Gossiper
Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Steps to Wander

Unread post by annaclinchwalsh963 »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Oops, double post.
Thank you very much for that
HashtagBlessed wrote:I agree, I'm not sure what they could have possibly expected in terms of prenatal care if they're on the road and have what I'm assuming is either sub-par insurance that at the very least is way out of network, or no insurance at all.

My friends with kids spent a lot of time finding the provider that they wanted to work with, from researching their policies regarding inducing and c-sections, to making sure they have admitting privileges to the hospital that's in their insurance network. Lots of practices just have blanket policies that they have to follow in order to work with a specific hospital and cover their liability, and it doesn't matter what you personally want. If they're this affected by something as simple as a "sterile" atmosphere, they have a lot of research and planning to do to find the right practice, otherwise they're going to be sorely disappointed by the process.

The provider they do find is going to be shocked to be seeing a patient for the first time at 24 weeks or so who has had no continuity of care. Are they requesting copies of everything so they can build their own personal medical file? I don't know how much a birthing center costs (most of my friends that have had babies recently have used midwife practices/birthing centers), but they still might find their options limited back in Oregon based on what they can afford or pay or who will accept their insurance.

Annaclinchwalsh963, in the US a free clinic is a non-profit health care provider that accepts Medicaid (insurance for low-income and needy people funded by federal and state tax dollars) or works with people based on a sliding scale of what they can afford to pay.

Sent from my SM-T2105 using Tapatalk
aurora85
Talker
Talker

Unread post by aurora85 »

Just watched the video where they see their baby....wow. Just wow. They are so naive. What the hell would they do if she got really bad morning sickness and had to be prescribed medication? That stuff is not cheap, I speak from experience. Poor princess, the dr office isn't 'warm and friendly and perfectly inviting so she hates it'. Boo hoo, life is tough -wear a helmet! If you want a warm inviting atmosphere go home an get yourself a good Midwife, an don't be surprised if you are put on a waiting list cause those gals are in high demand.

Sorry, I found that so frustrating to watch. I totally get the whole being scared and feeling sick from the pregnancy, as well as the anxiety that she feels about going to the Dr...but the rest makes me wonder how these two can see the sun cause their expectations show me they have their heads so far up their asses.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

So they have known for quite a while that they were pregnant according to the update today.. She was 5 weeks when they found out. (never mind she clears it up later that the first dates were waaaaay off. so shes now only 9 weeks) And they were planning on TTCing later in the trip anyway.. Just happened sooner than they expected. I assume they were going to wait until the last few weeks to start really trying. The way she talked about the clinic in this video made me see what she meant, and i'm on her side with this one. Sure it was a clinic and its not going to be homey but she said the staff was unkind and judgmental, and thats not what she would have wanted for her first visit. Who would want that? And shame on the staff for acting that way. I feel bad that this was her first experience and understand why it ruined the visit for her. She made me giggle about being happy with her pregnancy boobs.. lol. She seems happier in the update. I dont think she was unhappy at all before, i think she was just shell shocked.. I'm excited for them!! :)
They have been staying in Canada correct? Was that part of the plan to stay north for so long? Wondering if they changed the trip around and are staying in one place longer than they had first planned now.
usernamessuck
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by usernamessuck »

It sounds like she has a midwife back home (did I hear that correctly?). I'm just not understanding how this trip is more important than going to see your midwife, but I'll let it slide.

I can see why her and Missy are friends. There were a lot of complaints in that bumpdate.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
just_me
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by just_me »

I wonder if Missy gave her advice on how to be pregnant while vlogging.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Playsinrain wrote:So they have known for quite a while that they were pregnant according to the update today.. She was 5 weeks when they found out. (never mind she clears it up later that the first dates were waaaaay off. so shes now only 9 weeks) And they were planning on TTCing later in the trip anyway.. Just happened sooner than they expected. I assume they were going to wait until the last few weeks to start really trying. The way she talked about the clinic in this video made me see what she meant, and i'm on her side with this one. Sure it was a clinic and its not going to be homey but she said the staff was unkind and judgmental, and thats not what she would have wanted for her first visit. Who would want that? And shame on the staff for acting that way. I feel bad that this was her first experience and understand why it ruined the visit for her. She made me giggle about being happy with her pregnancy boobs.. lol. She seems happier in the update. I dont think she was unhappy at all before, i think she was just shell shocked.. I'm excited for them!! :)
They have been staying in Canada correct? Was that part of the plan to stay north for so long? Wondering if they changed the trip around and are staying in one place longer than they had first planned now.
Maybe someone on staff tried to talk to her about maintaining a primary healthcare provider throughout her pregnancy, and they took that to be "judgmental." They come off as so naive and yet so over confident, I can't imagine what it would be like to have to talk to them about the real world.
Nothankyou
Informer
Informer

Unread post by Nothankyou »

HashtagBlessed wrote:
Playsinrain wrote:So they have known for quite a while that they were pregnant according to the update today.. She was 5 weeks when they found out. (never mind she clears it up later that the first dates were waaaaay off. so shes now only 9 weeks) And they were planning on TTCing later in the trip anyway.. Just happened sooner than they expected. I assume they were going to wait until the last few weeks to start really trying. The way she talked about the clinic in this video made me see what she meant, and i'm on her side with this one. Sure it was a clinic and its not going to be homey but she said the staff was unkind and judgmental, and thats not what she would have wanted for her first visit. Who would want that? And shame on the staff for acting that way. I feel bad that this was her first experience and understand why it ruined the visit for her. She made me giggle about being happy with her pregnancy boobs.. lol. She seems happier in the update. I dont think she was unhappy at all before, i think she was just shell shocked.. I'm excited for them!! :)
Maybe someone on staff tried to talk to her about maintaining a primary healthcare provider throughout her pregnancy, and they took that to be "judgmental." They come off as so naive and yet so over confident, I can't imagine what it would be like to have to talk to them about the real world.
I wonder if the clinic also performs abortion. It may have been awkward for staff members who are normally counseling couple with unintended pregnancy to switch the mind frame to one of being elated about being pregnant. Kelsey may have also felt weird about being in a clinic where many women were there with unwanted pregnancies while she was very excited.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jedoc1
Talker
Talker

Unread post by Jedoc1 »

What kind of prenatal care is she supposed to have? Wont she be 6 months when theyre back? Where im from there is only 4 appointments before 24 weeks and shes already had 2 of them so i dont see the benefit in going home just to be near a doctor...

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk
usernamessuck
Gossiper
Gossiper

I have a problem with why she wouldn't want to be with one doctor for her entire pregnancy. Just to have all her records in one place, and a person she can trust if something goes wrong.

Besides that, what about preparing for a baby? They are living in a van. When they get back she'll be 6 months right? They are going to find a house/apartment in 3 months and furnish it to be ready for when that baby comes. Find steady jobs (because I really don't think either of them are working full time). That's a lot to do in 3 months. I just hope they have really thought this through and aren't so naive to just think everything is going to fall into place.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

usernamessuck wrote:I have a problem with why she wouldn't want to be with one doctor for her entire pregnancy. Just to have all her records in one place, and a person she can trust if something goes wrong.

Besides that, what about preparing for a baby? They are living in a van. When they get back she'll be 6 months right? They are going to find a house/apartment in 3 months and furnish it to be ready for when that baby comes. Find steady jobs (because I really don't think either of them are working full time). That's a lot to do in 3 months. I just hope they have really thought this through and aren't so naive to just think everything is going to fall into place.

I agree. I'm hoping the midwife she mentioned seeing in February has agreed to take her on and she has her first prenatal appointment with that midwife when they've back in the Portland area, and the midwife is telling her what records to ask for copies of. But if something were to go wrong or they were to have questions about something that doesn't seem right between appointments, they don't have an office that they can call and immediately go in. That would make me very nervous, and it could get expensive if they're heading to the ER or a clinic for something.

And yes, finding housing and steady jobs is an endeavor. They'll need to apply and have proof of employment in order to lease an apartment. I don't think Corbin was ever a full-time employee with benefits at his current job. He said he quit his previous job suddenly with nothing lined up. I think he found something along the lines of a long-term temp contract position that allowed him to go part-time for this road trip. Most employers are not going to let a full-fledged employee cut his hours down for 7 months or so, and be part-time from the road without a home office. Similarly, a full-time employee is not going to walk away from employer health insurance and benefits. I think he quit his steady job unceremoniously, and they saw it as an opportunity to do this road trip and try to do YouTube full-time, so he took a contract position to tide them over in the interim. The fact that they were going to "start trying" (in my mind, if you're not preventing, you're trying, but whatever) towards the end of the trip is mind-boggling.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

HashtagBlessed wrote:[ The fact that they were going to "start trying" (in my mind, if you're not preventing, you're trying, but whatever) towards the end of the trip is mind-boggling.
This is the part I don't understand either. Why would you purposely start trying for a baby while you're on the road rather than wait until you're home and have settled into whatever your new housing is for at least a month or two, preferably after securing jobs? The fact that they planned to get pregnant on the road all along shows that they either planned it specifically for the YouTube views or that they have to jump from one life event to another and can't be content to wait until things are stable to make major decisions.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I hate how everyone here thinks they are dumbasses for not being on chemical birth control. My husband and i have been using NFP for over 11 years now without one worry or "scare". I don't take prenatals, and I drink pretty regularly (as in 2-4 times a month I'll have a few beers or a couple drinks). Now that i have opened that up about myself I feel like people will judge me and say im irresponsible bc im not acting like I'm pregnant. bc apparently NFP is considered TTCing here. I just dont get the shaming for that. Kelsey was taking prenatals bc she knew that she wanted to get pregnant in the next year. Just bc your BC methods aren't the norm doesn't mean you have to start acting like you are pregnant. My sister was on BC pills and used a condom when she got pregnant with my nephew while she was in college. Found out she was pregnant 4 days after she went to a Jimmy Buffett concert and was drinking like a fish, her dr told her not to worry about it. Point of that story is that every type of BC has a failure rate, and while yes NFP has a higher rate than other forms, its not any different. Unless you are taking prenatals, not drinking and acting like you are pregnant while on your choice of BC it seems a little hypocritical to shame someone else for doing the same.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

It sounds like they weren't actually using NFP, but more "not trying not preventing". Plus they actually stated they were about to try. I don't see anyone here criticizing her method of birth control, more the fact that they were specifically planning to get pregnant during the road trip. Personally I think there is a lot more going on with their thought process than they reveal in the videos. I don't think they're going into this blind and just thinking everything will work out somehow. I think they know exactly where they're going to live when they get back to Portland and that they have a source of income that they're not revealing in the videos. I don't see them as the type of people who would plan a baby having no money or back-up plan. They are presenting themselves a certain way, but I doubt that's what's really going on.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

fossilfinger wrote:It sounds like they weren't actually using NFP, but more "not trying not preventing". Plus they actually stated they were about to try. I don't see anyone here criticizing her method of birth control, more the fact that they were specifically planning to get pregnant during the road trip. Personally I think there is a lot more going on with their thought process than they reveal in the videos. I don't think they're going into this blind and just thinking everything will work out somehow. I think they know exactly where they're going to live when they get back to Portland and that they have a source of income that they're not revealing in the videos. I don't see them as the type of people who would plan a baby having no money or back-up plan. They are presenting themselves a certain way, but I doubt that's what's really going on.
I understand what you mean about them not trying but trying.. Maybe i took it a bit too personal but all the comments about how she was irresponsible for drinking/living in a van/traveling when she wasn't or didn't know she was pregnant irked me quite a bit.
I agree with you.. I think they have housing lined up and probably full time jobs as well (Corbin could be just taking a hiatus of some type at his job and just working remotely for x amount of time until he has to be back? Possible??). Especially since they did say they were planning on ttcing closer to the end of the trip. As much grief as people are giving them about being irresponsible with this trip i just don't see them as irresponsible people. They seem well educated, and have common sense, and i think they do have a back up plan and a future plan already in place for when they get back. Time will tell.. Like i said before, I have a tendency to look for the good in people first and let them prove to me otherwise.

Also, on Corbin's IG story thing, he said they are enjoying their babymoon, and they are clearly at a hotel. Vlogs are way behind realtime and those IG posts make me think that they are wrapping this trip up and slowly heading back to Portland. Could be wrong but thats what im taking from it. Plus they havent really ventured out of the Northern half of the trip. Just makes me think that they are planning on cutting things short.
aral12
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by aral12 »

I wasn't the biggest fan of her but I didn't dislike her, unfortunately the more things she's posted since the pregnancy announcement the more she's reminded me of Missy :/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

If you watch her 9 week update, it sounds like they stopped using NFP when they started the road trip. It definitely sounds like they switched to "not preventing" with the intention of getting pregnant this year. She says they thought they would get pregnant towards the end of the trip but it happened right away. And the drinking is somewhat of a moot point in my opinion now that they realized they were only 5 weeks when they found out and not almost out of the first trimester, as they previously stated. Though I still find it odd that she continued to drink when they were "not preventing." But it's not necessary dangerous if she stopped at 5 weeks, which is the same as someone testing and finding out when they're a week late.

The timeline has gotten so weird. The vlogs are outdated by at least 10 days and they do look like they're at a hotel now. I think Kelsey made an executive decision to scrap the rest of the trip.

I still don't think they have a secret income they're not disclosing. If Corbin had a full time job at the beginning of the year and they had planned to get pregnant, why would they choose to lose health insurance benefits right when wanted to get pregnant? On the other hand, if he was never a full-time employee and just a contract hire, they weren't losing any benefits by going on this trip. He might have cut back on his hours, but I don't think there's a full-time job with benefits waiting for him when they get back to Portland.

They're getting a big bump in views due to the pregnancy announcement and maybe making around $1,000 or more a month through YouTube now, plus whatever Corbin is doing on the side part-time. I'd be curious to see if the traffic Daily Bumps sent over and the uptick in views is sustainable.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

HashtagBlessed wrote:If you watch her 9 week update, it sounds like they stopped using NFP when they started the road trip. It definitely sounds like they switched to "not preventing" with the intention of getting pregnant this year. She says they thought they would get pregnant towards the end of the trip but it happened right away. And the drinking is somewhat of a moot point in my opinion now that they realized they were only 5 weeks when they found out and not almost out of the first trimester, as they previously stated. Though I still find it odd that she continued to drink when they were "not preventing." But it's not necessary dangerous if she stopped at 5 weeks, which is the same as someone testing and finding out when they're a week late.
Which makes her being super shell shocked and freaked out at first much more understandable. If the dr told her she was 11-12 weeks at first she probably about had a heart attacking thinking that she had been drinking for that long into the pregnancy. I was relieved for her when they said she was actually only about 5 weeks when they found out. She seemed relieved too. Another personal story, sorry, but we were trying with my second and i tested 3 days before my period would have started. It was New Years Eve and i wanted to know if i was in the clear to party lol, It came back positive, and i was elated, but i did have a single glass of champagne at midnight to celebrate. I figured that one glass isn't going to cause harm, and if we wernt actively trying at the time i wouldn't have known anyway. I've never regretted doing so, told my dr and she said she would have done the same. lol
I'm hoping the hotel stay does mean they are heading home.
I'm thinking trust fund/savings still. Only bc she said that thay have been working towards this trip for years. If they cut this trip short they woud still have funds set aside for the trip and could use that for housing, medical bills, baby gear ect. (Not that i think they have enough saved to cover ALL that, but they are pretty frugal people and i could see them at least getting some of the finances in order with that travel fund turned baby fund..)
usernamessuck
Gossiper
Gossiper

I liked them before th announcement, but lately the overall attitude I have gotten from the vlogs wasn't good. If the vlogs are as behind as ya'll say, I am just going to Chuck it up to they haven't made plans yet because they just found out. I don't follow them on any other social media. So I have no clue where they are.

I will say Kelsey looked more happy in the bumpdate than in the announcement.

As for the savings. Those can go very fast when having a baby. Having a baby is sadly very expensive (that's just having a baby not all the gear and stuff). So, it won't take much to drain that fund.

I am a little sad for them. I wanted to see them travel, but I want to see them make some responsible decisions in preparation for this baby more. I was looking forward to meeting them when they made it down here.

HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

So true. As I said in a previous post, an uncomplicated delivery in the hospital with decent insurance is going to cost about $6-10k in prenatal care and hospital expenses in copays and deductibles. That's not even including the monthly premium just to have the insurance in the first place. If someone has a high premium, low deductible plan this bill will obviously be smaller, but probably about the same once you factor in the high premium paid every month.

A birthing center will be about half of that cost, but if anything goes wrong or if the labor is difficult and you suddenly want that epidural, they're going to have to transfer you to a hospital and then you'll be paying for that.

I would think, at a minimum, you would want at least $10k set aside for the pregnancy and delivery, and then of course your average emergency fund with 6 months to a year's worth of expenses in savings for all the unexpected expenses. Plus room in your income for all the new monthly expenses that come along with babies, and what you need to put monthly into savings if you plan on having a college fund for your kids. I would be shocked of they've really considered any of that.

Return to “The Wander Family - Steps to Wander”