Unread post by Strawberry26 »

Thread Title Credit: natalka81

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: 8 Passengers, 11 if we can find our pets. Part #5

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Somehow I got unsubscribed to this thread. So I missed the bit about feeding the kids powdered eggs and milk. My dad went to grad school after he retired from the Navy we used powdered milk for a while. It was gross. My sisters had already moved out so it was just my brother and me left. What Is don't get is bringing _more_ children into a situation like that. Ellie and Jared did the same! They talk about living on potatoes and not having money for gas when they were having infertility treatments! WTF? It's​just irresponsible. You don't purposely bring children into the world that you can't afford to feed! Yeah, I am being judgy. I get that there's often no perfect time to have babies, and that there is always a chance of an oopsie baby, but doing it on purpose when you can barely afford to feed yourself is irresponsible. Period

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Addicted2vlogs
Informer
Informer
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Addicted2vlogs »

LOVE the new title

Ew, powdered eggs?? I'm sure it's not as gross as it sounds but REALLY!?! Have more kids!?!? She says it was just during bad financial times, but they still eat like this other than when they go out to eat.
They still basically live on milk, pancakes and rice/black beans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Addicted2vlogs
Informer
Informer

#FirstWorldProblems

ForeverGauc01
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ForeverGauc01 »

Following!
I don't understand bringing more kids into a situation like that either, but I think it's a part of their religion and beliefs. Have as many kids as possible no matter what

alexandriablue
Talker
Talker

Unread post by alexandriablue »

I don't know much about the Mormon church or tithing, but do they really expect you to give 10% when you're barely able to feed your kids? Is it a requirement, or a pride thing?
shortstop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by shortstop »

How does Ruby not know that Kevin hired people to do landscape work??
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

alexandriablue wrote:I don't know much about the Mormon church or tithing, but do they really expect you to give 10% when you're barely able to feed your kids? Is it a requirement, or a pride thing?
It's a requirement, or you can't go to the Temple.
Addicted2vlogs
Informer
Informer

shortstop wrote:How does Ruby not know that Kevin hired people to do landscape work??
She would forget what you told her 10 minutes ago Image

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

Sarai wrote:
alexandriablue wrote:I don't know much about the Mormon church or tithing, but do they really expect you to give 10% when you're barely able to feed your kids? Is it a requirement, or a pride thing?
That is so fucked up. The more I learn about this religion, the more infuriated I get. Sick.
ForeverGauc01
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Caisflame wrote:
Sarai wrote:
That is so fucked up. The more I learn about this religion, the more infuriated I get. Sick.
I agree that's ridiculous. How can they expect someone who can barely feed their family, to give 10% of their income. In assuming this is each pay? Or is it monthly, annually?
Either way it's fucked. Take your money and expect you to have a million kids

greyskies9
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by greyskies9 »

Ok I have to step in and say something here. The LDS church encourages food storage for the reason of being self sufficient in times of need, job loss, and tragedy or natural disaster. No one knows when someone will get sick, lose a job, be injured or something, so we believe that you should be prepared. Now some people do 3 months, 6 months or 1 year depending on what they can afford. While I do think it is dumb of her to call cookies snacks, she has never been hard up for food. She has a cooking blog http://goodlookinhomecookin.blogspot.com/ that shows they have always eaten well. I also read her blog before she made it private and she was always talking about incorporating her food storage into meals as to not be wasteful, not because they couldn't afford food. Except for a time when Kevin didn't have a job (about 6 weeks I think) when they did in fact depend on food storage. On another note, the church takes care of it's members very well. If a family is in true need, we have Bishop's storehouses that are kind of like a food pantry. Also we Fast the first Sunday of each month and donate the money we would have spent of food to Fast Offerings that goes to provide financial assistance and food for those who need it. We also provide rescue relief all around the world with donations. If someone is in need of ANYTHING, the bishop, Elders quorm, and Relief Society will ask people personally and find help for people. Our members will be taken care of one way or another. Tithing is not exclusively a Mormon thing. LOTS of churches ask their members to pay tithing. Tithing goes into building churches, temples, and helping people. None of our clergy takes any sort of paycheck all callings are volunteered. Lastly, if Ruby were REALLY in need, there are a million things she could have done to save money on food. Coupons, shopping deals, etc. As you can see in her food hauls, she didn't try saving money. Costco, while convenient, is not cheap. I think she used powdered milk and eggs because she wanted to use her food storage not because she couldn't afford it.
pleasecleanyourhouse
Talker
Talker

Unread post by pleasecleanyourhouse »

greyskies9 wrote:Ok I have to step in and say something here. The LDS church encourages food storage for the reason of being self sufficient in times of need, job loss, and tragedy or natural disaster. No one knows when someone will get sick, lose a job, be injured or something, so we believe that you should be prepared. Now some people do 3 months, 6 months or 1 year depending on what they can afford. While I do think it is dumb of her to call cookies snacks, she has never been hard up for food. She has a cooking blog http://goodlookinhomecookin.blogspot.com/ that shows they have always eaten well. I also read her blog before she made it private and she was always talking about incorporating her food storage into meals as to not be wasteful, not because they couldn't afford food. Except for a time when Kevin didn't have a job (about 6 weeks I think) when they did in fact depend on food storage. On another note, the church takes care of it's members very well. If a family is in true need, we have Bishop's storehouses that are kind of like a food pantry. Also we Fast the first Sunday of each month and donate the money we would have spent of food to Fast Offerings that goes to provide financial assistance and food for those who need it. We also provide rescue relief all around the world with donations. If someone is in need of ANYTHING, the bishop, Elders quorm, and Relief Society will ask people personally and find help for people. Our members will be taken care of one way or another. Tithing is not exclusively a Mormon thing. LOTS of churches ask their members to pay tithing. Tithing goes into building churches, temples, and helping people. None of our clergy takes any sort of paycheck all callings are volunteered. Lastly, if Ruby were REALLY in need, there are a million things she could have done to save money on food. Coupons, shopping deals, etc. As you can see in her food hauls, she didn't try saving money. Costco, while convenient, is not cheap. I think she used powdered milk and eggs because she wanted to use her food storage not because she couldn't afford it.
I just scrolled through that blog and hoestly... where is all the healthy food? Only high carb recipes - pancakes, bread, mufiins... And yes, I saw multiple posts on the blog but there were only few balanced meals
ForeverGauc01
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I think the food storage is actually fantastic. I'd like to start one for myself. As stated a few posts up, you truly never know when you're going to be in need. I'm not disagreeing about the food at all. I just don't understand taking money from people who are barely able to feed their family. Yes it was stated that it was "voluntary" but someone else said that if you don't, you can't go to temple, which I assume is a big deal. This whole religion is just weird to me. But then again I think religion as a whole is strange

greyskies9
Amateur
Amateur

pleasecleanyourhouse wrote:
greyskies9 wrote:Ok I have to step in and say something here. The LDS church encourages food storage for the reason of being self sufficient in times of need, job loss, and tragedy or natural disaster. No one knows when someone will get sick, lose a job, be injured or something, so we believe that you should be prepared. Now some people do 3 months, 6 months or 1 year depending on what they can afford. While I do think it is dumb of her to call cookies snacks, she has never been hard up for food. She has a cooking blog http://goodlookinhomecookin.blogspot.com/ that shows they have always eaten well. I also read her blog before she made it private and she was always talking about incorporating her food storage into meals as to not be wasteful, not because they couldn't afford food. Except for a time when Kevin didn't have a job (about 6 weeks I think) when they did in fact depend on food storage. On another note, the church takes care of it's members very well. If a family is in true need, we have Bishop's storehouses that are kind of like a food pantry. Also we Fast the first Sunday of each month and donate the money we would have spent of food to Fast Offerings that goes to provide financial assistance and food for those who need it. We also provide rescue relief all around the world with donations. If someone is in need of ANYTHING, the bishop, Elders quorm, and Relief Society will ask people personally and find help for people. Our members will be taken care of one way or another. Tithing is not exclusively a Mormon thing. LOTS of churches ask their members to pay tithing. Tithing goes into building churches, temples, and helping people. None of our clergy takes any sort of paycheck all callings are volunteered. Lastly, if Ruby were REALLY in need, there are a million things she could have done to save money on food. Coupons, shopping deals, etc. As you can see in her food hauls, she didn't try saving money. Costco, while convenient, is not cheap. I think she used powdered milk and eggs because she wanted to use her food storage not because she couldn't afford it.
I just scrolled through that blog and hoestly... where is all the healthy food? Only high carb recipes - pancakes, bread, mufiins... And yes, I saw multiple posts on the blog but there were only few balanced meals

I didn't say it was super healthy, when I said "ate well" I meant weren't starving or hard up for food. She will always be a carb heavy, sugarholic.
greyskies9
Amateur
Amateur

ForeverGauc01 wrote:I think the food storage is actually fantastic. I'd like to start one for myself. As stated a few posts up, you truly never know when you're going to be in need. I'm not disagreeing about the food at all. I just don't understand taking money from people who are barely able to feed their family. Yes it was stated that it was "voluntary" but someone else said that if you don't, you can't go to temple, which I assume is a big deal. This whole religion is just weird to me. But then again I think religion as a whole is strange

We believe that all our money is from God and is his to be wise stewards over. We are showing a greatful heart and sacrifice giving 10% back to help others. There are a lot of other things that can make you not go to the Temple. Tithing is hard to do and especially when you don't have a lot extra. Like I said, our needs are always met somehow.
ForeverGauc01
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

greyskies9 wrote:
ForeverGauc01 wrote:I think the food storage is actually fantastic. I'd like to start one for myself. As stated a few posts up, you truly never know when you're going to be in need. I'm not disagreeing about the food at all. I just don't understand taking money from people who are barely able to feed their family. Yes it was stated that it was "voluntary" but someone else said that if you don't, you can't go to temple, which I assume is a big deal. This whole religion is just weird to me. But then again I think religion as a whole is strange

We believe that all our money is from God and is his to be wise stewards over. We are showing a greatful heart and sacrifice giving 10% back to help others. There are a lot of other things that can make you not go to the Temple. Tithing is hard to do and especially when you don't have a lot extra. Like I said, our needs are always met somehow.
So you believe that God is giving you money, not your job.. Got it. He just drops it into your bank account. Maybe Mormonism is so bad after all

fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Typically those belonging to the LDS church are suburban, white, and well-connected within their community. Of course they're going to be well-off. I'm sure the "less fortunate" Mormons are still making way above the poverty line.
Highlighter
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Highlighter »

greyskies9 wrote:

I burnt a Jesus effigy on the bonfire and won the local lottery. Tell your sky #daddy thanks xxx
CallieT
Informer
Informer

Unread post by CallieT »

Wow, I'm not Mormon or religious at all but there's no need to blatantly make fun of or trash other people's religions when somebody comes posting here...I'm sure not all Mormons are just like the Griffith girls.

Return to “8 Passengers”