Bonnie Hoellein: Part 2

westwuff
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie Hoellein: Part 2

Unread post by westwuff »

Poor Bonnie. How awful with needing to supplement and then having all the comments...
actuallydear
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by actuallydear »

HelloSweetie1 wrote:
actuallydear wrote:
Kryptonite wrote:
Yes! That's how I feel. Honestly, that's sort of how I feel with all of them lol.
Joel ImageImageImageImage
How cute was he when he was telling Bonnie to wink for him on the phone? Image
Ugh! I know! Image I love how reassuring to Bonnie he is, and it's always a quick reaction on his part too. She is perfect in his eyes. They are #relationshipgoals, because they keep it real.
usmellllikesnow
BANNED
BANNED

Unread post by usmellllikesnow »

I have never commented on the Mormon aspect of vlogging, but after Bonnie talking about the phone conversation with her mother, I really do think they see this as some type of "outreach" program for their religion. I guess the way I see it is, if you choose a religion because you like a family on youtube, you're probably looking for a lifestyle more than God.
alexandriablue
Talker
Talker

Unread post by alexandriablue »

I was only half paying attention to the vlog as i got ready this morning, but did Bonnie say Cody was "going for a run"? What does that mean - she lets him run around the block?
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

alexandriablue wrote:I was only half paying attention to the vlog as i got ready this morning, but did Bonnie say Cody was "going for a run"? What does that mean - she lets him run around the block?
She's vlogged it before. He runs down the sidewalk to the end of the block (or a few houses down) while she watches. Not around the block or out of sight.
Deadhead_kay
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Deadhead_kay »

I get it they think they live in a safe area, but come on. She has three other children who could take her attention for a second and he could be gone the next. And honestly with her track record of being careless with her kids safety I doubt her eyes are on him every second of him being alone down the street.
Just the opinion of an internet stranger. Don't take anything personally, for your own sake as well as mine.
FakingIt_MakingIt
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by FakingIt_MakingIt »

I don't think him running down half a block or playing in the yard is a big deal at all. We live in a similar neighbourhood and its TOTALLY fine to let your kids play in your back yard, and she watches him run down the block and back.
A lot of things are being completely blown out of proportion here and are made to be something totally different then what she shows.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:I don't think him running down half a block or playing in the yard is a big deal at all. We live in a similar neighbourhood and its TOTALLY fine to let your kids play in your back yard, and she watches him run down the block and back.
A lot of things are being completely blown out of proportion here and are made to be something totally different then what she shows.
Running is at least safer than riding a bike. I would be nervous with my son, but we don't have a sidewalk and I was overprotective with my first. With the second I would be more likely to give him a bit of freedom because we've now seen the confidence that a little independence can give.

Did you know that as long as a kid is older than 7 they can go to Disneyland without an adult? I was shocked to learn this.

Caution and overprotectiveness are a tough balance. The kindergarten and grade 1 teacher at my son's school shared this image with the parents the other day to remind us to let kids do things for themselves... If we don't teach it before they go to school, they will only need to "catch up".

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23 ... 3810e7.jpg[/img]
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

HelloSweetie1 wrote:
FakingIt_MakingIt wrote:I don't think him running down half a block or playing in the yard is a big deal at all. We live in a similar neighbourhood and its TOTALLY fine to let your kids play in your back yard, and she watches him run down the block and back.
Oh boy do I agree! Running is at least safer than riding a bike. I would be nervous with my son, but we don't have a sidewalk and I was overprotective with my first. With the second I would be more likely to give him a bit of freedom because we've now seen the confidence that a little independence can give.

Did you know that as long as a kid is older than 7 they can go to Disneyland without an adult? I was shocked to learn this.

Caution and overprotectiveness are a tough balance. The kindergarten and grade 1 teacher at my son's school shared this image with the parents the other day to remind us to let kids do things for themselves... If we don't teach it before they go to school, they will only need to "catch up".

[img]//images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/23 ... 3810e7.jpg[/img]
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

Eh I think it's okay if she's watching him, but I do think it's a little strange and something I'd personally be worried about, you never know when there's a car coming, a dog loose, or someone looking to snatch a kid. All she has to do is take her eyes away for a second and something bad can happen, and with four kids you can't watch all of them all the time

Sent from my SM-S765C using Tapatalk
zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

westwuff wrote:Poor Bonnie. How awful with needing to supplement and then having all the comments...
I know! I got so pissed reading some of those comments. So what if she has to give him a bottle or two? It happens. I had to do the same thing with my daughter!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lalila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by lalila »

Deadhead_kay wrote:I get it they think they live in a safe area, but come on. She has three other children who could take her attention for a second and he could be gone the next. And honestly with her track record of being careless with her kids safety I doubt her eyes are on him every second of him being alone down the street.
My parents used to live in a safe, brand new area with only young families. She used to leave my brother driving to his music lessons by bicycle when he was 10 years old until one day a little girl got murdered in her OWN street, which actually was... my parent' street. She was 8 or something like that.... things can happen that fast. I know this is due to personal experience, but having your kid out of sight is for me a no go, they are more crazy human being out there then you might think.
lalila
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by lalila »

zipadeedodah wrote:
westwuff wrote:Poor Bonnie. How awful with needing to supplement and then having all the comments...
I know! I got so pissed reading some of those comments. So what if she has to give him a bottle or two? It happens. I had to do the same thing with my daughter!

I agree she doesn't deserve this! She must be proud of herself and this is already so hard on a mum when the body "fail" that she doesn't need any comment like that.
usmellllikesnow
BANNED
BANNED

lalila wrote:
Deadhead_kay wrote:I get it they think they live in a safe area, but come on. She has three other children who could take her attention for a second and he could be gone the next. And honestly with her track record of being careless with her kids safety I doubt her eyes are on him every second of him being alone down the street.
My parents used to live in a safe, brand new area with only young families. She used to leave my brother driving to his music lessons by bicycle when he was 10 years old until one day a little girl got murdered in her OWN street, which actually was... my parent' street. She was 8 or something like that.... things can happen that fast. I know this is due to personal experience, but having your kid out of sight is for me a no go, they are more crazy human being out there then you might think.
That is terrifying and sad!

Bonnie must be very trusting of the town they live in. Even in the paint store, Boston and Cody ran off and weren't being supervised. That kind of stuff scares me, because you never know what kind of creeps are around these days waiting to do harm to little kids. I live in a county with a very low crime rate, and we still have reports of people trying to get kids in cars at least 3 times a year. I just think 2 and 4 is too young to be running off alone in a store. Not only because of strangers, but I'd also be afraid of the mess they would make.

I'm not sure how I feel about Cody's jogging alone. I can't find the video where Bonnie says how far he goes.
usmellllikesnow
BANNED
BANNED

I think Bonnie is definitely sad about supplementing, but I also think if she starts getting more sleep at night, she's going to be totally on board. She bottlefed the other kids, so I don't think it's a huge deal for her in the long run.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

lalila wrote:
He isn't out of sight though, he's not even a block away. If he was running AROUND the block that would obviously be out of sight.

Your story is tragic, and awful things CAN happen, but a 10 year old should be given the freedom to ride his bike alone. Your mom wasn't wrong. It's actually becoming a big problem that kids aren't being given enough freedom now. It effects their confidence and has contributed to higher rates of anxiety.

Cody tends to be a more cautious/timid/sensitive personality. If doing that short run makes him come back feeling good about himself, and she's standing there watching, then that's a good thing IMO.

I wish I could find the vlog where she shows how far/not far it is Image
zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

I couldn't believe she let her kids run around the store like that either. I hope they didn't take things off the shelves and make a mess!

westwuff
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by westwuff »

I agree that it is important to not freak your kids out by being overly cautious. I was actually quite impressed with Bonnie's reaction to Cody jumping from the treehouse to the trampoline. She made sure no other kids coukd get hurt and asked Cody to be careful, told him it made her nervous, but then trusted him when hesaid he could do it. And for what it was, he was pretty safe about the whole thing.

I also love that she encourages all her kidsos to play outside so much. From what I've seen, she doesn't expect Olivia to look after her siblings excessively, just pretty tyipical older sibling stuff. It's nice she isn't made to be a second mommy.
ohmygoshyouguys
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by ohmygoshyouguys »

westwuff wrote:I agree that it is important to not freak your kids out by being overly cautious. I was actually quite impressed with Bonnie's reaction to Cody jumping from the treehouse to the trampoline. She made sure no other kids coukd get hurt and asked Cody to be careful, told him it made her nervous, but then trusted him when hesaid he could do it. And for what it was, he was pretty safe about the whole thing.

I also love that she encourages all her kidsos to play outside so much. From what I've seen, she doesn't expect Olivia to look after her siblings excessively, just pretty tyipical older sibling stuff. It's nice she isn't made to be a second mommy.
I agree. I didn't think it was a big deal that he jumped onto the trampoline like that. Its not like it was a 20 foot jump. It seemed there was very little that could go wrong. I think kids are way too coddled these days. We are a generation of helicopter parents.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

I just came here to say that so far I love Bonnie the most out of all the YT mommies I watch. She's just so real. She doesn't try to paint a perfect happy, positive, super mom, best marriage ever picture. Her and Joel's chemistry reminds me of my husband and I. Reading some comments here people have judged her for not having dinner made for him after work. That's marriage and life with kids. I have one 4 month old and she is very needy, and I am literally carrying her all day. My hubby (who has a physical labour trades job) gets it and actually thinks my job at home is harder than his. I don't get a break- being a sahm is 24/7..he gets a break. And on weekends since I get up during the night to bf the baby 3x a night he gladly gets up with her at 6am even tho he gets up at 5am on weekdays.

Bonnie does this with 4 kids!!!!! She even goes to the grocery store and appointments byherself! If I can help it I only do grocery stores on weekends with my hubby. Being home with a baby or kids seems easy on the outside but when your in the situation, sleep deprived, frustrated with a fussy baby or kids who won't listen, list of chores on the back of your mind, and planning meals while trying to stay on a napping and play time schedule....it's exhausting and I hope I can handle it like Bonnie!

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”