C&K: Same Story, Different Day. Part #16

RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: C&K: Same Story, Different Day. Part #16

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

I guess every few months they'll post a vlog talking about how they're struggling, get a lot of positive comments, and then never mention it again. Now any criticism will be met with "but they're depressed!!!" and they'll continue without any lifestyle changes. I really get the feeling that they don't like each other at all anymore.

I've been dealing with major depression since I was in middle school. It sucks, but I don't get to call out from work or sleep all day. I don't have those luxuries. They need to quit youtube, get jobs, get routines, and they'll see an immediate change in their mental health. Laziness, boredom, and depression feed on each other. If they're just going to whine about their lives and their marriage every month without trying to fix anything then they've got no sympathy from me.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:I guess every few months they'll post a vlog talking about how they're struggling, get a lot of positive comments, and then never mention it again. Now any criticism will be met with "but they're depressed!!!" and they'll continue without any lifestyle changes. I really get the feeling that they don't like each other at all anymore.

I've been dealing with major depression since I was in middle school. It sucks, but I don't get to call out from work or sleep all day. I don't have those luxuries. They need to quit youtube, get jobs, get routines, and they'll see an immediate change in their mental health. Laziness, boredom, and depression feed on each other. If they're just going to whine about their lives and their marriage every month without trying to fix anything then they've got no sympathy from me.
Yep. So many vloggers (or SAHMs!) become depressed or unfulfilled because they are isolated and bored. I’m sorry, but if staying at home isn’t good for you, make changes! I don’t particularly enjoy my part time job, but I recognize that I need to get out of the house a few hrs a week and be around other adults and use my brain. like lmmomsd said, why not at least volunteer? It seems like they drop the kids off at care and then go home and nap! Maybe if they cleaned and organized the house instead it would help?But they had all these problems and just attended church counselling? Hmmmm.

Maybe I’ve just been watching E&J for too long, but both of them coming out with depression seem a bit gimmicky to me. We know they aren’t going to make any changes. I for one am not going to excuse their behaviour on depression from this point forward. It does effect the kids, and something needs to be done now that they are apparently so self aware.

And Katie had PPD but it sure didn’t stop them from house hunting! (Or start partying more often Image) Sounds like they definitely thought a new house would make them happy, and are not realizing they have extra bills and just more problems. There is a difference between clinical depression, PPD and just being in a rut. Sorry, but I don’t think C&K deserve as much sympathy (and credit) as people are giving them. We are talking about two lazy, obnoxious and entitled YTers here.... not anyone else with depression.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by GymChick »

HelloSweetie wrote:
RootBeerFloatie wrote:I guess every few months they'll post a vlog talking about how they're struggling, get a lot of positive comments, and then never mention it again. Now any criticism will be met with "but they're depressed!!!" and they'll continue without any lifestyle changes. I really get the feeling that they don't like each other at all anymore.

Yep. So many vloggers (or SAHMs!) become depressed or unfulfilled because they are isolated and bored. I’m sorry, but if staying at home isn’t good for you, make changes! I don’t particularly enjoy my part time job, but I recognize that I need to get out of the house a few hrs a week and be around other adults and use my brain. like lmmomsd said, why not at least volunteer? It seems like they drop the kids off at care and then go home and nap! Maybe if they cleaned and organized the house instead it would help?But they had all these problems and just attended church counselling? Hmmmm.

Maybe I’ve just been watching E&J for too long, but both of them coming out with depression seem a bit gimmicky to me. We know they aren’t going to make any changes. I for one am not going to excuse their behaviour on depression from this point forward. It does effect the kids, and something needs to be done now that they are apparently so self aware.

And Katie had PPD but it sure didn’t stop them from house hunting! (Or start partying more often Image) Sounds like they definitely thought a new house would make them happy, and are not realizing they have extra bills and just more problems. There is a difference between clinical depression, PPD and just being in a rut. Sorry, but I don’t think C&K deserve as much sympathy (and credit) as people are giving them. We are talking about two lazy, obnoxious and entitled YTers here.... not anyone else with depression.

Yes exactly, a lot of the time people don’t even realize that’s what they need. Ok my year long maternity leave I def struggled with motivation, wanted to stay Unshowered in my sweats all day with the baby. I got pretty down without even knowing it. When back to work full time and was honestly dreading it....again I didn’t know/in denial that I was fully depressed and unmotivated... but that first week I realized how much energy I had all of a sudden! How much brighter my attitude was, how much more I was getting done despite working out of home. It was a game changer. Responsibilities, a job that forces you to use your brain really helps for those of us who tend to procrastinate when we can set our own schedules. I’m going off in a year again in the spring for baby #2....I already have ideas to keep me on a schedule with a 3 yo + baby. registering for library time once weekly, season passes to all the museums, going to early years centres...ect. I’m going to force myself to treat me year off like a job, schedule everything even my lazy days off in hopes to avoid depression this time around.

askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

HelloSweetie wrote:

I’m with you. Once Katie started claiming PPD on Twitter, it all became a whole lot less genuine. Anyone care to go back and watch her post partum/Brooks updates on KOTFS and see if she mentioned anything? I feel like I remember her claiming the opposite and that everything was hunky dory.

If they go get professional help and see them making changes I’ll be more sympathetic, but I’ll hold off on feeling too sorry for them for now.

Baconsgirl

Unread post by Baconsgirl »

beautynoob wrote:Unpopular thoughts here:
- yes he was so real so open blah blah but what bugs me is that right before he cut to that, they were once again pretending all was fine and loving date night. For the “most real” vloggers they sure put on a show a lot. That has to be too much pressure and it does not help their problems.
- they’ve had so many we are real , this is it and we are changing vlogs that end up with nothing else said or changed that I am hoping this time cullen gets help and follows through on healing.
- announcing ppd after Cullen’s reveal makes me feel like they’re trying to one up each other. Wouldn’t it have made more sense for both of them to talk about it at the same time? Why would she do that on Twitter after he’s gotten so many positive and encouraging comments?

I don’t know maybe I’m just reading too much into things. I do hope they work on their mental health first and turn things around

I was kinda was trying to say last night I thought she was trying to one up him but I didn’t want to seem rude since mental illness is serious.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

C&K: Same Story, Different Day. Part #16

This is an interesting video Shane Dawson made a year ago talking about why most YTers are sad. It definitely fits DB, E&J, C&K....

https://youtu.be/L2sBwFa_JFQ

beautynoob
Talker
Talker

Unread post by beautynoob »

Baconsgirl wrote:
beautynoob wrote:Unpopular thoughts here:
- yes he was so real so open blah blah but what bugs me is that right before he cut to that, they were once again pretending all was fine and loving date night. For the “most real” vloggers they sure put on a show a lot. That has to be too much pressure and it does not help their problems.
- they’ve had so many we are real , this is it and we are changing vlogs that end up with nothing else said or changed that I am hoping this time cullen gets help and follows through on healing.
- announcing ppd after Cullen’s reveal makes me feel like they’re trying to one up each other. Wouldn’t it have made more sense for both of them to talk about it at the same time? Why would she do that on Twitter after he’s gotten so many positive and encouraging comments?

I don’t know maybe I’m just reading too much into things. I do hope they work on their mental health first and turn things around

I was kinda was trying to say last night I thought she was trying to one up him but I didn’t want to seem rude since mental illness is serious.

I understand and I didn’t want to be rude either. I guess it just didn’t seem all genuine, both the timing, the way she tweeted after, etc. It will be interesting what their next few blog titles will be since someone mentioned the view on this one were better than their usual vlogs.

Off topic/personal:
I had a hysterectomy last year (at 35) and while I never wanted kids, having the choice taken away messed up with my brain. It was a very complex case and I had a very long recovery. Out of work for 3 months, hormones out of whack, being at home and stewing in my own thoughts had me in a rut and not being my usual self. I couldn’t have “faked” hunky dory for a vlog or anything. I realize everyone is different. I felt my whole personality change, I have a great support system ( they say me down and talked rather than pretended everything was great), I sought a therapist got on medication and almost a year out I can look back and realize how bad things were getting.
I hope he/they can do the same.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

askeptichere wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:

I’m with you. Once Katie started claiming PPD on Twitter, it all became a whole lot less genuine. Anyone care to go back and watch her post partum/Brooks updates on KOTFS and see if she mentioned anything? I feel like I remember her claiming the opposite and that everything was hunky dory.

If they go get professional help and see them making changes I’ll be more sympathetic, but I’ll hold off on feeling too sorry for them for now.

That's exactly what I meant. I'm glad that he's talking about it, but they've talked before. And nothing changes. And is he diagnosing himself? Has he been to someone who has told him he's clinically depressed? Bryan did the same thing, saying in a tweet that he "struggles with anxiety and depression" and everyone was wringing their hands and feeling bad for him. There's a difference between being bummed out and dissatisfied with your life, and being clinically depressed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

Now this just seems more attention grabbing then anything. If either one of them truly is depressed I hope they seek professional help.
But Katie posting that tweet? Why didn’t you just join your husband in his little vlog confessional? We all know you were home, neither of you go anywhere without the other.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

I'm glad Cullen has opened up and is being open with his depression. I've talked about it since it happened but he has not really dealt with his fathers death, and i do think that he has been severely depressed since his father passed. I hope that they take this and actually get REAL help for it, open up about the struggles, show people that mental illness isn't something to be ashamed of. If they are both depressed, they really need to go to a professional and get some counseling and possibly some medications. Either way i hope this doesn't just stop with this confession and nothing more is said. They have a platform that could help others who are struggling...
I do, 100% think that Katie had some pretty bad PPD after Brooks was born, i know others have brought it up as well, and i remember her saying several times that she was going to make a PP update with Brooks and it never happened. Sounds like it did happen but she just didn't have the courage to post it. I hope now that she has fully admitted that she was struggling that she will have the courage to post it, and include an update as to how she is feeling now and what steps they are going to take together to get though this time.

Also, this is petty, but hopefully since the end of the vlog yesterday was "real time" does that mean we will be back on schedule with vlogs? I hope so...
askeptichere
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by askeptichere »

Playsinrain wrote:I'm glad Cullen has opened up and is being open with his depression. I've talked about it since it happened but he has not really dealt with his fathers death, and i do think that he has been severely depressed since his father passed. I hope that they take this and actually get REAL help for it, open up about the struggles, show people that mental illness isn't something to be ashamed of. If they are both depressed, they really need to go to a professional and get some counseling and possibly some medications. Either way i hope this doesn't just stop with this confession and nothing more is said. They have a platform that could help others who are struggling...
I do, 100% think that Katie had some pretty bad PPD after Brooks was born, i know others have brought it up as well, and i remember her saying several times that she was going to make a PP update with Brooks and it never happened. Sounds like it did happen but she just didn't have the courage to post it. I hope now that she has fully admitted that she was struggling that she will have the courage to post it, and include an update as to how she is feeling now and what steps they are going to take together to get though this time.

Also, this is petty, but hopefully since the end of the vlog yesterday was "real time" does that mean we will be back on schedule with vlogs? I hope so...
I hope this gets them back on a normal schedule as well.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

askeptichere wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:I'm glad Cullen has opened up and is being open with his depression. I've talked about it since it happened but he has not really dealt with his fathers death, and i do think that he has been severely depressed since his father passed. I hope that they take this and actually get REAL help for it, open up about the struggles, show people that mental illness isn't something to be ashamed of. If they are both depressed, they really need to go to a professional and get some counseling and possibly some medications. Either way i hope this doesn't just stop with this confession and nothing more is said. They have a platform that could help others who are struggling...

I hope this gets them back on a normal schedule as well.
Bet it doesn’t. If anything, I bet they use it to justify being even flakier.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Just rewatched and I’m sorry, but it sounds like their marriage is the problem and not depression. Cullen says he thinks he “COULD have a bit of depression going on.” That is way different than having a formal diagnosis of clinical depression. The problem is with his life right now, and I don’t see things getting better as long as Katie wants to maintain the status quo.... which I 100% think she does. She’s the one that has been fairly shameless in whining and complaining and then saying she isn’t. She said in the vlog that they hadn’t vlogged all day because they had to organize because their life is crazy busy. She knew that vlog hadn’t ended, and yet left Cullen to figure it out himself.

I get that people are going to hope for things to get better, but I don’t see it if they aren’t even real enough to sit down with one another and vlog how they are feeling.

And I 100% agree that he just added his dad in after the fact. He repeatedly says it’s he kids, car and house. Which, by the way, how is a new car so stressful? Only if you don’t have the means to pay for it!

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:Just rewatched and I’m sorry, but it sounds like their marriage is the problem and not depression. Cullen says he thinks he “COULD have a bit of depression going on.” That is way different than having a formal diagnosis of clinical depression. The problem is with his life right now, and I don’t see things getting better as long as Katie wants to maintain the status quo.... which I 100% think she does. She’s the one that has been fairly shameless in whining and complaining and then saying she isn’t. She said in the vlog that they hadn’t vlogged all day because they had to organize because their life is crazy busy. She knew that vlog hadn’t ended, and yet left Cullen to figure it out himself.

I get that people are going to hope for things to get better, but I don’t see it if they aren’t even real enough to sit down with one another and vlog how they are feeling.

And I 100% agree that he just added his dad in after the fact. He repeatedly says it’s he kids, car and house. Which, by the way, how is a new car so stressful? Only if you don’t have the means to pay for it!

He did say that they were planning on sitting down together in the future to discuss things. I hope they both get professional help.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

^^^ yeah, but he also said maybe they should do it in a podcast. How can they be truly honest with one another knowing everyone is listening?

He also made a comment that they needed to return to the people they used to be so that they could find those old feeling again. He never said they love each other. I think it’s bad, and I don’t think it’s all Cullen’s fault. If anything, I think he’s feeling more pressure to fix it.

ewokfan11
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by ewokfan11 »

HelloSweetie wrote:^^^ yeah, but he also said maybe they should do it in a podcast. How can they be truly honest with one another knowing everyone is listening?

He also made a comment that they needed to return to the people they used to be so that they could find those old feeling again. He never said they love each other. I think it’s bad, and I don’t think it’s all Cullen’s fault. If anything, I think he’s feeling more pressure to fix it.
Yeah, I call BS on most of his "problems." They obviously have $$$$$ issues and their income from YT/SM is obviously shrinking. I think he's "depressed" he's not popular anymore and not making enough money to pay for the lifestyle they want people to believe they can afford.

The idea of doing a podcast to discuss their issues???? FFS, he can't be serious. Why on earth would anyone want to listen to them vent about each other on a podcast?? Get a therapist!

I feel bad for Cullen AND Katie - for being really stupid! They seem to have thought they were the next ShayTards - Cullen even quoted Shay in the vlog - but they aren't and they need to realize that before they lose everything financially. Can they really afford that house and the new car?? Probably not.
100midas
Informer
Informer

Unread post by 100midas »

The podcast comment made me roll my eyes as well. Seriously, you're having marriage issues and you think broadcasting them to thousands of people will help somehow?! I don't get it.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Quoting Shay? Dear God. If he's bummed, it's because Bryan is raking it in, and he's been doing it at least as long and their channel is floundering.
"I think I might have a little depression" is NOT a diagnosis. And I don't buy the "crazy busy" story.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HelloSweetie wrote:^^^ yeah, but he also said maybe they should do it in a podcast. How can they be truly honest with one another knowing everyone is listening?

I highly doubt that the ONLY conversation they will have about the issues is on a vlog or podcast. If they feel like sharing their struggles and want to talk about the elephant in the room then more power too them. I agree that vlogging/podcasting a conversation is NOT going to fix the issues, but if they want to talk about it together, and publicly then great.
They 110% need to see medical professionals and get a real diagnosis, medications if needed and some serious therapy.
I don’t think Cullen is claiming to be diagnosed with depression, or even come off as having been given a diagnosis. I think he’s just publicly admitting that he thinks he has depression and needs help. This is a good first step, IF he will take it seriously and follow through with some real medical help. Don’t take a page out of Shay’s book and think if you smile more you will just get over it. Clearly putting on a happy face and goofy persona have not helped Cullen. I hope they get help Bc I’m worried about their mental state, and if they want this marriage to work, they have to “break down” and realize that sometimes you can’t do it on your own, and that there is zero shame in that.
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

ewokfan11 wrote:

Yeah, I call BS on most of his "problems." They obviously have $$$$$ issues and their income from YT/SM is obviously shrinking. I think he's "depressed" he's not popular anymore and not making enough money to pay for the lifestyle they want people to believe they can afford.

The idea of doing a podcast to discuss their issues???? FFS, he can't be serious. Why on earth would anyone want to listen to them vent about each other on a podcast?? Get a therapist!

I feel bad for Cullen AND Katie - for being really stupid! They seem to have thought they were the next ShayTards - Cullen even quoted Shay in the vlog - but they aren't and they need to realize that before they lose everything financially. Can they really afford that house and the new car?? Probably not.
The whole reason Cullen got into YouTube is because he saw Shay doing it and thought all he had to do was upload a video. He didn’t have any real plans of putting in the work. He thought it would be easy money and spent years doing the bare minimum. I think they both assumed that once they started growing, the growth would continue.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”