Comparing The Griffiths (Post at your own risk!)

alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Comparing The Griffiths (Post at your own risk!)

Unread post by alym0326 »

HelloSweetie1 wrote:(Not quoting for length)

Alym, you're in childcare right? You can sternly talk to the children sure, but can you do so while holding their face? I doubt it. Why? Because it seems OTT and unnecessary. That's why I say maybe it's ok for Ellie because they are close. I wouldn't be ok with it. For reference though, would you be ok with just anyone speaking that way to your child?

About the scissors though, you're missing the reason why other mothers got offended. He GOT the scissors, Bonnie didn't say she left him playing with them. You're assuming too much. He could have climbed up on the counter for all we know. Yes, she shouldn't have left then there (more assumption) but maybe Joel did, or Olivia? We don't know. Blaming Bonnie is a bit much.

Aren't people always saying we can't judge Ellie based on what we don't see? That that's nitpicky? We didn't see anything to do with the scissors, so we shouldn't assume it's Bonnie's fault.

I understand what you're saying though. I just see it different based on my own experience I guess. That's my few posts of debate, moving on for the night...But yep, we definitely can agree to disagree Image
I am! My fiancé also has 3 siblings that are each a little bit older than each of Bonnie's kids.

I would have to know the context of the situation, off first glance of course I wouldn't be okay with just ANYONE doing that, my sibling is different, but still if it were my sibling and I knew the context, I wouldn't be as angry.

I do understand what you are saying though.

With the scissors I'm mainly upset about the situation the happened the other day, with her letting him play with them.

Also I only usually see a select few referring to the things said about Ellie as being nitpicky, the last time I did I was kind of looked at as "lecturing" even though that wasn't what I was doing. Lol.

But regardless my main concern with the scissors was from the other day, it also was quite ironic to me that the other day Boston tried to cut Codys hair with the scissors and a few days later ends up cutting his own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sunflower928
Talker
Talker

Unread post by sunflower928 »

I'm not a huge fan of Ellie, but I just don't see where her disciplining Boston was that bad. Yeah, she touched his face, but she didn't grab it. It looked to me like she was trying to get his attention. He's an adorable boy, but he's 2 so not the best listener.
Also, I disagree with whoever said that Ellie doesn't let the other kids play with Calvin. We have seen cody play with him numerous times. Same with Olivia.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Cgl33
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Cgl33 »

HelloSweetie1 wrote:I think where you are in life has a lot to do with how you view things. I know many younger people don't like Bonnie, and I partly think it's because she lifts the veil on marriage and parenting and shows the dirtier less romantic side of it. I can see how you would be more drawn to the perfect life E&J and B&M appear to have. More glitz, glamour, travel, a husband that stays home, etc. You know, the dreamy romance stuff.

This is why I think Bonnie has a more adult following than E&J. They can relate to her, whereas the younger audience looks at E&J and sees "life goals" without realizing they aren't seeing the full picture at all.
I completely agree. I think a big part of it is that she doesn't try to entertain, too. E&J and B&M try to entertain their bloggers. Bonnie just shows parts of her life. I think she is far from perfect, but I prefer her vlogging style to the more fake daily cloggers.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I'm posting this here because I am bringing up Bonnie in a question/comment about Ellie. Everyone says Ellie seems taken aback by how much harder two kids are, and that she says she struggles with it. From how "difficult" Calvin seems to be, Jackson must have been an absolute angel. He doesn't seem to really be a fussy, difficult baby. And I know difficult. I've shared about my colicky daughter, and before we got my lactose intolerant son off of breastfeeding, he screamed so much, his dad begged me not to leave them alone or he was afraid I'd have to call the cops when I got home. Anyway, didn't she notice that Bonnie had more work with 3 kids? I'm sure Bonnie didn't sit around and complain, but she must have talked about it, if the sisters are "so close". Even just friends I had warned me that 2 kids are more than twice as much work as 1. What did she expect?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

lmmomSD wrote:I'm posting this here because I am bringing up Bonnie in a question/comment about Ellie. Everyone says Ellie seems taken aback by how much harder two kids are, and that she says she struggles with it. From how "difficult" Calvin seems to be, Jackson must have been an absolute angel. He doesn't seem to really be a fussy, difficult baby. And I know difficult. I've shared about my colicky daughter, and before we got my lactose intolerant son off of breastfeeding, he screamed so much, his dad begged me not to leave them alone or he was afraid I'd have to call the cops when I got home. Anyway, didn't she notice that Bonnie had more work with 3 kids? I'm sure Bonnie didn't sit around and complain, but she must have talked about it, if the sisters are "so close". Even just friends I had warned me that 2 kids are more than twice as much work as 1. What did she expect?

She heard other moms say it's hard, but it was a walk in the park for her so she probably figured it would be fine. Sounds like she still struggles with delusions of grandeur.

Obviously you've never seen this....
http://youtu.be/HpigdVEw3Hg
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

The safety issue is the only thing I can't really relate to about Bonnie, although I do think some things others say are unsafe are more a matter of opinion (helping Joel with tools, helping in the kitchen, etc).

I actually think all the Griffiths suck at safety. The rocks and gum around Calvin are just an accident waiting to happen! Not to mention letting a two year old play outside in that front area alone. I think they were brought up with maybe too much freedom?
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Kryptonite wrote:I have been waiting to respond to this thread all weekend! First of all, thank you all for debating and stating your opinions respectfully. I am happy to see that everyone is still able to express their opinions without causing a debate on the main threads. :)

I like both Bonnie and Ellie for different reasons. I originally disliked Bonnie because she seemed ungrateful but she was also pregnant and that has seemed to diminish since Lincoln has been born. Ellie I originally really liked and found her sweet. I still don't dislike her but I have definitely noticed a few of her faults.

Bonnie:

She seems more down to earth and more relatable. I think she is this way because not only is she in a different stage of her life than Ellie is, she has had to mother for YEARS without YouTube fame, money, the privilege of quitting her occupation and having her husband work from home. She manages well because she has had to for so many years so it is natural to her.

Yes, I understand that those are all "normal" things but to someone who has had all of these privileges with their first child, it's like running out into the bare streets of a foreign country that you've never heard of, who doesn't speak your native language, without a map. (Too much?) In other words, it's a huge culture shock!

I hope this makes some sort of sense?

Ellie:

I don't think she intends to come off as "spoiled" when she states her feelings but people who are a bit less fortunate see her as being ungrateful.

Sorry Kryptonite but I completely disagree with that last sentence Image. Ellie is rivalling Missy for queen of FWP lately. I don't think you can excuse that short-sightedness as being just because of the money. It's a lack of empathy. I am by no means in a less fortunate position than Ellie, but can still relate to others with less. Being fortunate just isn't an excuse to be ignorant IMO... especially when you make it a point to preach "service" to others. There have been many kids that are struggling in the comments lately, and E&J no longer respond like they used to. It really feels like they've forgotten where they came from and that is sad.

I would love to see them volunteer a couple of hours a week at different charities from eachother. I think that would be a good thing for both of them and help Ellie mature outside of YT and Jared.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Comparing The Griffiths (Post at your own risk!)

Kryptonite wrote:
HelloSweetie1 wrote:
Sorry Kryptonite but I completely disagree with that last sentence Image. Ellie is rivalling Missy for queen of FWP lately. I don't think you can excuse that short-sightedness as being just because of the money. It's a lack of empathy. I am by no means in a less fortunate position than Ellie, but can still relate to others with less. Being fortunate just isn't an excuse to be ignorant IMO... especially when you make it a point to preach "service" to others. There have been many kids that are struggling in the comments lately, and E&J no longer respond like they used to. It really feels like they've forgotten where they came from and that is sad.

I would love to see them volunteer a couple of hours a week at different charities from eachother. I think that would be a good thing for both of them and help Ellie mature outside of YT and Jared.
I think you are missing my point. I don't disagree with you, I am talking about how people say that her issues aren't real issues. I think they are real to her and that she doesn't intend to come across a certain way but she does. I would also love to see them volunteer and respond to comments but that is a whole other discussion for me.

For the record, by less fortunate I simply mean that she has brand deals, YouTube money, a husband who is home 24/7. I doubt you or anyone else here is that fortunate.
Oh, I see what you're saying now.

About whether anyone here is more fortunate than Ellie, well that's subjective and completely depends on what you call fortunate. I guess it's the above, and while we do very well, I don't have YT or brand deals or a husband that's home 24/7... no (nor would I want them). My husband works extremely hard for his money and in doing so I can say we are greatly rewarded. I came from a single parent household where we had to really budget. I no longer live that life, but I remember it. I guess maybe that keeps me grounded and I expect Ellie to be able to relate more to a simpler life? I don't think they grew up particularly wealthy. Jennifer made a comment on Bonnie's vlog yoday about finally being able to afford that restaurant.

Anyway, I thought you were saying people with money don't understand those with less, so they can't be judged by their lack of empathy. I see what you mean now Image
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

And you two deserve props for expressing differing opinions without insulting each other or saying the opposing opinion was stupid or ignorant. That's how a respectful debate is done.

alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

HelloSweetie1 wrote:The safety issue is the only thing I can't really relate to about Bonnie, although I do think some things others say are unsafe are more a matter of opinion (helping Joel with tools, helping in the kitchen, etc).

I actually think all the Griffiths suck at safety. The rocks and gum around Calvin are just an accident waiting to happen! Not to mention letting a two year old play outside in that front area alone. I think they were brought up with maybe too much freedom?
I think it was unsafe to Boston or Cody start swinging around hammers or other sharp tools, other than that if he's showing them how to do things/letting them help, I think that's fine. Just not so much the actual playing with the tools as if they were tools. Im not sure what others have said about helping in the kitchen, but as long as they aren't using the knives or other sharp objects, i'm fine with it. Oh, and supervision. Supervision is a good idea.

The rocks make me very irritated, I'm glad that it was only a one time incident based off what they've shown and hope that it doesn't happen regularly. I think it's much worse letting Boston outside play outside vs Jackson outside if I'm being honest. Personally I think playing in a neighbourhood, near a road, front yard, with no supervision is worse/an accident waiting to happen that's worse than playing in a VERY tiny front "back yard", that is fenced in, with the front door open and either watching from a different room, or within ear shot.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

alym0326 wrote:
HelloSweetie1 wrote:The safety issue is the only thing I can't really relate to about Bonnie, although I do think some things others say are unsafe are more a matter of opinion (helping Joel with tools, helping in the kitchen, etc).

I think it was unsafe to Boston or Cody start swinging around hammers or other sharp tools, other than that if he's showing them how to do things/letting them help, I think that's fine. Just not so much the actual playing with the tools as if they were tools. Im not sure what others have said about helping in the kitchen, but as long as they aren't using the knives or other sharp objects, i'm fine with it. Oh, and supervision. Supervision is a good idea.

The rocks make me very irritated, I'm glad that it was only a one time incident based off what they've shown and hope that it doesn't happen regularly. I think it's much worse letting Boston outside play outside vs Jackson outside if I'm being honest. Personally I think playing in a neighbourhood, near a road, front yard, with no supervision is worse/an accident waiting to happen that's worse than playing in a VERY tiny front "back yard", that is fenced in, with the front door open and either watching from a different room, or within ear shot.
Unless I'm mistaken they have found rocks around Calvin a few times now. They have mentioned finding rocks in his pockets they didn't know he had too. It was gum today. They didn't seem concerned, which I find fault with. Mistakes happen, but when you're given warnings at least try to learn!
The time I'm talking about the front door wasn't really open. Maybe inches if at all. It looked closed. When they showed Jackson he was playing right next to the baby gate. Anyone could have grabbed him. He also could have pushed it (pressure fits suck) and got out and wandered off. They have railroad tracks directly behind them. Ellie and Jared had been talking for awhile and filming in the kitchen with no edits, so they weren't watching him. It's a lot to assume he would have shouted if approached given he had just come back from meeting people at one of the conventions.

I don't agree with Boston playing in the frontyard alone at all and I've never said I do. My position is that both are wildly irresponsible (ignorant, naive?) and guilty when it comes to letting little ones play outside alone. The backyard would maybe be debatable of the other kids were around, but not alone for a 2 year old. Front or back.

The helping in the kitchen is with help, but yes, with knives. Bonnie lets her kids help and chop vegetables WITH her guidance and supervision and my son learned the same in preschool. It's a huge confidence builder for them, and there's nothing wrong with them learning how to use knives safely with help.

Bonnie has some safety lapses for sure, but that doesn't make E&J safe in comparison... unsafe is unsafe. Kids shouldn't be on moving vehicles without proper helmets. Hoverboards, bikes, it doesn't matter to me.

I also tend to think Jared is a lot more careful about what he shows.
alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

HelloSweetie1 wrote:
alym0326 wrote:

Unless I'm mistaken they have found rocks around Calvin a few times now. They have mentioned finding rocks in his pockets they didn't know he had too. It was gum today. They didn't seem concerned, which I find fault with. Mistakes happen, but when you're given warnings at least try to learn!
The time I'm talking about the front door wasn't really open. Maybe inches if at all. It looked closed. When they showed Jackson he was playing right next to the baby gate. Anyone could have grabbed him. He also could have pushed it (pressure fits suck) and got out and wandered off. They have railroad tracks directly behind them. Ellie and Jared had been talking for awhile and filming in the kitchen with no edits, so they weren't watching him. It's a lot to assume he would have shouted if approached given he had just come back from meeting people at one of the conventions.

I don't agree with Boston playing in the frontyard alone at all and I've never said I do. My position is that both are wildly irresponsible (ignorant, naive?) and guilty when it comes to letting little ones play outside alone. The backyard would maybe be debatable of the other kids were around, but not alone for a 2 year old. Front or back.

The helping in the kitchen is with help, but yes, with knives. Bonnie lets her kids help and chop vegetables WITH her guidance and supervision and my son learned the same in preschool. It's a huge confidence builder for them, and there's nothing wrong with them learning how to use knives safely with help.

Bonnie has some safety lapses for sure, but that doesn't make E&J safe in comparison... unsafe is unsafe. Kids shouldn't be on moving vehicles without proper helmets. Hoverboards, bikes, it doesn't matter to me.

I also tend to think Jared is a lot more careful about what he shows.
Oh yeah, they've found rocks in his pockets multiple times. I was more referring to when they were in calvin's crib. That could have ended very badly.

Also, I'm not dismissing that Jackson being outside is unsafe, because it is. I'm just arguing that Boston being outside is more unsafe than Jackson being outside, also there is a window where you can see outside from the kitchen. I don't know, I just think that Boston being outside as an almost 3 year old (or is he already 3?) a lot worse just because there is a lot more things that could go wrong.

And with the knives, I meant using them without guidance/supervision, if they have both - then that is fine! As long as there is supervision,

I'm not stating that Ellie and Jared are safe, I'm stating that in my opinion I think Bonnie is much more unsafe than Ellie and Jared, as in there are more situations where things can go wrong and situations that can be seen as unsafe.

I definitely agree about the helmets though, we've seen Jackson on the overboard and Olivia, cody, and boston all on bikes and the 4 wheelers, all without helmets. It's just unsafe.
CanYouJustNot
Informer
Informer

Unread post by CanYouJustNot »

I'm not really sure how Boston being outside alone is more unsafe than Jackson. IMO that's unsafe for both of them. Sure, Boston is in a neighborhood with more cars, but Boston is also older. Idk, I just don't get it. I think Bonnie genuinely thinks that she's in a community where bad things wouldn't happen to her kids which is very naive to think. I also think that Bonnie has had more chances to show her children being unsafe because they're older. I mean, Calvin can't do much like play with power tools, but Ellie has shown her putting him in a bumbo by a counter's edge without a belt on him.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

I keep calling Jackson 2. It just occurred to me he was only 18 months the time he was playing outside and they definitely weren't watching (no, they weren't looking out a window either). That's a baby to me. What were they thinking?!
maesemd
Talker
Talker

Unread post by maesemd »

I agree with HelloSweetie! Jackson was way to young to be outside alone at 18 mo. While I don't think it's safe for Boston to play in the front yard unsupervised, Boston is older, plus has a confidence about him that Jackson doesn't. Maybe because he is older.
alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

CanYouJustNot wrote:I'm not really sure how Boston being outside alone is more unsafe than Jackson. IMO that's unsafe for both of them. Sure, Boston is in a neighborhood with more cars, but Boston is also older. Idk, I just don't get it. I think Bonnie genuinely thinks that she's in a community where bad things wouldn't happen to her kids which is very naive to think. I also think that Bonnie has had more chances to show her children being unsafe because they're older. I mean, Calvin can't do much like play with power tools, but Ellie has shown her putting him in a bumbo by a counter's edge without a belt on him.
My main reasoning for it being more unsafe is that he isn't fenced in, Jackson is, he's in a much larger area with a lot more places to go, Jackson only had a very small area that he can get into, Boston would be right off a road, Jackson isn't, i also think there would be more people roaming around in Bonnie's neighbourhood than Ellie and Jareds.

Don't get me wrong, I think it was totally unsafe for Jackson to be outside, I just think there was much more room for an accident having Boston outside alone.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

maesemd wrote:I agree with HelloSweetie! Jackson was way to young to be outside alone at 18 mo. While I don't think it's safe for Boston to play in the front yard unsupervised, Boston is older, plus has a confidence about him that Jackson doesn't. Maybe because he is older.
I think it's become a habit to deflect E&Js flaws by saying "they aren't as bad as Bonnie!". Unsafe is unsafe... even if you can think of someone worse. I mean, I'm sure you can say "at least Bonnie checks on Boston..."X" would t have even known their child was outside!" Would that make it safer? No.

That's why that argument is silly to me. Plus I can't even wrap my brain around anyone letting an 18 month old play outside alone when baby gates are not fool proof. E&J have the illusion of safety. I know I wouldnt want the only thing between my child and a train to be a pressure fit baby gate!
westwuff
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by westwuff »

And playing outside alone with choking-sized rocks at 18 months...
alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

HelloSweetie1 wrote:
maesemd wrote:I agree with HelloSweetie! Jackson was way to young to be outside alone at 18 mo. While I don't think it's safe for Boston to play in the front yard unsupervised, Boston is older, plus has a confidence about him that Jackson doesn't. Maybe because he is older.
I think it's become a habit to deflect E&Js flaws by saying "they aren't as bad as Bonnie!". Unsafe is unsafe... even if you can think of someone worse. I mean, I'm sure you can say "at least Bonnie checks on Boston..."X" would t have even known their child was outside!" Would that make it safer? No.

That's why that argument is silly to me. Plus I can't even wrap my brain around anyone letting an 18 month old play outside alone when baby gates are not fool proof. E&J have the illusion of safety. I know I wouldnt want the only thing between my child and a train to be a pressure fit baby gate!
Have to disagree that it's a habit to deflect Ellie and Jareds faults by saying they aren't as bad as Bonnie... I think it's more the other way around.

Regardless, we all have a different opinion about it. No one is saying Ellie and Jared are more safe, I'm talking about the situation itself, that doesn't mean I forget about all the other situations that they do that are unsafe.

Unsafe is unsafe. I was talking about the specific situation itself and my opinion on it.

alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

Also just to add since a lot of you are mentioning an 18 month old being outside alone, there are videos from earlier this year when Boston was around that age outside alone...

Also, I was just looking back at Bonnie's first thread on here and boy how opinions have changed, there's a lot of talk about Bonnie being insensitive and laughing at her kids getting injured, like when she laughed from inside the house while Olivia was on the road crying because she was riding her bike in the rain without a helmet and fell, and a lot of people were mad that she didn't run out to help her and just stood there and laughed at her.

It was quite interesting to re-read comparing to how the threads have been the last couple of months!

Return to “Ellie and Jared”