C&K: The Struggle is Real...ly Hard to Relate (Part 14)

workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: C&K: The Struggle is Real...ly Hard to Relate (Part 14)

Unread post by workfromhomemom »

Wait, what? I'm not a fan of live chats either, so I didn't watch. So, the money went to CK for the superchat and they would read/answer the comments that paid? If that's the case, that's super tacky. I think they should skip these and just do a one shot vlog or q&a.

Sorry I posted this before I saw responses above.
workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

HelloSweetie wrote:When Superchat first came out didn't Cullen do a livestream with it and later say he didn't know what it was when people criticized him for taking the money? Was that someone else?
It was Samika who didn’t realize how superchat worked. To my knowledge, they haven’t used it since. Cullen and Katie know how it works and have never had a problem taking money from their viewers.
tnchk1187
Talker
Talker

Unread post by tnchk1187 »

I’m sorry I like them but would never pay money to ask them a question that may or may not get answered. Is it connected to a credit card / pay pal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by calliepaige »

Gross

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

There was even a point where a viewer said they were an army wife and their husband is overseas. They get enjoyment out of the vlogs. Cullen then said "leave a comment not a superchat so we can thank your husband by name" then they didn't pay attention to the chat and got distracted so the poor lady sent another super chat so they could thank her husband by name.

I don't really see that much wrong with it, I watch tons of gaming channels and they all use super chat. These people make a living off of YouTube if fans are willing to send money, why not? I would never do it. They need to stop only reading the super chat comments though.

yoyo16
Informer
Informer

Unread post by yoyo16 »

Superchat is a nice idea in theory, but eventually, when overused, can seem tacky and greedy. I don’t think they intentionally set out to answer comments from those who were superchatting. They were answering questions from Instagram. However, people were using it so they subtlety encouraged it.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

I dont really have an issue with super chat, if they can use it as another stream of revenue for their business then fine. But I dont want to sit and watch a video of them giving shout outs to people for super chatting. Nor will I EVER super chat haha.
If they did something like a super chat livestream and were up front with only replying/answering questions about super chat then that would be great, I would know to go ahead and skip the video. As it is I watched about half of this one before giving up. Looks like I didnt miss much. An actual livestream answering the questions without the shout outs would have been alright, I would have likely watched that.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HelloSweetie wrote:When Superchat first came out didn't Cullen do a livestream with it and later say he didn't know what it was when people criticized him for taking the money? Was that someone else?
I think that was Sam from Samika. I don't know if they can turn it off or not. I _think_ Sam discouraged people from sending money after that. But actually saying that they would answer the questions of people who sent money is so skeevy. And frankly, I am not surprised. Cullen and Katie have been sketchy in the past, and everyone seems to think they're so above it all. They are just as willing to stick a camera in a sick kid's face for a thumbnail. Katie was the one who was actually _annoyed_ that their cancer fundraiser was so successful because their matching was going to be higher. They probably make more than most people who sent them money.
Edited: I also responded before seeing the responses above. For the people who are saying that "it's just another stream of revenue", the difference is that they are taking money from _viewers_, not companies. And manipulating their fans for money. That's not ok. If the Army wife was married to an enlisted guy, they don't make much. So she sent money twice just to have her husband's name mentioned? That's just wrong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
ladymama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ladymama »

I am watching it currently and was expecting soo much worse. It was very chaotic but I didn't see it as them begging for superchats or even asking for them.

I think they genuinely got distracted by the superchats- like if someone is paying them they feel obligated to reply to them. I don't think they expected so many superchats.

Hopefully in the future they do Instagram Q&As without the superchat. Or label it as a superchat Q&A if thats their plan.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
cottonblossom
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by cottonblossom »

ladymama wrote:I am watching it currently and was expecting soo much worse. It was very chaotic but I didn't see it as them begging for superchats or even asking for them.

I think they genuinely got distracted by the superchats- like if someone is paying them they feel obligated to reply to them. I don't think they expected so many superchats.

Hopefully in the future they do Instagram Q&As without the superchat. Or label it as a superchat Q&A if thats their plan.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
This 100%.

They didn’t ask for any super chats, but people kept doing them and I took it as they felt obligated to reply to those who were sending money. They kept coming in and wanted to keep acknowledging those people. They said thank you and even said a few times that people should stop sending them.
calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

Oh good! I thought they were asking for money!!

calliepaige
Gossiper
Gossiper

I just have to say I am liking the flow of the vlogs lately... they aren’t as awkward and tension filled.

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

Wait, so which is it? Some people are saying they were telling people to give money, but others say they told people not to.

FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

askeptichere wrote:Wait, so which is it? Some people are saying they were telling people to give money, but others say they told people not to.

I didnt watch the entire video. But from what I saw Cullen told a lady who had already given money to comment the name of her husband, but not to give money.
But they spent the first half only replying to and acknowledging people who were giving money so....
wishes
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by wishes »

Watched half of it for like most said, I don't care to see them fumbling around with comments, "good connection?", etc.

However, from what I saw they weren't asking for money, just acknowledging those who willingly did it because they wanted to. I know I would like to be given a shoutout if I were to send money. I don't even know if there is a way to turn them off either. They said in the beginning they didn't know what was happening until they realized it was Superchat and then started thanking those who send them money. I find that harmless, imo. Honestly, I just think people try to find any way to accuse them of being horrible.
Catch a falling star and put in your pocket
☆彡
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

It seems there are always a few who see badly in anyone. They look for things to pick at. I don’t think they are perfect by any means either.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:
I think that was Sam from Samika. I don't know if they can turn it off or not. I _think_ Sam discouraged people from sending money after that. But actually saying that they would answer the questions of people who sent money is so skeevy. And frankly, I am not surprised. Cullen and Katie have been sketchy in the past, and everyone seems to think they're so above it all. They are just as willing to stick a camera in a sick kid's face for a thumbnail. Katie was the one who was actually _annoyed_ that their cancer fundraiser was so successful because their matching was going to be higher. They probably make more than most people who sent them money.
Edited: I also responded before seeing the responses above. For the people who are saying that "it's just another stream of revenue", the difference is that they are taking money from _viewers_, not companies. And manipulating their fans for money. That's not ok. If the Army wife was married to an enlisted guy, they don't make much. So she sent money twice just to have her husband's name mentioned? That's just wrong.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

They arent forcing anyone to give that money though. People are choosing to send the money in hopes for a shout out. Its no different then people choosing to spend money on a Cullen and Katie T-shirt.
workfromhomemom
Gossiper
Gossiper

Ok, thanks for explaining. Like I said, I didn't watch it and I thought they were soliciting money through the superchat. I hope they opt not to try it again. Maybe it might work for other types of youtubers, but it seems a strange match and greedy for family vloggers. The video is monetized after it isn't live too, so they are already getting money off of it.
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

Omg today's title and thumbnail. Brooks looks pitiful. Of course the people who didn't watch the live stream or follow them on social media are going to click on the video really fast to see if Brooks is ok.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”