel they are close even if they aren't mentioned all the time. Cullen shows his other friends from school in the vlogs who have Harper and the little boy and the other family with a young boy that has a unique name. Just because we don't hear about his friends doesn't necessarily mean they aren't contacting each other or getting updates. This vlog was a happy moment and wanted to be expressed.

Someone mentioned it was rude Katie turned the attention away from the mom when she was telling the girl's story; it appeared she did that to show how rambunctious a 3 year old would be on steroids considering adult males use it.
I got the impression from the mother talking about her daughter that this was the first time she had relayed this information to Katie. She's not a vlogger, so I doubt she rehersed all this and then waited for Katie to get the camera so she could update their viewers. She wasn't looking into the camera, she was making eye contact with Katie and Katie was reacting honestly. I think this was the first time they had gotten a recent update. It would be kind of strange for Katie to act so surprised if this was information she already knew.
I don't think it was rehearsed either, but I have a strong feeling C&K knew of the situation, they just wanted Jen to give the back story for the new viewers since the family was mentioned before about the girl's cancer and Katie mentioned viewers were asking about updates. Yea, she wasn't looking at the camera because you're right, she is not a vlogger and probably didn't know to look at the camera because she is not used to talking to a camera. She didn't sound that surprised, thus giving me the impression she knew of the situation.. maybe not all the specifics like steroids but had a general idea. I've seen Katie act surprised before (her friends pregnancies) and it's definitely not how it appeared when Jen was telling the story of her daughter. Besides, the family has a blog with updates and Snapchat which I'm sure C&K are watching their stories. No doubt in my mind that they have known what has been happening, just relaying the story for new viewers.

But these are my opinions and don't want to go back and forth on it since we have different views of how it appeared. :)
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

galifreyancatlady wrote:Honestly I think some of the toys are gifts and hand me downs because Katie seems like a thrifty sort of person. That being said, out of the three, they are the most straightforward about money and I don't see them overreaching their finances. Yes, Cullen can be downright childish, but I see something in Katie and him that remind me of my husband and I.

I said this also that grandparents may have given gifts, but I don't think the inflatable slide was and my premise included they just have a lot of toys for really a two year old. I don't see Katie as thrifty sort at all, but has a hard time getting rid of things. If they were straightforward in my world or conservative with money, I don't think they would move and their car was an expensive purchase. Their YT channel is not doing that great compared to others so their purchases might reflect this too. Perhaps I am being too harsh since people probably live like CK or what you consider not overreaching, but we live with no debt (home paid for/cars bought with cash/no credit card debt) so I likely see things differently. CK's children age group is actually not that expensive compared to years going forward so expenses will go up and I feel the YouTube profession is a risky one...this is where I am coming from also.
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

tratra58 wrote:Perhaps I am being too harsh since people probably live like CK or what you consider not overreaching, but we live with no debt (home paid for/cars bought with cash/no credit card debt) so I likely see things differently. CK's children age group is actually not that expensive compared to years going forward so expenses will go up and I feel the YouTube profession is a risky one...this is where I am coming from also.
:cong: That's great! Good for you!! I'm jealous but I'm sure it takes a lot of self control and determination to be debt free. That's something worth being proud of, for sure.
☆彡
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

These two are just incredibly lazy. There's no reason or justification as to why they can't cook, clean, exercise, or spend more time with the kids. They just don't want to.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

japaluvr wrote:
tratra58 wrote:Perhaps I am being too harsh since people probably live like CK or what you consider not overreaching, but we live with no debt (home paid for/cars bought with cash/no credit card debt) so I likely see things differently. CK's children age group is actually not that expensive compared to years going forward so expenses will go up and I feel the YouTube profession is a risky one...this is where I am coming from also.
:cong: That's great! Good for you!! I'm jealous but I'm sure it takes a lot of self control and determination to be debt free. That's something worth being proud of, for sure.
It wasn't always this way and we learnt the hard way with paying off a significant amount of debt with working a lot and yes, it was changing drastically. I think that is why I see all the things I listed in my original message as wants not needs so now when I look at some of the YouTubers buying behavior, I am probably too judgemental. If I could do over, I would recognize I could do without lot of this "stuff" and purchased less expensive cars etc. I am a Dave Ramsey follower.

Looking at Cullen and Katie, I am hoping they don't go too far up in upgrading with a home purchase since I think YouTube is a risky or iffy future, especially for them with their channel growth not being the best. Also, YouTube or Goggle is now coming under a challenge with advertisers who were investing big in YouTube, appear to be pulling back due to their brand being attached to negative videos and not having enough control over this. I am not sure, but this could be a game changer with YouTube. I don't know how YouTube will control the large amount of content that is uploaded daily, but it will be something they'll need to do if they want to stay viable.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

I thought that they said a long time ago that the bouncy house was Kelly and Jay's that they bought when their kids were smaller that they passed down to C&K a couple years ago. (those things are only about $200, which is about what it costs to rent on for a weekend, and if you take care of them you can easily get your money back reselling it when you are done with them, We did this same thing. Grandparents bought one for my sisters kids, passed it to mine and got their money back on ebay) The Barbie car was a first birthday gift to MG from Baby League. Compared to B&M who's kids have more toys than Toys R US and E&J's kids who have the bare minimum, i feel like they are pretty avg in the toy dept. Plus lots of the stuff they have stored they are planning on using with subsequent kids. I'd rather see that then them tossing everything and buying it new with every new kid.
DCarmen26
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by DCarmen26 »

Playsinrain wrote:I thought that they said a long time ago that the bouncy house was Kelly and Jay's that they bought when their kids were smaller that they passed down to C&K a couple years ago. (those things are only about $200, which is about what it costs to rent on for a weekend, and if you take care of them you can easily get your money back reselling it when you are done with them, We did this same thing. Grandparents bought one for my sisters kids, passed it to mine and got their money back on ebay) The Barbie car was a first birthday gift to MG from Baby League. Compared to B&M who's kids have more toys than Toys R US and E&J's kids who have the bare minimum, i feel like they are pretty avg in the toy dept. Plus lots of the stuff they have stored they are planning on using with subsequent kids. I'd rather see that then them tossing everything and buying it new with every new kid.
And if I remember correctly, wasn't her playhouse a gift from Grandberry?

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

DCarmen26 wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:I thought that they said a long time ago that the bouncy house was Kelly and Jay's that they bought when their kids were smaller that they passed down to C&K a couple years ago. (those things are only about $200, which is about what it costs to rent on for a weekend, and if you take care of them you can easily get your money back reselling it when you are done with them, We did this same thing. Grandparents bought one for my sisters kids, passed it to mine and got their money back on ebay) The Barbie car was a first birthday gift to MG from Baby League. Compared to B&M who's kids have more toys than Toys R US and E&J's kids who have the bare minimum, i feel like they are pretty avg in the toy dept. Plus lots of the stuff they have stored they are planning on using with subsequent kids. I'd rather see that then them tossing everything and buying it new with every new kid.

Yep, Christmas? I think?
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

RootBeerFloatie wrote:These two are just incredibly lazy. There's no reason or justification as to why they can't cook, clean, exercise, or spend more time with the kids. They just don't want to.
the cooking, cleaning and exercise i get, but spending more time with the kids? They are always with the kids, unless MG is at school or at Granddolly's (which i think Granddolly Day is a thing she has done with all the grand kids until they are school age. She also has "summer camp" at her house for the older ones...) I get what you are saying, but i don't think they need to be chastised for how much time they spend with the kids..
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I just noticed that they have accepted a contingent offer on their house as of yesterday.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:I just noticed that they have accepted a contingent offer on their house as of yesterday.
I hope they don't have to wait for someone else to sell before they can close, this might stretch the time frame out too far for their offer. I wonder what the contingencies are...
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Playsinrain wrote:
DCarmen26 wrote:

Yep, Christmas? I think?
Wow...I think all of them have a lot of toys. My kids were happy with match box cars/a good bike, but perhaps they were deprived. Image

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

Times have changed drastically with kids and toys. I mean heck, five year olds have their own tablet... whaaa?? Funny how Target is displaying the "retro" toys like the Push Ball Popper and wide-eyed telephone toy, etc from when we were younger.

Oooh, a contingent offer. Things are happening!
☆彡
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

That telemarketer guys!!!! Holy crap! I can't believe that guy talked to them that way. i mean sure, Cullen was agging it on (i totally have done the same, its much fun) but that just shows you it was a total scam (if it wasn't clear enough) if the guy was being that unprofessional. :lol: :lol:

Return to “Cullen and Katie”