8 Puffy Passengers - Part #7

Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 Puffy Passengers - Part #7

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

I love the ideas of elf on the shelf but there's no way I could keep us. We do advent calendar, Christmas countdown activities and chain link good deeds on top of family events and shopping and o yeah working and normal everyday life things. I love the holidays and celebrations but I know if I add one more thing I will quickly resent it all.
But I totally agree that she shouldn't have started with it if she wasn't going to do it every year until they don't believe anymore. Its not fair to the younger ones!! As much as Russell and Eve annoys me, they still deserve those childhood memories!!!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I am so glad that my kids grew up before Elf on the Shelf.

My daughter was actually a little freaked out by Santa. The idea of someone coming into the house at night, even to leave presents, creeped her out. A stool pigeon elf watching her all the time, and going back and forth to report to Santa, would really have weirded her out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

lmmomSD wrote:I am so glad that my kids grew up before Elf on the Shelf.

My daughter was actually a little freaked out by Santa. The idea of someone coming into the house at night, even to leave presents, creeped her out. A stool pigeon elf watching her all the time, and going back and forth to report to Santa, would really have weirded her out.

My husband's the same way!!! Lol
He even said he thinks it would cause so Much fear and we would be paying for therapy because our children would be traumatized that their toys were coming to life and watching them!! Hahahaha

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

The Elf on the Shelf concept has been around forever, but just commercialized in recent years. In Scandinavia, "elves" play pranks on kids in the days leading up to Christmas, just like Elf on the Shelf is often posed in precarious situations. The difference is that instead of just being a fun tradition here, a lot of parents use it to try to one-up each other.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

fossilfinger wrote:The Elf on the Shelf concept has been around forever, but just commercialized in recent years. In Scandinavia, "elves" play pranks on kids in the days leading up to Christmas, just like Elf on the Shelf is often posed in precarious situations. The difference is that instead of just being a fun tradition here, a lot of parents use it to try to one-up each other.
I blame Pinterest.

seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

Sad that none of Ruby's kids even thought to check on her when she didn't get up.

Also, why does Shari refer to the younger ones as "the kids", as if she isn't a kid. She's so grown acting.
thenightowl
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by thenightowl »

Oh look Russell had a fever and instead of keeping him home, they took him out to eat and to a concert. She is always freaking doing this, taking her sick kids out and it ticks me off because my immune system is compromised.
sasperillo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by sasperillo »

Russel at the restaurant spitting out food onto his plate was disgusting. A child with such poor manners is not old/mature enough to eat in public.
Also none of the kids (except for maybe Julie) wanted to go to their precious traditional concert and all preferred the idea of staying home and babysitting (aka playing video games). Also did you notice that Julie took Eve to the babysitter and then said she was so glad she was dropped off? I get the sense that she has to take care of Eve a lot while Abby gets grouped in with Shari and gets to go to a cool concert.
Finally, a little OT, I checked out the Mormon choir video they linked and all I could think of was that they cast a cool looking black guy in the video (because they’re so inclusive! it’s been more than 30 years since they stopped saying that black people are an inferior race and they are not allowed in the church) but when they pan over the choir it’s ALL white, blonde Mormons.
ElizabethToh
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by ElizabethToh »

seriously7 wrote:Sad that none of Ruby's kids even thought to check on her when she didn't get up.

Also, why does Shari refer to the younger ones as "the kids", as if she isn't a kid. She's so grown acting.
They're probably so used to their mum sleeping in that it wasn't abnormal to them.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Danielle_2013
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by Danielle_2013 »

sasperillo wrote:Russel at the restaurant spitting out food onto his plate was disgusting. A child with such poor manners is not old/mature enough to eat in public.
Also none of the kids (except for maybe Julie) wanted to go to their precious traditional concert and all preferred the idea of staying home and babysitting (aka playing video games). Also did you notice that Julie took Eve to the babysitter and then said she was so glad she was dropped off? I get the sense that she has to take care of Eve a lot while Abby gets grouped in with Shari and gets to go to a cool concert.
Finally, a little OT, I checked out the Mormon choir video they linked and all I could think of was that they cast a cool looking black guy in the video (because they’re so inclusive! it’s been more than 30 years since they stopped saying that black people are an inferior race and they are not allowed in the church) but when they pan over the choir it’s ALL white, blonde Mormons.
I have always seen people talking shit about mormons ans saying that we are weirdos. Not all mormons are like the 8 passengers, there are some sane people. Stop comparing us to this crazy family. And also plz don't act as if our church is the only church who made mistakes in the past. I am really tired of people criticizing us and believing everything you see see in the internet. And maybe they are all blonde white people is because the qoir is from Utah where the majority are white. Here most the poeple in our ward are black. So it depends on the location.
Thank you
Danielle_2013
Wallflower
Wallflower

sasperillo wrote:Russel at the restaurant spitting out food onto his plate was disgusting. A child with such poor manners is not old/mature enough to eat in public.
It is actually sad to see poeple criticizing the mormons based on this crazy psychotic family, we are not the same as them. We are sane. We are educated. We are not stupid. Plz stop saying that all mormons are like that. We are not. If I had the chance I would delete their channel because of their misrepresentation of our church. They are a disgrace, and an embarrassment. Also plz stop acting as if the church is only the church in the world who has made a mistake in the past. We appreciate diversity and equality. The racism happened a long time ago, where black people were discriminated. The church made a mistake, and then fixed it. Maybe all the quire is blonde and white because in Utah the majority is white? Have you thought about that? In our church ward the majority is black, so it depends on the location.
Thank you
sasperillo
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by sasperillo »

Danielle_2013 wrote:
It is actually sad to see poeple criticizing the mormons based on this crazy psychotic family, we are not the same as them. We are sane. We are educated. We are not stupid. Plz stop saying that all mormons are like that. We are not. If I had the chance I would delete their channel because of their misrepresentation of our church. They are a disgrace, and an embarrassment. Also plz stop acting as if the church is only the church in the world who has made a mistake in the past. We appreciate diversity and equality. The racism happened a long time ago, where black people were discriminated. The church made a mistake, and then fixed it. Maybe all the quire is blonde and white because in Utah the majority is white? Have you thought about that? In our church ward the majority is black, so it depends on the location.
Thank you
Not equating 8 passengers to all Mormons- the two parts of my post are unrelated. Nowhere in my post it says that Mormons are uneducated and insane. Also not saying that Mormonism is a worse religion than others- most religions originate from power struggles and their histories are bloody and viscious. But Mormonism has a very recent history of racism- if you think that 1978 was a long time ago I don’t know what to tell you- you must live in a very different world than the one I live in. The point of my observation on their video was : the entire choir is white as are most of Utah Mormons but they chose to make one of the main characters of their video a black man because they’re trying to show that they are inclusive and relatable. The LDS church still has an image problem that hey are acutely aware of and they are trying to fix it. It is funny because it is so obvious. Reads a lot like those toy catalogues where there is an Asian kid, a black kid, a white kid and a kid in a wheelchair all playing with the same toy. Prepackaged diversity, the kind you have to make up because you don’t have any- not very smooth. Sorry if I offended you- it was not my intention.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I think part of the problem is that you have people like Ruby, who is an idiot no matter what her faith, loudly proclaiming what her faith is, and talking about being a "role model" to young women. And then people who don't know better think that the Griffiths are.representative of all Mormons, when they're definitely not. Don't mean the OP because she's explained her point.

It's good to speak up when you see people assuming that the Griffiths are representative of Mormons as a whole.

onbreak
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by onbreak »

I dont subscribe to grandparents griffiths.. But for being so controlling how did she drop the ball on smelly Ellie and putrid ruby?

Sent from my LG-M257 using Tapatalk
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

Danielle_2013 wrote:
Thank you

Exactly!!! NONE of the griffiths girls are a representation of lds church members. They're a representation of Jennifer.
I am a Mormon woman. I am educated. I have a successful business. I don't feel pressured to have a bunch of kids and raise them like ruby.
shortstop
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by shortstop »

The vlog that really creeped me out was the one with Kevin and Russel in the tub.
skrt09

Unread post by skrt09 »

Why is Ruby so extra? It's great that she wants to be charitable, but this vlog seemed very forced. She fed the kids bread and eggs for dinner to remind them of how fortunate they are - but isn't that what they regularly eat? Lol

And surely enough...if you search "Shari Showers in our Backyard" (one of their vlog titles) on Youtube, you'll see a questionable playlist featuring some of their videos - and many deleted ones.
illumia
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by illumia »

I thought Ruby’s lessons were soooo forced. She rushes through the lessons to prove a few points and tries to make it seem like she’s such a great mom “influencing” her young viewers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Danielle_2013
Wallflower
Wallflower

I also really hated how she showed the amount of money she paid for the family. Such a show off. It isn't a good deed of you show it to all the million people that watch her.
MrsMaisel
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by MrsMaisel »

sasperillo wrote:Oh God. Right when I think they’ve touched the bottom Ruby surprises me with a new gem. In today’s vlog she talks about Julie crying and fussing when Russel was a newborn because she was neglecting her to the point of her smelling. What? How is she so nonchalant about something like that? Her two year old had peed her pants and she just let her sit in it for god knows how long. And the smug way in which she says she “serves her children” - you gave your 2 year old a bath and put her in a clean outfit, if that is memorable as some kind of “sacrifice” you did because you’re such a good mom then you are more messed up than I thought.
Is Ruby actually a Sim? How stupid can she get?

Return to “8 Passengers”