8 Passengers: Extreme Cheapskate Edition | Part Two

angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers: Extreme Cheapskate Edition | Part Two

Unread post by angelfire89 »

SweetAsANutMate wrote:
I've always wondered this about the Duggar family because they have 20 kids. I would be very surprised if every single one was 100% straight. Though in that family it's probably a choice between living a lie or being disowned by their family.
Off topic but if you go to the Free Jinger forum, it is pretty public info that more than one of their boys has been sent to conversion camps under the guise of that ALERT Academy. It's also apparently not a good idea to mention which kids seem to stay that way because that will indeed get them a trip to the academy if they haven't already been there. The main one who has been talked about was there for the better part of a year, covered up in the show using old footage of him in certain places.
LydiaE
Informer
Informer
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by LydiaE »

Wow. Great mothering in this "episode".

After 13 years of being a mother, Ruby hasn't learned to bring snacks along on outings and events. Someone's grandma had to give Eve and Russell a snack.

With a just turned 3 year old, why does Ruby not carry a bag with snacks, wipes, toys etc. like other mothers?

She made sure to position the camera so that she could be seen investigating Russell's "serious playground accident". This woman is awful.
smellycat801
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by smellycat801 »

LydiaE wrote:Wow. Great mothering in this "episode".

After 13 years of being a mother, Ruby hasn't learned to bring snacks along on outings and events. Someone's grandma had to give Eve and Russell a snack.

With a just turned 3 year old, why does Ruby not carry a bag with snacks, wipes, toys etc. like other mothers?

She made sure to position the camera so that she could be seen investigating Russell's "serious playground accident". This woman is awful.
I don't watch her much, but doesn't she also serve tiny portions at meals?

Small meals, no snacks, yet I seem to remember on one of her grocery hauls that she said she spends like $1,600 a month in groceries? Doesn't make much sense.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

[quote="LydiaE"]Wow. Great mothering in this "episode".

She made sure to position the camera so that she could be seen investigating Russell's "serious playground accident". This woman is awful.[/

You choose to have six children so it is perplexing to think you wouldn't realize this life is busy with activities. In a way, I am surprised Ruby lets them participate in sports and other activities due to the depiction about where all the kids need to be since she seemed overwhelmed. However, she has a new dress...

A change in schedule shouldn't require a mom to calm down her reaction or you need to be flexible.

The footage of Italy was sad to see with the devastation of the earthquake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
lalala
Informer
Informer

Unread post by lalala »

smellycat801 wrote:

Small meals, no snacks, yet I seem to remember on one of her grocery hauls that she said she spends like $1,600 a month in groceries? Doesn't make much sense.

1600 a month on groceries? Is she eating caviar and exotic fruit every night after the kids go to bed? How can you possibly spend that much on rice, pasta an canned veggies?

Her emergency food storage must be completely packed by now.
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

I can't help thinking her emergency food storage is so wasteful. It seems she never plans to use the majority of it, but keeps adding to it, and it will expire eventually. I know they sometimes go into it, but it only seems to be for small items like snacks. Why keep buying all this bulk food only to store it indefinitely when she already has a huge stash?

Also, is there a significance to Jennifer buying the girls rings? It seems like something related to their religion, but it doesn't seem like they are purity rings.
smellycat801
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by smellycat801 »

Nothing related to the religion.
Maybe just something special for the girls from Grandma.

angelfire89
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by angelfire89 »

lalala wrote:
smellycat801 wrote:

1600 a month on groceries? Is she eating caviar and exotic fruit every night after the kids go to bed? How can you possibly spend that much on rice, pasta an canned veggies?

Her emergency food storage must be completely packed by now.
my husband and I usually spend $75-100 a week on groceries so 4x the people could be close to $1600/month. But then I'm not great at shopping deals (I rely on Walmart Savings Catcher) and we're both overeaters.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

Her grocery budget is even confusing to me, and I watched the old Costco Haul where she complained about going hungry and upped her budget from $1200 to $1600. Like I saw what she bought and I still don't understand.

I can completely see how a family of 8 could spend $1600 a month. But I'm thinking about meats, vegetables, fruits, etc - hearty meals that meet and exceed nutritional needs. What I don't get is how she spends that much but only feeds her family small portions of carbs or condensed soup.

A lot of her hauls seem to focus on stuff for school lunches, and what I'd call snacks. It seems like she's spending a lot on those types of items, and personally I'm not really sure how a PB&J and a pudding cup and a granola bar (for example) is a better lunch than what's available at school - especially if it costs more than the school lunch.

It's completely puzzling. I still don't believe she had to go hungry when her budget was $1200 - if anything, she made bad choices. My grocery budget is miniscule and it is actually really tough to get by, so I don't appreciate her bullshit.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Dp, sorry
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

smellycat801 wrote:Nothing related to the religion.
Maybe just something special for the girls from Grandma.

I think it was a nice gift/souvenir ring from the Black Hills for their granddaughters who looked like they liked them. I do see another Jennifer positive and that is the piggy banks. Her digging in her purse looking for change and dollar bills will create great memories for her grandchildren.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
5Twist98
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by 5Twist98 »

In 2001 Jennifer got the kids toothbrushes and toothpaste for Christmas.
nutbagmcgee
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by nutbagmcgee »

5Twist98 wrote:In 2001 Jennifer got the kids toothbrushes and toothpaste for Christmas.
Eh, my kids get toothbrushes and toothpaste in their stockings.

The entire Griffiths family sucks at belongings, clothing and such. I don't get the Jennifer hate as a grandma though. She sucked as a mom but seems to do well as a grandma. My grandma was the same way, awful to her own children but doted on the grandkids.
liz749
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by liz749 »

nutbagmcgee wrote:
5Twist98 wrote:In 2001 Jennifer got the kids toothbrushes and toothpaste for Christmas.

The entire Griffiths family sucks at belongings, clothing and such. I don't get the Jennifer hate as a grandma though. She sucked as a mom but seems to do well as a grandma. My grandma was the same way, awful to her own children but doted on the grandkids.
We always got toothbrushes in our stockings for Christmas as well...all my cousins did. I don't think it's that unusual, it's a nice, practical stocking stuffer and it was fun to know we'd get one every year. We of course got other fun stuff but it's nice to have some practical gifts as well. It's not like if we needed a new tooth brush a month later our mom wouldn't go out and buy one. I would hope Jennifer would be the same way.

I think a lot of Jennifer's behaviors seem strange/off-putting to many because her Mormon culture is pretty foreign to many of us. On the surface it doesn't seem that different but it definitely shapes every aspect of their lives. Lots of her quirks and preferences can be attributed to her religion and upbringing in my opinion. It's not necessarily bad, just different from mainstream America...which makes it easy to gossip about and critique. I think she clearly loves the grandkids very, very much and they love her back. She seems to invest a lot of time and love in her relationships with each grandkid. I think the piggy bank thing is a great idea and loved that she went way out of the way and took the girls to Mount Rushmore. I think at their age, it was a worthy reason to miss school. I also liked the vlogs where they went back to family's home's out in the middle of nowhere bi found that to be very telling about the type of upbringing she had and how it probably shaped her parenting. I certainly don't agree with all her choices or preferences but I can understand where it's coming from. Ultimately all her kids turned out to be happy and productive members of society and they all seem quite close to her still so I don't think she was that awful of a parent either. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion but I think I'd be quite happy to be her grandchild...many of the activities they do remind me of my own grandma.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

We got toothbrushes and such in stockings as well. Mom said Santa didn't want us to get cavities from the candy, lol. We even got socks and clothing basics as gifts - but unlike Ruby, we were poor, so it made sense.

I'm still pretty sure Grandma Griff is a narcissist, but agree she loves all the grandkids. The girls' rings were very nice! And you would never guess that the lady who bought them is the same one whose daughters had to share a winter coat, lmao.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

liz749 wrote:
nutbagmcgee wrote:

We always got toothbrushes in our stockings for Christmas as well...all my cousins did. I don't think it's that unusual, it's a nice, practical stocking stuffer and it was fun to know we'd get one every year. We of course got other fun stuff but it's nice to have some practical gifts as well. It's not like if we needed a new tooth brush a month later our mom wouldn't go out and buy one. I would hope Jennifer would be the same way.

I think a lot of Jennifer's behaviors seem strange/off-putting to many because her Mormon culture is pretty foreign to many of us. On the surface it doesn't seem that different but it definitely shapes every aspect of their lives. Lots of her quirks and preferences can be attributed to her religion and upbringing in my opinion. It's not necessarily bad, just different from mainstream America...which makes it easy to gossip about and critique. I think she clearly loves the grandkids very, very much and they love her back. She seems to invest a lot of time and love in her relationships with each grandkid. I think the piggy bank thing is a great idea and loved that she went way out of the way and took the girls to Mount Rushmore. I think at their age, it was a worthy reason to miss school. I also liked the vlogs where they went back to family's home's out in the middle of nowhere bi found that to be very telling about the type of upbringing she had and how it probably shaped her parenting. I certainly don't agree with all her choices or preferences but I can understand where it's coming from. Ultimately all her kids turned out to be happy and productive members of society and they all seem quite close to her still so I don't think she was that awful of a parent either. I know I'm in the minority with this opinion but I think I'd be quite happy to be her grandchild...many of the activities they do remind me of my own grandma.
I don't think it is uncommon grandparents - grandchildren relationship are close and separate from parents - adult children. Whether it be Jared's parents, Griffith sisters' parents or Joel's parents, they seem great and how fortunate all these grandchildren know them so well.

These granddaughters will remember this trip forever and I tend to agree the school time off is alright with the idea they will catch them up. I am not sure why they couldn't go during the summer, but I assume there was a reason.

At some point too, your adult children own their behavior and no longer due to their upbringing. If I was Jennifer, I would be sitting both Ruby and Ellie down for a talk about their self absorbing, bizarre and bratty behavior displayed on YouTube. I don't think being Mormon means you act like her two daughters. Bonnie seems more grounded in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
alexmorgan
Informer
Informer

Unread post by alexmorgan »

liz749 wrote:
Another thought (and this is totally hypothetical, so don't take it that I'm saying a child can/does act gay) but what if Russell (or any of the children for that matter) turned out to be gay? With his personality I could imagine him repressing and hiding it for a very long time in fear of disappointing his family and them not allowing it. He would end up with some pretty serious mental health problems (especially because he already seems quite anxious to me). I hope for his sake (and all the griffiths kids) that this does not happen as I could foresee a very sad future for them because of their families values and visions for perfect families.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kind of OT but that also made me think of their religion, Kayli Butler has a gay sister (she has a YouTube channel aswell) and she seems to be fully accepted and has been in both shaytards and her videos before.
Actually, has Ruby ever mentioned the shaytards ? Somehow I can't remember her doing it. I know a bunch of family vloggers seem to be into them & trixin.
Sarai
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by Sarai »

Kayli just comes from an accepting family. Ruby has made it clear she's homophobic. There was a video from her old YouTube account posted in the last thread I think, and they were at Chick fil A in protest of gay marriage. I think if any of her kids were gay, it would be devastating for her.
lalala
Informer
Informer

Unread post by lalala »

RecklessDisregard wrote:Her grocery budget is even confusing to me, and I watched the old Costco Haul where she complained about going hungry and upped her budget from $1200 to $1600. Like I saw what she bought and I still don't understand.

I can completely see how a family of 8 could spend $1600 a month. But I'm thinking about meats, vegetables, fruits, etc - hearty meals that meet and exceed nutritional needs. What I don't get is how she spends that much but only feeds her family small portions of carbs or condensed soup.

A lot of her hauls seem to focus on stuff for school lunches, and what I'd call snacks. It seems like she's spending a lot on those types of items, and personally I'm not really sure how a PB&J and a pudding cup and a granola bar (for example) is a better lunch than what's available at school - especially if it costs more than the school lunch.

It's completely puzzling. I still don't believe she had to go hungry when her budget was $1200 - if anything, she made bad choices. My grocery budget is miniscule and it is actually really tough to get by, so I don't appreciate her bullshit.
Good point about the school lunches/snacks. Maybe that's where it all goes. Why doesn't she get something cheaper and healthier like a sandwich and a piece of fruit if she wants to save money?

Anyway, I'm not in the US so I don't know how similar prices are at the moment. But last year when I went to the US they seemed pretty similar. Some things were much cheaper in the US, and others much cheaper here, but it seemed to even out. Specially if I were to go to COSTCO or something, instead of Target.

Here, I'd have to splurge a LOT to get to 50 euros per week per person. When I go all out and buy a bunch of meat, laundry detergent, ice cream, lots of pre made food, I barely spend 100 total for me and my husband. And I don't go to the cheaper stores because they are too far away. I don't try that hard to save money on food either. I get what's on sale if I like it and get a few extras if it's a good deal, but if I want something I get it anyway even if it's not on sale. The only things I buy sale only are laundry detergent and toilet paper because they are extremely expensive here. Is that included in her budget too? Though I don't see how that could account for the difference since she would just use more proportionally. Anyway, 1600 is extremely hard for me to grasp because I have never had a receipt for any grocery store here that was above 100, ever.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

lalala wrote:
Good point about the school lunches/snacks. Maybe that's where it all goes. Why doesn't she get something cheaper and healthier like a sandwich and a piece of fruit if she wants to save money?

Anyway, I'm not in the US so I don't know how similar prices are at the moment. But last year when I went to the US they seemed pretty similar. Some things were much cheaper in the US, and others much cheaper here, but it seemed to even out. Specially if I were to go to COSTCO or something, instead of Target.

Here, I'd have to splurge a LOT to get to 50 euros per week per person. When I go all out and buy a bunch of meat, laundry detergent, ice cream, lots of pre made food, I barely spend 100 total for me and my husband. And I don't go to the cheaper stores because they are too far away. I don't try that hard to save money on food either. I get what's on sale if I like it and get a few extras if it's a good deal, but if I want something I get it anyway even if it's not on sale. The only things I buy sale only are laundry detergent and toilet paper because they are extremely expensive here. Is that included in her budget too? Though I don't see how that could account for the difference since she would just use more proportionally. Anyway, 1600 is extremely hard for me to grasp because I have never had a receipt for any grocery store here that was above 100, ever.
I could spend a hundred dollars a week for two of us pretty easily if it was an option - but we really don't like most traditional filler carbs and wouldn't chose to have them often if it could be avoided. Plus we both have bad junk food predilections - soda for my husband, ice cream for me.

I'm really surprised Ruby doesn't coupon, especially for paper products like toilet paper, and toiletries. I would think it would be a natural hobby of hers, as cheap as she is. I've not seen those sort of things included in her hauls, but surely they must be included in her budget?

Return to “8 Passengers”