tori
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Wander

Unread post by tori »

kittypurry wrote:
tori wrote:Wait, are Kelsey and Missy related? They look wicked similar to me...

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
They were friends in high school
That's so odd. They look like they could be cousins to me!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Playsinrain wrote:
I just want to share my overall opinion about them, and i won't post about them anymore here, bc i know people don't like when we get off topic and they have their own forum so... I also want to preface this with saying i don't mean any of this in a bad way towards you Blessed, i just want to share what i think.

I really like Kelsey and Corbin and im super excited for them. I'm jealous that they are getting to do something i have always dreamed of.. That hippy nomad life is something i have always dreamed of indulging but I've never gotten too. I know a lot of people think its irresponsible and childish to just pack up and live that kind of life, but there are a lot of people who really wish they could do the same, like myself. I think Corbin is working, and i also think that (like someone else said) they are using savings or a trust fund.. something.. they seem responsible enough to have thought this through, Kelsey has said this was something they had been working towards for years. They are frugal people who enjoy the simple life and small places, they aren't caught up in material things like the Lannings. They may have been high school friends, but they are polar opposites too me. Its hard for me to think that they would ever be anything like Missy and Bryan. I just cant sit back and hate on someone who is following a dream. Yes, she unexpectedly got pregnant, she seems nervous and scared, which i think is totally normal! Kelsey is smart and is very healthy, she's not going to sacrifice the health of her baby for a trip. I'm very interested to see how she decides to handle this and how it will work while being on the road. Getting pregnant on "accident" happens to a ton of people, but they are adults and seem responsible (even if some think their lifestyle is irresponsible..) and will deal with it like adults. NFP does work, and I'm an example of that, been using it for over 11 years and never had an issue. Yes, things can and will happen, but you can't knock someone for their choice of birth control.

I guess another thing (and like i said Blessed, this isn't meant to "call you out" or anything like that...) is that i tend to see the good in people first. I don't sit back and think about how awful someone COULD be until they prove it too me. I assume everyone is honest and good people until they prove me wrong. I thought the same about B&M, until they showed their true colors. I just don't go into something expecting the worst and hoping people fail or act unbecoming. If they aren't as the seem they will prove it, they all will, but until they do i take them for what they show they are. Which to me is a young couple living out a dream they have had for years and years and now they have an exciting new chapter in their life. I'm happy for them and wish them all the best, until they prove me otherwise i will continue to be a fan. <3 (oh and the vlog i was talking about earlier, he was actually talking about needing faster internet to upload the vlogs, my bad.. i thought he said something about other work in that one. he does state in the vlog that was linked earlier about working for a company in Portland. )
You can absolutely leave everything behind and live out of a van for an extended road trip and see the country if that’s a desire. I don’t mean to pass judgement on that lifestyle. If you keep your expenses low, and bring in $1K or so a month on YouTube and do other side gigs that you can accomplish whenever you have an internet connection, I can see people making it work. But not with a child on the way. Once a child is in the picture, it’s no longer just about following your dreams. You need to provide for that child now.

(Personally, in my worldview, one’s twenties, especially late twenties, should really be about hunkering down and building your nest egg and your career so that you can do things later in life like start a family, put a down payment on a house, send your kids to college, retire someday, etc. All of that takes A LOT of money, forethought, and planning in this day and age to accomplish, unless you’re Bryan and Missy and hit it big on YouTube. If one wants to postpone all that until their 30s, that’s certainly their prerogative, but then time is no longer on your side and you’ll be racing to catch-up.)

And I’m absolutely not knocking Natural Family Planning; I only said that it takes a lot of research and discipline to do it correctly. I think anyone who uses it would agree. To my knowledge they’ve never used that term, they just kept saying they don’t use bitch control so I just assumed what they meant to say was that they use NFP. Clearly they weren't using it if she didn't even know she was pregnant until she was in her second trimester. Everything these two do seems to be done while flying by the seat of their pants.

The fact that they’re not canceling the trip and going back to reality now that they’re having a child is a big red flag for me. I’m sorry, but Corbin is not working full-time from the van. It’s just not feasible. The medical bills will start now and they have 6 short months before this child is their full-time responsibility. Kelsey is about to turn 26, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s been skating by on her parent’s health insurance as a dependent. The premium for bare bones insurance for these two is going to be at least $350 a month for both of them, plus more once the child is on their plan. Plus probably a deductible over $6,000 that you pay out of pocket before your insurance even kicks in. Just thinking about the most basic necessities, prenatal care along with a normal, uncomplicated delivery in the hospital with decent insurance is still going run you about $10K in deductibles and co-pays on top of premiums. They were ready to cancel the trip if the repairs on the van were too expenses, so something tells me they do not have very much in savings. And I don’t get “trust fund baby” from either one of them, but he went to a very expensive private college, so its possible. Or he qualified for financial aid and took out loans. I imagine what they did have in savings was going towards keeping them afloat on this trip.

I just don’t think they’ve really thought about this or crunched the numbers. They just see Bryan and Missy doing it without a care in the world, so I think they went for it and pretty soon reality will be setting in.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

HashtagBlessed wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:
I just want to share my overall opinion about them, and i won't post about them anymore here, bc i know people don't like when we get off topic and they have their own forum so... I also want to preface this with saying i don't mean any of this in a bad way towards you Blessed, i just want to share what i think.

I really like Kelsey and Corbin and im super excited for them. I'm jealous that they are getting to do something i have always dreamed of.. That hippy nomad life is something i have always dreamed of indulging but I've never gotten too. I know a lot of people think its irresponsible and childish to just pack up and live that kind of life, but there are a lot of people who really wish they could do the same, like myself. I think Corbin is working, and i also think that (like someone else said) they are using savings or a trust fund.. something.. they seem responsible enough to have thought this through, Kelsey has said this was something they had been working towards for years. They are frugal people who enjoy the simple life and small places, they aren't caught up in material things like the Lannings. They may have been high school friends, but they are polar opposites too me. Its hard for me to think that they would ever be anything like Missy and Bryan. I just cant sit back and hate on someone who is following a dream. Yes, she unexpectedly got pregnant, she seems nervous and scared, which i think is totally normal! Kelsey is smart and is very healthy, she's not going to sacrifice the health of her baby for a trip. I'm very interested to see how she decides to handle this and how it will work while being on the road. Getting pregnant on "accident" happens to a ton of people, but they are adults and seem responsible (even if some think their lifestyle is irresponsible..) and will deal with it like adults. NFP does work, and I'm an example of that, been using it for over 11 years and never had an issue. Yes, things can and will happen, but you can't knock someone for their choice of birth control.

I guess another thing (and like i said Blessed, this isn't meant to "call you out" or anything like that...) is that i tend to see the good in people first. I don't sit back and think about how awful someone COULD be until they prove it too me. I assume everyone is honest and good people until they prove me wrong. I thought the same about B&M, until they showed their true colors. I just don't go into something expecting the worst and hoping people fail or act unbecoming. If they aren't as the seem they will prove it, they all will, but until they do i take them for what they show they are. Which to me is a young couple living out a dream they have had for years and years and now they have an exciting new chapter in their life. I'm happy for them and wish them all the best, until they prove me otherwise i will continue to be a fan. <3 (oh and the vlog i was talking about earlier, he was actually talking about needing faster internet to upload the vlogs, my bad.. i thought he said something about other work in that one. he does state in the vlog that was linked earlier about working for a company in Portland. )
You can absolutely leave everything behind and live out of a van for an extended road trip and see the country if that’s a desire. I don’t mean to pass judgement on that lifestyle. If you keep your expenses low, and bring in $1K or so a month on YouTube and do other side gigs that you can accomplish whenever you have an internet connection, I can see people making it work. But not with a child on the way. Once a child is in the picture, it’s no longer just about following your dreams. You need to provide for that child now.

(Personally, in my worldview, one’s twenties, especially late twenties, should really be about hunkering down and building your nest egg and your career so that you can do things later in life like start a family, put a down payment on a house, send your kids to college, retire someday, etc. All of that takes A LOT of money, forethought, and planning in this day and age to accomplish, unless you’re Bryan and Missy and hit it big on YouTube. If one wants to postpone all that until their 30s, that’s certainly their prerogative, but then time is no longer on your side and you’ll be racing to catch-up.)

And I’m absolutely not knocking Natural Family Planning; I only said that it takes a lot of research and discipline to do it correctly. I think anyone who uses it would agree. To my knowledge they’ve never used that term, they just kept saying they don’t use bitch control so I just assumed what they meant to say was that they use NFP. Clearly they weren't using it if she didn't even know she was pregnant until she was in her second trimester. Everything these two do seems to be done while flying by the seat of their pants.

The fact that they’re not canceling the trip and going back to reality now that they’re having a child is a big red flag for me. I’m sorry, but Corbin is not working full-time from the van. It’s just not feasible. The medical bills will start now and they have 6 short months before this child is their full-time responsibility. Kelsey is about to turn 26, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s been skating by on her parent’s health insurance as a dependent. The premium for bare bones insurance for these two is going to be at least $350 a month for both of them, plus more once the child is on their plan. Plus probably a deductible over $6,000 that you pay out of pocket before your insurance even kicks in. Just thinking about the most basic necessities, prenatal care along with a normal, uncomplicated delivery in the hospital with decent insurance is still going run you about $10K in deductibles and co-pays on top of premiums. They were ready to cancel the trip if the repairs on the van were too expenses, so something tells me they do not have very much in savings. And I don’t get “trust fund baby” from either one of them, but he went to a very expensive private college, so its possible. Or he qualified for financial aid and took out loans. I imagine what they did have in savings was going towards keeping them afloat on this trip.

I just don’t think they’ve really thought about this or crunched the numbers. They just see Bryan and Missy doing it without a care in the world, so I think they went for it and pretty soon reality will be setting in.
I totally agree that expenses are going to be super high now, and we know it wasnt something that they planned on or included in their budget for this trip. I do think things will have to change now that they are pregnant, they are running out of time quickly to get prepared for this baby. It's going to be super interesting how they handle this and will show their true colors. I feel like they will be hitting a few more national parks to check them off the bucketlist and then be heading home to prepare. At least thats what i would be doing at this point. At the very least this will make for some interesting talk on here for them, even though i wish them the best. lol! We have no idea what their financial situation is , so i don't really like to speculate, BUT they are for sure going to have to have some sort of steady influx of funds now, like you say, they have another person that will be depending on them now. Lets just hope that Kelsey isn't one of those crazy free birthing people who shuns all medical care and has her baby in a creek in the woods! (you can find some crazy ass shit on YT when you start falling down rabbit holes!! LMAO!!) I highly doubt that but yeah i would completely do a 180 on my opinion of them then. there are a lot of logistics that im questioning, just like you (money, healthcare, living arrangements) but i just don't want to cast blind judgement right yet.
907ninja
Informer
Informer

Unread post by 907ninja »

So the clickbait begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

Thats so funny you said that! I was just coming here to see what people think she will do for her birthing experience. I can totally see her having at least a home birth if not having it in the woods..

Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

marshmallowfluf wrote:Thats so funny you said that! I was just coming here to see what people think she will do for her birthing experience. I can totally see her having at least a home birth if not having it in the woods..

I would be 100% supportive of her having a home birth.. but please lord don't have that baby in the creek. #creekbaby :lol:
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

907ninja wrote:So the clickbait begins.

Ha! I thought the same thing.

My impression from today's video is that she is not pleased to still be on this road trip now that they know they have a baby to prepare for, and he's still kind of blissfully unaware and actually thinks they'll continue through November. The next few weeks will be telling. While I don't see her giving birth in the woods, I would not be at all surprised if she attempts a home birth. Time will tell.
907ninja
Informer
Informer

I support everyone's choice of birth. I've had one medicated(epidural) and one unmedicated birth. Recovery is night and day.
Ha! Creek baby. There's actually a lady who had her baby in a creek... It's on YouTube. I just hope she doesn't have the baby in the van.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I will see them in a much more positive light if they wrap the trip up within the next month, find stable housing, and start talking about steady employment again. I found an old Q&A where they answer a question about how they will support themselves from the road, and they cite an emergency fund for when the van breaks down (which I'm sure they've already dipped into significantly given the number of mechanical problems they've had), YouTube income, Kelsey selling her artwork (do they have an online shop I don't know about?) and Corbin continuing to do his "Portland job" whenever they are in towns and find wifi. So it definitely doesn't sound like a full-time salaried position with benefits. I'd be despondent if I was in that position financially and my husband's reaction to all of this was "Well, we don't need to cancel the trip, right?" This sounds harsh, but he's a 27-year-old-man. Find a job and support your family. Then again, she married him, she knows him better than any of us do, and she willingly chose to forgo birth control and started taking prenatal vitamins, so clearly there was a plan of some sort. They've gained almost 10K new subscribers since they announced. I'm not sure that's enough views to live off of, especially if their network is taking a portion.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

907ninja wrote:I support everyone's choice of birth. I've had one medicated(epidural) and one unmedicated birth. Recovery is night and day.
Ha! Creek baby. There's actually a lady who had her baby in a creek... It's on YouTube. I just hope she doesn't have the baby in the van.

I'm pretty sure you have seen the same one i did lol, werent they in the jungle or something? And flies were crawling all over the baby... omg it made me crazy. Also, i love how we have gone from omg shes pregnant to omg please don't birth in the wood in like 2.3 seconds.. gossip forum at its finest!! :lol:
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Does it confuse/annoy anyone else at how behind they are on vlogs? I get that they only do 5 days and that they are still filming even on days "off" but I'm confused at their timeline. Yesterday's vlog she said that they were hopefully going to get a US the next day, which the US pics they posted were dated the 25th (i think) and she said by the time you see this i'll be around 11 weeks... but the US said 11w5d on the 25th! So shes actually around 13 weeks now? If i had any complaint about them it would be the lack of "real time" vlogging. It just makes things confusing.
aurora85
Talker
Talker

Unread post by aurora85 »

She couldn't have known for very long or has been secretly hiding it from her husband because she has been drinking beer with him a lot up until now. Isn't it a huge no no for Americans to consume any alcohol while pregnant?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
PhoenixFeathers
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PhoenixFeathers »

aurora85 wrote:She couldn't have known for very long or has been secretly hiding it from her husband because she has been drinking beer with him a lot up until now. Isn't it a huge no no for Americans to consume any alcohol while pregnant?

Do we actually see her drink beer on the vlog? I haven't watched very many of their's, but I do recall her with beer in hand, but not actually drinking it. (Thinking of the Canada Day vlog in partulicular)

Seems weird lengths to go to try and hide a pregnancy by pretending to drink. But continuing to drink while she new she was pregnant really bothers me.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

aurora85 wrote:She couldn't have known for very long or has been secretly hiding it from her husband because she has been drinking beer with him a lot up until now. Isn't it a huge no no for Americans to consume any alcohol while pregnant?

I always thought it was odd that she started taking prenatal vitamins because they weren't preventing, by didn't cut out alcohol. They regularly both have a beer or wine glass with their meals. I think she's just clueless and didn't know, but I would think along with the vitamins her doctor would recommend that she stop drinking.

I'm guessing they're over a week behind on the vlogs? I'm guessing the ultrasound they posted labeled at almost 12 weeks gestational age is their first prenatal appointment and the ultrasound is dated July 25. In today's video they say they're going to the appointment tomorrow.

Corbin clarified today that he works part-time and Kelsey writes for a blog. Yikes.
Last edited by HashtagBlessed on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
PhoenixFeathers
Talker
Talker

Unread post by PhoenixFeathers »

*knew not new.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

HashtagBlessed wrote:

I always thought it was odd that she started taking prenatal vitamins because they weren't preventing, by didn't cut out alcohol. They regularly both have a beer or wine glass with their meals. I think she's just clueless and didn't know, but I would think along with the vitamins her doctor would recommend that she stop drinking.

I'm guessing they're over a week behind on the vlogs? I'm guessing the ultrasound they posted labeled at almost 12 weeks gestational age is their first prenatal appointment and the ultrasound is dated July 25. In today's video they say they're going to the appointment tomorrow.
I'm also confused by their timeline and wish they would date their videos. I'd guess she took the pregnancy test sometime between July 4 - 10, and hasn't been drinking since then. Cutting out drinking completely while they were naturally preventing wasn't necessarily a concern to them. If Kelsey only had two or three beers a week, that probably wouldn't hurt the baby. I know a lot of people would frown on it, but in reality it was probably okay. *short personal story* My mom found out she was pregnant with me right after she went on vacation where she drank wine and I turned out...well, relatively average. :P
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

fossilfinger wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:

I'm also confused by their timeline and wish they would date their videos. I'd guess she took the pregnancy test sometime between July 4 - 10, and hasn't been drinking since then. Cutting out drinking completely while they were naturally preventing wasn't necessarily a concern to them. If Kelsey only had two or three beers a week, that probably wouldn't hurt the baby. I know a lot of people would frown on it, but in reality it was probably okay. *short personal story* My mom found out she was pregnant with me right after she went on vacation where she drank wine and I turned out...well, relatively average. :P
I'm not even sure they were "naturally preventing"- if they were using a calendar based method or a symptom based fertility awareness method, how did she not test until she was almost out of the first trimester? In my mind, if your doctor is putting you on prenatal vitamins because you're sexuality active and not using "any form of birth control," (Kelsey's words) you shouldn't be drinking. A study that took place over 27 years found that the first trimester (specifically the second half of the first trimester, so weeks 7 through 12) to be the most sensitive time for a developing fetus in regards to alcohol and neurological problems. Obviously there are other factors that influence risk, so each case is different. Any amount of alcohol consumption raises that risk though, specifically in the second half of the first trimester when the embryo is developing all the major organs. If they were using a reliable method of birth control, I wouldn't fault her for drinking. But it seems pretty obvious that they weren't. She said that she wanted to be on the vitamins to ensure a baby got the correct nutrients in order to be "responsible" but it didn't occur to her to stop drinking?
funckyerdoder
Talker
Talker

Unread post by funckyerdoder »

She mentioned in the video from yesterday (i think) that she has an irregular period, I guess that's why she didn't test until 11 weeks. Yes they were not preventing, but IIRC they haven't been preventing for years and this might not have been the first time where she didn't get her periods for months.
907ninja
Informer
Informer

I'm pretty sure you have seen the same one i did lol, werent they in the jungle or something? And flies were crawling all over the baby... omg it made me crazy. Also, i love how we have gone from omg shes pregnant to omg please don't birth in the wood in like 2.3 seconds.. gossip forum at its finest!! :lol:[/quote]

I don't remember the flies... But that is horrifying!
The one I've seen is an Australian lady. He other child is playing in the creek behind her..the birth on area is seperate pooled area.

kittypurry
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by kittypurry »

funckyerdoder wrote:She mentioned in the video from yesterday (i think) that she has an irregular period, I guess that's why she didn't test until 11 weeks. Yes they were not preventing, but IIRC they haven't been preventing for years and this might not have been the first time where she didn't get her periods for months.
It's so weird to me that she had the foresight to take prenatals because the chance of pregnancy is so high, but not to test once a month, especially with irregular cycles.

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”