Cullen and Katie: New Year, New Baby Part 3

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie
Has thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: New Year, New Baby Part 3

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Fallonlynn10 wrote:If Katie is such a great parent why does Gaines still have a damn binki in her mouth all the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe it's comforting to her and Katie doesn't care? Plus Gaines is only 16 months old. Just because she has advanced verbal skills, it doesn't mean she's not still a baby.

Gotta say, I find it really strange to see you critical of that when you find little fault in Bryan and Missy's parental decisions Image
Fallonlynn10
Talker
Talker
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Fallonlynn10 »

HelloSweetie1 wrote:
Fallonlynn10 wrote:If Katie is such a great parent why does Gaines still have a damn binki in her mouth all the time?

Maybe it's comforting to her and Katie doesn't care? Plus Gaines is only 16 months old. Just because she has advanced verbal skills, it doesn't mean she's not still a baby.

Gotta say, I find it really strange to see you critical of that when you find little fault in Bryan and Missy's parental decisions Image
I find A LOT of fault with their parenting decisions and I've said that.

At 16 months she's not super advanced verbally, number one. Number two, the binki could be holding her back and messing up her teeth. Katie doesn't seem to set guidelines on when she can have it either. They were out in the snow and she was walking around with it.

I think missy and Bryan don't discipline Ollie and need to get him to a speech therapist for a valuation at the very least.

None of these vloggers are perfect parents. I'm just pointing that out. Katie has her flaws.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

Who said she didn't have flaws? The binky thing is a matter of opinion and seems nitpicking just to find one though. Many children keep their binkies well past the age of 2 or 3. Most dentists advise they be weaned off it by 4 years to prevent dental damage.

And if you think MG is just on par and not advanced then your kids must have been geniuses.
Fallonlynn10
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Fallonlynn10 »

HelloSweetie1 wrote:Who said she didn't have flaws? The binky thing is a matter of opinion and seems nitpicking just to find one though. Many children keep their binkies well past the age of 2 or 3. Most dentists advise they be weaned off it by 4 years to prevent dental damage.

And if you think MG is just on par and not advanced then your kids must have been geniuses.
EVERYTHING IS A MATTER OF OPINION. Lmao

I personally think a binki past the age of one is wrong. MY OPINION. I have heard an advanced one year old (not my kid though) that can nearly speak in full sentences. I would say she's on track but not advanced. I haven't actually heard her saying anything in the past few vlogs. Every time they ask her to say something she just stares at them. Lol

I think because Jackson and Ollie are so behind in speech (Ollie way more obviously) people think a NORMAL one year old is advanced. She's not.

maddiemom110
Wallflower
Wallflower

Unread post by maddiemom110 »

Hi! Newbie here! I just read usually and I'm not sure exactly how to use this app, but I just wanted to say children don't lose the need to suck until age 3 and taking a pacifier or even bottle too soon can cause them to start sucking their fingers which is a lot harder to break than a paci.

Also, about Katie not addressing Ellie or Missy. Just because her degree is c child psychology doesn't give her the right to go up to other people and tell them they're not "parenting correctly." That would be like a hairdresser having to go up to everybody she saw who is a horrible haircut and fix it. Just because they work in that profession doesn't mean they're obligated to help everybody.

I hope I'm not confusing any boards.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:I'm not claiming any of them are abused and I do NOT think cps needs to be involved whatsoever. I just think it's irresponsible for a professional to ignore issues in these children just for networking purposes. It's not like they're struggling to provide for their family without these connections. Katie can see the things that we see, and probably more, and (I hope) none of us would fawn over BMEJ and blow smoke up their asses just to get more ten year olds to obsess over us.

Look at it this way, when C&K are there they are modeling goid parenting 24 hours a day and not just in a 12 minute vlog. If B&M or E&J want to take note, they will. I think Missy is acting like a better parent since Katie has been in town. Ellie is lost in space imo.
Hpgirl

Unread post by Hpgirl »

RootBeerFloatie wrote:Katie is definitely sweet and a wonderful mother, but imo it's almost negligent not to speak up when she sees the way her "friends" parent their children. She should be sitting down and saying hey, this is what I do for a living, and I've noticed xy&z, and I want to explain how it's harmful to a young child. We all know this a business/networking friendship, and I think it's pretty selfish to ignore big red flags just to keep the bucks rolling in.
1. It's not selfish because I doubt most parents want to hear what they're doing wrong with their kids. Parents will go on saying that they're going a great job (even when they're not) I doubt they would take constructive criticism lightly.
2. Even if Katie told them what they're doing wrong with their kids, I strongly doubt E&J and B&M would change their parenting techniques and listen to her. They're all stubborn and think everything they do is the good way of doing it
3. Even if they weren't in it for the networking, I doubt Katie would tell them. Even if they were really close friends, she wouldn't say anything to them just for the sake of not starting problems and have them resent her. Even among families, some parents will get mad when grandparents tell them how to raise their kids.

I think throwing the word "selfish" at Katie is a bit much, especially because it's not her place to say anything to other parents about how to raise their children.
Hpgirl

Unread post by Hpgirl »

What does that have to do with being a great parent? As far as I'm concerned, MG is perfectly polite, has manners, educated, doesn't whine and cry about every little thing. THOSE things reflect on C&K as parents. They obviously have taught her well. A child having a binki in their mouth by no means is hurting anybody or make someone a "bad parent" for letting their child carry that on.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

RootBeerFloatie wrote:I'm not claiming any of them are abused and I do NOT think cps needs to be involved whatsoever. I just think it's irresponsible for a professional to ignore issues in these children just for networking purposes. It's not like they're struggling to provide for their family without these connections. Katie can see the things that we see, and probably more, and (I hope) none of us would fawn over BMEJ and blow smoke up their asses just to get more ten year olds to obsess over us.

Imo C&K don't fawn over them as you state and they aren't courting 10 year old viewers or blowing smoke up anyone's ass.
violet-kelsey black
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by violet-kelsey black »

His scared face so sad but funny! Watching him trying to ski for the first time reminded me of Johnny Tsunami lol when he tries to fit in with the rich kids.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016012 ... 68e955.jpg[/img]

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

The only thing that bothers me about the binky was that a few months ago, they said she could only have it at bedtime and naptime, and then if she specifically asked for it. But now she has it all the time. Ever since she went through the bad time teething, they caved. So it's the inconsistency that bothers me.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

While consistency is key when parenting, I'm not really bothered by their change of mind. They are new parents and perhaps they gave it more thought and decided differently. Even if MG is ready enough to give it up most of the time, I don't think C&K are ready. Lol
Hpgirl

Unread post by Hpgirl »

You know what, I'm glad Cullen kinda put Oliver "in his place" (not quite sure if that's the correct term for it). It's so nice to see him stand up for MG and let the boys, Ollie and Jackson, know to share. First Jackson kept trying to take both phones and wouldn't let MG grab one. Then, Oliver was already taking MG's wubble bubble (despite already having his own). I'm so happy he stands up for his daughter and doesn't b.s around and doesn't let them get away with it just because they're his friends kids.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

He handled those kids really well too.
Amelia322
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Amelia322 »

Look at jacksons teeth how they were getting he's 2 now and you can tell he used a binky, I hope they stop soon..it looks awful..plus she seems pretty happy all the time I don't think she needs it like they think she does! They are perfectly okay with handling their daughters needs and don't need to shove a binky in all the time. I'm sure when it's time to wean they will go cold turkey and not give in which is good, hopefully they do it soon though..

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

The one time it really got to me was before Halloween when they were in a party store and MG was scared and instead of comforting her and moving away from what was scaring her, Katie kept shoving the binky in. We talked about it here at the time.
As far as talking to the other parents about child raising tactics, you have to be really careful with that. It's already been shown that both E&J and B&M are super defensive, judging by the way they delete remotely negative comments. So for Katie to say anything, she would have to word it so carefully. I wouldn't envy her that conversation!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
ladymama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ladymama »

I'm not a fan of the binky, but its a "not my kid" thing for me. I understand them changing their minds, parents change their opinions a lot when they actually personally deal with a situation. You learn what works best for you and your kids

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk
angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by angelfire89 »

My big issue with MGs binky use is that they tend to shove it in her mouth every time she starts to fuss or even if she's talking too much while they're trying to talk to the camera. Seems like that would create a larger dependence. Wouldn't the manners they seem to be trying to instill her be better learned by asking her to be quiet for a moment rather than just a "shut up plug"?
geezeeuss
Informer
Informer

Unread post by geezeeuss »

Hpgirl wrote:You know what, I'm glad Cullen kinda put Oliver "in his place" (not quite sure if that's the correct term for it). It's so nice to see him stand up for MG and let the boys, Ollie and Jackson, know to share. First Jackson kept trying to take both phones and wouldn't let MG grab one. Then, Oliver was already taking MG's wubble bubble (despite already having his own). I'm so happy he stands up for his daughter and doesn't b.s around and doesn't let them get away with it just because they're his friends kids.
Cullen gets on my ever lasting nerves at times, but I'll give credit where credit is due. He certainly gets a thumbs up from me for stepping in and telling Oliver no. Oliver is the kid that no one is going to want their kid around.

As far as Katie giving Missy and Ellie advice or even just bringing up any concerns... That's a fine line to be walking on. People, friends, get very defensive, very quick, and like to throw "you think you're better than me because you have a degree" in your face even when it truly comes from your heart.
ladymama
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by ladymama »

Kryptonite wrote:For the record, I never meant that Katie should be advising them.

I simply wondered if she noticed certain parenting flaws or reactions to them (obvious example: if someone isn't disciplining their child and that child doesn't listen to them).

If you were a pediatrician and your friend's child has a cough, I'm sure you'd secretly think "that cough sounds like s/he has x". Of course if you're a pediatrician, you could probably say that.

That's all I meant by that. I assume my post started this discussion lol!
Your post may have got the ball rolling, but it was the post that stated she was in the wrong for not correcting their parenting that started the argument :)

Sent from my SGH-T999V using Tapatalk

Return to “Cullen and Katie”