Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

amyfalafal
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

Unread post by amyfalafal »

I am under the impression "the men" Bonnie is referring to are guides..not necessarily their husbands. I read here first, and then watched the entire vlog, and they are travelling with guides, I think.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

OldHag wrote:I can't believe they are THAT ignorant to think animal cruelty is okay and think their viewers want to watch.
What did they do? Was it something in China?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

It was a form of fishing but using a bird to catch the fish. They just watched as fishermen did this.
I found it interesting. I've never seen something Like that. Animal cruelty, I guess but honestly if they fished the way we do a worm dies, so that sounds worse than a bird catching and releasing. Imo

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
OldHag
Informer
Informer

Unread post by OldHag »

lmmomSD wrote:
OldHag wrote:I can't believe they are THAT ignorant to think animal cruelty is okay and think their viewers want to watch.
What did they do? Was it something in China?

In China they watched a man who has captured large birds, ties a rope around their neck that is too tight for them to swallow a fish. He roughly threw them into the water by their head/neck, the bird catches a fish, the man yanks him out of the water by the rope and strangles him until he throws up the fish. Aaand repeat. And B&J stood there filming and basically cheering him on.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

I enjoy Bonnie’s vlogs much more, I actually know what’s going on and I like that Bonnie shows her true emotion/reaction. It’s such a contrast to Ellie’s fake emotions, and fake excitement “KAY. so fun!”. Also Ellie interrupting Bonnie yelling out “and IM COLD” while Bonnie was talking about being how she has been hot and sweaty all trip and it’s nice to feel cool air. It’s just a kind shitty thing to say because mostly everyone I know who has extra weight on them runs on the warmer side. Seems like Bonnie is getting a lot with hanging out with the other couples, and she’s good at making meaningful connections, whereas it seems like Ellie is still the little girl trying to hang out with the adults but doesn’t quite fit in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

"Seems like Bonnie is getting a lot with hanging out with the other couples, and she’s good at making meaningful connections, whereas it seems like Ellie is still the little girl trying to hang out with the adults but doesn’t quite fit in. "

You said a mouthful, Gymchick! That's exactly it. And it's not only wanting to hang out with the adults, but also being bored by it, and wanting the attention on herself instead of what everyone else is paying attention to.

RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

I appreciate Bonnie's "we're not that smart" comment, because it implies that she knows there is a deficiency and she wants to correct it (to some extent). The "public school" comment came out of Ellie's mouth, but if we put it through the Griffiths Translator, it seems fair to say that they are learning more than they did in school. I've often felt the same way, and never considered it to really be a condemnation of public schools vs private - just that for various personal reasons, I didn't get much out of school either, though I did well in my classes. There are certainly ways to learn and grow and get a lot out of a standard public education, but if you're not raised in an environment that encourages intellectual curiosity and academic achievements (which I think it's fair to say the Griffiths' upbringing did not), then it stands to reason that you might prioritize other things without even knowing what you're missing out on. I don't see it as a Mormon thing necessarily, because plenty of Mormon women go to college and/or on missions. Look at Shari - her interests are certainly encouraged and Kevin is very proud of her intelligence (though she could still get married at a young age).

I also didn't take "the men" to mean Joel and Jared exclusively, though I'm sure there's a J Squared story in there somewhere.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

RecklessDisregard wrote:I also didn't take "the men" to mean Joel and Jared exclusively, though I'm sure there's a J Squared story in there somewhere.
Well Jer Bear did get his Bromance moment with Joel in China so there's that :shock: :tu:
Also, I was surprised they didn't edit out Bonnie saying the word piss twice in their first China vlog.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Bethypooh51
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Bethypooh51 »

Wow just wow!!! This morning Bonnie had over 530 comments on her vlog from yesterday. A lot of people upset that they are printing their cook book in China. I just got home from taking my son to school and now there are 282 comments and the majority of the comments about printing their cook book in China are gone. I had no idea Bonnie deleted her comments like Ellie and Jared do. Wow so sad!!

Bethypooh51
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Bethypooh51 »

Now ALL of the comments about their viewers being disappointed in the for printing in China have been deleted. I have lost total respect for Bonnie and Joel.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Bethypooh51 wrote:Now ALL of the comments about their viewers being disappointed in the for printing in China have been deleted. I have lost total respect for Bonnie and Joel.

Wow. So, the question is, will they pretend it never happened, or get all snarky and defensive in the vlog? Bonnie doesn't do passive aggressive digs like Cullen. She comes out swinging. She'll probably say something like "It's our cookbook and we can publish it where we like". That's basically her go to argument for criticism of her parenting. And I absolutely understand feeling that about parenting. But if it bothers her that people comment, why put decisions that might be controversial out there? I appreciate that she wants to be "real", and definitely prefer her style to E&J's "everything is perfect all the time". But she just needs a thicker skin if she's going to vlog.

IceCreamCone
Talker
Talker

Unread post by IceCreamCone »

Bethypooh51 wrote:Now ALL of the comments about their viewers being disappointed in the for printing in China have been deleted. I have lost total respect for Bonnie and Joel.

Bonnie has said before she will delete comments she doesn't like. She owns it. Recently she hasn't been doing it as much because she doesn't read the more negative comments. From a marketing perspective I can absolutely see why vloggers delete certain comments. The Hoelleins are a "typical American family" (more or less) and a bunch of comments suggesting they are poor Americans is bad for business. I think those comments are ignorant btw. They would pay far more to have the books printed in America. We criticize the way YTers spend money all the time, but expect them to splurge and pay more when it comes to this business venture? Makes no sense. At least the trip to China made sure that any factory they do decide to partner with is one that keeps up with current standards and proper ethical practices.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

I’m not offended by the China thing, I mean it’s their business decision and it is cheaper and they did make a point of being honest about it and looking for a factory that treats their workers well and explained that. I mean I would be a hypocrite to critique their choice because how many things do I buy from China just because they are cheaper than local? At least they are showing it in the vlog, ellie and Jared are just avoiding it and not even mentioning why they are there (most likely to avoid those comments)

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Have they ever talked about "buying American"? I know that E&J bought a Honda, and wasn't their older car a Toyota? If they had ever gone on about the economy, and buying American, then I could side eye them publishing in China. But I don't remember them talking that way. I know they knew exactly what they wanted as far as the car and truck, but I don't think it was necessarily about buying American made cars. Joel had been interested in a Nissan Titan, right? So I don't think they're being hypocritical, unlike some people who shall remain nameless because I don't want to get into politics here...

Ducklings4
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Ducklings4 »

I was hoping the China trip was not about the cookbook. There are so many small publishers here in the US, my brother being one of them. That being said it is their business where they get it printed. I was thinking about the deleted negative comments, if I had my work out for everyone to see and I had over 500 negative comments, I would probably delete as well. I was never planning on purchasing the cookbook. I have never seen anything any of them make that I, one, could not make from finding the recipe online, or two I recipe that I would want to make.

Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

They had to of known the criticism was coming with choosing a Chinese publication company instead of American. I think that's why they made a point to say they were checking out the working conditions. Yes I would have preferred an American and I think I personally would have gone that route. But I do think the amount of negative comments should scare them for the sales of the book.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

I don't care where they get the cook book published. I have zero intentions of buying one regardless who the publisher is. Although anything they would have saved using a publisher in China is surely lost by the cost to travel with 4 of them to China...and why didn't Beau or Ruby or Grandma get to go?
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I know that writing something off isn't the same as free, but wouldn't this trip be a write off?

FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

lmmomSD wrote:I know that writing something off isn't the same as free, but wouldn't this trip be a write off?

Parts of it. They obviously spent time doing non-work related things...but writing it off is just an expense against their income. They still have to put that money out. They wont get that money back, its just money that will be used against their income to reduce the amount of money they pay tax on.
So even if they wrote the entire trip off (which legally, no not the entire trip would count) they still aren't coming out ahead when you compare book sales vs book expenses...unless they sell WAY WAY more cook books then I am thinking.
kathpt
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kathpt »

Isn't publishing different from printing though?
I know next to zero about publishing books, so I don't even understand why people are upset about the China thing.
you can call me kath.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”