Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

Unread post by lmmomSD »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:I wonder how long it will be before youtube cracks down on the content and not just the title/thumbnail? Bonnie clearly has plans to continue sharing the same things she was, because she has no problem exploiting her kids for a dollar, she just wont use it in a thumbnail.
Is that why they are hiring people to go through the vlogs? So that eventually content can be scanned as well as the thumbnail and title? I hope so, because changing the title and thumbnail doesn't remove all the exploitation. If they're still filming their kids in distress, it's still using them.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
priestess
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by priestess »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:I wonder how long it will be before youtube cracks down on the content and not just the title/thumbnail? Bonnie clearly has plans to continue sharing the same things she was, because she has no problem exploiting her kids for a dollar, she just wont use it in a thumbnail.
yeah, they need to start defining what constitutes as illicit content, and what does the definition include? is a "child" 18 and below, or 13 and below? are they going to start requiring signed parental permission in order for kids to be on screen? do they have to receive assent from the child in order to be on screen? are creators going to need to blur children's faces if they are in a public area? until then, it seems like creators are believe that it's just the thumbnail youtube cares about and will do whatever they like within the video
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Bonnie and Joel: Pack-Cacking it | Part 13

Unread post by GymChick »

They are deleting all the bad comments. Or each comment is being reviewed before placed as public. Must suck to have to sit on your computer and monitor every comment. If you go to comments and sort as top comment there are over 500 comments but if you sort as newest first there is only 400 something. And I used a totally different account to test it the theory, and my comment wouldn’t show up incognito.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
snkjdgs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snkjdgs »

Today's video made me very uncomfortable and disgusted. It is ALL about the vast money they have been making. They are very worried that their gravy train will be drying up sooner versus later. For them to have needed so much emotional and physical support to get through this tells me that they are not in a financially good place if they cannot even get through one week without a YouTube paycheck. A few other obdervations:
* The kids did not know what to do while they were filming which tells me that they historically have been very scripted and coached how to act and what to say. Even Lincoln seemed a bit lost and was looking to Bonnie as to what to say and do next.
* Bonnie and Joel looked very uncomfortable not being able to use their kids as props.
* I think they are going to have a hard time adjusting to not "using" their kids in the videos. The videos are also going to become very boring. They are already asking viewers for content ideas that do not focus on the kids.
* As others mentioned we will be seeing a lot more in boxing and how to videos and branding deals.
* I watch their channel because of the kids. I think they are adorable, especially Lincoln and Boston. I do not see me watching it the videos if they become more aboabout Joel and Bonnie.
* NNext years 3 of their kids will be in school. What will they vlog?
* They are panicked about even the remote possibility that they may have to go back to a normal life, where Joel actually has to get a normal job.
snkjdgs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snkjdgs »

They will just not monetize videos that YouTube does not like because Bonnirme knows those videos will help keep viewers and subscribers to her channel who in turn will then watch the monetized videos. That is why she does not want to take them down.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

snkjdgs wrote:Today's video made me very uncomfortable and disgusted. It is ALL about the vast money they have been making. They are very worried that their gravy train will be drying up sooner versus later. For them to have needed so much emotional and physical support to get through this tells me that they are not in a financially good place if they cannot even get through one week without a YouTube paycheck. A few other obdervations:
* The kids did not know what to do while they were filming which tells me that they historically have been very scripted and coached how to act and what to say. Even Lincoln seemed a bit lost and was looking to Bonnie as to what to say and do next.
* Bonnie and Joel looked very uncomfortable not being able to use their kids as props.
* I think they are going to have a hard time adjusting to not "using" their kids in the videos. The videos are also going to become very boring. They are already asking viewers for content ideas that do not focus on the kids.
* As others mentioned we will be seeing a lot more in boxing and how to videos and branding deals.
* I watch their channel because of the kids. I think they are adorable, especially Lincoln and Boston. I do not see me watching it the videos if they become more aboabout Joel and Bonnie.
* They are panicked about even the remote possibility that they may have to go back to a normal life, where Joel actually has to get a normal job.

Exactly!!! Some here have speculated that B&J would have been smart enough to have substantial savings and be fine for MONTHS, yet they cant go a week? If they had decent savings a week off work, albeit unpaid, would be nothing. My husband and I don't make near what B&J have been said to make, yet we could survive a week unpaid.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

gymchick43 wrote:They are deleting all the bad comments. Or each comment is being reviewed before placed as public. Must suck to have to sit on your computer and monitor every comment. If you go to comments and sort as top comment there are over 500 comments but if you sort as newest first there is only 400 something. And I used a totally different account to test it the theory, and my comment wouldn’t show up incognito.

Actually realized the comments aren’t showing up because there are words that are blocked but not sure which words

WheresMyCoffee
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by WheresMyCoffee »

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:
snkjdgs wrote:Today's video made me very uncomfortable and disgusted. It is ALL about the vast money they have been making. They are very worried that their gravy train will be drying up sooner versus later. For them to have needed so much emotional and physical support to get through this tells me that they are not in a financially good place if they cannot even get through one week without a YouTube paycheck. A few other obdervations:

Exactly!!! Some here have speculated that B&J would have been smart enough to have substantial savings and be fine for MONTHS, yet they cant go a week? If they had decent savings a week off work, albeit unpaid, would be nothing. My husband and I don't make near what B&J have been said to make, yet we could survive a week unpaid.
Hmm.. I dont know. Just my opinion but I think they were juist pissed because they are so entitled. Like they could survive without the money but HOW DARE youtube not understand how fucking important they are.
Like I imagine they told everyone so everyone could tweet/email YT and then they were like "see? see how many people will boycott youtube unless they monetize us again"
snkjdgs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snkjdgs »

Their Clickbait Titles must have been a big issue. I just looked through a few recent videos and it appears to me that many if not most of the titles have been changed to be very generic. Thumbnails may have been changed also.
priestess
Talker
Talker

Unread post by priestess »

they'll just have another kid! simple as that. sam & nia had juliet as a band aid baby after he cheated on her. B&J will have another kid as a band aid baby for the viewers. it'll attract more viewers & keep them occupied. they would probably also have to shop around for another house because the family would become too big for the house they're currently in, so that's more content for them. i also don't think they have issues with taking their kids out of school for long periods of time; they went to hawaii for a month & took olivia out of school during that time.
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

priestess wrote:
snkjdgs wrote:
they'll just have another kid! simple as that. sam & nia had juliet as a band aid baby after he cheated on her. B&J will have another kid as a band aid baby for the viewers. it'll attract more viewers & keep them occupied. they would probably also have to shop around for another house because the family would become too big for the house they're currently in, so that's more content for them. i also don't think they have issues with taking their kids out of school for long periods of time; they went to hawaii for a month & took olivia out of school during that time.
I think this is far off. If anything, they are going to be more motivated to get some side investments going. I don't see them building a new house just to attract viewers when the aren't hurting for money, and didn't lose any viewers. This sounds more like Ellie and Jared than something Bonnie and Joel would do to me.
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

There are two separate issues going on right now, and I think people are misconstruing what Bonnie is (poorly) trying to say. I belong to a creator group, and everyone has been sharing information over the last few days, so maybe I can add a little insight into what's happening.

Youtube hit Bonnie's channel in particular (from what she said) because of the embarrassing, traumatized kid footage and the clickbait used to market those videos. They ALSO have had to pull down videos that have content inappropriate for CHILD VIEWERS (birth vlog, guns, politics, war memorials, 'hot topic' current events opinion, etc). This is why she keeps comparing her "family channel" to Philip Defranco's "adult one." PD can't post video in his video of a child being hurt or exploited without being demonetized either, but he can talk about the adult content. As a family channel, Bonnie can no longer do this. It's possible this is a trap she has put herself in by originally labelling her channel as such. As much as Ellie and Jared may pander to the child audience, they started out as an "adult channel" talking about infertility. Until the 10k new content auditors start going through videos manually, it's really up to the audience to flag videos that may be a threat to children. Even so, they aren't going to be able to screen them all.

Someone else asked if the content was ok for YT and if the thumbs were the only issue. Clickbait is not ok, but some of the content is. How Bonnie showed Boston's head today is fine. She didn't film in the moment, and didn't run at him with the camera. It wasn't the focus of the vlog and not used to bring in views. Vloggers were taking clips like that and editing the thumbnails to look gross and extreme, with titles like CRACKED HIS HEAD OPEN! Youtube has had enough of that. Vloggers can still talk about what has happened with their family, as long as the child is not being put in an uncomfortable or undesirable position. We can certainly argue that any child that is being logged is being exploited and put in an undesirable position, but that's not YT's stance at this current point. As far as YT criteria likely goes, Bonnie's channel is now what they consider CLEAN. Now as for the vlogs that still have inappropriate content in them if there are any, then this really comes down to reporting. YT has made this easier to do, and now allows you to be more detailed about what you're flagging it for. There are also bots that read the captioned text of the audio and can pick out trigger words, but there are too many YT vids for it to be likely that they will go back and catch them all. From the creators I know though, it sounds like when a channel is under appeal, they do take a hard look at it. My guess is they made Bonnie remove anything and everything they found concerning. Getting monetization back generally doesn't happen. She is really very lucky. If she doesn't branch out and start coming up with a plan for after YT though, then she's a naive moron who deserves what might happen next time.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

^^^ I have said this forever about the channels that try to attract a child audience. I think it's highly inappropriate for any family vlogs to appear on the YT Kids app. There is just no way to regulate the content, and I don't in any way think it's appropriate for children to be watching TTC talk.
snkjdgs
Talker
Talker

Unread post by snkjdgs »

BadWolf wrote: "Getting monetization back generally doesn't happen. She is really very lucky."

BadWolf - Do you have any speculation of why or how she got so lucky, when most others do not get their monetization back?
Vlog4money
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Vlog4money »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:Yeah it's pretty clear that they haven't learned anything and have no regard for their kids, only their wallets. She really had some people beliving she was truly sorry, but it's obvious now that her tears weren't shed for her kids. They've turned into money making props for their parents to bully and take advantage of. It's such a shame because they're all great kids and they don't deserve this.
And when they can't be used for making money they are banished to the basement. Today's video really made me sad for her kids; I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt yesterday, but her attitude today proved that she learned nothing from this experience. Further, if missing a few days of monitization on their videos, forced them to take a brand deal, this is not a viable way to support a family. What is the message to their kids? We got caught exploiting your misfortune and have to clean it up, go down to the basement with Bree. Oh and all of the fun things we were going to do over the holiday...well, now we have to take a brand deal to pay for the missed income. Don't worry we will take Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off to spend with you. Of course, we will be filming you opening all of your gifts because that's how we pay for them.
BadWolf
Talker
Talker

Unread post by BadWolf »

snkjdgs wrote:BadWolf wrote: "Getting monetization back generally doesn't happen. She is really very lucky."

BadWolf - Do you have any speculation of why or how she got so lucky, when most others do not get their monetization back?
Obviously I don't know for sure, but I think she was able to get it back for two main reasons.

1. She was able to actually speak to a representative for YT about the issue and plead her case!

2. After review, they must have found that her intention was not to be sinister or inflict malice on her children or the viewers. There is a big difference between filming something that has happened to your child, and setting up or suggesting that something has happened to them. It's possible that as the "bad apples" are weeded out though, that the definition of "exploitative" will become more restrictive however, and that her channel could be hit again. By definition she clean now, but if the rules change even just a little bit, then she may not be. They will be watching for compliance thats for sure.

Bonnie's channel may be by definition a "family channel" but the reality is that her audience is largely mom-based. This is pretty apparent in the sponsors she attracts, the comments she receives, and based off her social media as well. This puts her in a different position than say Daily Bumps, who have a mostly child audience with tons of videos on the YT Kids app. They have a lot to worry about it YT starts going through their old videos (not their newer ones because that's what YT wants).

Really though, even the creators don't know what the heck is going on. That's why everyone has been comparing notes! If Bonnie did do a video explaining what she learned for other creators, that would be a huge help to the community. Unfortunately, I'm not sure she's clear enough on it yet. I think Joel would probably be a better one to do it in all honesty.
Theirmom
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Theirmom »

HelloSweetie wrote:^^^ I have said this forever about the channels that try to attract a child audience. I think it's highly inappropriate for any family vlogs to appear on the YT Kids app. There is just no way to regulate the content, and I don't in any way think it's appropriate for children to be watching TTC talk.
Yep. I’m done even trying to appear “kid friendly”. I’m going through all my tags right now and removing anything that could even accidentally put me on YouTube Kids.
Yeah, my kids are in my vlogs. If we’re doing something kid-centred (Santa pictures, family game night, etc) they might even be in the thumbnail. But it’s not a “family” vlog the way some of these vloggers do it. It’s mainly me and my husband, and the kids are in the periphery.

I don’t want to have to censor myself because kids might watch. I want to talk about my bad bipolar days, my eating disorder, meds I’m taking and their side effects. And I also don’t want to never have my kids in the vlog, because that wouldn’t be realistic either.
Yeah, I want monetization. I’m not even going to try to say it’s only for the memories. But I’m not going to compromise the “realness” of my vlogs either.

Bonnie should have done the same thing. She’s going to sacrifice her biggest draw. Her candidness and realness. She could have just embraced being a channel for adults. But there is far more money in advertising to children.
:roll:
menehune
Informer
Informer

Unread post by menehune »

Vlog4money wrote:
RootBeerFloatie wrote:Yeah it's pretty clear that they haven't learned anything and have no regard for their kids, only their wallets. She really had some people beliving she was truly sorry, but it's obvious now that her tears weren't shed for her kids. They've turned into money making props for their parents to bully and take advantage of. It's such a shame because they're all great kids and they don't deserve this.
And when they can't be used for making money they are banished to the basement. Today's video really made me sad for her kids; I was willing to give her the benefit of the doubt yesterday, but her attitude today proved that she learned nothing from this experience. Further, if missing a few days of monitization on their videos, forced them to take a brand deal, this is not a viable way to support a family. What is the message to their kids? We got caught exploiting your misfortune and have to clean it up, go down to the basement with Bree. Oh and all of the fun things we were going to do over the holiday...well, now we have to take a brand deal to pay for the missed income. Don't worry we will take Christmas Eve and Christmas Day off to spend with you. Of course, we will be filming you opening all of your gifts because that's how we pay for them.
Lol. The bigger kids were in school. This was yesterday based off Ellie's clothing. Boston, Jackson and Calvin were playing in the basement while everyone worked on that stupid cookbook. They were fine and not at all "banished to the basement." Lincoln was sitting at the table eating like he usually does for most of the vlog! We never see the kids much when the Griffiths are all together.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

menehune wrote:
Vlog4money wrote:
Lol. The bigger kids were in school. This was yesterday based off Ellie's clothing. Boston, Jackson and Calvin were playing in the basement while everyone worked on that stupid cookbook. They were fine and not at all "banished to the basement." Lincoln was sitting at the table eating like he usually does for most of the vlog! We never see the kids much when the Griffiths are all together.

Except Bonnie made a comment about how lucky Lincoln was to be there eating, and how they had been in the basement with Bree, and how she HAD to pick up a brand deal and wouldn't spend as much time with the kids as she planned but they would take time Christmas eve and Christmas day....those kids were definitely sent to the basement. Bonnie herself said she told Bree to keep them downstairs and to keep them quiet. Also, Bonnie was working on her channel, that's why her mom was there, Bonnie didn't get her share of the cook book work done because she was focusing on getting her channel "clean".
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

So tomorrow when the kids are shown more you guys won't be saying they are using them for money now that they have their monetization back?

I doubt that.

All the kids' toys are in the basement. If Bonnie wasn't working on the cookbook, then Jackson and Calvin and Ellie didn't even need to be there. It doesn't matter whether Bonnie and Joel were working on the channel, or the cookbook. They were WORKING and not neglecting their kids. They at least had someone they watching them. Where is this same criticism when Jackson and Calvin are alone in the basement in 90% of E&J's vlogs with no one watching?

There's enough to hate on about the exploitation without acting like they are banishing their children

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”