i still hope she'll go overdue.
But their vlogs are so boring though..
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Wander: Natural Disaster

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

I've never heard of an employer not offering health insurance but providing paid paternity leave. But I've never had a full-time job that didn't come with health insurance benefits, so maybe it's more common than I realize. Or he's on unpaid leave.

I've heard of women taking their maternity leave early if they have health problems. I can't imagine what would posses an able bodied man to take his paternity leave early when his wife is perfectly healthy and hasn't even hit her due date yet. Most men want to save that leave time for adjusting to and bonding with their newborn and to be able to help when the baby is actually here. I think there's something fishy with this "paternity leave" story. Or it's just a new level of entitled, whiney couch potato for them, which is entirely possible.
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I've never heard of an employer not offering health insurance but providing paid paternity leave. But I've never had a full-time job that didn't come with health insurance benefits, so maybe it's more common than I realize. Or he's on unpaid leave.

I've heard of women taking their maternity leave early if they have health problems. I can't imagine what would posses an able bodied man to take his paternity leave early when his wife is perfectly healthy and hasn't even hit her due date yet. Most men want to save that leave time for adjusting to and bonding with their newborn and to be able to help when the baby is actually here. I think there's something fishy with this "paternity leave" story. Or it's just a new level of entitled, whiney couch potato for them, which is entirely possible.
Who knows, maybe he is lying and he just quit that side job completely and is only doing youtube now. They think that their baby will bring in the views.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

I have a feeling she'll go into labor today. Call it "viewer's intuition". ;)

The feather on their new baby toy seems like a hazard. It will surely get ripped down as soon as June can reach for things, if not by Paris before then.
aral12
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by aral12 »

As an educator the whole "we prefer naturals" drove me crazy. I agree with them, I hate normal baby toys and think they look tacky as hell. BUT they are designed like that for a reason! Babies need their senses woken up, with textures and colours- the bolder the better! You can always put baby items away and not have them be "part of your decor".... oh wait they live in a shoebox and only gave themselves the option to have every baby item on display.

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

The natural wood baby gym looks so boring. There is no way the baby is going to play in that. It looks like a perch I would get for my parrot. Lol

Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

I was rolling my eyes at the paternity leave too. Him saying how stressful things have been. He needs the time to take care of himself and Kelsey. She's experiencing a perfectly healthy pregnancy and isn't taking care of any children or anything at all. What does she need help with, pressing play on Netflix? Swallowing her prenatals? These two are pathetic. If this baby doesn't come right away he'll be regretting the early paternity leave when Kelsey could actually use the help after Juniper comes.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

OK, I know I have done the military wife rant before on other threads, but these two just make me insane. I was lucky enough that my husband was actually home for both of my kids' births, but he did get sent to Japan for a good long period when I was very pregnant with my second and working. The way these two, and other vloggers carry on, it's like nobody has their level of stress, and I want to reach through the screen and shake them. I get having a first baby (or subsequent babies) is stressful, but it seems like they aren't stressed about taking on responsibility for another human being, and making sure they raise a good person. They're stressed about the color of toys.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I've never heard of an employer not offering health insurance but providing paid paternity leave.
I'm 100% sure it's NOT paid paternity leave. In the US, most maternity and paternity leave is unpaid. It's a federal law to allow leave, but employers are not required to pay the employee - mother or father. Plus, I think Corbin's "job" is only part-time and he's almost never actually at his "office."
westwuff
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by westwuff »

I don't watch but randomly, so maybe my perspective is skewed, but do we ever get a good idea of how Kelsey feels about these things? I heard her say she felt like she would be pregnant forever and her opinion about the toys and generally how amazing food is, but other than her fear of hospitals, I haven't heard her talk about being very stressed? When to take parental leave should be a big discussion between a couple. The vlog gives the impression Corbin impulsively took it. This may not be the case, it just sounded that way to me.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

westwuff wrote:I don't watch but randomly, so maybe my perspective is skewed, but do we ever get a good idea of how Kelsey feels about these things? I heard her say she felt like she would be pregnant forever and her opinion about the toys and generally how amazing food is, but other than her fear of hospitals, I haven't heard her talk about being very stressed? When to take parental leave should be a big discussion between a couple. The vlog gives the impression Corbin impulsively took it. This may not be the case, it just sounded that way to me.
As someone else mentioned above, I wouldn't be surprised if he quit his other job. They seem to be expecting June and becoming YT lottery winners at the same time...like M&B. Their views are WAY up even from their van travel (which were actually more interesting vlogs), so I'm thinking they can afford to live off YT earnings and brand deals for now. They will certainly get a spike in views once June arrives. He probably won't be going back to work.
pohtahtoh
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by pohtahtoh »

When is her official due date??

Strawberry26
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Strawberry26 »

pohtahtoh wrote:When is her official due date??

March 7'th, 2017

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk
907ninja
Informer
Informer

Unread post by 907ninja »

Did someone let them borrow their car? I'm assuming it's From Corbin's family. I may have missed the vlog where it was addressed

ohaudrey
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by ohaudrey »

Strawberry26 wrote:
pohtahtoh wrote:When is her official due date??

March 7'th, 2017

Sent from my LG-K121 using Tapatalk
She's getting close. So much for their 37, 38 week predictions lol. She'll go over, mark my words. First time mom, healthy pregnancy.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

907ninja wrote:Did someone let them borrow their car? I'm assuming it's From Corbin's family. I may have missed the vlog where it was addressed

No, a rent-by-the-hour car company is sponsoring them. So they get to drive luxury vehicles for free.

So sustainable.
MandyJ
Informer
Informer

Unread post by MandyJ »

What is it with these people and appropriating cultures? And of freaking course the lady doing the henna is a white lady with "locs" they want to present themselves as so culturally aware and but they are so freaking clueless. They look like such typical yuppie poser assholes

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

ewokfan11 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:I've never heard of an employer not offering health insurance but providing paid paternity leave.
I'm 100% sure it's NOT paid paternity leave. In the US, most maternity and paternity leave is unpaid. It's a federal law to allow leave, but employers are not required to pay the employee - mother or father. Plus, I think Corbin's "job" is only part-time and he's almost never actually at his "office."
I believe my employer only offers maternity leave and it's 12 weeks and pays 50% of your normal salary during that time. It's part of our disability insurance policy, so it does not apply to fathers. Unfortunately I'd say it's a very common policy for mid-size organizations here.

I just can't imagine he's making much more than minimum wage with his side job. I can't fathom a position that pays well that you can walk away from whenever you like for long stretches of time like the van trip and this impromptu leave. Most positions come with responsibilities and long term projects that you can't just walk away from. If I behaved that way at work, I'd be replaced. His scope must be very limited and they must have other admin assistants with whom he shares responsibilities. I also don't think he'd be so quick to walk away if the pay was decent.

I do wonder if Bryan would tolerate Missy wanting to subsidize her friend's lifestyle. Giving them money while they were on their trip is one thing, but I wonder if he would put his foot down after that. Bryan and Corbin are not close, and the Lannings are probably already supporting her parents in one way or the other. Missy and Bryan didn't gift Kelsey and Corbin with a car like I was expecting, so maybe they're not as financially involved as I suspected.

I think Kelsey and Corbin could currently be living paycheck to paycheck on their YouTube income, but I highly doubt they're saving for retirement, saving for a future home, saving for college, or building a rainy day fund. I also suspect at least Kelsey has student loans and I have no clue if they're paying their cards off in full every month, but it wouldn't surprise me if they're being irresponsible with credit. If they can't afford a downpayment and a car payment, maybe they are on their own.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

MandyJ wrote:What is it with these people and appropriating cultures? And of freaking course the lady doing the henna is a white lady with "locs" they want to present themselves as so culturally aware and but they are so freaking clueless. They look like such typical yuppie poser assholes

HAHAHA! Welcome to hipster Portlandia!! One of the reasons I left...and all the freaking rain!

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”