Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

Unread post by lmmomSD »

dw30 wrote:I don’t know if this has been mentioned here yet... but during the Daddy of 5 controversy the Eh Bee Family posted a video that really articulated what I believe “Family vloggers” particularly “Christian/Mormon” family vloggers should be emulating.

I really liked how they mentioned that it was healthy for a creators audience to expect & respect a level of accountability when it comes to protecting children’s rights. I must say I have never seen any of the more popular family vloggers express this same sentiment. If you don’t suck up to them 100% than you’re automatically labeled a hater. When from what I gather on these forums most of us are genuinely concerned about the well being of children.

So many times people have commented about safety issues on Bonnie’s vlogs and we’ll usually get a sarcastic comment a week later. I also think she can’t claim her channel is clean, if they can think to change thumbnails and titles to appear actually “clean” than nope just money hungry not clean.

https://youtu.be/1OxFh6NM5KI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I _really_ like them. The kids aren't exploited. They seem to enjoy what they do and have a really good relationship with their parents. And the parents actually said that they think about what the kids will think of what was posted in 15 years. When Olivia is looking for a job, is she going to want her Claire's meltdown on the internet? The mom did a video about how to make a week's worth of healthy school lunches on a budget, because a bunch of kids commented that they eat Lunchables because they are on sale a lot and their parents can't afford healthy food.
Anyway, the EhBee's are what I wish more family vloggers were. They do a lot of charity work as well. The only thing I can say against them right now is that they seem to be taking more vacations just them, without the kids, than most parents. I _hope_ that's not the money starting to get to them, but we'll have to see.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Scar2016 »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:Yeah I'm going to say that anyone making money off of regular videos of their kids is guilty of exploiting them. A child whose parents make a living on YouTube cannot give consent to appearing in videos because they do not truly understand the consequences of being online and may be agreeing only to please their parents. If the parents have ever given their children any rewards for appearing in vlogs (aka paying them for their time) then they're being manipulated and taken advantage of. If the kids have any understanding that this is how their parents make money to support them and buy them nice things, I doubt they'd ever say no.

It's similar to how a student cannot give legal consent to a teacher because even if it was "consensual" there's a power and intimidation factor that has to be taken into account. Children cannot consent to things they do not understand, especially if it means disobeying their parents. In most of these vloggers religions they teach disobedience or questioning parents as a sin.

They all say they wouldn't film if their kids didn't want them to but it's a load of bullshit
It's that classic case of power imbalance that we see and hear about in cases of abuse. To clarify, not saying AT ALL that these YouTube kid's are being abused (Daddy O Five withstanding) or that Bonnie's are/have been. Just that, as RootBeerFloatie has written so lucidly, the consent issue is exactly that: An issue, because minors are involved. And ref the Eh Bee parents, not entirely sure they're any better (or worse) by essentially putting their minor children on the family payroll.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Too late to edit:
I definitely see the point that it's next to impossible to vlog kids and not exploit them. I read an article saying that with some of the channels with older kids, the kids had nagged their parents into it. Which isn't right. The parents shouldn't be nagged into something like that. Their job is to protect their children.

And I agree that family vlogging is in general an exploitive genre. I just happen to like the EhBee's. I think they're hilarious. The daughter's sarcasm reminds me of my son. If they're "junk food for the brain", I guess I like my junk food occasionally. I definitely don't watch every day. But it seems that they actually think about the kids and how this affects them, unlike so many others, who just blithely film and upload, even after their kids have said "don't put this in the vlog".

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

lmmomSD wrote:
dw30 wrote:I don’t know if this has been mentioned here yet... but during the Daddy of 5 controversy the Eh Bee Family posted a video that really articulated what I believe “Family vloggers” particularly “Christian/Mormon” family vloggers should be emulating.

I really liked how they mentioned that it was healthy for a creators audience to expect & respect a level of accountability when it comes to protecting children’s rights. I must say I have never seen any of the more popular family vloggers express this same sentiment. If you don’t suck up to them 100% than you’re automatically labeled a hater. When from what I gather on these forums most of us are genuinely concerned about the well being of children.

So many times people have commented about safety issues on Bonnie’s vlogs and we’ll usually get a sarcastic comment a week later. I also think she can’t claim her channel is clean, if they can think to change thumbnails and titles to appear actually “clean” than nope just money hungry not clean.

I _really_ like them. The kids aren't exploited. They seem to enjoy what they do and have a really good relationship with their parents. And the parents actually said that they think about what the kids will think of what was posted in 15 years. When Olivia is looking for a job, is she going to want her Claire's meltdown on the internet? The mom did a video about how to make a week's worth of healthy school lunches on a budget, because a bunch of kids commented that they eat Lunchables because they are on sale a lot and their parents can't afford healthy food.
Anyway, the EhBee's are what I wish more family vloggers were. They do a lot of charity work as well. The only thing I can say against them right now is that they seem to be taking more vacations just them, without the kids, than most parents. I _hope_ that's not the money starting to get to them, but we'll have to see.

How are they not exploiting their kids as well though? They are making them public figures, and encouraging them to act obnoxious and fake for YT vids. They are making millions of dollars off of their kids, just like the direction Bryan and Missy are heading in.

I just find it so ironic that a lot of the smaller channels (much smaller than Bonnie's) are being demonetized, while the big ones are left to continue on as is, or are being held up as good and wholesome content. I just don't see how these kids aren't also being affected by YT life. I don't think the Claire's video is going to keep Olivia from getting a job, but years worth of obnoxious challenge videos could certainly affect the Eh Bee kids!

*not saying the Claire's vid should have been posted, just that I don't see how one embarrassing video is worse than years of them. It's all fairly exploitative to me, and I don't like that the kid-centric toy channels, or more obnoxious vloggers are going to continue to spew out content for money either.
lalila
Gossiper
Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by lalila »

Still no vlog today.....

They asked their viewers for a favour.... and do not upload? Even if they post a one minute vlog saying "Look we have change our mind, we have to figure out first what is going on, more to come".

But it's not for the money (sarcasm).

Also, I searched quickly and I guess you are right, I couldnt find Lincoln birth vlog?

Still feeling bad for them though as they were obviously thinking of building a house. Must be hard to go from such an exciting project to nothing.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

lalila wrote:Still no vlog today.....

They asked their viewers for a favour.... and do not upload? Even if they post a one minute vlog saying "Look we have change our mind, we have to figure out first what is going on, more to come".

Also, I searched quickly and I guess you are right, I couldnt find Lincoln birth vlog?

Still feeling bad for them though as they were obviously thinking of building a house. Must be hard to go from such an exciting project to nothing.
They could be not posting because they want that video to YT to stay the last video there in case someone goes to check it out. It could also be because they have no good content to show since they are probably all really upset and stressed, and can't exactly talk about it. Their channel is basically on eggshells right now.

I still feel bad for them. It makes no sense to go from no demonetizations, to total, especially when you've had no warning from YT before. It also doesn't seem fair when there are still flagged and reported videos up on other channels. One can hope they will eventually get to it all, but I doubt it. I have the feeling the DB, E&J (etc) fake happy product placement and challenge vids are going to be the new YT norm.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

lalila wrote:Still no vlog today.....

You raise a valid point ref her asking viewers for a favour on their last vlog and then don't do them the common courtesy of keeping them in the loop. It's rude and clearly not a two way, reciprocal 'friendship.' It would take literally 10 seconds to send out a tweet if she's still upset and doesn't want to film.

Btw, how do you know they were 'obviously thinking of building a house?'
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

They were filming ahead and posting on a delayed schedule. So even thought their weekend likely sucked she should have the vlog from the day they posted the sit down video. She even said she had it scheduled to go but changed her mind last minute.
So the no vlog today and no explanation is a pretty crappy way to treat her "friends" and is a pretty big sign that this is solely for the money and they don't care to share if they aren't getting paid.

I wonder if they've heard from someone and know the reason their channel was demonetized? Maybe they're embarasssed and maybe that's why Jared and Bryan feel safe.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

HelloSweetie wrote:
lmmomSD wrote:

How are they not exploiting their kids as well though? They are making them public figures, and encouraging them to act obnoxious and fake for YT vids. They are making millions of dollars off of their kids, just like the direction Bryan and Missy are heading in.

I just find it so ironic that a lot of the smaller channels (much smaller than Bonnie's) are being demonetized, while the big ones are left to continue on as is, or are being held up as good and wholesome content. I just don't see how these kids aren't also being affected by YT life. I don't think the Claire's video is going to keep Olivia from getting a job, but years worth of obnoxious challenge videos could certainly affect the Eh Bee kids!

*not saying the Claire's vid should have been posted, just that I don't see how one embarrassing video is worse than years of them. It's all fairly exploitative to me, and I don't like that the kid-centric toy channels, or more obnoxious vloggers are going to continue to spew out content for money either.
You are right-- I couldn't edit my last post. It is still exploiting their kids. People watched the Vines, and still watch the vlogs, for the kids. And they don't work outside the home. So they are dependent on the vlogs for a living. And that puts pressure on the kids, whether it's overt or not. They bought a nice new house with vlogging money. Not a mansion, but a very nice house. So it's going to put pressure on the kids to continue.
But you like Bonnie, and want her to keep vlogging. So we're all guilty of a bit of a double standard where the creators we like are concerned. Not that any of us want the children exploited, but we want to keep seeing the vloggers we like. So we're feeding into it even though we may not want to.

Funnel Vision was one of the first hit, and they have lots of subscribers. They're huge. So it's not just "smaller channels". I really haven't seen anyone associated with a network speaking about this to the degree that channels like Bonnie's have. So I believe it's the lack of a network that's their issue right now. YouTube is going after the channels without "protection" first--from the way it looks, anyway.

Kaylor1
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Kaylor1 »

They even said in the dear YouTube video that they had a vlog ready to go but they chose to film the sit down talk and upload that one. So the filming and editing are done for that "missed. Day" by not posting it for the fans/friends. No you're not making money but the work has already been done and by the time they get their monetization back that video will be outdated. It would ave at least shown good faith in their words of them actually caring about us. I believe in everything happening for a reason and I truly think this is the push they needed to do something bigger and better with themselves. Start a business or explore other avenues. I truly think Bonnie and Joel will be successful in whatever they choose as for the others in the family YouTube was the only thing they have going for them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

^^^^Oh I've said all along that the child exploitation by vlogging is a tricky subject and that I hate that these babies are born into a lifetime of being used for monetization, but that at the same time I want to watch them.

Here is my issue... if YT is going to institute rules and guidelines then they need to be clear and fair. Keeping them vague just creates loopholes whereby channels and videos can be demonetized with no cause given for some, while others can continue to do the exact same thing with no justification required.

People are thrilled this has happened to Bonnie, but completely unconcerned that her equally guilty (if not moreso) sister is allowed to continue. This is just an example, but what other channels are left up then just because they have a network, or haven't mentioned the word "guns" or showed shooting? Remember, we don't even know that this wasn't a glitch that took the monetization away. I wouldn't exactly say Bonnie was guilty of promoting guns.

I think none of these vloggers NEED to be making money off their children. I have little confidence that most ate putting money away for their kids future, or that the kids are benefitting in any meaningful way. Bonnie was the exception to this for me, because although they did start taking more vacations and things, they at least used the money in a more responsible manner. They afforded all the necessities before, and should be able to again because if anything life should be less expensive for them now. This is far different than any other YT I watch. But yes, they made these decisions off showing their kids publicly, and that in itself is violating their privacy. One could argue that their privacy was already lost when E&J made them public figures, but B&J could have never signed those releases. If filming children for profit becomes a rule across the board I will be happy. I just hate that right now it appears unaffected YTers are being sanctimonious about it, when they aren't exactly innocent themselves.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I don't think anyone is unconcerned that Ellie and Jared haven't been hit by this. And people keep saying that we're "happy" this happened to Bonnie. I was happy it happened to Funnel Vision, because I think he's happy exploiting his kids. He was actually pissed that he can't film his kids in the bathtub anymore. I don't think "happy" is the right word about Bonnie. I guess I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not "happy" it happened to Bonnie-- she is the best of her sisters. I am glad that someone is looking into things, and hopeful that YouTube will change. But I am not _expecting_ much change. Like you said, it's all going to be whitewashed, toy openings and challenge videos.

Most of us have said all along that Ellie and Jared are MUCH worse, and that they should be demonetized if anyone is. I think it's disgusting that with all this going on, they are still posting videos of their kids on the toilet. They seem to be completely unaffected. And that's not fair. And I absolutely agree that the rules need to be straightforward and clear, and the same whether you have a network or not.

Peridot
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Peridot »

"Here is my issue... if YT is going to institute rules and guidelines then they need to be clear and fair. Keeping them vague just creates loopholes whereby channels and videos can be demonetized with no cause given for some, while others can continue to do the exact same thing with no justification required."

This is why I don't understand why Bonnie's channel has been targeted. JHouse has tons of videos showing their injured kids, HeyKayli shows Winston in his underwear every single video, then there's E&J who are guilty of SO many things, and Ruby, etc., etc. They are all guilty of exploitation and invasion of privacy if their own children. They should all be demonitized.

Well, if it takes demonitization to make these "parents" stop the exploitation, then I'm all for it. . .but across the board, not just target a specific channel. They are all guilty.

Their viewers are not their "friends." "We love you guys." No, you don't. Please, give me a break. Money, money, money. . . it's the only reason they started a channel in the first place and the only reason for ALL family vloggers.
polly9033
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by polly9033 »

I used to look forward to Bonnie and Joel's videos. It was disappointing today that they didn't post on schedule, and I don't think that's fair to their fans.

In the least, can't they be honest and just communicate a short video message that announces they are not going to be posting -- or a Tweet, or something??? I feel kind of fooled by them.

I felt bad that they got demonetized, but the fans didn't do that to them. We expressed our support of them, and this is our thanks???

If they return to YouTube, I won't be watching the Bonnie Hoellein channel again because of this.

Bad things happen to good people all the time, and it's not fair BUT it's the way people handle bumps in the road that reveals their true character. The failure to post a video or tweet or some communication today knowing many of their faithful followers and fans were waiting....well, that shows you what they think of their fan base.

I'm done with the Bonnie Hoellein channel, and I will not be back to watch them should they return. They showed their true colors. It's ONLY about the money!!!!!!!
AutumnLane
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by AutumnLane »

Good! Now Joel can go back to his old job and Bonnie will go back to just filming for the fun of it and documenting memories. They were such a breath of fresh air back then.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Show me someone who never gossips, and I'll show you someone who isn't interested in people. ~Barbara Walters
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

polly9033 wrote:I used to look forward to Bonnie and Joel's videos. It was disappointing today that they didn't post on schedule, and I don't think that's fair to their fans.

In the least, can't they be honest and just communicate a short video message that announces they are not going to be posting -- or a Tweet, or something??? I feel kind of fooled by them.

I felt bad that they got demonetized, but the fans didn't do that to them. We expressed our support of them, and this is our thanks???

If they return to YouTube, I won't be watching the Bonnie Hoellein channel again because of this.

Bad things happen to good people all the time, and it's not fair BUT it's the way people handle bumps in the road that reveals their true character. The failure to post a video or tweet or some communication today knowing many of their faithful followers and fans were waiting....well, that shows you what they think of their fan base.

I'm done with the Bonnie Hoellein channel, and I will not be back to watch them should they return. They showed their true colors. It's ONLY about the money!!!!!!!
I will be inclined to agree if they don't post/Tweet/IG at all today. Letting people know what is going on is just commin courtesy, and I've criticized Cullen for this before, and Bonnie won't get a pass. It's fine if she doesn't want to upload, but she needs to inform the viewers of that. At this point the vlog is just late, and they could post later. Maybe they are finding something out today?
Peridot
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Peridot »

It will be a very foolish move if they don't post today.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Ugh. That was a typo in my above post. I know how to spell "common."

Speaking of spelling though, does anyone follow Chad and Jennifer on IG? Yikes!
polly9033
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by polly9033 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
I will be inclined to agree if they don't post/Tweet/IG at all today. Letting people know what is going on is just common courtesy, and I've criticized Cullen for this before, and Bonnie won't get a pass. It's fine if she doesn't want to upload, but she needs to inform the viewers of that. At this point the vlog is just late, and they could post later. Maybe they are finding something out today?
I hope you're correct, HelloSweetie, and I agree that it's probably better to give them to the end of the day.

If Bonnie and several of these other vlogging families were to look around them and see all they have (new homes, cars and/or home renovations, etc., etc.), and if they truly looked at where those things came from....well, it's ALL OF US, the viewers, that contributed to their "stuff" because we took the time to watch, subscribe and follow their videos. I hope they are not that ungrateful. To go silent is no way to treat their fans, or even their critics because even critics contributed by watching their videos.

They can be mad at YouTube, but they should not take it out on their fans. Give us a proper goodbye or update/status -- OR simply let us know that a video is coming or won't be coming. I'm not the only one who went in today to get their morning video as I would every other weekday morning, and it's disappointing to see nothing posted. I don't expect them to do this for free, but I agree 100% with you, HelloSweetie. It's common courtesy to let people know.
AutumnLane
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by AutumnLane »

I highly doubt they will continue daily vlogs anymore. It's not like they are getting paid so they probably don't see any point in putting in the effort. I think she was onto something when she said she didn't think her channel would go back to the way it was. YouTube just can't seem to keep up with all these vlog channels anymore. So they're looking for every excuse to cut people off from the gravy train. They were irresponsible when they had Joel quit his full-time job. They should've at least put him down to part time. Instead of saving they were spending money on lavish vacations and renovations. Now here we are a few weeks away from Christmas and basically they're both jobless. Who are the ones to suffer? Those children. Not only will it be tough financially for a while but the kids will lose all the perks and fun of being daily vloggers. Just a year or so ago they were doing fine living off of one income. They will be just as fine again once Joel finds a new job. It could be worse. They have a beautiful home, healthy children, reliable transportation and family nearby. That's what's most important.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Show me someone who never gossips, and I'll show you someone who isn't interested in people. ~Barbara Walters

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”