DailyAppropriatingCultures (Part 97)

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

DailyAppropriatingCultures (Part 97)

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

I think a smaller get together with just family and close friends would have been better.... no hired help. I think little ones tend to get lost in big birthday extravaganzas. I know Ollie always gets big parties, but those are still more about B&M showing off their party planning skills than it actually is about Ollie. There's something to be said for a simple day celebrating a loved one. Maybe that's just me though.
awinedengar
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Re: DailyAppropriatingCultures (Part 97)

Unread post by awinedengar »

Lovethesnark wrote:The Wonder Woman they hired looked like she might be fresh from rehab. I thought the party was nice though. Finn got a ton of attention. It wasn't too over the top. I didn't think they focused too much on Ollie. After the party starts you don't see much of him in the vlog.
I thought the same thing! Very creepy. Also, the Spider-Man needs to be wearing a cup of some sort. Totally innapropriate in that suit to not be wearing something covering your privates.
awinedengar
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by awinedengar »

ewokfan11 wrote:Does dwarfism run in Missy's family? I never noticed it before, but Ollie arms are really short and not proportional at all. Missy's mom and sister can't be taller than 4'10" and that's considered dwarfism.
I wouldn't doubt it. Ollie seems to be growing in his head and nowhere else. I think Finn is going to be taller than him. From what I have heard brian and missy are under 5'8", which is eat below average but Missy's parents are both obnoxiously short.
PumpkinHead
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PumpkinHead »

At least Finn's party was somewhat comparable to Ollie's... sort of. I don't understand why they have to throw these huge parties for their kids though. Especially for Finn, who only just turned 2 and seems to be sort of quiet/shy. Who thought it would be a good idea to have a big party like that?? There was so much going on and so many people there, none of whom were actually Finn's age. Finn might have enjoyed the bounce house, but I doubt he was able to go in it without being trampled by the big kids. And then they show him opening one present? I know he probably got more gifts than that, but I'll venture to guess that it's no where near the amount that Ollie got (and I think Ollie got way too many gifts, but if you're gonna go all out, you should at least do it for all of your kids..). They just make me so frustrated! This party was still more for Ollie than it was for Finn, though I think it was mostly for the vlog. Anyway, sorry for the rant lol.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:For those saying Ollie gets such better birthdays. Here is Ollie's 2nd birthday vlog, I'm amazed that he is talking much better than Finn is now. He also only got some balloons and a poster and a few decorations. No payed actors no bouncy house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was back when I actually liked them. They were even a little embarrassed at how much they did for Ollie's second birthday. But you can't really compare that with Finn's second. By Ollie's third, they had the new house, and went nuts. There were at least 50 people there. I still think that when Finn is older, he's going to notice the difference.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

HelloSweetie wrote:I think a smaller get together with just family and close friends would have been better.... no hired help. I think little ones tend to get lost in big birthday extravaganzas. I know Ollie always gets big parties, but those are still more about B&M showing off their party planning skills than it actually is about Ollie. There's something to be said for a simple day celebrating a loved one. Maybe that's just me though.
I came here to say the exact same thing. This was marginally better than Ollie's, but definitely NOT suitable for a 2 year old. Chaos and noise. Poor kid.
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

awinedengar wrote:
ewokfan11 wrote:Does dwarfism run in Missy's family? I never noticed it before, but Ollie arms are really short and not proportional at all. Missy's mom and sister can't be taller than 4'10" and that's considered dwarfism.
I wouldn't doubt it. Ollie seems to be growing in his head and nowhere else. I think Finn is going to be taller than him. From what I have heard brian and missy are under 5'8", which is eat below average but Missy's parents are both obnoxiously short.
5'8" is generous! It's been reported Bryan isn't any taller than 5'6" and Missy isn't over 5'2". I *think* Cassie has said she is like 4'9" or so. I don't know how tall Suzanne is, but I'd guess the same... and Jim is really short, too.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

actuallydear wrote:
awinedengar wrote:
5'8" is generous! It's been reported Bryan isn't any taller than 5'6" and Missy isn't over 5'2". I *think* Cassie has said she is like 4'9" or so. I don't know how tall Suzanne is, but I'd guess the same... and Jim is really short, too.
It's so crazy to me that my 12 year old is taller(or is as tall as.. she 5'6) than every lanning listed here. Damn.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Also, if Cassie is only 4'9 then in the state of Georgia she is technically not allowed to ride in a car without a booster seat.
shortstop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by shortstop »

I think thats a law in all 50 states. I should technically be in a booster.
ladyju28
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ladyju28 »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:For those saying Ollie gets such better birthdays. Here is Ollie's 2nd birthday vlog, I'm amazed that he is talking much better than Finn is now. He also only got some balloons and a poster and a few decorations. No payed actors no bouncy house.

But now they're thuper duper millionaires.
ladyju28
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ladyju28 »

Missy is such a wonderful and amazing person you guiseee. She can put together sime goodie boxes!! Ughh.. and the funny part is, Kelsey was sitting right there doing the same thing Missy is doing hahaha.
janem
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by janem »

I hate brylards voice...screaming all the time. Just too bad that he couldn’t hold Finn on his lap. Most of the shots were of Ollie.
Also can’t stand all the vloggers with their darn cameras out all the time. No one can really enjoy the party, it’s all about getting the shot!
I was on the fence about the missy pregnancy train until today. WOW, in that costume she really does look pregnant! Seeing her in the background shots, it’s noticeable.
Who has their hair, makeup and false eyelashes done for their 2 yo birthday party?
I also think they hired someone to do all the decorations etc. costumes for the kids/adults too?
I’ve also noticed that she got the boys more of those darn rompers. Really are dumb looking on Ollie.

MandyJ
Informer
Informer

Unread post by MandyJ »

shortstop wrote:I think thats a law in all 50 states. I should technically be in a booster.
A lot of states (most?) only require it until age 8 regardless of size. Best practices say it should be until the child can pass the 5 step test.

That said, an adult’s skeleton is fully developed and it’s not as much of an issue for them as it is for a child who is still developing, so that’s why short adults don’t need to worry about booster seats.

MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

awinedengar wrote:
So now we are talking about them having dwarfism. Who cares? why are they obnoxiously short? What is wrong with short people?

White people cannot have piñatas at parties, we cannot speculate about bryan being gay because those things are offensive. We can however make fun of speech impediments, obesity, and the way people look? Can I get a rule book? I am overweight and get ridiculously offended on this forum because I would love to be Missy's size...

Kish
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Kish »

Playsinrain wrote:Also, if Cassie is only 4'9 then in the state of Georgia she is technically not allowed to ride in a car without a booster seat.

Where I’m from, it’s required for people/children to use booster seats until they are twelve years old – I’m not 100% sure, but I think that an adult person who is under the respective minimum height may nonetheless sit in a car without a booster (anything else would be quite humiliating in my opinion)
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Kish wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:Also, if Cassie is only 4'9 then in the state of Georgia she is technically not allowed to ride in a car without a booster seat.

Where I’m from, it’s required for people/children to use booster seats until they are twelve years old – I’m not 100% sure, but I think that an adult person who is under the respective minimum height may nonetheless sit in a car without a booster (anything else would be quite humiliating in my opinion)
just to be clear, i know adults do not have to sit in boosters regardless of height. I think people are taking my comment more seriously then i intended.
lurkernomore
Talker
Talker

Unread post by lurkernomore »

MandyJ wrote:Would absolutely not put it past them to appropriate Dia de los muertos too. Calaveras have been “trendy” in Halloween costumes, decor etc for at least a couple of years now. It irritates me to no end because DDLM is NOT Halloween! Not only culturally significant but literally sacred.
Oh and mocking is not the only way to be culturally appropriative. We’ve discussed it a ton in here and if you’re still not clear there are tons of good resources about what it is and isn’t on the internet to educate yourself.
Plus, it merits repeating, because the Lannings are capitalizing on this party (specifically on their vlog about it), they would be making money off of the sacred holiday of a culture they know NOTHING about. I'm gonna hope against hope that they don't go there, but I fully believe they're capable of being just that stupid -- particularly since they can't really one-up their OTT party from last year, they might just opt for a "totally different" vibe this year ... now with 100% more cultural appropriation!

On today's vlog, you could really get a sense of just how little time the Lannings and Johnsons have been spending together. Ollie wrapped himself around Peyton and Finn clung to Tal (who was ALWAYS holding him around this time last year). So awkward. Now I'm just DYING to know if there was an actual dramatic fallout or just lots of passive aggressive comments and a gradual distancing.
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

Playsinrain wrote:
actuallydear wrote:
awinedengar wrote: I wouldn't doubt it. Ollie seems to be growing in his head and nowhere else. I think Finn is going to be taller than him. From what I have heard brian and missy are under 5'8", which is eat below average but Missy's parents are both obnoxiously short.
It's so crazy to me that my 12 year old is taller(or is as tall as.. she 5'6) than every lanning listed here. Damn.
I was just thinking the same thing.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
MandyJ
Informer
Informer

Unread post by MandyJ »

lurkernomore wrote:
MandyJ wrote:Would absolutely not put it past them to appropriate Dia de los muertos too. Calaveras have been “trendy” in Halloween costumes, decor etc for at least a couple of years now. It irritates me to no end because DDLM is NOT Halloween! Not only culturally significant but literally sacred.
Oh and mocking is not the only way to be culturally appropriative. We’ve discussed it a ton in here and if you’re still not clear there are tons of good resources about what it is and isn’t on the internet to educate yourself.
Plus, it merits repeating, because the Lannings are capitalizing on this party (specifically on their vlog about it), they would be making money off of the sacred holiday of a culture they know NOTHING about. I'm gonna hope against hope that they don't go there, but I fully believe they're capable of being just that stupid -- particularly since they can't really one-up their OTT party from last year, they might just opt for a "totally different" vibe this year ... now with 100% more cultural appropriation!

On today's vlog, you could really get a sense of just how little time the Lannings and Johnsons have been spending together. Ollie wrapped himself around Peyton and Finn clung to Tal (who was ALWAYS holding him around this time last year). So awkward. Now I'm just DYING to know if there was an actual dramatic fallout or just lots of passive aggressive comments and a gradual distancing.
Exactlyyy. They will make money from having this vlog. Super gross if that’s what they do. I will honestly be surprised if they don’t somehow appropriate a culture and/or wear offensive costumes though.

Return to “Daily Bumps”