• Advertisement

E+J: The Lessons of Karma - Part # 31

Re: E+J: The Lessons of Karma - Part # 31

Postby canmom2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:48 am

nutbagmcgee wrote:Right now Bonnie and Joel are at $24,000+ a month with no network.
E and J are at 17,000 a month with a network taking 30% of that.

They are going to go broke. They won’t be able to maintain their lifestyle much longer.

Thats still way more than an average family makes and they get everything for free. We are all pretty sure the cruise was free. They kinda said the van was free. All the trips for meetings could be written off in taxes. They really dont eat out that often they are living the high and mighty lifestyle but it is pretty well all free. They never said it but their last disney trip was probably a freebie. They generally stay in regular hotels . This time they stayed on site. They did nention parksaver website a few times so it was probably got lightup shoes at parksaver. The carebear was business so that trip would of been paid. The only one that was probably there own money was the north carolina trip and that was divided among the familyso not as bad as it seems.
canmom2
Informer

Advertisement

Postby Pency » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:35 am

canmom2 wrote:
nutbagmcgee wrote:Right now Bonnie and Joel are at $24,000+ a month with no network.

They are going to go broke. They won’t be able to maintain their lifestyle much longer.

Thats still way more than an average family makes and they get everything for free. We are all pretty sure the cruise was free. They kinda said the van was free. All the trips for meetings could be written off in taxes. They really dont eat out that often they are living the high and mighty lifestyle but it is pretty well all free. They never said it but their last disney trip was probably a freebie. They generally stay in regular hotels . This time they stayed on site. They did nention parksaver website a few times so it was probably got lightup shoes at parksaver. The carebear was business so that trip would of been paid. The only one that was probably there own money was the north carolina trip and that was divided among the familyso not as bad as it seems.

Ehhh, if they are making $17k a month, take out $5 grand for the network, about $4k for taxes, who knows what their mortgage is but I'm betting it's about $1500/month, then health insurance premiums, utilities, food, etc. They get *extras* for free, but nobody is paying their mortgage or bills.

Still enough to maintain a comfortable lifestyle but by no means raking it in, and with a downward trend on views....eek.
Pency
Gossiper

Postby FakingIt_MakingIt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 am

canmom2 wrote:

Sure its more then the average family, BUT its not enough for the life theyre living now.
Writing things off on taxes doesnt mean you dont pay for them, you just get to use the expense against your income to reduce amount youre taxed on, you still have to pay for those expenses to "write them off".

Theyre living a life that can't be maintained without BIG money. And when youtube is done and theyre not popular anymore there isnt a job that Jared could do to bring in that much money. I hope they have a padded savings account, but with the house and all the shopping, and paying people on their payroll, I really doubt they have much left.
FakingIt_MakingIt
True Gossiper

Postby HelloSweetie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 am

The argument that everything is free drives me crazy. You Tubers upgrade their lifestyles and spend a lot more money. No, that won't be sustainable post-YT unless they are saving EVERYTHING. They are too young to retire, and Jared will have no hope of even making a 6 figure job.

Write offs aren't free. Its a discount. They bought an expensive house and outed a ridiculous amount of money into designer furniture and landscaping. They purchased the 4 wheeler and trailer, the travel trailer and are planning on buying a new SUV. All that wasn't free. They also need to carry insurance on them all. The more toys you have, the more storage insurance you need. Plus Ellie shops A LOT. She has at least two cooler bags that were $300, and a face regime and Lush habit thgat are a few hundreds a month. They designed that house and grew accustomed to a lifestyle with $80k a month only a year ago. Let's not forget the 9% for tithing and this is all assuming they write everything off and don't have to pay any tax.

Where is the money for the boys University or missions? Where is the savings for heir daughter's wedding? How about retirement? I know they can't be saving for these things because we gross more than they are projected and more than half our income goes to long-term savings so our lifestyle can continue into retirement. $200K a year may seem like a ton of money, but if you are spending it on frivolous things it goes fast. E&J are going to put themselves in the same position Jared's parents were in.

Numbers don't lie. Let's say YT had another good 10 years of income before they need to move on. Let's also be generous and say they have saved up $100k in emergency savings, and that Jared will find a job that pays $80K a year. For E&J to keep their house and current lifestyle, they would need to have $5.8 M saved in the next 10 years. This will give them enough to continue to top up their income to its current standards so they don't experience a fall. Any way you look at it, their money won't last long-term and they aren't making enough to save the large amounts they would need to in order to maintain.

For comparison, look at Ruby and Bonnie. They haven't upgraded largely, and must be saving a lot for the future. Kevin has kept his job and continues to bring in a 6 figure income on his own, and Joel will undoubtedly start a business with the money saved. Their homes are also likely paid off, and if not it's only because it was wiser to invest the money elsewhere.

Bottom line is that E&J may get a lot of freebies, but the lifestyle Ellie has grown accustomed to just isn't sustainable with their current channel numbers.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

Postby Playsinrain » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 am

The ice palace, all the furnishings, the rock quarry mini golf course, the huge ass hot tub, the camper, a new car they are about to buy, Ellie's room full of online shopping crap, Tiffany's jewelry... All of that still has to be paid for. A free trip here and there isn't having their bills paid. And someone else also said it, all the utilities etc.. none of that is being comped. they might be paying the bills now, but with the downward trend, adding a new baby (if and when that happens) along with those medical bills, they won't be able to keep up long. At this rate they will be selling the ice palace and downsizing in the next 5 years.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper

Postby HelloSweetie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:05 am

Playsinrain wrote:The ice palace, all the furnishings, the rock quarry mini golf course, the huge ass hot tub, the camper, a new car they are about to buy, Ellie's room full of online shopping crap, Tiffany's jewelry... All of that still has to be paid for. A free trip here and there isn't having their bills paid. And someone else also said it, all the utilities etc.. none of that is being comped. they might be paying the bills now, but with the downward trend, adding a new baby (if and when that happens) along with those medical bills, they won't be able to keep up long. At this rate they will be selling the ice palace and downsizing in the next 5 years.

I forgot about the hot tub!

Plus one thing people don't often consider is how much more expensive children get as they become older and enter activities. People think babies are cheap because they already have all the baby stuff (even though Ellie just buys new cribs again anyway) and breast milk is free, but kids are way more expensive as they get older. More food, clothing, school costs, activities, hobbies, toys, healthcare costs, braces, etc. More kids also equal more missions and weddings.

I don't think anyone is even considering the vacations they take when they suggest E&J are spending too much money.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

Postby nutbagmcgee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 am

They definitely aren’t following Dave Ramsey anymore. Remember when they were serious about it?

I’m pretty sure Bonnie still does. She has said before they would get Joel a truck when other steps had been completed and they were close.
nutbagmcgee
Guru Gossiper

Postby natalka81 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am

I'm definitely not doubting you but I'm just wondering how you know this. The only site I'm familiar with is social blade and the range is so big that I can never really get a sense of how much people are actually making.
natalka81
Gossiper

Postby nutbagmcgee » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:43 am

natalka81 wrote:

I'm definitely not doubting you but I'm just wondering how you know this. The only site I'm familiar with is social blade and the range is so big that I can never really get a sense of how much people are actually making.

I use Vid IQ, its an extension for Chrome.
nutbagmcgee
Guru Gossiper

Postby HelloSweetie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:46 am

nutbagmcgee wrote:
natalka81 wrote:

I use Vid IQ, its an extension for Chrome.

Vloggers that post here have said it's far more accurate.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

Postby calliepaige84 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:57 am

I know we have discussed this up and down before but it just makes me roll my eyes how they said they would still have this house/life style even without Youtube. No, no you wouldn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calliepaige84
Gossiper

Postby FakingIt_MakingIt » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:59 am

calliepaige84 wrote:I know we have discussed this up and down before but it just makes me roll my eyes how they said they would still have this house/life style even without Youtube. No, no you wouldn’t.

I would LOVE for them to say what career Jared would have that could provide this lifestyle without youtube.
FakingIt_MakingIt
True Gossiper

Postby Playsinrain » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:04 am

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:
calliepaige84 wrote:I know we have discussed this up and down before but it just makes me roll my eyes how they said they would still have this house/life style even without Youtube. No, no you wouldn’t.

I would LOVE for them to say what career Jared would have that could provide this lifestyle without youtube.

He was going to school for PT right? But something happened and he gave up on that and started selling cellphones. Just out of curiosity, even if he had become a PT, would he be making enough to live like they are? I'm guessing no. Plus we all know that Ellie would not still be doing hair with two kids, plus she wasn't quite Vidal Sassoon status...
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper

Postby Shorty02 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:15 am

So, when Ellie isn't feeling well she gets to stay in bed all day, but when the kids don't feel well she pushes them to get up and do things and shoves a camera in their face. Nice.

Sweet Jackson seemed sleepy and irritable the entire vlog. She should have just let him rest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Shorty02
Informer

Postby canmom2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:23 am

I would say they are running their household as a business so they can claim electricity and other bills. Their house is their office. All the gas and miles on the van for business trips hotels for business trips. Their donations (church and Ivf grant) all claimed on taxes. They didn't buy the van and doubt they are buying the 4WD. They have done several commercials. Jackson has done a carpet one. They can claim so much on their taxes i doubt they are paying any taxes. They are certainly living an extravagent lifestyle but I don't think they feel any pinch. When we saw them different a few months ago and most thought they were fighting over money as time went on I think they were fighting over Penny. You know Jared didn't want her at that trainer and it is around that time I noticed they fell distant to Jareds parents.
canmom2
Informer

Postby HelloSweetie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:30 am

canmom2 wrote:I would say they are running their household as a business so they can claim electricity and other bills. Their house is their office. All the gas and miles on the van for business trips hotels for business trips. Their donations (church and Ivf grant) all claimed on taxes. They didn't buy the van and doubt they are buying the 4WD. They have done several commercials. Jackson has done a carpet one. They can claim so much on their taxes i doubt they are paying any taxes. They are certainly living an extravagent lifestyle but I don't think they feel any pinch. When we saw them different a few months ago and most thought they were fighting over money as time went on I think they were fighting over Penny. You know Jared didn't want her at that trainer and it is around that time I noticed they fell distant to Jareds parents.

Do you know how tax deductions work?

Even if they didn't spend a penny and saved everything they had, they won't be able to maintain their current lifestyle post YT. It's just not possible to save more than you earn in a month.

And I suppose the hundreds they have spent in trainers fees was also somehow free or deducted? If so, they better hope the IRS doesn't audit them.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

Postby formerctfxcer » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 am

Playsinrain wrote:
FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:

He was going to school for PT right? But something happened and he gave up on that and started selling cellphones. Just out of curiosity, even if he had become a PT, would he be making enough to live like they are? I'm guessing no. Plus we all know that Ellie would not still be doing hair with two kids, plus she wasn't quite Vidal Sassoon status...

He got his BS but he was never accepted into a PT program. So he had to get a job at Verizon instead.

formerctfxcer
Gossiper

Postby IceCreamCone » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:35 am

HelloSweetie wrote:
canmom2 wrote:I would say they are running their household as a business so they can claim electricity and other bills. Their house is their office. All the gas and miles on the van for business trips hotels for business trips. Their donations (church and Ivf grant) all claimed on taxes. They didn't buy the van and doubt they are buying the 4WD. They have done several commercials. Jackson has done a carpet one. They can claim so much on their taxes i doubt they are paying any taxes. They are certainly living an extravagent lifestyle but I don't think they feel any pinch. When we saw them different a few months ago and most thought they were fighting over money as time went on I think they were fighting over Penny. You know Jared didn't want her at that trainer and it is around that time I noticed they fell distant to Jareds parents.

Even if they didn't spend a penny and saved everything they had, they won't be able to maintain their current lifestyle post YT. It's just not possible to save more than you earn in a month.

And I suppose the hundreds they have spent in trainers fees was also somehow free or deducted? If so, they better hope the IRS doesn't audit them.

Most people on these boards don't know how they work. A tax deduction doesn't make something free. It doesn't offset the cost. They are living way outside their means... at a slight discount.
IceCreamCone
Talker

Postby canmom2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:50 am

HelloSweetie wrote:

Do you mean dog trainers. I dont think they paid a cent they advertised that place for 1/2 vlog.
I really dont think they are spending as much money as you think. I doubt they are buying the 4WD . Ellie talked about the cooler bags forever sure they were free or well discounted. Same as LUSH she talks about that more than Jared talked of the van pretty sure she gets a good discount if not free. Do you think they ever pay for hello fresh?
Yes i understand taxes I work in the tax Dept. Do you? Small business are pretty lucky when it comes to tax deductions.
canmom2
Informer

Postby onbreak » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:51 am

formerctfxcer wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:
FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:[quote="calliepaige84"]I know we have discussed this up and down before but it just makes me roll my eyes how they said they would still have this house/life style even without Youtube. No, no you wouldn’t.

He got his BS but he was never accepted into a PT program. So he had to get a job at Verizon instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]Sux how there's only 1 PT program in the whole country

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
onbreak
True Gossiper

Postby HelloSweetie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:04 am

canmom2 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:

Do you mean dog trainers. I dont think they paid a cent they advertised that place for 1/2 vlog.
I really dont think they are spending as much money as you think. I doubt they are buying the 4WD . Ellie talked about the cooler bags forever sure they were free or well discounted. Same as LUSH she talks about that more than Jared talked of the van pretty sure she gets a good discount if not free. Do you think they ever pay for hello fresh?
Yes i understand taxes I work in the tax Dept. Do you? Small business are pretty lucky when it comes to tax deductions.

Then I guess they are set for life as long as the freebies last forever.

Too bad they won't. They will dry up as the channel loses steam.

And no, I'm not in the tax dept and I doubt you are too given what you've said. Regardless, I do know how far that amount of income will and won't get you in a month, and how much needs to be saved for retirement and children's futures. I'm also familiar with business deductions as my husband owns his own business too, and we have a financial advisor and accountant. If you think they are set for the future, you're naive. And all the things you're stating they featured in vlogs should have been declared or those vlogs demonetized.

You can continue to argue with someone else now because I'm done.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

Postby Pency » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:30 am

YOU would say that, but the IRS would not. In order to deduct all the living expenses you outlined above, they would have to use their entire home regularly AND exclusively for their business, the IRS indicates that the use must be regular and exclusive. My guess is that they can deduct Jared's office and that's it. Maybe Ellie's "filming room", but if they are claiming that, they are lying.
Pency
Gossiper

Postby canmom2 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 am

Pency wrote:

YOU would say that, but the IRS would not. In order to deduct all the living expenses you outlined above, they would have to use their entire home regularly AND exclusively for their business, the IRS indicates that the use must be regular and exclusive. My guess is that they can deduct Jared's office and that's it. Maybe Ellie's "filming room", but if they are claiming that, they are lying.

They film all the rooms kitchen LR basement Masterbathroom bedrooms kids bedroom ocassionally garage backyard . This is their job. I never said they were set for life i said just they have more disposable income monthly than you guys let on.
HS if your husband owns a business and isn't getting a ton of deductions time to find a new accountant. All those things i listed are deductible and even if they don't allow the whole house as a business it is more than Jareds office. They go to vlogger fair airfare, hotel, prizes given out all deductible. The IVF grant and church tithing deductible and any other donations they have. Gas driving to SLC for meetings deductible. It's not hard to figure out. I doubt at the end of the year they actually pay very little in taxes after all the deductions.
canmom2
Informer

Postby HelloSweetie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:49 am

^^^^ he gets plenty of deductions, but he's also smart enough to realize that it's cheaper to not spend frivolously just for a deduction.

A lifestyle like B&J's is definitely more responsible for the income they make.

To pay little in taxes after that many deductions, they would have to spend a TON of money. Thus proving the argument that they are spending too much and saving too little.
HelloSweetie
Guru Gossiper

Postby Pency » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:52 am

canmom2 wrote:They film all the rooms kitchen LR basement Masterbathroom bedrooms kids bedroom ocassionally garage backyard . This is their job. I never said they were set for life i said just they have more disposable income monthly than you guys let on.
HS if your husband owns a business and isn't getting a ton of deductions time to find a new accountant. All those things i listed are deductible and even if they don't allow the whole house as a business it is more than Jareds office. They go to vlogger fair airfare, hotel, prizes given out all deductible. The IVF grant and church tithing deductible and any other donations they have. Gas driving to SLC for meetings deductible. It's not hard to figure out. I doubt at the end of the year they actually pay very little in taxes after all the deductions.

...they also sleep in those rooms, live in those rooms, cook in those rooms and use them as storage? What part of "exclusive" do you NOT understand?

As far as travel expenses: $0.50/on the mile and 50% of all meals related to EXCLUSIVELY business travel only - not vacations. I'm an accountant, and before you go around spouting tax knowledge maybe do some research.
Pency
Gossiper

PreviousNext

Return to Ellie and Jared