Cultural Appropriation

This section houses all of the debates and discussions held in the Boxing Ring.
ferriswheel
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cultural Appropriation

Unread post by ferriswheel »

Since this is a hot button topic in the Daily Bumps section at the moment, it makes sense for it have it's own place for discussion/debate without derailing the topic of BD completely.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk
Peace, Love and Animal Crackers
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Cultural Appropriation

Unread post by lmmomSD »

So, someone said that you don't have to be mocking to be appropriating, which I understand. But I just wonder if my little altar for my parents would be considered appropriation. Because I don't do it for anyone else, or to show off, or be cute or cool. Nobody outside of the family sees it. My mom learned about the traditions from nuns in Mexico, and I have a good friend who did mission work in El Salvador, so I learned about it from them, and from other sources. I just do it because it makes me feel good to honor my parents. And because even after 21 years, I still miss my dad like crazy, and it helps me share him with my kids. I used to just go to church on All Saints Day, but this gives me more of a connected feeling.
Don't know why I'm concerned about it. I know it's not right to use things that are sacred to other cultures as decor, or because they're cool or trendy. But I also think that one of the great things about all the different cultures in the US is that we can find things that resonate with us and incorporate them, in a respectful way. And I would hope that the fact that I am even concerned about appropriation, speaks in my favor on this.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

lmmomSD wrote:So, someone said that you don't have to be mocking to be appropriating, which I understand. But I just wonder if my little altar for my parents would be considered appropriation. Because I don't do it for anyone else, or to show off, or be cute or cool. Nobody outside of the family sees it. My mom learned about the traditions from nuns in Mexico, and I have a good friend who did mission work in El Salvador, so I learned about it from them, and from other sources. I just do it because it makes me feel good to honor my parents. And because even after 21 years, I still miss my dad like crazy, and it helps me share him with my kids. I used to just go to church on All Saints Day, but this gives me more of a connected feeling.
Don't know why I'm concerned about it. I know it's not right to use things that are sacred to other cultures as decor, or because they're cool or trendy. But I also think that one of the great things about all the different cultures in the US is that we can find things that resonate with us and incorporate them, in a respectful way. And I would hope that the fact that I am even concerned about appropriation, speaks in my favor on this.

I think it's fine because it means something to you, and you're using it in a way that is respectful of the culture. Cultural appropriation involves not having an understanding of the symbols used and using them for superficial reasons, treating other cultures as if they are props for us to use. Your altar sounds beautiful!
Mirandanana
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by Mirandanana »

I think it is just great if one follows their family traditions, but there is nothing wrong to not to. I personally know some families very well integrated in the US culture but still following their traditions together. Everybody has their choice!
ughpleasee
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ughpleasee »

CarolinaSmith wrote: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:21 pm
lmmomSD wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:36 pm So, someone said that you don't have to be mocking to be appropriating, which I understand. But I just wonder if my little altar for my parents would be considered appropriation. Because I don't do it for anyone else, or to show off, or be cute or cool. Nobody outside of the family sees it. My mom learned about the traditions from nuns in Mexico, and I have a good friend who did mission work in El Salvador, so I learned about it from them, and from other sources. I just do it because it makes me feel good to honor my parents. And because even after 21 years, I still miss my dad like crazy, and it helps me share him with my kids. I used to just go to church on All Saints Day, but this gives me more of a connected feeling.

I wonder who comes up with these rules) Seriously, who said that you can’t mix different cultures? Will lightning strike you for this?) Do what you want, you will not lose the respect of another faith if another stands nearby. In any case, you can follow Buddhism; it does not deny other faiths ;)
I know this thread is old, but I need to answer this. It's not that you can't "mix" cultures, it's doing it without respecting the culture AND actively engaging in the oppression of members of that culture. Knowing the background and appreciating certain cultural aspects (like ImmomSD is describing) is perfectly fine.

Also ImmomSD: I know it's two years late, but as a Mexican, I think your altars are lovely and perfectly fine! It's great you found comfort on some part of our culture :D

Return to “Debates/Discussions”