Bonnie and Joel: Don't Call Me Bud - Part 5

shewolf_07
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Bonnie and Joel: Don't Call Me Bud - Part 5

Unread post by shewolf_07 »

HelloSweetie wrote:For those that haven't watched yet I want to point out it was 40 seconds of funeral footage. I read the comments here before I watched, and what was described didn't exactly match what I saw. The only part that made me cringe was her vlogging the casket. I saw nothing wrong with anything else. Especially since Bonnie vlogs things she'd like to remember. This is real life, and like Joel said a "bittersweet day."
People should watch it for themselves. Joel says some nice words about his grandparents. It gives insight into who he is and how he was raised .
If someone dear to me passed, laying them to rest wouldn't exactly be a day I'd want to remember much less film....but I guess when you're a vlogger everything suddenly becomes vlogging material.
Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

I will say Joel's attitude about the funeral was so sweet. Talking about celebrating her life, and how he couldn't wait to hear stories about her. I agree the filming open casket was a bit much (although the kids are blocking her face).

The beginning of the vlog made me laugh and cringe. I can't believe some of the things cody did to Lincoln. Also, Olivia's comment about hoping cody didn't pee in her pjs after she lent them to him.

I was one of the first people to say Olivia had been annoying in the vlogs, but it seems as the summer is going, she has calmed down and now I find her funny and not annoying. Maybe being gone for school all the time made her want to share more than normal?
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

shewolf_07 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:For those that haven't watched yet I want to point out it was 40 seconds of funeral footage. I read the comments here before I watched, and what was described didn't exactly match what I saw. The only part that made me cringe was her vlogging the casket. I saw nothing wrong with anything else. Especially since Bonnie vlogs things she'd like to remember. This is real life, and like Joel said a "bittersweet day."
People should watch it for themselves. Joel says some nice words about his grandparents. It gives insight into who he is and how he was raised .
If someone dear to me passed, laying them to rest wouldn't exactly be a day I'd want to remember much less film....but I guess when you're a vlogger everything suddenly becomes vlogging material.
You may feel that way, but the LDS view death differently than many other faiths. It's a return home for their loved one.

I don't think wanting to remember a celebration of their life is a strictly vlogger thing. Some take advantage, but I don't think that was what Bonnie and Joel were doing.
Greys Encyclopedia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Greys Encyclopedia »

I agree with HS's above posts. I expected to go see Grandma laying fully exposed for a full 10 min vlog and there was less than a minute of tasteful footage. I also kind of cringed when they showed the kids looking over grandma, but honestly, it didn't feel disrespectful like DB vlogging Missy's grandpa's funeral. I bite my tongue on a lot of the crap said here because it's always over exaggerated but this was seriously a wtf moment for me.

I'd like to add, if we're going to attack youtubers for filming funerals now, (some are rightfully attacked) then we need to stop broadcasting celebrities' funerals on national TV too.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Greys Encyclopedia wrote:I agree with HS's above posts. I expected to go see Grandma laying fully exposed for a full 10 min vlog and there was less than a minute of tasteful footage. I also kind of cringed when they showed the kids looking over grandma, but honestly, it didn't feel disrespectful like DB vlogging Missy's grandpa's funeral. I bite my tongue on a lot of the crap said here because it's always over exaggerated but this was seriously a wtf moment for me.

I'd like to add, if we're going to attack youtubers for filming funerals now, (some are rightfully attacked) then we need to stop broadcasting celebrities' funerals on national TV too.
That's a good point about televised funerals. I watched Nancy Reagan funeral not long ago and thought nothing of it being unusual.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Sweet456
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Sweet456 »

Again to each their own. I haven't been to a funeral where they videoed it for a vlogs and she didn't video the service I just am a tad weird about it. I think before and after and capturing the family time is fine. Joel's little speech where he choked up about made me cry
WheresMyCoffee
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by WheresMyCoffee »

Greys Encyclopedia wrote:I agree with HS's above posts. I expected to go see Grandma laying fully exposed for a full 10 min vlog and there was less than a minute of tasteful footage. I also kind of cringed when they showed the kids looking over grandma, but honestly, it didn't feel disrespectful like DB vlogging Missy's grandpa's funeral. I bite my tongue on a lot of the crap said here because it's always over exaggerated but this was seriously a wtf moment for me.

I just dont understand your logic. Because it was less than a minute it is OK??? so is it OK if its less than a minute of a child on the potty, in the bath, throwing a fit, or standing in a diaper but if it is longer than that it ventures into exploiting? Where do you draw the line? Under 59 seconds OK, 61 seconds bad?
She should have been in the moment not holding a camera up.
Greys Encyclopedia
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Greys Encyclopedia »

Wow, okay. Let's put words in my mouth.

1. I said I expected 10 min of the funeral service, not less than a min based on everyone's freak out here. Yes I see a difference, if you don't, whatever. (You know differing opinions, those things are allowed here)

2. Funeral footage and child exploitation are 100000000% different. A creep isn't going to go watch a funeral video to get off. Don't even fucking try to compare that shit. I haven't commented on my thoughts about bath footage because it's said a billion times by other posters. 2 seconds or 200 seconds, bath/potty footage is wrong but we can discuss that in the MO section where it belongs.

After rereading your post, and mine, several times I'm still trying to find where you came up with the child exploitation comment.
alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by alym0326 »

I have to agree that I don't see as big of a deal about funeral footage. For my grandfathers funeral we took pictures of the flowers, the pictures we put together of him, family and friends, the case with his ashes, etc., and posted it to Facebook for friends and family across the country to see as we lived 24 hours away from where the majority of his family was.

In my personal opinion I don't think many things in this thread are over exaggerated at all. I feel like most things talked about are worth talking about and no ones trying to make it seem worse than it is. Except for this situation, just like HS & Greys said, I read here thinking it'll be a full vlog of funeral footage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwimumof-5
Informer
Informer

Unread post by kiwimumof-5 »

The funeral footage didnt bother me, my uncle's was actually live streamed and I've been at other funerals that were filmed, but anyway, Grandma Carrigan! I always enjoyed hearing Joel talk about her with so much respect, I found it fascinating that she would send each grandkid and great grandkid birthday cards, how did she keep track? My own grandmother only has five grandkids and disowned one and five great grandkds and hardly remembers who is who

Sent from my m2 using Tapatalk
Sweet456
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Sweet456 »

Idk it's just different, I personally don't like or would like someone with a vlogging camera walking around at my grandma's funeral. Vlogging in general is just awkward to me. Now clearly she was ok'd by Joel and his family to vlog to an extent. She did mention some didn't want to be in the vlog and she respected. So no matter what it doesn't matter what I do or don't like lol and that's ok!! I've never watch E+J 's family funeral footage but the dumps- grandpa's funeral I think it was was cringeworthy
imnottired
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by imnottired »

Whether it was tasteful or not to vlog the funeral, I really enjoy seeing Bonnie and Joel's insights on topics like these. I loved how Joel said he was excited to share stories and celebrate her life. I teared up a little bit. That is so sweet.

Bonnie seems like someone who understands and respects boundaries. I can't see her filming if family asked her not to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alym0326
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by alym0326 »

Off topic: I couldn't help but think of Bonnie today while reading the news. A little boy around codys age got out of his house without his parents knowing and drowned in a lake 200 metres from his home... I couldn't help but think of the time the boys got out without Bonnie and Joel knowing and tipped over a bunch of garbage cans on their street. Thank goodness the Hoelleins seem to live in a fairly safe neighbourhood with no main streets or lakes. Sorry for bringing up old news, just couldn't help but think of it after hearing the news.

Denlillehavfrue
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Denlillehavfrue »

One of the reasons i watch vloggers is because I like seeing how different families are. One thing in my family is that kids never go to funerals. Everyone in my family is weirdly against it. I like seeing other families approach to what age is appropriate for kids and such. They clearly showed them everything.

also not to laugh at a very sad situation, but Joel being slightly irritated when cody said "she died?" and him being like "thats what passed away means" made me laugh, so much innocence in children.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

Denlillehavfrue wrote:One of the reasons i watch vloggers is because I like seeing how different families are. One thing in my family is that kids never go to funerals. Everyone in my family is weirdly against it. I like seeing other families approach to what age is appropriate for kids and such. They clearly showed them everything.

also not to laugh at a very sad situation, but Joel being slightly irritated when cody said "she died?" and him being like "thats what passed away means" made me laugh, so much innocence in children.
It is interesting to see how they look at passing away as a celebration of their life. As kids we didn’t attend funerals either.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
formerctfxcer
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Bonnie and Joel: Don't Call Me Bud - Part 5

Unread post by formerctfxcer »

I won't be watching. My own grandmother's death is too fresh and personally, I would have hated someone filming at her funeral. Just my personal opinion. I don't hate Bonnie for doing it, just isn't what I would have done or wanted someone to do in the same situation.

ETA: I remember people praising E+J for their vlog about his grandpa's funeral. I thought it was inappropriate then and I still do. Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
RootBeerFloatie
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by RootBeerFloatie »

I don't think it's the same as celebrity funerals because those people chose to live their lives in the spotlight, while grandma didn't. I think it all hinges on how okay the deceased would personally be with being filmed. I would think probably not so much, but I didn't know her personally so that's not my call.

I still do think the best way to handle it would be talking about it after, because turning on a camera at a funeral would just seem very rude to me.
beachygirly
Informer
Informer

Unread post by beachygirly »

I would have preferred if Bonnie didn't show the casket at all, but what she did show wasn't that bad. I've seen people on Instagram and Facebook post pictures of the entire open casket which is VERY disrespectful. So what she showed could have been a lot worse. I was just paying attention to the sweet moment of Joel holding his children and remembering the life of his grandmother. I didn't even pay attention how much of the casket was visible.
WheresMyCoffee
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by WheresMyCoffee »

Greys Encyclopedia wrote:Wow, okay. Let's put words in my mouth.

1. I said I expected 10 min of the funeral service, not less than a min based on everyone's freak out here. Yes I see a difference, if you don't, whatever. (You know differing opinions, those things are allowed here)

2. Funeral footage and child exploitation are 100000000% different. A creep isn't going to go watch a funeral video to get off. Don't even fucking try to compare that shit. I haven't commented on my thoughts about bath footage because it's said a billion times by other posters. 2 seconds or 200 seconds, bath/potty footage is wrong but we can discuss that in the MO section where it belongs.

After rereading your post, and mine, several times I'm still trying to find where you came up with the child exploitation comment.
I will never ever in my life understand why people get so worked up about comments from strangers on the internet. Seriously, you don't need to be rude or get worked up. (Also, you state sarcastically " differing opinions, those things are allowed here" but then tell me "dont even fucking try to compare..." so you are telling me I am not allowed to have my own opinion. Though I do agree with you potty/bath shots should never be allowed, please dont tell me what I am allowed or not allowed to think) My point was I dont understand why the amount of time something is shown matters. She showed Joels grandmother in her casket. Granted it was a quick shot and not showing the face but she still showed it, so I am asking WHY that is OK? That is a private moment, regardless of how her religion celebrates it. Joels family doesnt like being on youtube so how do the children of the deceased feel, the other grandchildren? etc... I just think it was a very strange moment to want to capture for youtube. I am not comparing funeral footage to naked children I was pointing out flawed logic in the "amount of time" something is shown.

Return to “Bonnie Hoellein”