Steps to Whining: The Art of Entitlement

ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Whining: The Art of Entitlement

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

WTH??! They met up with M&B at the Temecula Farmer's Market, but they never showed them on camera or mentioned them being there? They also had lunch with them (WITH margaritas) and didn't film that either. I wonder what's up with that!!???!!? Do M&B ask them not to film them?

SO WEIRD!!!!!
MandyJ
Informer
Informer

Unread post by MandyJ »

ewokfan11 wrote:
fossilfinger wrote:YouTubers who have talent management don't have as much agency over their content as we're led to think. This move was a business decision that most likely involved multiple people besides Corbin, Kelsey, Bryan, and Missy. I'm sure they were told from many different sides that moving to Southern California was absolutely necessary to maximize their viewership, and probably had many carrots dangled in front of them regarding new sponsors and branding opportunities. We don't watch people just living their lives; we watch carefully calculated business moves.
There is a lot of truth to this!!! Fullscreen probably wanted them to start making more $$$. Baby League probably wouldn't have given them a "second season." Plus, being close to M&B obviously means more sponsorships and exposure.

The one thing I've noticed is that they still haven't hit 200K subs. Maybe the DB's audience really doesn't like them??? I totally thought they would have hit 200K around the time they moved...guess not. Corbin is 10000% unlikeable, so I guess I shouldn't be that surprised.
It's because Corbin is just that unwatchable and Kelsey isn't much better. Other than the house tour, I literally haven't watched them in months because I can't freaking stand them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chichi
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Chichi »

"Talent Management" is an interesting concept in YouTube. Curious what kinds of talents Corbin and Kelsey have, that an outsider could nurture and develop? Also not sure what handy ideas they could impart to young first time parents...
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

luci417 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:This is my theory on the move. I really believe that Missy has been subsiding them for some time, first with cash on the van trip (which we know for a fact) and then perhaps with Amazon money. They were spending like they were quite comfortable back in Portland, even after Corbin quite his job and their views were hovering around 50K or less a day. I won’t rehash all of it, but everything we know about their situation doesn’t add up to two adults who can support themselves and a child in the city. The Lannings were probably giving them money one way or another. I think Bryan put his foot down and said that if they were going to continue to send money, Corbin needed to actually work for it. And thus, the move to California. I think that if their channel had taken off on its own merit and they were making the big bucks, I doubt they would have left Portland.
I agree with everything you said, but I think the DBs thing was probably kind of 'an offer they couldn't refuse' type situation. B and M were willing to fund them but Bryan has a short temper. I don't think it was an ultimatum but I DO I think they probably said something like 'Hey why not come down to California to live for a while? It'll be so good for your channel and we can set you up with a job!' and it became pretty clear they couldn't say no and expect to ever receive money again. There's no way they could get by without their benefactors so they went.
Oh yeah, I agree that Bryan didn't give Kelsey and Corbin an ultimatum. I think he gave Missy an ultimatum. I think he continued to be friendly, but in private he was telling Missy that Corbin needed to work for the money they were giving him, and then left it up to Missy to deliver the message in a way that would preserve the friendship. I agree that Kelsey and Corbin probably got the message that the free ride was over and they couldn't refuse the job and still expect to receive financial support.

I don't know what role Fullscreen had in their move, I'm sure they could have encouraged it or recommended it, but I doubt they demanded it. From everything I've heard, networks aren't all that involved or helpful for smaller channels. Fullscreen must manage tens of thousands of channels, and I'm willing to bet they only really cater to the very large players. Everyone else is just getting suckered into handing over 30% of their revenue in exchange for very little. I think Steps to Wander was too small to get any real support or branding advice. I'm sure Daily Bumps was able to get them some preferential treatment once they were back with Fullscreen again, but I doubt they were getting any serious or thoughtful business advice from Fullscreen. There are plenty of other YouTubers who do well for themselves without being driving distance to LA. I think the Daily Bumps money was the main draw, and the bigger sponsorships would follow once their views and subscribers count went up.

It's is interesting that they spend *everyday* with the Lannings but don't always include each other in the vlogs. I really can't fathom spending every day meeting up with the same couple. That friendship is going to go south quickly for one reason or another.
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

HashtagBlessed wrote: I really can't fathom spending every day meeting up with the same couple. That friendship is going to go south quickly for one reason or another.
Yep, you're on the money with this. Look what happened to the Johnson's - and they're actually family!
funckyerdoder
Talker
Talker

Unread post by funckyerdoder »

Corbin is back at it again with the emotionally cruel "pranks". What a dick
Shorty02
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Shorty02 »

Yup, I don't think I can watch them anymore. I don't know if this vlog was completely staged and Kelsey was in on it, but if she wasn't that's really awful. I hate Corbin, like I really do. Who the hell does something like that to their own wife? It's not funny, it's not cute, and if someone constantly did things like that to me I would divorce him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Theirmom »

Totally fake. They're bad actors. What a stupid video.

:roll:
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

Theirmom wrote:Totally fake. They're bad actors. What a stupid video.

I got the impression that it was fake as well. A real reaction would be her cursing at him. Her crying looked totally fake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ja14
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ja14 »

I don't like pranks in general. If my husband pulled that shit on me, I'd probably threaten divorce. I haven't watched to gauge if it was faked, but I sure hope it was.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm glad I came here first before watching today video. I'm not even going to watch. A "prank" about a missing pet????!! That's NOT FUNNY...THAT'S JUST INSANELY MEAN. If my boyfriend did something like that to me about my cat, I'd DUMP him immediately (if he was still alive).

I'm guessing Kelsey was in on it because that's WAY TOO MEAN to do to anyone.

Regardless, Corbin is an ASSHOLE!
Last edited by ewokfan11 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

He's too much of a wet washcloth to be the next gfvbf prank channel. They need to get in the Subaru and wander around sunny so cal

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I’m watching now to see if I think it was either fake or incredibly mean. Either way, it’s really twisted that he thinks pranks involving something bad happening to their baby or their pet are funny.

After watching it, I personally think he really let her believe the dog had escaped, which is so incredibly cruel. I think her reaction to both the “baby’s first haircut” and the “lost dog” prank were genuine, just because I don’t think she’s that good of an actress. Her voice gets really high-pitched and her hands start flailing out of control and it just genuinely looks like she’s having a meltdown and losing control. The way Corbin lets the camera fall so that it doesn’t look like his filming makes me think it’s not staged- if they were acting for the camera, wouldn’t get a better shot and include her face? The fact that Corbin let her knock on the neighbor’s door and involve them when he knew exactly where Paris was? I truly think Corbin has a screw loose and it involves a very cruel side. I shudder to think what he’s like when the camera isn’t rolling if this is the kind of stuff he does to his wife when he has an audience. Even if his judgement was so poor that he thought this would somehow be “funny,” wouldn’t a normal person drop it and tell the truth once the other person started crying and getting really upset? And wouldn’t he have learned his lesson the last time he tried something like this? I wouldn’t be all that surprised to find out she was in on it and acting the whole time, because it’s just so far out of the realm of acceptable behavior, but my personal guess is that he’s just a psychopath.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm looking at the comments and it looks like that video did not go over well. If they save face and claim Kelsey was acting the whole time tomorrow, they're going to look stupid and desperate. If they don't reveal that Kelsey was in on the prank, Corbin is going to look like an even bigger asshole. It's a lose-lose situation, because the video was not funny.
ja14
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ja14 »

I watched the video. I think her reaction is geniune. My only reservation is it seems like Paris would make noise when being called so many times.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I honestly don't think that the "baby's first haircut" thing was that bad. My daughter cut her own hair, and I didn't freak out. That being said, I still think a "prank war" between adults is stupid. And Corbin has no clue how to prank someone without being cruel. I may think the haircut was NBD, but obviously Kelsey was upset by it. And pretending a beloved pet has run away right after moving to a new place, is beyond evil.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HashtagBlessed wrote:I'm looking at the comments and it looks like that video did not go over well. If they save face and claim Kelsey was acting the whole time tomorrow, they're going to look stupid and desperate. If they don't reveal that Kelsey was in on the prank, Corbin is going to look like an even bigger asshole. It's a lose-lose situation, because the video was not funny.
Cue a video telling off the "haters"...

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:I honestly don't think that the "baby's first haircut" thing was that bad. My daughter cut her own hair, and I didn't freak out. That being said, I still think a "prank war" between adults is stupid. And Corbin has no clue how to prank someone without being cruel. I may think the haircut was NBD, but obviously Kelsey was upset by it. And pretending a beloved pet has run away right after moving to a new place, is beyond evil.

Regarding the haircut, I personally probably wouldn't be too upset about what a small baby's hair looks like, but I know that some people are very sentimental about the first haircut. A child cutting her own hair is one thing, but a parent giving a baby her first haircut without the consent of the other parent might be upsetting and disrespectful. For me, it was more the fact that Corbin yelled and then locked the door and refused to let Kelsey in even as she's banging on the door and pleading with him to let her in. I thought it was highly inappropriate to not let the other parent in and it clearly made Kelsey very panicked. Frankly the way she was carrying on also struck me as very childish and immature, even though I thought that what he did was uncalled for and highly inappropriate. It made me cringe for the both of them, because you could see how immature they both are when they are actually communicating with each other during a stressful situation and not just faking it for the vlog.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:I honestly don't think that the "baby's first haircut" thing was that bad. My daughter cut her own hair, and I didn't freak out. That being said, I still think a "prank war" between adults is stupid. And Corbin has no clue how to prank someone without being cruel. I may think the haircut was NBD, but obviously Kelsey was upset by it. And pretending a beloved pet has run away right after moving to a new place, is beyond evil.

Regarding the haircut, I personally probably wouldn't be too upset about what a small baby's hair looks like, but I know that some people are very sentimental about the first haircut. A child cutting her own hair is one thing, but a parent giving a baby her first haircut without the consent of the other parent might be upsetting and disrespectful. For me, it was more the fact that Corbin yelled and then locked the door and refused to let Kelsey in even as she's banging on the door and pleading with him to let her in. I thought it was highly inappropriate to not let the other parent in and it clearly made Kelsey very panicked. Frankly the way she was carrying on also struck me as very childish and immature, even though I thought that what he did was uncalled for and highly inappropriate. It made me cringe for the both of them, because you could see how immature they both are when they are actually communicating with each other during a stressful situation and not just faking it for the vlog.
I think the haircut prank was fake because there were TWO doors to the bathroom in that apartment and Kelsey didn't even try to use the other one. If I were that upset I'd try the other door. You can see from the "hidden camera" she didn't even try to use the bedroom entrance to the bathroom.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

ewokfan11 wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:

I think the haircut prank was fake because there were TWO doors to the bathroom in that apartment and Kelsey didn't even try to use the other one. If I were that upset I'd try the other door. You can see from the "hidden camera" she didn't even try to use the bedroom entrance to the bathroom.
Had they turned June's "nursery" into a storage room already at that point? If that's the case, they wouldn't be able to use the other door. They were storing things like their old mattress there. Yep, I just looked at the archives and they turned the closet area into storage on the August 4 vlog and the prank video was posted on August 14.

I found it odd that Corbin assumed Kelsey wouldn't check the bathroom where he hid Paris. She could have started opening all the doors to closets and bathrooms, but then again he told her that he left Paris outside and hadn't let her back in, so I guess it was a natural assumption that Paris was outside somewhere.

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”