Steps to Wander

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Wander

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

fossilfinger wrote:
ewokfan11 wrote: Also, does Kelsey do anything at all? She seems to be sitting on the couch or in bed 95% of the day!!
I find it interesting that Kelsey and Corbin claim to be so progressive, yet have such a traditional family structure. Only the man of the family can work and take care of official things, while the wife gets to lay around all day and be cooed over. It's like a philosophy out of the 1950's.
It is strange to watch. Corbin claims he doesn't prepare anything in the kitchen that takes more than 15 minutes. Kelsey worked part-time for the university organizing a trip and was briefly a nanny while she was in school, but otherwise she's a 26-year-old woman without a professional resume or any career history. I'm the same age as they are, and they both seem really inept to me.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

ewokfan11 wrote:Kelsey admits they knew they missed the health insurance deadline in today's vlog. She said it was because the on hold times were too long. WTF??!! They barely even leave the house!! How is a long on hold time a justifiable reason to skip out on getting a pregnant woman health insurance on TIME!? They seem to have major issues with getting adult things done. They don't need books on how to be parents, they need books on how to be adults!!

Also, does Kelsey do anything at all? She seems to be sitting on the couch or in bed 95% of the day!!
And most of those (not all, so maybe theirs doesn't) offer an option to enter your phone number, and you get called back when your spot in the phone queue comes up. Even if that option wasn't available, normal people do put the phone on speaker and do other stuff!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

lmmomSD wrote:
ewokfan11 wrote:Kelsey admits they knew they missed the health insurance deadline in today's vlog. She said it was because the on hold times were too long. WTF??!! They barely even leave the house!! How is a long on hold time a justifiable reason to skip out on getting a pregnant woman health insurance on TIME!? They seem to have major issues with getting adult things done. They don't need books on how to be parents, they need books on how to be adults!!

Also, does Kelsey do anything at all? She seems to be sitting on the couch or in bed 95% of the day!!
And most of those (not all, so maybe theirs doesn't) offer an option to enter your phone number, and you get called back when your spot in the phone queue comes up. Even if that option wasn't available, normal people do put the phone on speaker and do other stuff!
EXACTLY. Mine has that option and the wait for the return call was only about 10 minutes. I guess different companies have difference options, but being on hold shouldn't be the reason they missed their healthcare deadline.

But I'm not really surprised. I have now watched some of their very first vlogs and being irresponsible with money or not having the $$$ to pay bills seems to be a trend. Another trend: COMPLAINING about everything!!! I guess things haven't changed much since 2014 - but they do now seem 100% desperate to make YT their full-time "career."
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

ewokfan11 wrote: EXACTLY. Mine has that option and the wait for the return call was only about 10 minutes. I guess different companies have difference options, but being on hold shouldn't be the reason they missed their healthcare deadline.

But I'm not really surprised. I have now watched some of their very first vlogs and being irresponsible with money or not having the $$$ to pay bills seems to be a trend. Another trend: COMPLAINING about everything!!! I guess things haven't changed much since 2014 - but they do now seem 100% desperate to make YT their full-time "career."
They have a pretty fantastic head start in the fact that they're childhood friends with one of the most lucrative family vlogging channels on YouTube right now. If they can't make a go of it under those circumstances, they really are inept. They don't have the advantage of being able to be in each other's videos every day like Missy's cousin, so they really need to work hard to keep the Daily Bumps fanatics tuning in for their content. I don't think they have that appeal. The masses aren't going to tune in to watch Kelsey and Corbin struggle to figure out health insurance or unbox their Amazon furniture. Anyone who was tuning in to see the van trip has dropped out and anyone who thought they were hippie dippie or alternative has been disenchanted at this point.
melonyogloo
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by melonyogloo »

Watching their vlog is like watching the old variety show, a little bit of this and that. There is no focus in their videos. Viewers won't follow if majority of the contents in a particular channel don't cater to them. In spite of gaining lots of new viewers with their clever vlog titles, many unsubbed everyday.

OTOH, I don't know why they thought they are qualified to offer assistance with choosing car seat. They don't even have a car and have not even try putting those in a car. It is like a blind leading a blind. People are going to figure out they know nothing sooner than later. I can't wait to see how they are going to fake it in talking about substainable living on BabyLeague.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

They seem to always call the baby June now, never Juniper. Why bother giving her a silly hipster name if they aren't going to even use it?

I guess I never knew they started dating at 14/15. Yikes. That sort of explains their immaturity and their "bubble" of a life. It doesn't seem like they even had the chance to live individual, independent lives and learn the things most young adults do. Seems like they went straight from high school to living together when Corbin went to college...not sure what Kelsey was doing all those years before she went to college (and I think she only started in January 2013 and went year-round).
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I met my husband in high school and we were married after college. I don't know that their strange behavior is a product of meeting and getting married when they were young. But when people complain about a certain generation being raised with too much supervision and hand holding to the point where they don't know how to run their own lives, they're talking about Kelsey and Corbin, lol.

The idea of them making a "sustainable" baby registry is laughable for many reasons. As we've discussed, they don't live that way. They buy cheap stuff on Amazon and at Ikea. And if they do fill their registry with "sustainable" baby products, they're asking their family and friends (Or rather Missy's friends) to spend the money when they themselves don't put their wallet where their mouth is in the first place.

I will say, they managed to pick a good car seat. My husband works in the industry and he said it's his favorite. I did not, however, ask him about going baseless and using it in cabs. That still sounds like a big hassel. It is not easy to thread a seatbelt through a car seat properly and secure it every time you need to use a car. It made a lot more sense to me when Corbin admitted his parents were spending the $300 for the seat. I'm assuming Missy will be gifting them their stroller. It also looks like they went will a more expensive mini crib option. I think that's the babyletto origami mini crib, which retails for about $280. They're either doing much better on YouTube than I thought, racking up credit card debt, or getting a lot of things gifted to them.
PhoenixFeathers
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PhoenixFeathers »

Sigh... I wanted to like these guys. But the more I'm watching the more annoyed I'm getting.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

That baby shower is going to be a big YouTube gift grab. Carlie Butler accidentally on purpose made her wedding gift registry public. I can totally see these two doing that so that their "fans" can send them stuff. But this shower is purposely scheduled when all their better off vlogging "friends" (AKA the DBEJCK crowd) are going to be in one area and can buy them nice gifts. If it was just for real friends, it would be held someplace else.
Didn't they get married in Portland? Because I remember that in the famous Missy wrapping her legs around Corbin's legs vlog, they were in Portland, and talking about moving there. Am I remembering wrong? So I would _think_ they have friends in Portland, even if they don't show them. Maybe they don't want to be in the vlogs...

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
PopTheButterfly
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PopTheButterfly »

So I'm a couple of days behind. I just got to the vlog about the "pregnancy life saver". Kelsey mentions wanting to try the beer Corbin homebrewed after she's done being pregnant. Is Kelsey not planning on breastfeeding? I've read up recently that it's not recommended to drink beer until baby is at least 3mos old because 4hrs after consuming alcohol reduces the amount of milk the baby gets by 20%.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

PopTheButterfly wrote:So I'm a couple of days behind. I just got to the vlog about the "pregnancy life saver". Kelsey mentions wanting to try the beer Corbin homebrewed after she's done being pregnant. Is Kelsey not planning on breastfeeding? I've read up recently that it's not recommended to drink beer until baby is at least 3mos old because 4hrs after consuming alcohol reduces the amount of milk the baby gets by 20%.

While getting hammered on a regular basis is definitely discouraged, La Leche League says that it's ok to drink in moderation. And they think the barley in beer stimulates milk production. But non alcoholic beer .does that too.

PopTheButterfly
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PopTheButterfly »

lmmomSD wrote:
PopTheButterfly wrote:So I'm a couple of days behind. I just got to the vlog about the "pregnancy life saver". Kelsey mentions wanting to try the beer Corbin homebrewed after she's done being pregnant. Is Kelsey not planning on breastfeeding? I've read up recently that it's not recommended to drink beer until baby is at least 3mos old because 4hrs after consuming alcohol reduces the amount of milk the baby gets by 20%.

While getting hammered on a regular basis is definitely discouraged, La Leche League says that it's ok to drink in moderation. And they think the barley in beer stimulates milk production. But non alcoholic beer .does that too.

Makes sense but I'd still be concerned lol, but then again alcoholism "runs" in my family (aka a lot of my family members get drunk on a regular ish basis) and I'd be concerned to let myself lose my control. I wonder what the proof on the beer is.

melonyogloo
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by melonyogloo »

lmmomSD wrote: Didn't they get married in Portland? Because I remember that in the famous Missy wrapping her legs around Corbin's legs vlog, they were in Portland, and talking about moving there. Am I remembering wrong? So I would _think_ they have friends in Portland, even if they don't show them. Maybe they don't want to be in the vlogs...
They got married in Medford, Oregon. They lived there before moving to Portland.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:That baby shower is going to be a big YouTube gift grab. Carlie Butler accidentally on purpose made her wedding gift registry public. I can totally see these two doing that so that their "fans" can send them stuff. But this shower is purposely scheduled when all their better off vlogging "friends" (AKA the DBEJCK crowd) are going to be in one area and can buy them nice gifts. If it was just for real friends, it would be held someplace else.
Didn't they get married in Portland? Because I remember that in the famous Missy wrapping her legs around Corbin's legs vlog, they were in Portland, and talking about moving there. Am I remembering wrong? So I would _think_ they have friends in Portland, even if they don't show them. Maybe they don't want to be in the vlogs...

They actually got married in in Southern Oregon, where Corbin was working at the time - it's about as far from Portland as you can get!! They didn't seem to have any local friends there and they really don't seem to have any friends in Portland. All of their friends seem to be from growing up in Idaho (like DBs). It would make 100% more sense to have an Idaho baby shower, but now they have to make it a HUGE YT EVENT! Their gender reveal at Missy's has almost 800K views, so I'm sure they are excited for another big video (and Missy is planning and paying for everything!). I guess that's worth not including real friends/family members. :roll: :roll: :roll:
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I understand people not wanting to be filmed, but you would think at a minimum they would at least mention other people in passing if they were interacting with anyone in Portland. The only person who helped them move in was Kelsey's dad. I'm sure they were hoping to make some friendships with this "group midwife appointment" but they just come across as very weird and insular in the vlogs. I'm not really surprised they never made connections in Portland, they seem very co-dependent. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're pompous in real life too. People can sense when others are trying too hard to be something they're not. I'm sure if they did meet a like-minded person, as soon as they opened their mouths it would be obvious they don't know what they're talking about.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

"Co-dependent" completely describes them!!!
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I'm curious how they landed the TV spot. Corbin worked for about a week for a different TV station in Portland and ranted about how horrible it was and quit - it's also the station with the "good" local morning show. I never even knew KGW had a morning show. HAHAHA
summerlee
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by summerlee »

I don't know what I would do if my boyfriend seemed as useless/whiny as Corbin. Like yeah.. It's going to take you a while to put together a table but put the freakin' camera down and DO IT! I don't understand the necessity of a grown man whining about the fact that the table will take "100 times longer" to put together than the crib. Whining and complaining starts to mean less and less the more you do it and he complains multiple times per vlog, every vlog. They preach happiness and mindfulness, but DAMN these people are hard to please.
Another thing, I used to think the "my love" thing was cute, but I now find it cringe-worthy. Maybe it's natural to them but it seems so forced. I feel like they probably chose that nickname as teenagers or something to be cute and it just stuck, but it really freaks me out that I've never heard him call her "Kelsey/Kels" directly. It's overdone IMO.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

summerlee wrote:I don't know what I would do if my boyfriend seemed as useless/whiny as Corbin. Like yeah.. It's going to take you a while to put together a table but put the freakin' camera down and DO IT! I don't understand the necessity of a grown man whining about the fact that the table will take "100 times longer" to put together than the crib. Whining and complaining starts to mean less and less the more you do it and he complains multiple times per vlog, every vlog. They preach happiness and mindfulness, but DAMN these people are hard to please.
Another thing, I used to think the "my love" thing was cute, but I now find it cringe-worthy. Maybe it's natural to them but it seems so forced. I feel like they probably chose that nickname as teenagers or something to be cute and it just stuck, but it really freaks me out that I've never heard him call her "Kelsey/Kels" directly. It's overdone IMO.
Haha, it was especially rich because he just got done preaching to women and minorities (of which he is neither) about how if they work hard enough, they can do whatever they want to do. Cut to Corbin wining about assembling a table.

I'm not sure why he thought it would be live TV? It sounds like they taped a segment as a fluff piece and if the station need to fill time they'll use it. News stations pursue stuff like that all the time just so they have options. There's no guarantee it will be used.
ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:I'm not sure why he thought it would be live TV? It sounds like they taped a segment as a fluff piece and if the station need to fill time they'll use it. News stations pursue stuff like that all the time just so they have options. There's no guarantee it will be used.
It's typically a live show, but it was preempted yesterday because Obama's final press conference was covered by the networks.

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”