8 Remodeled Passengers | Part 6

strawberry_smoothie
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 Remodeled Passengers | Part 6

Unread post by strawberry_smoothie »

"Look at Daddy. Daddy didn't have a 4.0 when he graduated, he had a 3.9 or something... (comforting, Ruby). And look at Mommy, Mommy didn't even graduate high school and look where I am now?!"

... I jest, but pretty close...
timmytommy
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by timmytommy »

chatty wrote:In what world is an A- something to cry over? I am genuinely baffled. I don’t understand GPA’s because I’m not from the US but you’re telling me that an A- in one test could affect her future at college? What?

Also I felt uncomfortable watching that family meeting about rules. I feel like the kids don’t take things as seriously when the camera is on.

Chad seems genuinely unhappy at the moment. I sort of understand where Ruby is coming from because his ‘bad’ attitude is palpable (even just from watching snippets of him in vlogs it’s very evident) BUT I was also a moody teenager myself back in the day so I equally feel for Chad. It must be hard changing schools at that age, having your life thrust online and criticised, having Ruby’s persona around all the time. Hopefully it’s just a teenage funk and he’ll get out of it soon.

Noted that Julie sat politely at the meeting and didn’t cause a fuss!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am not a fan of Chad's, but I understand what you are saying and agree. As a teenager, being vlogged all the time would be so irritating and an invasion of space. I can't imagine my teenage years being captured on camera and shown to 1M viewers without much consent from me. I think there is going to be a whole generation of children who were vlogged that will be coming into their adult years with major issues. There has to be psychological damage to the family from all this vlogging.
jess595
Talker
Talker

Unread post by jess595 »

chatty wrote:In what world is an A- something to cry over? I am genuinely baffled. I don’t understand GPA’s because I’m not from the US but you’re telling me that an A- in one test could affect her future at college? What?

Also I felt uncomfortable watching that family meeting about rules. I feel like the kids don’t take things as seriously when the camera is on.

Chad seems genuinely unhappy at the moment. I sort of understand where Ruby is coming from because his ‘bad’ attitude is palpable (even just from watching snippets of him in vlogs it’s very evident) BUT I was also a moody teenager myself back in the day so I equally feel for Chad. It must be hard changing schools at that age, having your life thrust online and criticised, having Ruby’s persona around all the time. Hopefully it’s just a teenage funk and he’ll get out of it soon.

One A- will pull it down to 3.92 (using an online calculator), and most Ivy Leagues in the US seem to want 3.9+, so I can see why it would upset her. But if she can show improvement (from an A- in freshman year, to A+ in senior), she should be okay. I think it's just her sense of perfectionism - like Ruby said, Shari sees 'failure' as an A-.
strawberry_smoothie
Talker
Talker

Unread post by strawberry_smoothie »

I'm Canadian so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that BYU is definitely not an Ivy League School and Shari has said before that that's where she hopes to do her undergrad. So, I don't see the problem.
jess595
Talker
Talker

Unread post by jess595 »

strawberry_smoothie wrote:I'm Canadian so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that BYU is definitely not an Ivy League School and Shari has said before that that's where she hopes to do her undergrad. So, I don't see the problem.
NYU isn't an Ivy League, I completely forgot she wanted to go there haha, I thought if she was that upset she would be aiming for Ivy Leagues. Maybe she wants to do as well as possible to maximise her chances of getting in? Or maybe her high school is really high pressured so she wants to do as well as everyone else there?

ETA: NYU's average is 3.7, so maybe it's because she knows she has a couple of classes next term/in the next couple of years which she isn't as good at, so she wants to get as many A's and A+'s as possible to keep that buffer for a class she is bad in?
shortstop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by shortstop »

I would be very proud of an A- I SUCK at math. Isn't this the girl that was upset because they wouldn't let her in a higher math class??
Those consequences are really weird and didn't understand most of them. Why don't they do a reasonable chore chart??
Some kids just have a harder time listening which they will be the ones always having to do conquer every cleaning.
You can't go from being a hard *ss parent. To getting away with everything. To going back to being a hard *ss parent. So confusing.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

jess595 wrote:
strawberry_smoothie wrote:I'm Canadian so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that BYU is definitely not an Ivy League School and Shari has said before that that's where she hopes to do her undergrad. So, I don't see the problem.
NYU isn't an Ivy League, I completely forgot she wanted to go there haha, I thought if she was that upset she would be aiming for Ivy Leagues. Maybe she wants to do as well as possible to maximise her chances of getting in? Or maybe her high school is really high pressured so she wants to do as well as everyone else there?

ETA: NYU's average is 3.7, so maybe it's because she knows she has a couple of classes next term/in the next couple of years which she isn't as good at, so she wants to get as many A's and A+'s as possible to keep that buffer for a class she is bad in?
Not NYU, BYU. Brigham Young University. Shari will get in. She's legacy, her father works there, and she's Mormon. It's incredibly unhealthy to obsess so much over grades. Perfectionism leads to all sorts of bad things, including potentially cheating to artificially inflate grades. It's also bad to base your self-esteem on something external like a test grade instead of the amount of effort that was put into it or just being a good person. I really hope no one is encouraging Shari to be perfect. I had a friend growing up whose mother would not accept anything but A+'s from her, and she was always stressed and then became very un-motivated in college and actually ended up losing her scholarship because her grades dropped. I also had good grades (not as good, but all A's and B's) and was intrinsically motivated and did really well in college because I wanted to do it for myself, not for someone else.
sasperillo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by sasperillo »

Last I heard Shari wanted to go to BYU for undergrad and NYU for law school. BYU isn't really competitive and law schools don't care too much about your high school GPA. Shari is overwhelmed because she's used to being at the top of her class and now she's not. Everyone feeds into this image of Shari as perfect and her self image is truly dependent on it. it is important to be challenged, but without being the perfect student Shari doesn't have much to rely on. She left piano behind. No longer does softball, is probably having a hard time maintaining her close girl friends due to being snotty and changing schools. And at home she never gets to be babied because she's seen as an adult with responsibility (which leads to being snotty). It's a hard spot to be in at such a vulnerable age but maybe it will help her grow and knock her down a notch.

As per Chad, poor kid. He just wants to be a teenage boy and not be constantly embarrassed publicly. He also seems to be the one who is more in touch with the real world through the internet and maybe the people he talks to while online gaming.

Finally Russell once again completely missed the mark of what is appropriate behavior during his "say 3 nice things" punishment. He needed to be redirected. That punishment is no good if everyone takes it as a joke.
Lauralou_15
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Lauralou_15 »

The punishment for most of the bad behaviours is they have to clean the basement. The kids disagreed with the no friends consequence so they chose a different one....what’s the point in punishment if you’ve allowed the kids to choose how they are punished!!
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

fossilfinger wrote:
jess595 wrote:

Not NYU, BYU. Brigham Young University. Shari will get in. She's legacy, her father works there, and she's Mormon. It's incredibly unhealthy to obsess so much over grades. Perfectionism leads to all sorts of bad things, including potentially cheating to artificially inflate grades. It's also bad to base your self-esteem on something external like a test grade instead of the amount of effort that was put into it or just being a good person. I really hope no one is encouraging Shari to be perfect. I had a friend growing up whose mother would not accept anything but A+'s from her, and she was always stressed and then became very un-motivated in college and actually ended up losing her scholarship because her grades dropped. I also had good grades (not as good, but all A's and B's) and was intrinsically motivated and did really well in college because I wanted to do it for myself, not for someone else.
I agree with this. I had a very serious problem with obsessing over grades in school. It impacted my entire life in significant ways. I would have reacted very poorly to an A- as well. I completely relate to Shari in this way, and I feel bad for her. I don't like the comments some people are making on the vlog (although to be fair, they're probably from children/teenagers) that she should be happy to have an A- because they only get C+ or whatever. I completely agree that she should be pleased with her A-, but it shouldn't matter what everyone else is getting, if that makes any sense. Okay, so I'm using this as a personal venting session I think, but I remember kids being mean to me for being so upset about marks when my stress had absolutely nothing to do with what they were getting. I never thought other people were stupid or less valuable for getting Cs; the pressure was only something I (and my parents) were putting on me. Sorry. I guess this one struck a chord. Anyway, as weird as the family meeting stuff was, I did think Ruby handled Shari's situation (at least on camera) quite well (maybe without the "daddy got 3.9" comment, though!)
Bobbityfo1
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Bobbityfo1 »

Never posted here before, but can't exactly comment this on a video hahaa - just wondered if anyone else finds Kevin quite smug looking? I don't know if it's the half closed eyes with raised eyebrows look he does but I've always gotten egotistical vibes from him. (I read somewhere that for some Mormon men having lots of kids makes you more of a powerful man so maybe he's just proud of his sperm)
Can't watch him play piano either it's too cheesy lol
username320
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by username320 »

I agree with this. I had a very serious problem with obsessing over grades in school. It impacted my entire life in significant ways. I would have reacted very poorly to an A- as well. I completely relate to Shari in this way, and I feel bad for her. I don't like the comments some people are making on the vlog (although to be fair, they're probably from children/teenagers) that she should be happy to have an A- because they only get C+ or whatever. I completely agree that she should be pleased with her A-, but it shouldn't matter what everyone else is getting, if that makes any sense. Okay, so I'm using this as a personal venting session I think, but I remember kids being mean to me for being so upset about marks when my stress had absolutely nothing to do with what they were getting. I never thought other people were stupid or less valuable for getting Cs; the pressure was only something I (and my parents) were putting on me. Sorry. I guess this one struck a chord. Anyway, as weird as the family meeting stuff was, I did think Ruby handled Shari's situation (at least on camera) quite well (maybe without the "daddy got 3.9" comment, though!)[/quote][/quote]

Another thing to consider is that Shari mentioned, in a previous vlog, wanting to go for the presidential scholarship, which is all four years tuition and a living stipend at BYU, and a less than a 4.0 will take her out of the running, and that thought must be scary because she is one of six kids. This is also he freshman year and she got an A-, so she may feel bad and think it will only get worse. I don't think it's bad that Ruby showed it on account of other kids grades, it was real, and she then said that Shari had high standards for herself. I don't think any of the pressure for her is parental which is probably bc of the Utah Valley culture, but at least she won't be extra-stressed.
username320
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by username320 »

Another thing to consider is that Shari mentioned, in a previous vlog, wanting to go for the presidential scholarship, which is all four years tuition and a living stipend at BYU, and a less than a 4.0 will take her out of the running, and that thought must be scary because she is one of six kids. This is also he freshman year and she got an A-, so she may feel bad and think it will only get worse. I don't think it's bad that Ruby showed it on account of other kids grades, it was real, and she then said that Shari had high standards for herself. I don't think any of the pressure for her is parental which is probably bc of the Utah Valley culture, but at least she won't be extra-stressed.
YouTubeIdiots101
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by YouTubeIdiots101 »

Thinking back to my freshman year in high school, I am glad as hell I didn't take grades as deep as her. That seems like a miserable lifestyle. Like yes, getting good grades is important and should be a priority, but too much focus placed upon it is so dangerous. I was in AP and honors classes and graduated around a 3.75 GPA. Had no problem getting into any of the schools I applied to, and some of them were very tough. If anything, they focused more on my junior and senior years, definitely not my freshman year. I didn't even do the greatest my freshman year, I pulled B's because I didn't care as much. I got offered amazing scholarships and ended up being awarded at my university for my academic achievements. It just seems very unhealthy to be like that. She has the rest of high school, plus undergrad and grad school to worry about that. Her hair will be gray by then if she stresses every day like that.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

YouTubeIdiots101 wrote:Thinking back to my freshman year in high school, I am glad as hell I didn't take grades as deep as her. That seems like a miserable lifestyle. Like yes, getting good grades is important and should be a priority, but too much focus placed upon it is so dangerous. I was in AP and honors classes and graduated around a 3.75 GPA. Had no problem getting into any of the schools I applied to, and some of them were very tough. If anything, they focused more on my junior and senior years, definitely not my freshman year. I didn't even do the greatest my freshman year, I pulled B's because I didn't care as much. I got offered amazing scholarships and ended up being awarded at my university for my academic achievements. It just seems very unhealthy to be like that. She has the rest of high school, plus undergrad and grad school to worry about that. Her hair will be gray by then if she stresses every day like that.
Yup. The stress is deadly. Also, I just watched the video again (because I wasn't paying much attention the first time) and did Chad actually say, "I'll shoot the hedgehog"? That is very sad. He seems really angry.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

YouTubeIdiots101 wrote:Thinking back to my freshman year in high school, I am glad as hell I didn't take grades as deep as her. That seems like a miserable lifestyle. Like yes, getting good grades is important and should be a priority, but too much focus placed upon it is so dangerous. I was in AP and honors classes and graduated around a 3.75 GPA. Had no problem getting into any of the schools I applied to, and some of them were very tough. If anything, they focused more on my junior and senior years, definitely not my freshman year. I didn't even do the greatest my freshman year, I pulled B's because I didn't care as much. I got offered amazing scholarships and ended up being awarded at my university for my academic achievements. It just seems very unhealthy to be like that. She has the rest of high school, plus undergrad and grad school to worry about that. Her hair will be gray by then if she stresses every day like that.
Plus, hasn't she dropped some of her extracurricular activities? And colleges love those. I didn't get into a college I applied to, and made it to the interview at, because I didn't have enough extracurriculars. They said I wasn't "well rounded" enough. It wasn't Ivy League, but it was one of the Seven Sisters. It's not like it was an A- for the whole class, either. It was one test. It's good to want to do well. But obsessing over one test grade isn't healthy. She'd do well to get back into a sport or some other extracurricular activities.
Sorry for all the repetition. Can't think of another way to say "extracurricular activities" lol
Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
KaterTot
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by KaterTot »

timmytommy wrote:

I am not a fan of Chad's, but I understand what you are saying and agree. As a teenager, being vlogged all the time would be so irritating and an invasion of space. I can't imagine my teenage years being captured on camera and shown to 1M viewers without much consent from me. I think there is going to be a whole generation of children who were vlogged that will be coming into their adult years with major issues. There has to be psychological damage to the family from all this vlogging.

It is also hard for me to remember Chad is just 12. Julie is 8. They are still so young. I guess the way Ruby expects everybody to do things makes me forget . Chad really does get on my nerves however, no matter what his age but can you imagine when he REALLY hits teen years and those hormones fully kick in? He will be unbearable.
seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

The whole family meeting was completely unrealistic and ridiculous. I bet they won't follow up on any of that stuff.

I also feel for Chad, he is at a sensitive age. He might need counseling for his anger issues, why not start at 12 before it gets really bad. He threatened to kill Shari's pet, that's a bad sign.

And while she's age it, she should work with Russell as well.
puzzledbyit28
Talker
Talker

Unread post by puzzledbyit28 »

natalka81 wrote: I agree with this. I had a very serious problem with obsessing over grades in school. It impacted my entire life in significant ways. I would have reacted very poorly to an A- as well. I completely relate to Shari in this way, and I feel bad for her. I don't like the comments some people are making on the vlog (although to be fair, they're probably from children/teenagers) that she should be happy to have an A- because they only get C+ or whatever. I completely agree that she should be pleased with her A-, but it shouldn't matter what everyone else is getting, if that makes any sense. Okay, so I'm using this as a personal venting session I think, but I remember kids being mean to me for being so upset about marks when my stress had absolutely nothing to do with what they were getting. I never thought other people were stupid or less valuable for getting Cs; the pressure was only something I (and my parents) were putting on me. Sorry. I guess this one struck a chord. Anyway, as weird as the family meeting stuff was, I did think Ruby handled Shari's situation (at least on camera) quite well (maybe without the "daddy got 3.9" comment, though!)
I might be in the minority here, but I really don't think it's terrible for Shari to obsess over her grades the way she is. Based on what I can see from the videos, Shari's the one who puts pressure on herself, not her parents. Ruby is no Mensa candidate, and while Kevin has a PhD in engineering, he seems pretty laid back in general. I'd be shocked also if a Mormon family as religious as they are put pressure on a girl to do well in anything but becoming a mother. If Shari wants to hold herself to a high standard in terms of her grades, good for her.

I grew up in a town where our public schools were so competitive that kids who went to private school were the kids who couldn't hack it in public school. The majority of my friends went to Ivies. The ones who put pressure on themselves to do well in high school ended up doing just fine in life. No long-term mental health issues, no rude awakenings when they weren't at the top of their class at Harvard or Princeton or UPenn or wherever they ended up (and if Shari does go to BYU, it'll be pretty easy for her to still be top of her class), and no repercussions of a high-pressure experience in high school. It was the kids who were under pressure from their parents who tended to have trouble. I fully believe that the pressure Shari's under comes from her, and I hope she keeps that pressure on herself. As she gets farther into high school, it will be easy for her to start caring more about boys and her waist line and being cool than her grades. That would be a bigger concern IMO
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by calliepaige »

Just watched the video... chads comment about shooting the animal and then making the hand motion of shooting/his face was disturbing.

Return to “8 Passengers”