• Advertisement
    

DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby sb613 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:00 pm

Theirmom wrote:
sb613 wrote:
Theirmom wrote:Dude, you're reaching.
If you're going to go as far back as before the crusades to claim that we are all one people and therefore cultural appropriation doesn't exist, than this is a useless debate with you.

The Lannings are WASP-y Californians with no heritage or ties to aboriginal culture. They're ignorantly appropriating the visual aesthetic of tribal culture because they think it looks cool and they don't care if they offend people.


Again everything that you're saying is blatantly false. What about the crusades? Culture doesn't reset every 500 years, nothing magically happened around that time that separated us from our past. Our pre-crusade history is just as important for us as Native American or whoever pre-crusade history is for them. didn't say cultural appropriation doesn't exist because we were all related once, that is a straw-man argument. I said that B&M are actually related to people who shared these practices and there is no reason that they can't use them. There's also no reason that these symbols should be automatically associated with Native American people when they aren't exclusive to them. It's just random. "no heritage or ties to aboriginal culture" is false. They descend from Aboriginal Celtic Europeans. Which tribal culture are they appropriating? And yeah I'm sure they don't care about ignorant people being offended over stupid things.


How would you even know that they can trace their heritage to the Aboriginal Celtic Europeans, and not to the invading forces who conquered them?

This whole line of thought is ridiculous. You really are performing mental gymnastics to excuse cultural appropriation. You probably believe in reverse racism too.

They're appropriating tribal culture. And just because if you dig back far enough, all of our ancestors lived tribal lives, doesn't mean that white people get claim that indigenous adornments are A-OK to use and profit from.
Sorry. There are some things that white people are no longer allowed to do. And it's not reverse racism to point that out. You're completely wrong on this.


"just because if you dig back far enough, all of our ancestors lived tribal lives" not what I said, that's a strawman. This is in their recent history and you're not really explaining WHY people shouldn't be allowed to use symbols or art styles that their ancestors used for thousands and thousands of years just because other groups from other lands also use those symbols. No one here has explained why specifically this stuff must be ripping off Native Americans and not some race from Australia or Mexico or Africa or Siberia or any other place that these practices are found, it's just a completely random and sort of racist seeming idea. Y'all saw Missy wearing a bone/tooth necklace and immediately associated that primitive looking jewelry, found extremely commonly all over the planets, with Native Americans and you think she's the racist.

I'm also specifically calling you out for saying that they're not related to anyone who lived as tribes in the last 10,000 years which was so extremely wrong. Even if B&M are related to the invading groups they're also related to the indigenous groups, the populations were blended not replaced. Whether they're indigenous European or Indo-European they are related to many many tribal people from both sides, some of which are relatives of Native Americans, who used body paint, feathers, arrows, bone/tooth tools, etc, abundantly throughout the last 10,000 years. Many people who were brutally conquered by various invading civilizations all the time as well, which is another historical fact you tried to deny.

I'm not saying any of this because I think this was B&M's logic, I'm trying to correct your ignorant understandings of human history and your backwards ideas about society.
sb613
Amateur
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:33 am
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 164 times

Advertisement

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby queentee20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:03 pm

This isn’t a history site, go talk somewhere else... once your post becomes 90% off topic it is annoying & you are no longer relating it to M&B... it’s spam
queentee20
Gossiper
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4430 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby Playsinrain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:14 pm

:horse:
User avatar
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
 
Posts: 5262
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: GA
Has thanked: 8749 times
Been thanked: 33908 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby Theirmom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:22 pm

sb613 wrote:
"I'm also specifically calling you out for saying that they're not related to anyone who lived as tribes in the last 10,000 years which was so extremely wrong. "

"I'm trying to correct your ignorant understandings of human history and your backwards ideas about society."


I'm sorry that hyperbole is too advanced a concept for you.

There is also a difference between academic intelligence and wisdom. You are sorely lacking in the latter.

Moving on.
:roll:
User avatar
Theirmom
True Gossiper
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:54 pm
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 9197 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby Playsinrain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Are they seriously adding laugh tracks to the vlogs now? WTF??
User avatar
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
 
Posts: 5262
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: GA
Has thanked: 8749 times
Been thanked: 33908 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby natalka81 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:30 pm

I haven't even bothered to watch the vlog today and don't know if I will watch them again or not after the tribal warpaint images of yesterday. It is disappointing to hear the argument that they have the right to wear 'tribal' paint because they are of Celtic ancestry. I am also of Celtic ancestry and could not imagine ever wearing the paint unless I had thoroughly researched its origins, symbols, and specific meanings. Even then, I likely wouldn't do it because I recognize my white privilege is such that it would probably come across as offensive to some. Forgoing tribal paint is something I'm perfectly willing to do. I've enjoyed enough privilege being of WASP background that I don't need that one too. In any case, the most important point is that Bryan and Missy have clearly NOT chosen to wear these designs on their faces because of their heritage. They are taking this concept of body decoration from populations (and yes, I know it is more than one group) who use it to express their status, kinship, identity, etc. for the purposes of making profit for themselves. The people who use these body paintings (which I sincerely doubt look anything like the stuff Bryan and Missy have slapped on their faces) are often marginalised groups who have had their culture suppressed for hundreds of years. There is absolutely no reason for the Lannings to wear "tribal paint" on their faces and sing about it. Full stop.
natalka81
Gossiper
 
Posts: 565
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:27 pm
Has thanked: 3341 times
Been thanked: 2862 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby Playsinrain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:33 pm

They call it "war paint" about a million times in the vlog... but nah...they aren't pulling any of this from native American culture at all. :roll:
I was happy to see quite a lot of negative comments about said "war paint" on the vlog today.
Also, shame on their makeup person for doing this and being ok with it. If i was n artist and thats what they hired me to do i would tell them exactly how inappropriate this entire thing was and gladly give them back their money. No amount of money on this earth would make me ok with doing something like this. Shame on every single person on the "film crew" of this video as well. I cannot believe that NO ONE out of this whole group of people didn't speak up and tell them it's not ok. Further proof that they have surrounded themselves with money whore yes men...
Last edited by Playsinrain on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
 
Posts: 5262
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: GA
Has thanked: 8749 times
Been thanked: 33908 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby queentee20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:34 pm

Playsinrain wrote:Are they seriously adding laugh tracks to the vlogs now? WTF??


It was annoying... I’ll laugh if I want to, I don’t need a cue telling me to laugh
queentee20
Gossiper
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4430 times

DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby Theirmom » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:34 pm

It's fine. We get it. You don't care if cultural appropriation offends people. YOU think that people who are offended by it are too insensitive.

You're allowed to think that.
I used to think that saying "gyped" was okay until an actual Romani person told me it was offensive.

The difference between you and me is that when I get called out for hurting people, I stop.
I don't argue with them about why they're wrong for being offended.
Last edited by Theirmom on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:roll:
User avatar
Theirmom
True Gossiper
 
Posts: 1239
Joined: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:54 pm
Has thanked: 666 times
Been thanked: 9197 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby Defuego » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:35 pm

I haven't checked a DB thread in about 2 months. What a wonderful time for me to decide to check it, during a cultural appropriation shitstorm. Great timing.
Defuego
Informer
 
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:09 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 669 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby Playsinrain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:38 pm

queentee20 wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:Are they seriously adding laugh tracks to the vlogs now? WTF??


It was annoying... I’ll laugh if I want to, I don’t need a cue telling me to laugh


They get more and more sitcom every vlog. I wound't be surprised if they start hiring writers soon..
User avatar
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
 
Posts: 5262
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: GA
Has thanked: 8749 times
Been thanked: 33908 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby YesMia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:39 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
YesMia
Talker
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 am
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 106 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby brownprincess93 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 pm

Is it wise to teach Finn to hid in cabinets? BryLard doesn't have a functioning brain - clearly!! They have time to film their stupid videos (that nobody cares about) and they can't take Finn for his first haircut yet? If this was Ollie they would have had Travis come to their home and cut his hair with gold scissors!! Missy at 2:50 - her expression says it all - she could care less about Bryan's dying music career - she's just in it for the fame and attention!! Of course Bryan knows what make-up wipes are - he puts on make-up all the time for "video purposes" so obviously he knows about the wipes!!
brownprincess93
True Gossiper
 
Posts: 1171
Joined: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:16 am
Has thanked: 422 times
Been thanked: 7457 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby lmmomSD » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:56 pm

Arrrrgh. The worst thing? I had that stupid ass song stuck in my head when I was showering today. He obviously hired someone good to write the tune and arrange it. Because we all know he didn't do that. The poetry is bad enough for me to believe he wrote the lyrics. But not the music and arrangements.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
User avatar
lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper
 
Posts: 12547
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:08 pm
Location: San Diego, Ca
Has thanked: 64850 times
Been thanked: 60764 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby onbreak » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:01 pm

Playsinrain wrote:Are they seriously adding laugh tracks to the vlogs now? WTF??
Its a show, bro
Im swamped at work, I'll have to watch later

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
User avatar
onbreak
True Gossiper
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:30 am
Has thanked: 5583 times
Been thanked: 7946 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby onbreak » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:15 pm

queentee20 wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:Are they seriously adding laugh tracks to the vlogs now? WTF??


It was annoying... I’ll laugh if I want to, I don’t need a cue telling me to laugh
I hear that, Nobody tells me what to do

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
User avatar
onbreak
True Gossiper
 
Posts: 1464
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:30 am
Has thanked: 5583 times
Been thanked: 7946 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby queentee20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:03 pm

lmmomSD wrote:Arrrrgh. The worst thing? I had that stupid ass song stuck in my head when I was showering today. He obviously hired someone good to write the tune and arrange it. Because we all know he didn't do that. The poetry is bad enough for me to believe he wrote the lyrics. But not the music and arrangements.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk


My sister will randomly walk around the house singing it because she usually hears it EVERY DAMN DAY when I watch them.... weird but I honestly HATE youtubers who have intros, it’s annoying & since it’s every damn day it gets old quickly. It’s unneccessary... sometimes the intro annoys me so much that I shut my laptop down lol
queentee20
Gossiper
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4430 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby MandyJ » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:14 pm

Theirmom wrote:It's fine. We get it. You don't care if cultural appropriation offends people. YOU think that people who are offended by it are too insensitive.

You're allowed to think that.
I used to think that saying "gyped" was okay until an actual Romani person told me it was offensive.

The difference between you and me is that when I get called out for hurting people, I stop.
I don't argue with them about why they're wrong for being offended.


This this this
You can roll your eyes or think it’s ridiculous, but it just makes you look like a dismissive jerk


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MandyJ
Informer
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:34 am
Has thanked: 10615 times
Been thanked: 1417 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby YesMia » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:26 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
YesMia
Talker
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:24 am
Has thanked: 96 times
Been thanked: 106 times

DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby rd_valo » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:07 pm

sb613 wrote:
IceCreamCone wrote:
sb613 wrote:Explain what you know about the Scottish? I've never seen Bravehart, this topic (the Indigenous Western European tribes) is very important to me and I've spent years studying it as well as history and anthropology throughout human history around the world. None of you have any evidence for anything you're saying, everything that I'm saying are facts that can be backed up. It's a fact that the Celts wore face and body paint, and that Bryan and Missy descend from Celts which contradicts claims made by other users here. You obviously don't know anything about this culture and I doubt that you come from it so to me you just sound racist. I didn't say anything about the practice existing in modern times, I'm referring to the 10,000 year window that another user opened up. And yeah they stopped painting their faces because like I said they were invaded and conquered, and they would have been burned or executed in some other way for doing so.

I'm also not saying that B&M are trying to hark back to their ancestors, I'm refuting the claims that they have no connection to any tribal history. They aren't trying to allude to British history anymore than they are Native American, it's just arbitrary to connect it to any one culture. They're trying to tell a story with the theme of their family being a tribe unrelated to any racial group, using "tribal" or primitive motifs that aren't related to any one culture specifically. They have every right to do so especially given that they descend from people who used these symbols and practices too. To me y'all seem like the racists insisting they must be trying to reference non-white American or African or whatever tribes when they haven't done anything that's actually specific to those groups.


Years studying it doesn't make it your culture either.

Bryan and Missy have never expressed an interest in really and truly learning their heritage. You are making sweeping assumptions to try and justify how this isn't cultural appropriation. Using your argument, then CA isn't even a thing because most of us can be traced back to common ancestors. They are from ID and that is their culture. Maybe California if you really want to get into it, but seriously... they are just children putting on costumes and trying to be trendy. That's great you've put years of research in because its of interest to you, but you aren't Bryan and I guarantee that he and Missy just looked "cool tribal paint" up on Google and that was the end of it.

LMFAO at the suggestion that we seem like racists


No the fact that all of my family immigrated to the US from various Celtic lands makes it my culture. Again they're not trying to represent Celtic culture but what they're doing is not cultural appropriation because they're not borrowing any cultural practices from any group that they don't belong to.

Also yeah when I bring up Indigenous European culture and y'all start pretending that all of that boils down to a movie about a time period (post colonization) that I'm not even talking about it seems pretty racist and stupid to me.


I am actually Scottish (and my family have been Scottish from at least the 13th century) and I didn’t find the braveheart reference offensive or racist at all. But your comment about it being your culture is more offensive tbh. It is your ancestry and their culture. It is a culture you have an association with due to previous generations, but that doesn’t make it yours. Growing up around it, living it make it yours.
There is a difference.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rd_valo
Talker
 
Posts: 122
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:33 am
Has thanked: 5653 times
Been thanked: 531 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby spacekitty » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Does Bryan edit the vlogs or does someone else do it? I could see him being that cheesy lmao


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
spacekitty
Guru Gossiper
 
Posts: 2017
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:31 pm
Location: NJ
Has thanked: 94 times
Been thanked: 2502 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby queentee20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:34 pm

spacekitty wrote:Does Bryan edit the vlogs or does someone else do it? I could see him being that cheesy lmao


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk


I think he is, but if he’s not then it’s corbin... corbin took jeff’s job as assistant lol
queentee20
Gossiper
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4430 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby spillingthetea » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 pm

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/0f6c71e66d57633e43784e94d3018021.jpg[/img]

He is nothing special


Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
User avatar
spillingthetea
Talker
 
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:57 am
Has thanked: 2970 times
Been thanked: 697 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby queentee20 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:44 pm

He is nothing special


Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk[/quote]

I honestly hope Ollie enjoyed his mommy date, and I hope once Finn is older Missy will also have dates with him. It’s cute, and I know it’s always great to get alone time with a parent
queentee20
Gossiper
 
Posts: 745
Joined: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:56 am
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 4430 times

Re: DailyDoseofClickbait (Part 96)

Postby twomommies » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:51 pm

spillingthetea wrote:[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20171020/0f6c71e66d57633e43784e94d3018021.jpg[/img]

He is nothing special


Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
That kid looks weird. His face looks like it's puffy from an overload of sodium.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
twomommies
Guru Gossiper
 
Posts: 5126
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:43 am
Has thanked: 94185 times
Been thanked: 6896 times

PreviousNext

Return to DailyBumps/BumpsAlongTheWay

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Spoink_12

  • Advertisement