• Advertisement

DailyAppropriatingCultures (Part 97)

Re: DailyAppropriatingCultures (Part 97)

Postby lmmomSD » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:24 pm

queentee20 wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:So, if they are serving Mexican food for this Halloween party, are we waiting for the Dia de Los Muertos stuff? I would not put it past them to have someone there doing sugar skull face paint. I mean, this is the Lannings after all.
Personal: after my father died, my mom went to a convent in Mexico for Dia de los Muertos and learned about the traditions and participated to honor my father. So she taught my sister and I, and we do a little altar for both my parents now that they're both gone. It helps me, because I miss them a lot, and I like to try to keep their memory alive for my kids. But I learned about the traditions and what they mean and don't go around acting like a sugar skull is a cool costume. I am seriously dreading what they're going to do. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, but the Mexican food for the Halloween party just made me think they'll do that. Maybe it's innocent, and it's just because they love Mexican food, because we know they do. Let's hope so.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’m pretty sure they don’t even know what dia de los muertos is, although if you take Spanish is HS they will teach you about it... but you’re right I can totally see them doing something stupid because they love to be “trendy” ... you just reminded me that I recently lost my grandpa and we will have an alter for him next week, I’m in tears now lol (overly sensitive child right here)
So sorry for your loss! Hugs!

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper

Advertisement

Postby queentee20 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:02 pm

lmmomSD wrote:
fossilfinger wrote:
queentee20 wrote:To be honest, I feel like it easier to hate any move they do because they are white. I truly feel for white people, they can’t do anything without being told they’re racist or appropriating someone’s culture... in that sense I do feel that the lannings have it hard, anything they do will piss someone off

It's not difficult to not be culturally appropriative. White people claim all the time that European culture is superior to all other cultures, so they can draw on that instead of stealing from someone else's.
After I made my post about Dia de los Muertos, I realized that I could be seen as appropriating the culture. But I really do it because it makes me feel better. And I learned about the traditions, not just from my mom's trip but by studying it myself. So if anyone feels disrespected, I'm sorry. I don't do it to be cute or cool. Hopefully that makes a difference. Emma from Kitty's Mama did a "DIY Sugar Skull Face paint" tutorial last year, and didn't say _anything_ about the meaning of sugar skulls or why they are used. She got called out a lot in the comments.

I don’t think so at all! Like I said, the lannings were also not being disrespectful... if it’s done in and educated & respectful matter there is no harm :)
queentee20
Gossiper

Postby abbytalks12 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:37 pm

cat9480 wrote:I'm so interested to see what they got Finn - nothing they were looking at in the toy store was age-appropriate. Do they realize toys have a recommended age range printed *right on the box*? I'm pretty sure they just pick out what they want to play with - and what Ollie wants to play with. There are so many cute and educational toys that they could get Finn that he would love! But no, it's more pirate and dinosaur and Harry Potter and superhero crap so Bry Bry can live vicariously through his toddler.

And did they really taste test food for a freaking Halloween party? It's not a wedding. They just get more OOT by the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had to roll my eyes at that. I was like, come on guys, just get freakin finger food for your over the top party. I don't know why they act like it's a black tie event or something exclusive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
abbytalks12
Talker

Postby lmmomSD » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:30 am

abbytalks12 wrote:
cat9480 wrote:I'm so interested to see what they got Finn - nothing they were looking at in the toy store was age-appropriate. Do they realize toys have a recommended age range printed *right on the box*? I'm pretty sure they just pick out what they want to play with - and what Ollie wants to play with. There are so many cute and educational toys that they could get Finn that he would love! But no, it's more pirate and dinosaur and Harry Potter and superhero crap so Bry Bry can live vicariously through his toddler.

And did they really taste test food for a freaking Halloween party? It's not a wedding. They just get more OOT by the day.

I had to roll my eyes at that. I was like, come on guys, just get freakin finger food for your over the top party. I don't know why they act like it's a black tie event or something exclusive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Especially because they aren't even having _friends_. This is basically a business event, like every other party they have. Jeff and Tal will be there, Andrew and Hannah, probably the Ballingers, and every other family vlogger in the local area. They have no real friends. Even Kelsey and Corbin are no longer really friends. They're on the payroll now. Their parties are ridiculous. Like I've said before, they want the _appearance_ of popularity so badly, but also want to be better than everyone else, and that doesn't make people want to be your friends. So they throw these big bashes, and of course people come to them-- free food, booze, probably an ok time, and likely a few extra views. So of course they go, and the minions say, "Wow, look at how popular Bryan and Missy are!"

lmmomSD
Guru Gossiper

Postby Cgl33 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:48 am

Bryan's Instagram shows all of the kids having fun. Where was Finn? I understand having other activities for the kids at your party that may not be for a 2 year old. Otherwise, the older kids get bored. But why wasn't Finn in the middle of everything? It's not like he can't pretend to do Simon Says or eat a donut off a string.
Cgl33
Guru Gossiper

Postby onbreak » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:48 am

I'm glad she forgot to give out the goody bag$.
Now she canput gas in her car and visit all those kids and hand them out like a normal person would .. Ya know normal as, people who see their friends on the regular

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
onbreak
True Gossiper

Postby spillingthetea » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:13 am

queentee20 wrote:
brownprincess93 wrote:Have you guys noticed that Missy is always kissing Ollie only in the beginning? She doesn't even acknowledge Finn!! Poor baby - his birthday is in a few days so the attention should be more on him anyway! They need any excuse to dump Finn off - like they could have just gone to buy toilet paper and he would still be there. Ollie's catch phrase "let's do this" is getting played out and the fact that they tell him to say it all the time means he couldn't care less about saying it! Missy is so stupid - like she clearly grew up eating chicken fingers, she doesn't even know what empanada's are?? Like how dumb can you be!! She lives in California for crying out loud - there are Taco Bells and Mexican restaurants at every stinking corner! He should just put some fries and bread in a plate for her at the party - she's so useless! I love how even in the end Ollie gets a hug for Finn's birthday party - Missy...since you read here...please make sure you make the card out to F-I-N-N and not Ollie!!! #DumbestMotherOnThePlanet

The only thing that really pisses me off is seeing them have a piñata or eating at Mexican restaurants yet she doesn’t know what empandas are?!? They are a classic sweet delicacy... usually sweet, I feel like the stuffing of meats and such is white washing them, since I basically grew up in Mexico and never once saw them like that. Anyways, I wish they’d educate themselves before borrowing things from other cultures. I’m not trying to start a war here, they just REALLY need to read a f***ing book or something.

Empanadas are salty actually. I live in Uruguay and here we eat them with meat inside. Also ham and cheese and many endless fillings... i believe empanadas were invented by argentinians btw. I have eaten sweet empanadas but i dont like them. Also, we are white here, im extremely pale and piñatas are a part of our culture too ;)

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
spillingthetea
Talker

Postby queentee20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:24 am

onbreak wrote:I'm glad she forgot to give out the goody bag$.
Now she canput gas in her car and visit all those kids and hand them out like a normal person would .. Ya know normal as, people who see their friends on the regular

Another reason for her cry! She’s soooo busy she doesn’t have time to put gas in her car.
queentee20
Gossiper

Postby queentee20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 am

Wow. This is sorta related to DB just give me a bit. So Shawn Johnson recently had this whole video about how she miscarrried and buzzfeed did an article on it today, well the comments are blowing up about why doesn’t anyone keep anything private? Why would anyone put such a thing online?? And I’m internally screaming because if they knew of people like the DB they’d probably croak LOL...
queentee20
Gossiper

Postby Playsinrain » Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:54 am

Which vlog this weekend does Missy cry in it? I want to watch this but i really don't want to watch all of them if i don't have too lol
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper

Postby 100midas » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 am

Playsinrain wrote:Which vlog this weekend does Missy cry in it? I want to watch this but i really don't want to watch all of them if i don't have too lol

She didn't cry in the vlog, she said at the beginning of the vlog that she cried a few times the other day because they were so busy. I'm pretty sure it was yesterday's vlog.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
100midas
Informer

Postby cat9480 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:06 am

Playsinrain wrote:Which vlog this weekend does Missy cry in it? I want to watch this but i really don't want to watch all of them if i don't have too lol

She doesn't actually cry in the vlog, she just talks about how she cried a couple times last week. It's in yesterday's vlog.

I see the vlog is late again today. I'm sure a "real boss" would be totally cool with him calling in to say he'd be late because he was up late partying at his 2-year-old's super hero party and he is just SO STRESSED. (Especially because he's already been late several times this month - this week, even.)

cat9480
Gossiper

Postby Playsinrain » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:17 am

Ahh ok i heard her say that she had shed a few tears over the Halloween costume she was making (which being a crafty person myself, i'd be lying if i said i had never done that) and now shes talking about crying again? I might be hopping on that pregnancy train.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper

Postby onbreak » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:18 am

If the vlog isn't 89% Fin, I'm starting a worst parents on YouTube channel. 1st episode the daily bump in our lives: The story of Finley J. Lanning

onbreak
True Gossiper

Postby Playsinrain » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:23 am

onbreak wrote:If the vlog isn't 89% Fin, I'm starting a worst parents on YouTube channel. 1st episode the daily bump in our lives: The story of Finley J. Lanning

I got 10 bucks on Finn sharing the thumbnail with Ollie (who will be the focus of the thumbnail, not Finn, like last year) and another 10 buck on Ollie "helping" his brother open his gifts and another 10 bucks on Ollie getting at LEAST one present for himself.... 20 bucks on Missy saying "Oh Ollie will have so much fun with this!!" about some of Finn;s toys..
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper

Postby usernamessuck » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:28 am

Playsinrain wrote:
onbreak wrote:If the vlog isn't 89% Fin, I'm starting a worst parents on YouTube channel. 1st episode the daily bump in our lives: The story of Finley J. Lanning

I got 10 bucks on Finn sharing the thumbnail with Ollie (who will be the focus of the thumbnail, not Finn, like last year) and another 10 buck on Ollie "helping" his brother open his gifts and another 10 bucks on Ollie getting at LEAST one present for himself.... 20 bucks on Missy saying "Oh Ollie will have so much fun with this!!" about some of Finn;s toys..
100% chance Ollie opens Finn' s presents. There is already photographic evidence on Missy's Instagram.

Anyone think Missy us going to do a labor recap for Finn? My best guess says no.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
usernamessuck
Informer

Postby MandyJ » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 am

Would absolutely not put it past them to appropriate Dia de los muertos too. Calaveras have been “trendy” in Halloween costumes, decor etc for at least a couple of years now. It irritates me to no end because DDLM is NOT Halloween! Not only culturally significant but literally sacred.
Oh and mocking is not the only way to be culturally appropriative. We’ve discussed it a ton in here and if you’re still not clear there are tons of good resources about what it is and isn’t on the internet to educate yourself.

MandyJ
Informer

Postby Playsinrain » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:32 am

usernamessuck wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:

100% chance Ollie opens Finn' s presents. There is already photographic evidence on Missy's Instagram.

Anyone think Missy us going to do a labor recap for Finn? My best guess says no.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

hell no she won't.. mimi hasn't given her permission too yet..
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper

Postby queentee20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 am

MandyJ wrote:Would absolutely not put it past them to appropriate Dia de los muertos too. Calaveras have been “trendy” in Halloween costumes, decor etc for at least a couple of years now. It irritates me to no end because DDLM is NOT Halloween! Not only culturally significant but literally sacred.
Oh and mocking is not the only way to be culturally appropriative. We’ve discussed it a ton in here and if you’re still not clear there are tons of good resources about what it is and isn’t on the internet to educate yourself.

I like you :3 a person with some good sense
queentee20
Gossiper

Postby queentee20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am

Wow Finn can’t say Batman... WOOOOOOW he really wants to talk but he can’t say a word
queentee20
Gossiper

Postby MamaJoAnna » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:02 am

She probably has to make sure people approve the vlog first like with Finn's birth story. "Too much Finn, not enough of Missy or Ollie."

Sent from my Z799VL using Tapatalk
RIP Dad - 09/30/2017 :angel:
MamaJoAnna
Super Moddie

Postby queentee20 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:06 am

I GAGGED when Bryan asked Bailey if she was daddy’s monster.... (if you know the Harley Quinn comics you’d understand)
queentee20
Gossiper

Postby MommaLindsey2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:06 am

The party was fine for a 2 year old, if they had done a party like Ollie's 4th Finn would be VERY overwhelmed.

I agree that Finn at this point needs some help with speech. He does jabber a lot but does he say any words besides yeah and momma? I think both boys need their hearing checked.

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper

Postby MommaLindsey2 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:14 am

For those saying Ollie gets such better birthdays. Here is Ollie's 2nd birthday vlog, I'm amazed that he is talking much better than Finn is now. He also only got some balloons and a poster and a few decorations. No payed actors no bouncy house.
https://youtu.be/rrg-OAa1IAA

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper

Postby Playsinrain » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:15 am

Well i'm 12 mins in and if you just started watching from the time the party started, you wouldnt even know it was Finn's birthday. Spotlight is all on Ollie, once again.
Missy looks AWFUL in that Wonder woman costume. Not only is it not flattering at all, but somehow it ages her about 20 years. (I'm not a fan of the hired Wonder Woman either, anyone else think she looks strung out? Damn..)
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper

PreviousNext

Return to DailyBumps/BumpsAlongTheWay