8 Passengers: Extreme Cheapskate Edition | Part Two

izzythecat
Talker
Talker
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 8 Passengers: Extreme Cheapskate Edition | Part Two

Unread post by izzythecat »

What is with these Griffiths and their laundry rooms?? Good lord. That house had many positives, I don't think if I would turn it down because of the lack of a laundry room.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

Do they not realise they could renovate that house? Add a laundry room. That's the beauty of buying a house. And Kevin said that the house was like on clearance the price was so good. So use the money that you'd save buying a house "on clearance" and renovate it to make it your own. They could even get Joel to help, he's really good at that sort of thing and he'd be cheaper than contractors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LydiaE
Informer
Informer

Unread post by LydiaE »

These two aren't the brightest. I get wanting a house big enough to host holidays for future extended family, but with 6 kids, it will take a ridiculous custom build to ensure kids, in-laws, and grandkids can all fit together in one room to watch a movie, etc.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

LydiaE wrote:These two aren't the brightest. I get wanting a house big enough to host holidays for future extended family, but with 6 kids, it will take a ridiculous custom build to ensure kids, in-laws, and grandkids can all fit together in one room to watch a movie, etc.
It's strange. Someone pointed as well in the comments that on Zillow it is advertised that it has a laundry room.
Or is it not special enough for her?
Just buy more clothes instead...

http://photos.zillowstatic.com/p_f/ISp1 ... 000000.jpg
That kinda looks like a laundry room, doesn't it? It's from Zillow.
Looking through all the photos it's such a nice house and the backyard is just amazing!

The house has 5 bathrooms! How many do they have now, one?
Lydia, you are right that they will never find a house with enough rooms... How many do they need? 6 for them + 2 guests... 8 rooms?

If you look on zillow there are two houses with 8 bedrooms for around 440k, cheaper than the current one but they have the same sqf so the rooms might be even smaller. Why don't they just jump at the opportunity of improving their children's living conditions?
They don't care! They have their own room. When Eve was sick/frightened they moved her in Abby and Julie's bed not theirs, they couldn't care less.
They keep saying how they were poor when Kevin was doing his PhD but now even they are so lucky with YT, they do nothing..

They did that ridiculous photoshoot, wasted money on clothes and photographer and the channel banner is still the same.
GymChick
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by GymChick »

Some people don't want to renovate, the house wasn't my style and if I wanted to buy my final/dream home I probably wouldn't want to renovate either and want updated move in ready. The house is probably close to their budget, and when Kevin said "on clearance" prob means for the size of the house it's a really good price- but still close to their budget which means less room for renos. It seems like it was a last minute decision to check out that house. If they bought it right away without looking at other options I would have been shocked. It's smart of Ruby to set up an appointment with financial advisor first.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

izzythecat wrote:What is with these Griffiths and their laundry rooms?? Good lord. That house had many positives, I don't think if I would turn it down because of the lack of a laundry room.

They should really defer to Julie's opinion on the importance of a laundry room. Isn't she the one who actually does laundry after the 5:30 am wakeup call?

Based on the angle of that photo, I'd say Ruby is both correct and incorrect to say the house doesn't have a laundry room. It looks like a laundry *nook*, a little space with some cabinets. It may have walls but probably not a door. Whereas Ruby is thinking of a big, luxurious laundry room like Ellie's. The kind you hang mirrors and heirloom paintings in. :P
fossilfinger
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by fossilfinger »

I don't blame them for not buying the house. You could tell it wasn't their style, and they seem serious about moving soon so they probably will in the next year anyway. There is a lot more they could do to improve their kids' lives until then, though! I don't think living in that house is the worst thing...it's the parenting, or lack thereof in certain situations...
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Agree, the house they live in isn't the problem. Ruby has tried to shift subscribers' comments about her kids sleeping in beds together into this whole "getting a new house" plotline for her channel (as if it is a TV series). Kind of like her sister, Ellie "Everything will be different when we move into the property" Mecham. None of these peoples' problems have anything to do with their homes, which are all perfectly adequate.

I will go out on a limb and say that Ruby has put herself in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. We're criticizing her for not buying the house. We would also have criticized her for making an offer, since it is literally the first place they looked at and they apparently hadn't consulted a financial planner or mortgage lender.

Every once in a while, I find myself incline to cut Ruby a little slack. But then she goes and does something that makes me rage, lol.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

RecklessDisregard wrote:Agree, the house they live in isn't the problem. Ruby has tried to shift subscribers' comments about her kids sleeping in beds together into this whole "getting a new house" plotline for her channel (as if it is a TV series). Kind of like her sister, Ellie "Everything will be different when we move into the property" Mecham. None of these peoples' problems have anything to do with their homes, which are all perfectly adequate.

I will go out on a limb and say that Ruby has put herself in a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation. We're criticizing her for not buying the house. We would also have criticized her for making an offer, since it is literally the first place they looked at and they apparently hadn't consulted a financial planner or mortgage lender.

Every once in a while, I find myself incline to cut Ruby a little slack. But then she goes and does something that makes me rage, lol.
I don't know how you have an oldest and youngest sleeping arrangements like this when the youngest difficult behaviors are apparent. If they want everything on their future house wishlist, they will pay a lot more than this home.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

RecklessDisregard wrote:Agree, the house they live in isn't the problem. Ruby has tried to shift subscribers' comments about her kids sleeping in beds together into this whole "getting a new house" plotline for her channel (as if it is a TV series). Kind of like her sister, Ellie "Everything will be different when we move into the property" Mecham. None of these peoples' problems have anything to do with their homes, which are all perfectly adequate.

I don't know how you have an oldest and youngest sleeping arrangements like this when the youngest difficult behaviors are apparent. If they want everything on their future house wishlist, they will pay a lot more than this home.

seriously7
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by seriously7 »

People keep on complaining about Shari and Eve rooming together but what other option did they have? It looks like Shari had her own room until Eve came along. The boys need to be together. Abby and Julie have the smallest room and barely fit in it. If Eve would have gone in with Abby and Julie it wouldn't have made sense because they would have been too young to deal with her, even now they're only 7 and 9, whereas Shari is 13 and could cope. She shouldn't have too, but she is able too.
I just don't see where Eve could sleep besides in the room with Shari or the parents.

That office is clearly not fit for any of the kids to sleep in. I know they have a library and music room but those are open rooms with no doors.

They need to move, the house is too small.
LydiaE
Informer
Informer

Unread post by LydiaE »

Firstly, they should've thought of this issue and planned accordingly before Eve was born. This was so irresponsible on the parents' part.

If Eve has behavioral and sleep issues, she should sleep in the parents room, not be thrust upon her sisters. Ruby needs to tend to her "toddler". If she and Kevin want to get busy in the future, they should carry their asses to the moldy "office" and take care of business while Eve is asleep.

Common sense would have had me room Chad/Russell, Shari/Abby, and Julie/Eve, according to gender and age.

I would never have forced a potty trained teenager to share the same bed with a bratty 3 year old and her leaking pull-up. At the very least, they should be in twin or bunk beds.

Ruby and Kevin handled Eve peeing herself like preteen babysitters. When Eve was confronted and said "It's okay" Kevin sounded put-out and reacted like a sibling, not a dad. Ruby was detached as always.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

seriously7 wrote:People keep on complaining about Shari and Eve rooming together but what other option did they have? It looks like Shari had her own room until Eve came along. The boys need to be together. Abby and Julie have the smallest room and barely fit in it. If Eve would have gone in with Abby and Julie it wouldn't have made sense because they would have been too young to deal with her, even now they're only 7 and 9, whereas Shari is 13 and could cope. She shouldn't have too, but she is able too.
I just don't see where Eve could sleep besides in the room with Shari or the parents.

That office is clearly not fit for any of the kids to sleep in. I know they have a library and music room but those are open rooms with no doors.

It would be the best option to move with more bedrooms, but if they don't move the library or music room being renovated might be the an option or adding on a bedroom.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

tratra58 wrote:
seriously7 wrote:People keep on complaining about Shari and Eve rooming together but what other option did they have? It looks like Shari had her own room until Eve came along. The boys need to be together. Abby and Julie have the smallest room and barely fit in it. If Eve would have gone in with Abby and Julie it wouldn't have made sense because they would have been too young to deal with her, even now they're only 7 and 9, whereas Shari is 13 and could cope. She shouldn't have too, but she is able too.

It would be the best option to move with more bedrooms, but if they don't move the library or music room being renovated might be the an option or adding on a bedroom.

They at one time had Shari downstairs with a not terribly small room with the bunk bed. Shari was with her two sisters and Eve had her own room. Why did she move in with Eve? The downstairs TV/toy room has a door, could be a bedroom for one or two and the music room or library could be a family/toy room. There is room to make things better with giving up some of the extra type rooms. The TV/toy room has a closet and would be classified as a bedroom so they have 5 bedrooms.

RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

I'm too lazy to multi-quote, but a couple of you guys have made good points. We know Eve has issues sleeping through the night. In all likelihood, this is why she got dumped on Shari - someone has to deal with Eve, and Ruby/Kevin didn't want to. (Edit: She definitely did share with Abbyjulie before Eve). They should have considered that pre-conception; she's their responsibility, and in a cramped house full of kids who need their sleep to wake up at 5:30 am, there is no excuse for foisting Eve on Shari or the other girls. Eve should be in Ruby's room until her problems are resolved. My guess is that if Eve woke her father up regularly, her issues would get resolved FAST - he doesn't seem to get involved until issues affect him directly. It will never happen, but it's one solution in which an age-inappropriate bed-pairing could end.

The extra rooms definitely can be shuffled. I don't pay attention to which ones have doors/closets, but tratra says the Play Room has a door and could work as a bedroom. Combine functions of "music room" and " library," put toys in the newly-open room, and they are now one bedroom ahead. Depending on how you feel about mixed-gender room sharing for little kids, you could put Shari and Chad each in their own room, Abby and Julie sharing, and Russell/Eve. Dunno, they may be really against that, being so religious. I would be bothered if they did free up an extra room just to give it to Eve, because until she either matures a lot or gets some discipline, she will just cry and go wandering about anyway. Shari will need a lock on her door to keep the night-roaming demonspawn away. :P But I doubt Ruby would allow her a lock.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

RecklessDisregard wrote:I'm too lazy to multi-quote, but a couple of you guys have made good points. We know Eve has issues sleeping through the night. In all likelihood, this is why she got dumped on Shari - someone has to deal with Eve, and Ruby/Kevin didn't want to. (Edit: She definitely did share with Abbyjulie before Eve). They should have considered that pre-conception; she's their responsibility, and in a cramped house full of kids who need their sleep to wake up at 5:30 am, there is no excuse for foisting Eve on Shari or the other girls. Eve should be in Ruby's room until her problems are resolved. My guess is that if Eve woke her father up regularly, her issues would get resolved FAST - he doesn't seem to get involved until issues affect him directly. It will never happen, but it's one solution in which an age-inappropriate bed-pairing could end.

The extra rooms definitely can be shuffled. I don't pay attention to which ones have doors/closets, but tratra says the Play Room has a door and could work as a bedroom. Combine functions of "music room" and " library," put toys in the newly-open room, and they are now one bedroom ahead. Depending on how you feel about mixed-gender room sharing for little kids, you could put Shari and Chad each in their own room, Abby and Julie sharing, and Russell/Eve. Dunno, they may be really against that, being so religious. I would be bothered if they did free up an extra room just to give it to Eve, because until she either matures a lot or gets some discipline, she will just cry and go wandering about anyway. Shari will need a lock on her door to keep the night-roaming demonspawn away. :P But I doubt Ruby would allow her a lock.

The house tour was Chad's crazy house tour....you can see by searching '8 passengers and house tour' and this house is not small, but a large multi-level five bedroom home and the lowest level room has a door which leads down (several steps) to a good size room with nice windows and closet. They have plenty of space. There is no reason why these kids are roomed like they are except by choice of their parents to have a designated library etc. In addition, there is a nice bathroom for the three girls on the lower level. Bonnie has half this space, couple less kids, but manages well.

I also saw the vlog where Shari talked about sleeping with her sister which was quite sad and no growing teen who needs sleep should be subjected to interruptions. Why would parents be ok with this.

zipadeedodah
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by zipadeedodah »

I would sh-- bricks if I had a laundry room like that!

aral12
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by aral12 »

any thoughts on what the item arriving on Wednesday that will "make sharing a room a bit easier" for Shari??

Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

aral12 wrote:any thoughts on what the item arriving on Wednesday that will "make sharing a room a bit easier" for Shari??

Horse tranquillisers for Evil.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Vincere wrote:
aral12 wrote:any thoughts on what the item arriving on Wednesday that will "make sharing a room a bit easier" for Shari??

Horse tranquillisers for Evil.
Ok, that gave me a laugh! I can't image what would be delivered to make Shari's life easier short of not being in the same room as her youngest sister who is extremely stubborn.
Another year or two with her youngest sister is not at all a good idea. The office is out from what their response was from a viewer comment asking about this. My vote still goes for the TV/Toy room.

With the financial advisor, I would be curious just how they count YouTube income since it is an owner business or is it considered reliable income. I am assuming with Jared and Ellie, mortgage companies must had accepted this
income as reliable or they put a larger downpayment on the house. So the ride to larger grander homes still goes to E+J for now.

Return to “8 Passengers”