8 Hungry Passengers: #NoLeftovers | Part 4

nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: 8 Hungry Passengers: #NoLeftovers | Part 4

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I watched the bra shopping video for as long as I could stand it. I don't watch them anymore but man the comment section is brutally honest. People talking about what hellions the kids are and how they are shocked by the lack of parenting. Well that or 9yo's saying they wish they lived with 8passengers. :(

Is it always they bad? They have thousands of comments, likes and dislikes.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by natalka81 »

nutbagmcgee wrote:I watched the bra shopping video for as long as I could stand it. I don't watch them anymore but man the comment section is brutally honest. People talking about what hellions the kids are and how they are shocked by the lack of parenting. Well that or 9yo's saying they wish they lived with 8passengers. :(

Is it always they bad? They have thousands of comments, likes and dislikes.
Yes, I've noticed a significant change in the comments recently. Interesting that more of them have not been deleted by Ruby! It cracks me up a bit when someone offers constructive criticism and then the next comment is almost always something like "don't be rude, you watch it if you don't want, etc. etc." So predictable! In reality, there is maybe one out of 50 negative comments that is actually rude- the rest are usually very well-said and accurate!
In other news, today's vlog is brought to you by transfats, processed sugar, and a whole lot of whine.
seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

I can't believe Julie has on a bra already under her PJ's.
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Ruby can cry all she wants about people calling Eve a devil, but the kid really is a brat. I didn't even understand her "triangle" of how they discipline their kids. She prioritizes praising Eve over correcting her, no wonder she's constantly breaking shit or peeing on things.
greyskies9
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by greyskies9 »

I am all for loving your kids more than disciplining them, but it doesn't even seem like she does discipline them. There is nothing loving about letting your kids run wild, paint their faces, lie constantly with no consequence. There is a big difference between allowing Julie to buy a bra, and Eve being crazy all the time. She let her kids hold a standoff with the cell phones. She needs to set some hard and fast rules and consequences now!
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

I didnt understand why she used julie wanting a bra as an example for that. Like you said theres a huge difference in julie asking for a bra and eve throwing a segway down the stairs and blaming her stuffed animal for it lol. It just proves that her older kids have a different set of rules than the younger two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sasperillo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by sasperillo »

Her explanation today made sense to me, but perhaps not on the way she intended it. I agree that you can't spend your entire day disciplining or life would be miserable. However this approach has the direct effect of producing alright older kids and terrible younger kids. Imagine that the triangle represents the totality of her parenting resources, for all her children. The triangle stays the same over time but the family grows. Shari got some discipline and some praise. She did something wrong, she paid the consequences which led to more good than bad behavior over time. As they kept adding kids to the family both the discipline and the praise kept coming out of the same bucket of resources, but they were more spread out across kids. Now they are not getting disciplined consistently because they already dished out all the discipline for the day by the time Eve pees on something. And when kids find out that there is no consistency they push boundaries. So the older kids learned that there are consequences for actions and the younger kids learned that sometimes here are consequences for actions, but other times your parents are too burned out and there are no consequences. Same can be said for the praise part of their triangle: with more kids there are just not enough parental resources to go around, so kids get ignored and forgotten in a way that never happened when Shari was Eve's age. Finally, since kids crave attention, they figured out that they can get a larger share of it if they behave like assholes and there is only a chance that they will be disciplined, not a certainty. They've created this dynamic and it's not good for anyone in the family.
alexandriablue
Talker
Talker

Unread post by alexandriablue »

I am glad that people in this thread are doing some summarizing because I had to fast forward through her cringey tears. I did watch some of her "parenting triangle" and I understand where she is coming from, but she doesn't have to get "mad and upset" when correcting Eve's behavior. She doesn't always have to punish, but can't she just tell her in a firm way "No, that was wrong" instead of laughing about everything? I understand laughing off a few incidents but with Eve it's something every single day!

I dunno, I'm not a parent :/
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

There is no way i would be laughing if i heard a loud bang like that. I would have had a heart attack and thought a kid fell down the stairs. Hopefully they checked on that before they started filming themselves laughing.

freshbalsam
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by freshbalsam »

Her triangle algorithm was dumb. Why couldn't it be 50/50? You shouldn't limit one disciplinary action over another one. Children can be reckless and it's important to set boundaries and expectations. Yes, nobody wants to spend their whole day correcting and punishing, but at some point, you need to recognize when your parenting style is not working for one of your children and figure out one that does. Eve walks around that house owning the place. What if she was the one riding the Segway and fell down the stairs? There's no "right" way to parent, but when your child is acting out as much as Eve misbehaves, I do think some part of that parenting is flawed. I understand children can be unruly, but Ruby needs to take control.

Also, she's crying about comments over videos that she films, edits, and uploads. If you don't want strangers calling your kid a devil then why are you constantly showing clips and situations where she's acting like one?

Kjr123
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Kjr123 »

The fact that they knew it would be the Segway before they even went to check if everyone was okay means they knew eve was playing with it unsupervised. By stairs. What the hell. Good thing their heavenly Father keeps an eye out. Ha.

And her rant about her parenting. You're right Ruby. Only parent 1/10 of the day. Kids only need anot hour of correcting a day. Whatever. If a kid needs correcting, correct them. Her way of thinking is so bizzare.
Namm
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Namm »

Felt sorry for Ruby at first but Kevin wasn't reacting towards her at all so I let that go as well. Also Ruby kind of switched from hurt/sad to very happy okay, lets go on with the vlogging so fast that I don't know what to think of the whole situation.

One thing that I've noticed is that Evie acts well when Ruby isn't around. She listens to her father when he is firm and behaves around her cousins. Evie knows that her mama encourages the bad behavior and that's why she does it. Can't believe Evie is turning 4, sorry but she could easily be mistaken for a 2 year old.

Her rant or crying has more to do with her relationship with Kevin and him beeing gone so often through the years and absent when he's around +more behind the scene. That's why he looked at her knowing the reason why she was so sad. She's obviously overwhelmed and feels alone but won't adress the real issue cause it's easier to use Evie's situation which can be solved easily by sending Evie to kindergarten/preschool.
seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

She can cry all she wants, they're still stupid parents.

Poor Russell his mouth was on fire.
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Im suprised she didnt throw a fit about the pepper being in his food. Ellie definitely would have LOL

cringeworthy
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by cringeworthy »

What if Eve was on that Segway? Those children are always unsupervised. I don't get it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Susimomoffour

Unread post by Susimomoffour »

So has Ruby said anything about going to Italy with April and Davey? I was surprised to see them meet up on the flight.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

The triangle method is such a simplistic method for a simple mind, no wonder Ruby understood it and liked it.
So, if you child does something bad, you correct him and you spent all the top portion on punishing, and the child continues, you go "well, I already spent all this time correcting you so there's no more time left, I will let it all pass".

The Anatomy of Peace was published in 1945 :D. Yes, I would really educate my children based on a 70 years old book!
Does Kevin only read research published 70 years ago? Or does he look for the newest methods?
With reviews like:
This book read uncomfortably like religious scripture. It tried to explain its thesis through a fictional story which, at times, was heavily clichéd and lacked credibility. If the authors...whoever they may be...wanted to clearly communicate what they regard as an important idea then they should simply explain it factually and give real world evidence for its usefulness. Instead, we have the fictional story of several troubled families and some historical anecdotes.
In my google results it said: "People also search for" and the book "I Paid Hitler" showed up.

If you search "Anatomy of Peace mormon" you can see it's quite popular among them, even the LDS publishing house has it.
So it is church approved, I guess their values are from the same time period.
velvetfreak
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by velvetfreak »

I just watched the Vlog where they were getting new bras for Abby. I felt so bad for her :( how utterly mortifying for a young girl, especially someone like her who is quite shy.

This is exactly why I will never have a large family. I have nothing against big families if you are the type of parent who can handle it, which Ruby is not. This should have been handled in a totally different manner. Either Ruby should have taken just Abby to the store to look at bras, or should have gone by herself, picked out a few different ones and let Abby look at them at home and then returned the ones that weren't needed. Heck, she could have just had everyone else wait in the car and taken Abby in alone.

Not to mention Shari constantly butting in all the time. If she were my older sister, I would smack her upside the head if she did that to me.
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by calliepaige »

I am SHOCKED they went on the couples trip to Italy today!!!!!!!

YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

If Ruby doesn't see anything wrong with the way Eve acts, she has some serious issues. Of course all kids are a little rambunctious and such, but with Eve, its something all the time. Extreme, too. I don't know if I necessarily believe the triangle thing, I think kids need to be corrected in order to see right from wrong, and good from bad. Correcting doesn't always have to be mean and include punishment. Sometimes you just have to tell your kids that it's not right how they're acting/what they're doing. I never see her correct Eve or punish (Besides threatening to cut her stuffed animal's head off...) Most times, she just laughs. That is only going to discourage her. She needs to instill in Eve one way or another how to behave appropriately, and she's very unsuccessful at that. Her clip kind of angered me. Way to justify everything.

Return to “8 Passengers”