DailyAppropriatingCultures (Part 97)

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: DailyAppropriatingCultures (Part 97)

Unread post by lmmomSD »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:
sarahelizabeth_1 wrote:I really don't want to piss anyone off or offend anyone but I just have to ask, what's wrong with having a piñata?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've been to tons of "white people" birthdays and they have piñatas a lot of the time. I don't see what's wrong with it. Kids love it!
They're pretty much a given at kid's parties around here. Party City and Target sell them in every conceivable character.
I'm confused. The WW in the picture with the other super heroes is _not_ Missy, right? Not unless she's had microsculpting surgery on her arms in the past few days, or their photoshopping skills have improved. And the head piece is different than the one where she's holding Finn, right?
This looks pretty lame compared to what they have done for Ollie. The minions have got to notice it this time.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
sarahelizabeth_1
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by sarahelizabeth_1 »

queentee20 wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote:
sarahelizabeth_1 wrote:I really don't want to piss anyone off or offend anyone but I just have to ask, what's wrong with having a piñata?

I've been to tons of "white people" birthdays and they have piñatas a lot of the time. I don't see what's wrong with it. Kids love it!
It’s a Mexican tradition, it’s really weird to see white people with them. Like I don’t see them having quinceneras so no you don’t need a piñata... but that’s why this thread is called dailyappropriatingcultures! Lol ... I wouldn’t mind so much if they were more educated on the culture, they aren’t doing anything disrespectful but personally, I don’t like seeing it.
But they aren't making fun of someone's culture or tradition, they are only joining in on it.
So if white people shouldn't use piñatas or eat empanadas does that mean Mexicans shouldn't eat American food? I'm sorry, I just don't follow that logic.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Double post-- the party isn't not lame by normal people standards. But compared to what they generally do for Ollie's birthdays, it's pretty minimal

usernamessuck
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by usernamessuck »

It's like Ollie gets 2-3 Instagram posts per parent for his party and Finn gets two between the two of them. One of which has Ollie in it "showing" him how to open presents.
If you're going to go outrageously over the top for one kid, you have to go outrageously over the top for the other one. Finn will start to notice the contrast very soon.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

Cgl33 wrote:Missy is overwhelmed and crying? What is she overwhelmed with? Professional catering and decorations? Getting her makeup done? Watching her housekeeper clean? Gee Missy, that might be a sign that you aren't ready for a third baby...
Or a sign that she IS the third baby...helpless and in need of someone to take care of her Image

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

When is finns actual birthday? Ollie got a few instagram posts on his actual birthday and only one picture of missy holding a bird at his party...I tried posting a screenshot but Tapatalk won't allow me for some reason.

QweenKris
Talker
Talker

Unread post by QweenKris »

sarahelizabeth_1 wrote:
queentee20 wrote:
MommaLindsey2 wrote: I've been to tons of "white people" birthdays and they have piñatas a lot of the time. I don't see what's wrong with it. Kids love it!
It’s a Mexican tradition, it’s really weird to see white people with them. Like I don’t see them having quinceneras so no you don’t need a piñata... but that’s why this thread is called dailyappropriatingcultures! Lol ... I wouldn’t mind so much if they were more educated on the culture, they aren’t doing anything disrespectful but personally, I don’t like seeing it.
But they aren't making fun of someone's culture or tradition, they are only joining in on it.
So if white people shouldn't use piñatas or eat empanadas does that mean Mexicans shouldn't eat American food? I'm sorry, I just don't follow that logic.

THIS! Thank you.

cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

I'm so interested to see what they got Finn - nothing they were looking at in the toy store was age-appropriate. Do they realize toys have a recommended age range printed *right on the box*? I'm pretty sure they just pick out what they want to play with - and what Ollie wants to play with. There are so many cute and educational toys that they could get Finn that he would love! But no, it's more pirate and dinosaur and Harry Potter and superhero crap so Bry Bry can live vicariously through his toddler.

And did they really taste test food for a freaking Halloween party? It's not a wedding. They just get more OOT by the day.

ladyju28
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ladyju28 »

I'm from the Caribbean (black!), and I grew up having piñatas at ALL parties. Even grown people parties stuffed with condoms and thongs! So I wouldn't say its strictly a Mexican tradition.
cat9480
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by cat9480 »

queentee20 wrote:
cat9480 wrote:I'm so interested to see what they got Finn - nothing they were looking at in the toy store was age-appropriate. Do they realize toys have a recommended age range printed *right on the box*? I'm pretty sure they just pick out what they want to play with - and what Ollie wants to play with. There are so many cute and educational toys that they could get Finn that he would love! But no, it's more pirate and dinosaur and Harry Potter and superhero crap so Bry Bry can live vicariously through his toddler.

And did they really taste test food for a freaking Halloween party? Image It's not a wedding. They just get more OOT by the day.

They get catering for every party lol... next they’ll have catering for their huge Christmas present opening extravaganza!
I know - they are beyond unrelatable. I just thought it was particularly obnoxious that they had to show that they were taste tasting in the vlog. Pretty sure they weren't debating over which appetizers to serve - Bryan just wanted to show off and make sure everyone knows he's having another fancy party with catering.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

So, if they are serving Mexican food for this Halloween party, are we waiting for the Dia de Los Muertos stuff? I would not put it past them to have someone there doing sugar skull face paint. I mean, this is the Lannings after all.
Personal: after my father died, my mom went to a convent in Mexico for Dia de los Muertos and learned about the traditions and participated to honor my father. So she taught my sister and I, and we do a little altar for both my parents now that they're both gone. It helps me, because I miss them a lot, and I like to try to keep their memory alive for my kids. But I learned about the traditions and what they mean and don't go around acting like a sugar skull is a cool costume. I am seriously dreading what they're going to do. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but the Mexican food for the Halloween party just made me think they'll do that. Maybe it's innocent, and it's just because they love Mexican food, because we know they do. Let's hope so.

shezaraynes82
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by shezaraynes82 »

Finn and Oliver....[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201710 ... aabade.jpg[/img]

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

queentee20 wrote:To be honest, I feel like it easier to hate any move they do because they are white. I truly feel for white people, they can’t do anything without being told they’re racist or appropriating someone’s culture... in that sense I do feel that the lannings have it hard, anything they do will piss someone off
It's not difficult to not be culturally appropriative. White people claim all the time that European culture is superior to all other cultures, so they can draw on that instead of stealing from someone else's.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

fossilfinger wrote:
queentee20 wrote:To be honest, I feel like it easier to hate any move they do because they are white. I truly feel for white people, they can’t do anything without being told they’re racist or appropriating someone’s culture... in that sense I do feel that the lannings have it hard, anything they do will piss someone off
It's not difficult to not be culturally appropriative. White people claim all the time that European culture is superior to all other cultures, so they can draw on that instead of stealing from someone else's.
After I made my post about Dia de los Muertos, I realized that I could be seen as appropriating the culture. But I really do it because it makes me feel better. And I learned about the traditions, not just from my mom's trip but by studying it myself. So if anyone feels disrespected, I'm sorry. I don't do it to be cute or cool. Hopefully that makes a difference. Emma from Kitty's Mama did a "DIY Sugar Skull Face paint" tutorial last year, and didn't say _anything_ about the meaning of sugar skulls or why they are used. She got called out a lot in the comments.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

queentee20 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:So, if they are serving Mexican food for this Halloween party, are we waiting for the Dia de Los Muertos stuff? I would not put it past them to have someone there doing sugar skull face paint. I mean, this is the Lannings after all.
Personal: after my father died, my mom went to a convent in Mexico for Dia de los Muertos and learned about the traditions and participated to honor my father. So she taught my sister and I, and we do a little altar for both my parents now that they're both gone. It helps me, because I miss them a lot, and I like to try to keep their memory alive for my kids. But I learned about the traditions and what they mean and don't go around acting like a sugar skull is a cool costume. I am seriously dreading what they're going to do. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but the Mexican food for the Halloween party just made me think they'll do that. Maybe it's innocent, and it's just because they love Mexican food, because we know they do. Let's hope so.

I’m pretty sure they don’t even know what dia de los muertos is, although if you take Spanish is HS they will teach you about it... but you’re right I can totally see them doing something stupid because they love to be “trendy” ... you just reminded me that I recently lost my grandpa and we will have an alter for him next week, I’m in tears now lol (overly sensitive child right here)
So sorry for your loss! Hugs!

abbytalks12
Talker
Talker

Unread post by abbytalks12 »

cat9480 wrote:I'm so interested to see what they got Finn - nothing they were looking at in the toy store was age-appropriate. Do they realize toys have a recommended age range printed *right on the box*? I'm pretty sure they just pick out what they want to play with - and what Ollie wants to play with. There are so many cute and educational toys that they could get Finn that he would love! But no, it's more pirate and dinosaur and Harry Potter and superhero crap so Bry Bry can live vicariously through his toddler.

And did they really taste test food for a freaking Halloween party? Image It's not a wedding. They just get more OOT by the day.

I had to roll my eyes at that. I was like, come on guys, just get freakin finger food for your over the top party. I don't know why they act like it's a black tie event or something exclusive. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

abbytalks12 wrote:

I had to roll my eyes at that. I was like, come on guys, just get freakin finger food for your over the top party. I don't know why they act like it's a black tie event or something exclusive. ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Especially because they aren't even having _friends_. This is basically a business event, like every other party they have. Jeff and Tal will be there, Andrew and Hannah, probably the Ballingers, and every other family vlogger in the local area. They have no real friends. Even Kelsey and Corbin are no longer really friends. They're on the payroll now. Their parties are ridiculous. Like I've said before, they want the _appearance_ of popularity so badly, but also want to be better than everyone else, and that doesn't make people want to be your friends. So they throw these big bashes, and of course people come to them-- free food, booze, probably an ok time, and likely a few extra views. So of course they go, and the minions say, "Wow, look at how popular Bryan and Missy are!"

Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

Bryan's Instagram shows all of the kids having fun. Where was Finn? I understand having other activities for the kids at your party that may not be for a 2 year old. Otherwise, the older kids get bored. But why wasn't Finn in the middle of everything? It's not like he can't pretend to do Simon Says or eat a donut off a string.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

I'm glad she forgot to give out the goody bag$.
Now she canput gas in her car and visit all those kids and hand them out like a normal person would .. Ya know normal as, people who see their friends on the regular

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
spillingthetea
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by spillingthetea »

queentee20 wrote:
brownprincess93 wrote:Have you guys noticed that Missy is always kissing Ollie only in the beginning? She doesn't even acknowledge Finn!! Poor baby - his birthday is in a few days so the attention should be more on him anyway! They need any excuse to dump Finn off - like they could have just gone to buy toilet paper and he would still be there. Ollie's catch phrase "let's do this" is getting played out and the fact that they tell him to say it all the time means he couldn't care less about saying it! Missy is so stupid - like she clearly grew up eating chicken fingers, she doesn't even know what empanada's are?? Like how dumb can you be!! She lives in California for crying out loud - there are Taco Bells and Mexican restaurants at every stinking corner! He should just put some fries and bread in a plate for her at the party - she's so useless! I love how even in the end Ollie gets a hug for Finn's birthday party - Missy...since you read here...please make sure you make the card out to F-I-N-N and not Ollie!!! #DumbestMotherOnThePlanet
The only thing that really pisses me off is seeing them have a piñata or eating at Mexican restaurants yet she doesn’t know what empandas are?!? They are a classic sweet delicacy... usually sweet, I feel like the stuffing of meats and such is white washing them, since I basically grew up in Mexico and never once saw them like that. Anyways, I wish they’d educate themselves before borrowing things from other cultures. I’m not trying to start a war here, they just REALLY need to read a f***ing book or something.
Empanadas are salty actually. I live in Uruguay and here we eat them with meat inside. Also ham and cheese and many endless fillings... i believe empanadas were invented by argentinians btw. I have eaten sweet empanadas but i dont like them. Also, we are white here, im extremely pale and piñatas are a part of our culture too ;)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

Return to “Daily Bumps”