8 Passengers: Extreme Cheapskate Edition | Part Two

calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers: Extreme Cheapskate Edition | Part Two

Unread post by calliepaige »

Kryptonite wrote:
calliepaige84 wrote:And Ruby's comment about she better study hard now because of the desk. I feel horrible for Shari... I feel like she gets left out a lot and a lot of the responsibilities in the house are left to her. I know she is a sweet kid but I sure wouldn't want to be sharing a bed with my toddler sister either. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree. I have no problem with a parent expecting a child who earns their own money to pay for at least half of something they want. However, a desk is currently a necessity for Shari as she has no other place to work. If they were willing to front the money for a basic desk but Shari wanted a more "sophisticated" looking desk I personally would put up the amount of money I'd planned to spend and then expect her to cover the difference.

I wouldn't side-eye the desk purchase so much if Shari wasn't expected to take care of most of the house, parent Eve, had her own space, had more than six clothing items, had privacy, had a life outside of her own home and camps, etc.

At her age, a child should have responsibilities but she should not have almost as many responsibilities as an adult. I am not someone who thinks a child shouldn't do anything but I don't understand why Ruby is so overwhelmed when her children do almost everything for her. It reminds me of the Duggars. Have 12 children but make the oldest take care of them.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

kiwimumof-5
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by kiwimumof-5 »

Kryptonite wrote:
calliepaige84 wrote:And Ruby's comment about she better study hard now because of the desk. I feel horrible for Shari... I feel like she gets left out a lot and a lot of the responsibilities in the house are left to her. I know she is a sweet kid but I sure wouldn't want to be sharing a bed with my toddler sister either. ImageImage

I agree. I have no problem with a parent expecting a child who earns their own money to pay for at least half of something they want. However, a desk is currently a necessity for Shari as she has no other place to work. If they were willing to front the money for a basic desk but Shari wanted a more "sophisticated" looking desk I personally would put up the amount of money I'd planned to spend and then expect her to cover the difference.

I wouldn't side-eye the desk purchase so much if Shari wasn't expected to take care of most of the house, parent Eve, had her own space, had more than six clothing items, had privacy, had a life outside of her own home and camps, etc.

At her age, a child should have responsibilities but she should not have almost as many responsibilities as an adult. I am not someone who thinks a child shouldn't do anything but I don't understand why Ruby is so overwhelmed when her children do almost everything for her. It reminds me of the Duggars. Have 12 children but make the oldest take care of them.
I agree.
My eldest is 14, my youngest is one and occasionally I ask her to hold the baby or distract the middle three for a moment but otherwise I expect her to be a kid (or a teen *gulp*) people always say at least C can look after them while you go out/ nap/ have a break etc...um no? I decided to have 100 kids, she didnt.
And I know diff strokes and all but I cant imagine a teen wanting to share with a toddler, was it "share with Eve and we will make your room look like its just yours ...or continue sharing with Abby and Julie, which do you want?

As for the desk, i think its a need, not a luxury and Ruby should have paid for it or at the very least, gone halves.

Also when does school go back? Seems they've been going back to school for months

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

I agree, I think it's ridiculous shari had to buy her own desk. It blows my mind that she makes such a big deal out of buying the most basic things for her kids. Not buying Shari a desk when she is clearly a very academic type of kid and she needs a nice space to do her homework. Telling Russell he could only have a jacket OR a hoody, when he's a 5 year old boy and definitely needs both. Only buying 3 outfits for her kids.
She acts like mother of the year but I wouldn't want her to be my mother.

Waking up at 6 am when on summer break to do chores? Pass.

calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

It just boggles my mind they can spend so much money on diff things, the harp, etc
Which I get.... But why aren't they allowed more then like 6 shirts?

I know those kids are loved but I just want to hug Shari lol

calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Forgot to add... Being a teenager is hard enough... Let alone doing so much around the house and having so many responsibilities

Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Shari has too much responsibility. Ruby needs to let her live a little and be a teen.
alexandriablue
Talker
Talker

Unread post by alexandriablue »

I love how Ruby was talking about the importance of education in her family but then she only goes on to mention men who have gone onto higher education...
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Buy ALL the things!!!! My monthly budget is gone for a desk or chair for chad but I will spend a crap lot of money on stuff for Russell.

marjg
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by marjg »

alexandriablue wrote:I love how Ruby was talking about the importance of education in her family but then she only goes on to mention men who have gone onto higher education...
I was here to mention the same thing. I had to laugh when she was talking about how education is so important to her family and that her dad told her to seek a higher education... Yet none of the girls has a good degree. well Julie does :)

phie20
Informer
Informer

Unread post by phie20 »

alexandriablue wrote:I love how Ruby was talking about the importance of education in her family but then she only goes on to mention men who have gone onto higher education...
I was about to say the same thing... I hope Shari finds her way out.
To me it feels like a threat that Ruby decided to homeschool one kids each year from now on. That sounds like a nightmare.
liz749
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by liz749 »

phie20 wrote:
I was about to say the same thing... I hope Shari finds her way out.
To me it feels like a threat that Ruby decided to homeschool one kids each year from now on. That sounds like a nightmare.
Shari mouthing "no" when Ruby was saying that cracked me up! She's old enough to have her own opinion and choice but the other kids will be forced in to it. I feel it would be very detrimental social wise to just skip out on a year of school! Like who wants to sit at home with mom and Eve all day. Ruby should Spend the next year focusing on Eve and correcting her behavior before she gets in to school before worrying about homeschooling another kid who is doing perfectly fine in school. At least Russell is getting his year out of the way early on. I hope Abby at least is able to put her foot down and say no. Will she be in fourth grade this year? And her little thing about how this will give her time to get to know each child because that's hard in a big family. Umm maybe you shouldn't have had so many children if you feel the need to keep them home a whole year just to get to know them better. The homeschooling is to benefit herself, not the children.

nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

I feel as if she is homeschooling just so she can get the homeschooling demographic to watch her channel. More views= more money.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

Shari at the beginning looked like she was held captive.

1. She is not spending money on necessities for her own children she chose to have!
2. She would rather do giveaways!
3. Education is important but she went to college to find a husband! When a lot of people do no have the opportunity even if they actually are smart/academic.
4. Homeschooling a kid every year "to get to know each other better" is not a reason at all. Use some statistics/research that shows that homeschooled children do better, but she's just a woman she can't look into that.

1+2+3+4= She is so full of shit!
I only watched 2 minutes and already got sick from the stench.
LydiaE
Informer
Informer

Unread post by LydiaE »

I feel safe that some of Ruby's kids will do well in life simply due to Kevin's influence. He is intelligent and obviously pro-higher education and has taken the kids on educational trips and outings.

Shari seems studious and Chad, as the oldest male, will be encouraged to make something of himself. It's too soon to wager how Abby and Julie will fair, but at least Abby has her harp playing to use as a ticket towards college.

Russell and Eve, on the other hand, seemed almost doomed. I don't know if it's because Ruby babies and controls them so much, but they both seem incapable of functioning normally even at their young ages.
alexmorgan
Informer
Informer

Unread post by alexmorgan »

I live in a Country where you are not allowed to homeschool your Children so i guess my view of it is a bit different anyway but seriously, "Im gonna learn with Russel"?? There is a reason you have to go to university in order to become a Teacher. Even if homeschooling is allowed in the US, shouldnt the person doing it be..informed about what she/he is teaching? :? Russel is young, which doesnt make it any better, but with the older Kids its even worse..
"So how does Algebra work Mom?" "Wait,whats that? Where do you speak that Language ?...Never mind, you are a Girl. We are just gonna skip it" (RE the higher education comment :x :P )
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

alexmorgan wrote:I live in a Country where you are not allowed to homeschool your Children so i guess my view of it is a bit different anyway but seriously, "Im gonna learn with Russel"?? There is a reason you have to go to university in order to become a Teacher. Even if homeschooling is allowed in the US, shouldnt the person doing it be..informed about what she/he is teaching? :? Russel is young, which doesnt make it any better, but with the older Kids its even worse..
"So how does Algebra work Mom?" "Wait,whats that? Where do you speak that Language ?...Never mind, you are a Girl. We are just gonna skip it" (RE the higher education comment :x :P )
She clearly has no idea what to do.
The main focus is reading, maths, scripture and maybe a bit of geography. Can't be bothered to look at her videos to see.

But when you read a book you are supposed to ask your child what it meant, did the main character do the right thing, analyse and discuss etc... Not just: Did you like it?
Shari loves Germany. Does she learn German in school? Why not hire a private tutor for her? She might want to do her mission in Germany. Chad is 11 and it doesn't look like she did any foreign languages with him.

Not to mention "science", lol. All they need is in the Bible, not need for thinking just fallow what is written.
yoyo16
Informer
Informer

Unread post by yoyo16 »

Kryptonite wrote:I'm starting a campaign. Please don't waste your money on the upcoming presidential election. Instead, contribute to #SaveShari2016.

Sent from my 0PM92 using Tapatalk
ImageImageImage thanks for giving me a good laugh!
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

Recently, I have found a couple of Shari's behavior bratty but then I think about myself at 13 and shari is actually an angel. She's 13, already working. I knew a few 13 year olds who worked, but it was to learn about working or buy special items, not to spend it on a desk/necessities. She has to share a bed with not the easiest child. And Shari is better to eve than their own mother. Also it's pretty unfair of ruby to say, pay for your own desk and have Eve share it with you.

Also, she is so money cautious, but she spends all this money for home schooling :?. She can send them to school and get a free education. I agree with whomever said it's for views.
missparzival
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by missparzival »

Abby pulled a weird face when Ruby said she will keep a child home each year aswell. So hopefully she gets a say. Not one child looked excited when she said they all were.

kingoflove21vher
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by kingoflove21vher »

Vincere wrote: Shari loves Germany. Does she learn German in school? Why not hire a private tutor for her? She might want to do her mission in Germany.
You don't get to choose where you do your mission, the church hierarchy assigns where you go. It's a "mission call" from God aka where the old men in charge of the church decide. Sure, if she knew German it might help but it seems the majority of missionaries get sent to Latin America since there's a high success rate and turnover there for converts last I knew.

"I suppose the story of my life is a search for love, but more than that, I have been looking for a way to repair myself from the damages I suffered early on ..."

Return to “8 Passengers”