Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

HelloSweetie wrote:I feel bad for them if others are allowed to keep their channels and do the same thing (vlog, not post inappropriate content). I don't think the YT crackdown requires previous warnings, but having no strings against them and then losing the entire channel does seem extreme when others are continuing on. Having no strikes against her, it doesn't seem the videos "in the past" are even the issue. She loses her channel, and yet Jared still has potty thumbnails of Jackson up that haven't been deleted? They all need to be held accountable, or YT needs to have a way for creators to dispute their case should they get caught up in the algorithm. It isn't a matter of people reviewing these vlogs and shutting them down.... it's a bot. It could actually have been nothing to do with the children that triggered the demonetization. I'm wondering if it was her "Bad Day" vid where she talked of wanting to not censor herself and to be able to say "gun" if she wanted to. That'll do it.
I get what you're saying but I think the fact that they had no previous strikes on their video is just due to the fact that YouTube wasn't looking for this stuff until now. Sure there were report buttons but I don't think reports were followed up on, and the bot that flags these things is a new system.

As far as I know, the only real way to get strikes on your channel before this was to get flagged for copyright violations. Those were the only real violations YT cared about until very recently.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by GymChick »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:I thought her IG post was classy and professional, but I was rolling my eyes through the video. They kept mentioning being unemployed now and Joel compared this to "being asked to work for free."

You are unemployed! This entire time you've been unemployed! They're idiots if they ever felt employed by YouTube. YouTube is not asking you to put up vlogs and in return has never promised to pay you for them! If Joel truly thinks vlogging is a full time job with real work then everyone should stop holding out hope for him to go back to work someday because his attitude has changed.

All of my sympathy is gone after that video tbh. Asking your followers to contact YouTube and complaining that they haven't explained why they demonitized you is ridiculous. YouTube owes no transparenty over what they do with videos on their platform, and tweets aren't going to faze them a bit. Bonnie was demonitized for a reason, one YouTube can't disclose because it would be easy to find loop holes if they did, and I guarantee you that it wasn't a mistake. They aren't a good, clean channel caught up in this by accident. YouTube saw a problem, decided she was part of it for reasons known only to them, and this is the way they fixed it.

Bonnie's not crying over "losing her friends" because she could still upload if she really felt that strongly about it. She's crying over losing her salon visits and nail appointments.

Exactly like if Ellie said what Bonnie said “I’m not crying because it about the money” and if Jared said what Joel said “we want to keep doing this for YOU guys” and “YouTube is a lot of work that’s why I had to go full time” like come onnnnnnn! We would be ripping their heads off lol it’s always about the money...always! Bonnie and Joel got used to it and it sucks but they weren’t fired. It’s the risk and luck of the draw with YouTube. I hope Ellie and Jared get cracked down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

I just want to say that my opinion has nothing to do with how much I like Bonnie, and everything to do with fairness. I wouldn't feel right about DB suddenly losing everything, but C&K being allowed to carry on either. Like so many parenting decisions we see in vlogs, "exploitation" is subjective and can encompass so many things. Maybe kids shouldn't be filmed at all? Ruby's Channel, Ryan Toys Review, E&J, C&K, etc ALL sacrifice a child's privacy. I'm not against the demonetizing of channels like Bonnie's, but would feel less frustrated about it if it truly felt like the worst offenders were being targeted. E&J still having their channel up just doesn't seem right. That said, I wouldn't feel right about all the UT vloggers being shut down, while the CA ones are left to continue either. There need to be rules and the same rules apply to everyone.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

I don't feel bad for them.
Bonnie has posted some incredibly inappropriate content of her children and used some very questionable tags. They're not innocent.
And today's video was a joke. "I'm not sad about not getting paid" "but we aren't going to continue if we don't get paid".
Everyone on the outside knew YouTube wouldn't last forever. It looks like it's starting to end for a lot of folk.

Also, I don't know how comfortably they'll be able to live before having to find a job. Sure they may not have bought a new home but its likely they had some debt when they started, they've paid for two new, expensive vehicles, they've paid for renovations, they've likely paid off their mortgage, they paid for multiple vacations, a nanny, some pretty expensive shopping habits, I just don't think they're sitting at a point where they'll be fine for long. If this isn't fixed soon I would expect to see Joel returning to work by the new year.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:I just want to say that my opinion has nothing to do with how much I like Bonnie, and everything to do with fairness. I wouldn't feel right about DB suddenly losing everything, but C&K being allowed to carry on either. Like so many parenting decisions we see in vlogs, "exploitation" is subjective and can encompass so many things. Maybe kids shouldn't be filmed at all? Ruby's Channel, Ryan Toys Review, E&J, C&K, etc ALL sacrifice a child's privacy. I'm not against the demonetizing of channels like Bonnie's, but would feel less frustrated about it if it truly felt like the worst offenders were being targeted. E&J still having their channel up just doesn't seem right. That said, I wouldn't feel right about all the UT vloggers being shut down, while the CA ones are left to continue either. There need to be rules and the same rules apply to everyone.

Only time will tell. This is a new thing, so unfortunately with millions of content creators it’s impossible to be fair across the board. Maybe some of the vloggers will get away with it by deleting some videos and starting to make more clean content? But for now it’s luck of the draw and life isn’t fair when you take a risky job like that. I think it’s a good change and hopefully in the right direction. This is only the beginning

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

gymchick43 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:I just want to say that my opinion has nothing to do with how much I like Bonnie, and everything to do with fairness. I wouldn't feel right about DB suddenly losing everything, but C&K being allowed to carry on either. Like so many parenting decisions we see in vlogs, "exploitation" is subjective and can encompass so many things. Maybe kids shouldn't be filmed at all? Ruby's Channel, Ryan Toys Review, E&J, C&K, etc ALL sacrifice a child's privacy. I'm not against the demonetizing of channels like Bonnie's, but would feel less frustrated about it if it truly felt like the worst offenders were being targeted. E&J still having their channel up just doesn't seem right. That said, I wouldn't feel right about all the UT vloggers being shut down, while the CA ones are left to continue either. There need to be rules and the same rules apply to everyone.

Only time will tell. This is a new thing, so unfortunately with millions of content creators it’s impossible to be fair across the board. Maybe some of the vloggers will get away with it by deleting some videos and starting to make more clean content? But for now it’s luck of the draw and life isn’t fair when you take a risky job like that. I think it’s a good change and hopefully in the right direction. This is only the beginning

Agee to disagree. The skeptic in me tells me that the Network channels will be somewhat protected and allowed to continue posting whatever they want. Bonnie mentioned in her video that they knew this was coming for months right? Think of what we've seen E&J post in those months then! Potty pics, Calvin in his underwear, in he bath...they don't seem concerned at all. Either they are ignorant fools (totally possible) or they feel untouchable for some reason. Theres just something extra creepy about that.

I think B&J probably have a hefty savings saved up based off what she was bringing in, but I also agree with Faking It that Joel will be back to work (in some form) soon. He doesn't seem like the type to just wait and see what happens, and I don't see them wanting to just piss through any savings they've accumulated due to the last 3 years' windfall.
natalka81
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by natalka81 »

Maybe I'm just gullible but I honestly believe that she isn't crying because of the money, but because of the experience. Of COURSE she's going to miss the luxuries that have come from YT but I do think that it's the video-making that they will miss. Of all the families this one put the most effort in their videos (IMO) without ever resorting to stupid challenges and staged stuff. YES, they definitely made mistakes too. But honestly, I will miss Bonnie's channel if it ends up disappearing.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I think she’s crying because of the experience too but the experience basically comes down to money and lifestyle...being able to vlog full time and spend time with family and go on trips is all because of the money. Also look what grandma grif posted [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... e36a6a.jpg[/img]

onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:I don't feel bad for them.
Bonnie has posted some incredibly inappropriate content of her children and used some very questionable tags. They're not innocent.
And today's video was a joke. "I'm not sad about not getting paid" "but we aren't going to continue if we don't get paid".
Everyone on the outside knew YouTube wouldn't last forever. It looks like it's starting to end for a lot of folk.

Also, I don't know how comfortably they'll be able to live before having to find a job. Sure they may not have bought a new home but its likely they had some debt when they started, they've paid for two new, expensive vehicles, they've paid for renovations, they've likely paid off their mortgage, they paid for multiple vacations, a nanny, some pretty expensive shopping habits, I just don't think they're sitting at a point where they'll be fine for long. If this isn't fixed soon I would expect to see Joel returning to work by the new year.
She exploits the smallest owie and bump.. She's not blameless.

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

gymchick43 wrote:I think she’s crying because of the experience too but the experience basically comes down to money and lifestyle...being able to vlog full time and spend time with family and go on trips is all because of the money. Also look what grandma grif posted [img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201712 ... e36a6a.jpg[/img]

Maybe its crazy grandma griff's turn to bring in the $$$ and spoil those grandkids

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

The absolute number one video a Mecham/Griffiths has posted that needs to be demonetized is when Jared put (Lincoln’s?) butt on his cheek. I wonder if it has?

FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

natalka81 wrote:Maybe I'm just gullible but I honestly believe that she isn't crying because of the money, but because of the experience. Of COURSE she's going to miss the luxuries that have come from YT but I do think that it's the video-making that they will miss. Of all the families this one put the most effort in their videos (IMO) without ever resorting to stupid challenges and staged stuff. YES, they definitely made mistakes too. But honestly, I will miss Bonnie's channel if it ends up disappearing.
The experience is the money though. If the experience was making the videos she could very easily continue with that.
It's the having both parents home, no schedule, money to spend on whatever they fancy at the moment, finally feeling financially free.
They went from a single modest income, larger sized family, to a very high income earning family. And a high income that came with relatively little work and far less education then most higher income earners. And it happened essentially overnight.
Even with savings and Joel getting a job their life is going to become very different if their channel doesn't get its monetization back. Joel is definitely employable but it won't be at a rate comparable to their recent income.
Unfortunately with a risky job like YouTube this is what can happen. Big rewards and benefits but also big risk of failure.
It's only a matter of time before it catches up to other YouTube creators as well. Bonnie may have had a cleaner channel but she also posted her share of exploitive and inappropriate videos of her children.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

If Bonnie's channel was demonetized for suggestive content, then why is she free to post videos and just not monetize them? The demonetizing is more suggestive of her vlogs somehow not being advertiser friendly, but nothing worth YT deleting (except possibly the baptism one).

Ruby and E&J have seemingly had vlogs deleted. Maybe they did it themselves or, maybe YT did, but if the issue is truly about protecting children, then shouldn't it not be allowed to be posted at all? Bonnie can still post videos, she just can't profit off them. What is to stop a creeper from posting underwear footage of their kids and then just profiting off it on a pedo site somewhere then?

While I don't want to see anyone profiting off exploiting their kids, I can't say I would feel any better about someone doing it for free. That almost seems sketchier.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

natalka81 wrote:Maybe I'm just gullible but I honestly believe that she isn't crying because of the money, but because of the experience. Of COURSE she's going to miss the luxuries that have come from YT but I do think that it's the video-making that they will miss. Of all the families this one put the most effort in their videos (IMO) without ever resorting to stupid challenges and staged stuff. YES, they definitely made mistakes too. But honestly, I will miss Bonnie's channel if it ends up disappearing.
I agree. I enjoy Bonnie's vlogs, and can really tell that Joel puts a lot of work into his editing. I don't know how long it takes him, but I guarantee he puts more effort in than I've seen from Bryan, Cullen or Jared lately.

It seems that most of the criticism is coming from people who stopped watching them regularly months ago. They had changed. The vlogs were tired and Bonnie got used to Joel being home, but things have been different in the last few months. Joel is out helping others for a lot of the day, and Bonnie is home with the kids. She's occasionally has help, but for me most part is still relatable. Their dynamic is relatable... at least to me. If they stop vlogging, I will miss the kids, and miss watching their day to day life. Plus I think Joel is an amazing role model to any young men that might watch. I can't think of many other YT dads that I would say that about.
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

The Youtube algorithm has been deleting and demonetizing videos unjustly for months. Youtube even acknowledged this and said that creators just need to dispute it. Like it's that simple! Yes they also came out recently and said that they would be making efforts to protect children, but I don't necessarily think this is what Bonnie got caught up in. Is it relevant to her? Absolutely! But to have the entire channel demonetized, there must be a larger trigger and I believe it's the tags "LDS" and "MISSION" and "YOUNG MENS" they have used in recent months. They don't preach religion, but it is definitely mentioned. I belong to a YT creator Facebook group, and quite a few vloggers have had their vlogs demonetized just for using words like "BIRTH" or "CHRISTIAN" in the title. I get wanting to protect children, but what YT is actively doing is censoring and whitewashing it's product. Among the items no longer monetizable is tragedy. You cannot tell of a personal struggle without risking demonetization. Expect YT as a whole to become a lot less real, and a whole lot more "perfect." Protecting children from sexual content is only one priority, they want to protect them from all content not family friendly. Since when is YT a kids only channel? Everyone is acting like this is a crack down on Family Vloggers, but it isn't. It is in fact a move to make that the dominant content. Someone said that YT couldn't let Bonnie know what the problem was because then they would know how to get around the bots. This isn't true. YT isn't letting creators know because THEY don't know. It's all in the algorithm, which even they admit has severe flaws. They need to come out with hard and fast guidelines for family vloggers and not generalize. If YTers have heard this was coming for months, then they could have gone through all their old videos and deleted any footage that had their children in suggestive situations. You know, actually cleanse YT and make the kids safe. This isn't doing that... it's just making it harder for parents to profit off it, but that isn't going to stop random pedophiles from using the content that does get by. Kids don't need to be naked on YT. It shouldn't matter who you are, what network you belong to, or how many subs you have.

I like Bonnie and Joel, and I think of all the Griffiths they were far more prepared for YT to eventually end. Do I think they expected it to end overnight? No way! I think they expected there would be warnings and Joel could then start his own business. I kinda hate that they are the ones getting hit though, when they at least did make efforts to be prepared. I don't at all think they are going to struggle financially, and I do side-eye all the comments making it sounds like they were throwing money around left and right (from people who even admit that they don't watch the vlogs) when that just isn't what we saw. Joel at best made $60K a year before YT, and after he quit the pair was raking in over $500K a year. They renovated their home, and saved to buy two new (one used) vehicles in that time. The house was dirt cheap when they bought it (searchable) and no doubt they had that paid off before Joel even quit. They will do just fine, and if they do continue to do YT and get their channel monetization back, I look forward to seeing what this kick in the ass does to there future plans. I would much rather have seen E&J hit by this than Bonnie. They would have been completely unprepared and those vlogs would have revealed so much.
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

I also thought she was referring to her Youtube friends. Youtubers hang out with other Youtubers, if Bonnie isn't monetized she may be out of the group. I mean, she has Ellie, but how much did we really see Ellie hang out with Bonnie before she was on Youtube? Not often, that's why a lot of people didn't realize they were sisters.
littlebaby
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by littlebaby »

There are a TON of comments on her video saying that people think Christian and conservative videos are being targeted.

This strikes me as super strange.. any weight behind this?

BadWolf, why did you use the term whitewashing? Wouldn’t it be the opposite? Whitewashing in this case would mean they’re getting rid of/demonetizing channels that *aren’t* stereotypical white or often Christian/Mormon channels and families. If YouTube wants to “protect children” you would expect the happy religious American families to stay and still be monetized. I may have just misunderstood your use of the word though. Did you just mean it as in YouTube is just watering down their content?

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Exactly. I don't know if it's because they have a network, or what. But E&J are much worse than her. And if Bonnie and Ruby are getting cracked down on, so should Ellie and Jared. And SlyFox. And DB.
SlyFox has a video with a thumbnail of Jaedyn, their 10 year old daughter, with her bathing suit top half off her shoulder. It has 33 million views. The E&J one of Calvin's 2 week checkup has 12 million. You can't tell me that they don't have an inkling where all those views came from. But they just keep cashing the checks.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

But they can still make videos and upload. That is why I never buy it when vloggers say that they do it for the memories, or to share their lives, or whatever. If that was completely true, why monetize? I mean, I get it. The money is great. But this "Oh, I'll miss you all so much and miss sharing my life" stuff is complete BS. Nothing is stopping them from filming and uploading.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

littlebaby wrote:There are a TON of comments on her video saying that people think Christian and conservative videos are being targeted.

This strikes me as super strange.. any weight behind this?

BadWolf, why did you use the term whitewashing? Wouldn’t it be the opposite? Whitewashing in this case would mean they’re getting rid of/demonetizing channels that *aren’t* stereotypical white or often Christian/Mormon channels and families. If YouTube wants to “protect children” you would expect the happy religious American families to stay and still be monetized. I may have just misunderstood your use of the word though. Did you just mean it as in YouTube is just watering down their content?

There is a ton of weight behind that. CHRIST, GUNS, JESUS, RELIGION, etc are all blacklisted words. It isn't just Christians though, but this is more noticeable by Conservative Christians because they aren't used to being persecuted against if that makes sense? The LGBT community has been under fire for months, but the Conservative Christian community wasn't concerned about the censorship until it reached them.

Basically when I say it comes down to whitewashing, what I mean is more applying a rose coloured utopian filter. They want Youtube to be advertiser friendly, and and that means not just politically correct, but watered down. Youtube is no longer going to be a resource where people can tell their transgender, rape, cancer story freely, or post about a war memorial. Not with monetization anyway. I know people are hoping that Bonnie's channel is a sign that E&J are going to be held accountable for what they are doing, but I just don't think this is the case. I think E&J is EXACTLY what Youtube is looking for. Daily Bumps too.... watered down good wholesome values with zero substance. They are just colourful "kid safe" advertisements. They may need to start cutting down on the TTC talk, but other than that, I think they are better than fine. They'll be making bank as more channels get shut down.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”