• Advertisement

A Tutorial on How to Post Photos for Everyone to See

Current Site News

A Tutorial on How to Post Photos for Everyone to See

Postby AnonymousSource » Thu May 28, 2015 5:32 am

As a lot of you know, I spend a lot of my time on this site reuploading photos for everyone so you don't have to download the pictures or go to another website to view them. I've probably edited over 100 posts in the past day for the DailyBumps thread. With that being said, I hope this tutorial can teach some of you using this site how to post pictures very easily so that everyone can see.

There are probably more than three methods, but I'm only going to demonstrate three because they're the ones I'm most familiar with.

So, first let me explain that the EASIEST method is probably the photobucket route (and it's probably the nicest looking out of the three methods). You have to create a photobucket account to upload photos to photobucket, but the advantage to that is you never have to deal with any Captcha before uploading. It's super fast and easy.

Now, before you upload.. Remember that the forums only allow pictures that are up to 600 pixels x 600 pixels. Photobucket on your PC is awesome because it allows you to resize your photo right from the editing studio. You just replace the highest number with 600 and the other number will adjust automatically. However, if you're using your phone to do this, your best bet is to use an app called "Reduce Photo Size."

Here is the app and what it looks like.

Here is what it looks like when you open the app up. Tap on "Select Image" and choose what picture you want to resize.

Here is what the screen will look like after choosing a picture to resize. Notice it says 1080x1920 for the dimensions on the pic above. My phone's resolution is 1080x1920 so any screenshots I take will always be these dimensions. Tap the "Reduce" button to get started with resizing your photo.

Okay now you COULD change it to one of the last 4 presets because they're all under 600x600 and would post to this site, but to make it the easiest to see (especially if there is a lot of writing in your screenshot), you want to click "Custom."

Time for a little bit of simple math. If the current resolution is 1080x1920 and we need (?)x600, we need to do some cross multiplication to figure out what the second dimension is. So, 1080/(?) x 1920/600. 600x1080= 648,000.. Then divide that by 1920 and you get 337 (round down). Therefore, your new dimensions should be 337x600. Input that in the two boxes and tap "OK."

Tap the three vertical dots in the upper right hand corner after you've resized your image and tap "Save As."

Once you tap "Save As," this screen will come up and show you where your picture is being saved to. You can change the destination location or you can just tap "Save." If you just tap "Save," the pictures will go to your gallery in a new folder called "ReducedPhoto."

Next, head over to Photobucket and create an account. Once you're finished, tap "Choose a Photo or Video." If you're not already on the upload screen, tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left-hand corner and when the menu drops down, tap "Upload." Then tap, "Choose a Photo or Video."

When it is finished uploading, it will look like this. Uploading should take a max of 5 seconds. Tap on the paperclip thing to get the link to share the photo.

This is where tapping the paperclip thing takes you. You want the DIRECT link. Do not choose the one that has the [URL] tags, even though it says it's for forums.

Finally, paste the direct link in between IMG tags like shown above and wa-lah! You did it!

*The other two methods will be in the comments*
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Advertisement

Re: A Tutorial on How to Post Photos for Everyone to See

Postby AnonymousSource » Thu May 28, 2015 6:09 am

The second method

For the second method, you can use tinypic to upload photos and post them on the forum. This is how:

Go to tinypic.com. You do not have to create an account. You will see this screen. Click on "Choose File" and select the picture you wish to share.

Once you've selected the picture you want to upload, this part is very important! If your picture is not under 600x600 pixels, you will still be able to upload the picture, you just won't be able to post it to the forums. Tap on "Resize" and when this box pops up, tap on "Website/Email (320x240)." If you choose anything with a higher resolution, it will not work on the forums (which is why Photobucket is my preferred method.)

Complete the Captcha to prove you're not a robot (because unlike Photobucket, you don't have to create an account). Tap "Upload Now" when you've finished.

Wait a few seconds for it to upload and you will get this screen. Copy the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards." Paste the IMG code in a post (and don't put [IMG] codes around it, because they're already there). Wa-lah! You did it!

Now, alternatively, you can use the "Reduce Photo Size" app and resize the picture yourself to 600x whatever. If you do that, SKIP the part where you resize the photo on tinypic. Just leave it at "Default." If you do it this way, you can post pictures that are just as big as the Photobucket pictures.
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby AnonymousSource » Thu May 28, 2015 6:22 am

The third option:

You can also use Imgur to upload photos, however.. Imgur tends to delete photos after a while, leaving your pictures on the forum in a broken state.

If you do choose to use Imgur, though, it works identically to Photobucket almost. There is no quick resize feature like there is with tinypic, so every photo you upload with the intent to post to the forum must be less than 600x600 pixels. You can achieve that with the "Reduce Photo Size" app and I demonstrated that in my original post.

I hope this has been helpful to everyone wondering how to post pictures to the forums. Feel free to test it out here in the comments if you'd like. Remember, when you post photos this way, instead of as an attachment or a link, when people quote you, your picture will be quoted properly. Also, people don't have to download images to their phones/computers, open up any other webpages, or be signed in to view your photos.
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby HelloHolaHallo » Thu May 28, 2015 6:27 am

Whoops when you add a picture it comes off as broken? I'm 100% of the time on my phone in Safari so I always just added it through here is that the wrong way to do it?
HelloHolaHallo

Postby AnonymousSource » Thu May 28, 2015 7:05 am

HelloHolaHallo wrote:Whoops when you add a picture it comes off as broken? I'm 100% of the time on my phone in Safari so I always just added it through here is that the wrong way to do it?

So, I'll explain the problems in this post, because I also use internet on my phone and don't use the mobile or tapatalk versions.

When you post the picture using one of the above methods, it comes out like this:

However, if you post the picture from tapatalk, everybody sees this:
You have to quote the post in order to see the full url and then you have to copy/paste it into your browser and it will actually download the picture to your device. (Quite annoying)

And then there's this.. People who upload attachments:
Now, see when someone quoted the person, the picture doesn't show up in the quote? This often happens over the span of a few pages.. So often times people have to go back multiple pages to see what picture the person's commenting on. Also, people have to be logged into YTMD to see attachments.

And finally, there's the issue of "placing inline."
So, if you notice, when the second person quoted the first person, it says "Screenshot-blah-blah" in the quote rather than actually showing the picture.

See why doing it this way is better for everyone?
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby HelloHolaHallo » Thu May 28, 2015 7:30 am

Oh okay. Yeah I used the attachment version sorry I'm not very tech savvy :-P will try tiny pic
HelloHolaHallo

Postby drunkunicorn » Thu May 28, 2015 7:38 am

Just testing this out, I think I got it.
Thanks again AS, very clear instructions :)
drunkunicorn
Gossiper

Postby AnonymousSource » Thu May 28, 2015 7:48 am

drunkunicorn wrote:Image

Just testing this out, I think I got it.
Thanks again AS, very clear instructions :)

Awesome! I'm so proud! :') lol
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby AnonymousSource » Thu May 28, 2015 7:51 am

HelloHolaHallo wrote:Oh okay. Yeah I used the attachment version sorry I'm not very tech savvy :-P will try tiny pic

You're awesome! Thank you! :)
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby Greys Encyclopedia » Fri May 29, 2015 3:04 pm

Screenshot_2015-05-29-16-04-00.png

[img]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/29/7f31839abd475b7731ff1ec25fdb15d3.jpg[/img]

*test*
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greys Encyclopedia
Super Moddie

Postby AnonymousSource » Sat May 30, 2015 6:56 am

This it's what it looks like originally.. But I can't even quote you because your image is more than 600x600 pixels.
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby Greys Encyclopedia » Sat May 30, 2015 6:08 pm

This is so confusing lol. I don't really have reasons to post many pictures so I'll look into some of the methods
Greys Encyclopedia
Super Moddie

Postby blackbetty » Sat May 30, 2015 8:12 pm

If you don't use tapatalk, just add them as attachments, they don't really need to repeat in a quote honestly. That's probably the best way to make sure all posters can view it without manipulation haha
#FreeBen
blackbetty
Super Moddie

Postby Greys Encyclopedia » Sat May 30, 2015 8:16 pm

I've been adding pictures with the paperclip and that doesn't seem to work for online. Is the camera one the attachment?
Greys Encyclopedia
Super Moddie

Postby blackbetty » Sat May 30, 2015 8:25 pm

Crap, I'm not sure cause I'm normally mobile.

I'd just use tinypic then, it's pretty easy. You just go to tinypic, upload it, copy the direct link and paste it into the image tag [img*]insertlinkhere[/img*] just delete the stars :)
#FreeBen
blackbetty
Super Moddie

Postby Kryptonite » Sat May 30, 2015 8:27 pm

lizyfignewton wrote:I've been adding pictures with the paperclip and that doesn't seem to work for online. Is the camera one the attachment?

The paperclip is an attachment, which works better than the camera, which shows up as an "unclickable" link. :)

The easiest options are the attachment via Tapatalk or using Tinypic (which will provide an [img] link.)
#GetShariHerOwnRoom2016
Super Moddie

Postby Greys Encyclopedia » Sat May 30, 2015 10:02 pm

Kryptonite wrote:
lizyfignewton wrote:I've been adding pictures with the paperclip and that doesn't seem to work for online. Is the camera one the attachment?

The paperclip is an attachment, which works better than the camera, which shows up as an "unclickable" link. :)

The easiest options are the attachment via Tapatalk or using Tinypic (which will provide an [img] link.)

Screenshot_2015-05-30-23-02-06.png

So can you see this without having to fix it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greys Encyclopedia
Super Moddie

Postby Kryptonite » Sun May 31, 2015 10:29 am

lizyfignewton wrote:
Kryptonite wrote:

Yes, ma'am! :D

You may notice that it doesn't show up in a quote, as Anon mentioned, because of the size.

It's always nice if an image is below 600x600 but that's often not the case. A standard screenshot is usually much bigger.

I wouldn't worry about the quotes too much about it though because most people do not mind going back a few pages... Plus, if someone uploads a popular image, many people quote it and then you end up with a thread full of the same image.

FYI to TinyPic users:

You can't upload a photo via TinyPic that is more than 800 pixels, though. I think you can link, but you cannot embed it with the [img] tag. I apologize if this has already been mentioned.
#GetShariHerOwnRoom2016
Super Moddie

Postby AnonymousSource » Sun May 31, 2015 3:30 pm

Kryptonite wrote:
lizyfignewton wrote:

You may notice that it doesn't show up in a quote, as Anon mentioned, because of the size. It's always nice if an image is below 600x600 but that's often not the case. A standard screenshot is usually much bigger. I wouldn't worry too much about it though because most people do not mind going back a few pages... Plus, if someone uploads a popular image, many people quote it and then you end up with a thread full of the same image.

FYI to TinyPic users:

You can't upload a photo via TinyPic that is more than 800 pixels, though. I think you can link, but you cannot embed it with the [img] tag. I apologize if this has already been mentioned.

It's not because of the size that it didn't show up. It just doesn't show up if you use attachments.

And anything over 600x600 pixels will not embed and you typically won't even be able to submit your post (unless you're in tapatalk, for some reason). People won't be able to quote you at all because it will give them an error about the picture size exceeding the limit.
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby Kryptonite » Sun May 31, 2015 4:01 pm

AnonymousSource wrote:
Kryptonite wrote:
lizyfignewton wrote:

You may notice that it doesn't show up in a quote, as Anon mentioned, because of the size. It's always nice if an image is below 600x600 but that's often not the case. A standard screenshot is usually much bigger. I wouldn't worry too much about it though because most people do not mind going back a few pages... Plus, if someone uploads a popular image, many people quote it and then you end up with a thread full of the same image.

FYI to TinyPic users:

It's not because of the size that it didn't show up. It just doesn't show up if you use attachments.

And anything over 600x600 pixels will not embed and you typically won't even be able to submit your post (unless you're in tapatalk, for some reason). People won't be able to quote you at all because it will give them an error about the picture size exceeding the limit.

Sorry. That's what I meant to say and then include the size bit. I confused myself when writing the post. Oops!

I'm confused though about quoting, I quoted her (which her image is over 600) and didn't get an error message on desktop? The photo didn't show up in the quote (as I expected) though.
#GetShariHerOwnRoom2016
Super Moddie

Postby AnonymousSource » Sun May 31, 2015 4:30 pm

rps20150529_092204.jpg
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby AnonymousSource » Sun May 31, 2015 4:30 pm

AnonymousSource wrote:
rps20150529_092204.jpg

Test.
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby AnonymousSource » Sun May 31, 2015 4:34 pm

Screenshot_2015-05-24-12-22-42.png

Test.
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby AnonymousSource » Sun May 31, 2015 4:37 pm

Okay, so that first picture is exactly 600x600 pixels and I uploaded it as an attachment. It does not show up in quoted posts.

The second picture is 1080x1920. Maybe Morgan upped the size limit because the whole reason I learned to use tinypic (other than that it looks nicer) is because I wasn't able to upload my 1080x1920 screenshots. I stand corrected. But I honestly think that was recently upped.

Still, you can't quote either picture unfortunately.
AnonymousSource
Extreme Gossiper

Postby Kryptonite » Sun May 31, 2015 4:45 pm

I am still slightly confused so I want to make sure that I am understanding correctly in case someone else has a similar question in the future. Maybe I am misunderstanding you? That's a huge possibility.

I understand the issue with quoting attachments but I was wondering about the error message because I checked the size of Lizy's photo above and it is way beyond 600. I can still quote it without getting an error message, it only does not show up in the quote. Are you saying that THAT was recently upped or are you talking about the ability to embed a photo of that size? I had an issue with uploading a photo under 800 pixels today with TinyPic, so I want to make sure the issue wasn't on my end.

This is the quote I am referring to:

"And anything over 600x600 pixels will not embed and you typically won't even be able to submit your post (unless you're in tapatalk, for some reason). People won't be able to quote you at all because it will give them an error about the picture size exceeding the limit."

Thank you.
#GetShariHerOwnRoom2016
Super Moddie

Next

Return to NEWS