8 Passengers, 11 If We Can Find Our Pets | Part 5

Boredomatitsfinest
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers, 11 if we can find our pets. Part #5

Unread post by Boredomatitsfinest »

I just have to say, 14 year old Shari is like college aged me. Haha. I never had that kind of work ethic (redoing notes neatly and what not) until I was in college and actually took school seriously. I think it's pretty admirable of her. I really, really hope she keeps up with it and ends up going to college and doesn't get too wrapped up in the Utah/Mormon-go to beauty school-SAHM goals-get married at 18-bubble as she gets older.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Is their seminary before school? Because the one at my best friend's ward was at 6:30 am. I went because it was interesting, I enjoyed having spirited discussions with the leader, who despite not wanting my best friend to date black guys, was very nice. Anyway, if it is at 6:30am, I can understand Ruby saying she wasn't going to force the other kids to go.
My favorite was the argument about whether or not Jesus drank wine. I had fun bringing in facts from my Bible scholar father and seeing what their teacher came up with. I think it really bummed him out that I went to Seminary every day and he never managed to convert me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

Boredomatitsfinest wrote:I just have to say, 14 year old Shari is like college aged me. Haha. I never had that kind of work ethic (redoing notes neatly and what not) until I was in college and actually took school seriously. I think it's pretty admirable of her. I really, really hope she keeps up with it and ends up going to college and doesn't get too wrapped up in the Utah/Mormon-go to beauty school-SAHM goals-get married at 18-bubble as she gets older.
But is rewriting notes actually going to help someone study (unless the original ones are completely unreadable)? There are methods of taking notes like Cornell notes - writing key points on one side of the paper, notes in the middle, and then a summary at the bottom - that would be more productive than than.
kaymaroff
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by kaymaroff »

I actually enjoyed their vlog today - it's the first one I've watched all the way through for months!

I hope Shari does well at school, and goes to college. She seems to have the right enthusiasm and brains to do well and not just marry young and have lots of kids! (Not saying that is always a bad choice!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

kaymaroff wrote:I actually enjoyed their vlog today - it's the first one I've watched all the way through for months!

I hope Shari does well at school, and goes to college. She seems to have the right enthusiasm and brains to do well and not just marry young and have lots of kids! (Not saying that is always a bad choice!)

I agree, today Shari was finally acting like a high school freshman and the kid that she is. It's also really good that she is so serious about her education.
Lauralou_15
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Lauralou_15 »

fossilfinger wrote:
Boredomatitsfinest wrote:I just have to say, 14 year old Shari is like college aged me. Haha. I never had that kind of work ethic (redoing notes neatly and what not) until I was in college and actually took school seriously. I think it's pretty admirable of her. I really, really hope she keeps up with it and ends up going to college and doesn't get too wrapped up in the Utah/Mormon-go to beauty school-SAHM goals-get married at 18-bubble as she gets older.
But is rewriting notes actually going to help someone study (unless the original ones are completely unreadable)? There are methods of taking notes like Cornell notes - writing key points on one side of the paper, notes in the middle, and then a summary at the bottom - that would be more productive than than.
People learn differently, Shari did say that re writing then out neatly had refreshed her memory about the things she was writing down. I think the notes are for her to refer back to all year as well so it's probably more helpful to have them written out like they are so they can be easily referred back to.
foursisters
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by foursisters »

Does anyone know the name of the vlog where they first mention Chad going to a private school? Not a religious watcher and don't want to give them all these views sifting through the last month of vlogs to find it ;)
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Caisflame »

I'm a little surprised at all the food Shari is keeping in her locker. When I was in HS we were allowed to keep our lunch (if we didn't buy school lunch) and one small snack in our lockers that had to be gone by the end of the day. They did this to prevent ants and other bugs. But honestly, if their lunches are anything like the weak lunches coming from our public schools lately, I can't blame them for needing snacks.
eloise92
Talker
Talker

Unread post by eloise92 »

ujvs_ wrote:It was nice to hear Ruby say she won't force any of her kids to do 'seminary'
I'm fairly sure she meant 'optional' as in not a set class run by the school such as maths.
They are sending Chad to an LDS school where scripture is part of his timetable so I'm pretty sure all the kids will be expected to do seminary and later, missions!
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

eloise92 wrote:
ujvs_ wrote:It was nice to hear Ruby say she won't force any of her kids to do 'seminary'
I'm fairly sure she meant 'optional' as in not a set class run by the school such as maths.
They are sending Chad to an LDS school where scripture is part of his timetable so I'm pretty sure all the kids will be expected to do seminary and later, missions!
Is Chad's private school an LDS school?
I was hoping to be an actually really good school!
navarjul000
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by navarjul000 »

lmmomSD wrote:Is their seminary before school? Because the one at my best friend's ward was at 6:30 am. I went because it was interesting, I enjoyed having spirited discussions with the leader, who despite not wanting my best friend to date black guys, was very nice. Anyway, if it is at 6:30am, I can understand Ruby saying she wasn't going to force the other kids to go.
My favorite was the argument about whether or not Jesus drank wine. I had fun bringing in facts from my Bible scholar father and seeing what their teacher came up with. I think it really bummed him out that I went to Seminary every day and he never managed to convert me.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
In Utah, while I was in high school a few years ago, seminary could be taken before school, but was usually integrated as an optional "release time" during regular school hours. You could go during 1st period, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc. I have heard in other states it's only offered before or after school, which I think is much better than integrating it into the regular class schedule.

Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

I don't think Ruby is delaying the videos for their safety. Kevin has been gone multiple times before and she announced it, never delaying any videos. She's using it as an excuse for being behind. I'm really getting annoyed at all these old videos, I won't watch much longer if she doesn't catch up. I don't buy her excuse one bit.
snkjdgs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snkjdgs »

Is Chad's new school all boys?
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

snkjdgs wrote:Is Chad's new school all boys?
For a brief second when they enter the school you can see a girl in uniform holding the door
sasperillo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by sasperillo »

Caisflame wrote:I don't think Ruby is delaying the videos for their safety. Kevin has been gone multiple times before and she announced it, never delaying any videos. She's using it as an excuse for being behind. I'm really getting annoyed at all these old videos, I won't watch much longer if she doesn't catch up. I don't buy her excuse one bit.
She said that they got behind on accident and that she turned out to like it better that way, in part because she doesn't feel as worried about broadcasting to a million people that she's home alone. She also said that it gives her more freedom to skip days if she needs it. It's not an excuse, it's an explanation and she was very candid and straight forward about her reasons. It's easier and it feels better. I completely agree and understand (I also don't watch their vids often so I don't care). There is nowhere in the youtube contract where it says vloggers have to upload the following day- she's doing it for the money (they all are) and she's still getting plenty of views. Most of her audience are kids who don't care either way so why wouldn't she do what works best for them? This is quite different than vloggers like OKbaby who say they will post the next day and then just don't and lie about the reasons ("quality over quantity", "internet is slow", "we've been working all night" , "accidentally deleted footage" etc).
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

sasperillo wrote:
Caisflame wrote:I don't think Ruby is delaying the videos for their safety. Kevin has been gone multiple times before and she announced it, never delaying any videos. She's using it as an excuse for being behind. I'm really getting annoyed at all these old videos, I won't watch much longer if she doesn't catch up. I don't buy her excuse one bit.
She said that they got behind on accident and that she turned out to like it better that way, in part because she doesn't feel as worried about broadcasting to a million people that she's home alone. She also said that it gives her more freedom to skip days if she needs it. It's not an excuse, it's an explanation and she was very candid and straight forward about her reasons. It's easier and it feels better. I completely agree and understand (I also don't watch their vids often so I don't care). There is nowhere in the youtube contract where it says vloggers have to upload the following day- she's doing it for the money (they all are) and she's still getting plenty of views. Most of her audience are kids who don't care either way so why wouldn't she do what works best for them? This is quite different than vloggers like OKbaby who say they will post the next day and then just don't and lie about the reasons ("quality over quantity", "internet is slow", "we've been working all night" , "accidentally deleted footage" etc).
I wholeheartedly disagree, especially since there are many comments coming from her audience of children saying they don't like it. It's just pure laziness. Their schedule worked just fine for them the past 2 years until she got behind. Either catch up or forget the old vlogs and get back on a timely schedule. Like I said, I don't buy her excuses. Ruby is manipulative, but she can't fool me.
Caisflame
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

With Russell not starting school the same day as the girls, that leads me to believe he goes to a different school than them. I expected them to go to the same elementary school. That makes 4 different schools between the kids, not including wherever Eve will go twice a week. That's gotta be kinda tough..and I'm sure we'll hear about it all school year long from Ruby.
bongtu
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by bongtu »

Actually I'm pretty sure the older kids start school a day before the younger ones do so Russell may start in tomorrow's vlog
whatsbeyond
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by whatsbeyond »

At my kids school, kindergarten does a staggered entry. The first full day is about a week after all the other grades actually start. And why did she buy an nice expensive rug for under the kitchen table, the same table small, messy children eat at? Yes Ruby. It's going to be covered in food...all the time. Carpets/rugs in kitchens are pointless. You'll be vaccuuming at least twice a day. One more chore for those kids to fullfill.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
ForeverGauc01
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ForeverGauc01 »

Wow these last 3 vlogs have been pretty nice. Again, no real huge staging, just them being a family. I like it. Ruby is obviously still scatter brained but it's whatever now. I hope they keeps this up.
As for their schedule, it's annoying knowing they're a full week behind. I can understand a few days but a week is just lazy.

Return to “8 Passengers”