E+J - Extreme Makeover: Ice Palace Edition / Part 19

Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Vincere »

Credit: Boredomatitsfinest (the feeling we all have when we watch EJ)
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Re: E+J - Extreme Makeover: Ice Palace Edition / Part 19

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Oops, posted this in the old thread before I realized there was a new one.

I agree that the couples that enter won't care about Ellie and Jared's motivations. They just want the grant and the chance to have a child. I totally get that. But I do feel creeped out as a byatander by the idea that they're dangling this "prize" in people's faces and using it as a publicity stunt to increase their subscribers and view count. It's not like winning a purse or any other giveaway. This is a $15, 000-$17,000 medical procedure that has the potential to give someone a child. I wish they had sponsored IVF for a needy couple in a way that didn't feel like a contest or a publicity stunt.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

And making the couples submit 2 minutes videos detailing their story? It's the Ellie and Jared Pain Olympics! The IF/loss community tries to shy away from that. We all have pain and struggles. Who decides that a loss is more painful than 7 years of TTCing? 3 losses? There channel started off as a safe place where people felt they could find support. Making people compare pain and stories just isn't in that spirit.
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

HashtagBlessed wrote:Oops, posted this in the old thread before I realized there was a new one.

I agree that the couples that enter won't care about Ellie and Jared's motivations. They just want the grant and the chance to have a child. I totally get that. But I do feel creeped out as a byatander by the idea that they're dangling this "prize" in people's faces and using it as a publicity stunt to increase their subscribers and view count. It's not like winning a purse or any other giveaway. This is a $15, 000-$17,000 medical procedure that has the potential to give someone a child. I wish they had sponsored IVF for a needy couple in a way that didn't feel like a contest or a publicity stunt.
Wait thats all it costs? I mean thats a lot to most people but they spent $10000 on a couch and they are acting like saving up $17000 took them so many years?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

Will the Terms & Conditions of the prize include naming the baby Ellie or Jared?
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

My friend had IVF and it cost her $12k. Just putting it out there that we don't know what "full cycle" entails. If they aren't covering the meds, then it could be much less. The foundation website says meds aren't covered by their general grants, not sure if this applies in E&Js case.
marshmallowfluf
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by marshmallowfluf »

And to the person in the last thread who mentioned that ellie never goes to calvins PT appointments. I dont get it either.. She babies him so much but shes not even present for stuff like that? So strange.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Vincere wrote:Will the Terms & Conditions of the prize include naming the baby Ellie or Jared?
Or starting your own vlog channel? Becoming a personal assistant/best-friend? Image
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Scar2016 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
perctpiper wrote:
Green Jello wrote:This is a very small foundation that is just starting up. I wonder if this is a sneaky sponsorship for it? Sounds like you need to go to an approved clinic (Texas, UT, ID). There is no option to enter without being a subscriber and uploading a video with both partners in it. It's definitely not smelted at random like other grants.
So basically, in true Ellie & Jared fashion, their alleged paying for one round of IVF is being paid for by the clinic, in return for E&J giving free advertising for the clinic, on their channel. Yet again, E&J don't move their butts outta the ice palace or put their greedy grabbing hands in their own pockets. Heavenly Father has blessed them lol. It's like a distopian scenario mixed with Hunger_baby_Games.
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
staceymj
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by staceymj »

It's a very generous give away regardless of the motive behind it for Ellie and Jared (I do think Jared has better intentions than Ellie and I have no doubt this was his idea and not hers.) I'm glad they didn't name it a life changing giveaway and then say the prize is an iPhone 7 or a gift card.
Something about pitting people who are desperate for a baby up against each other and deciding who is more worthy to get this cycle doesn't sit well with me though. I hope whoever wins is successful with the cycle of ivf though.

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

How much sucking up to Ellie will be required to become a "finalist"? This whole "competition" makes me nauseated. HS totally said it. What makes one couple's struggle more compelling than another? It's just so maudlin and such a manipulative grab for subscribers. My "infertility" consisted of a few rounds of Clomid, so I know I can't understand the desperation, but using that desperation to grab for subscribers and views, and to pat themselves on the back while sitting on a $10,000 couch, knowing they're going to deduct it on their taxes, makes me ill. Yes, it is a beautiful thing, and hopefully will provide some couple with a miracle, but there are so many better ways they could have handled it. Why not anonymously? The Bible says you're not supposed to brag about your good deeds. But I guess they never read that chapter.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
flowerpuppy
Informer
Informer

Unread post by flowerpuppy »

the problem with having children as your audience lol...........
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

mrogaan wrote:Image

the problem with having children as your audience lol...........
I just can't.
Image Image Image Image

lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Double post, sorry-- but I have to weigh in on the "losing Jackson" bit. I did lose my daughter once, when she was about 3. We were at Seattle Center, and we had lunch at McDonald's. I turned my back long enough to throw something away, and turned back, and she was gone. Those were the longest 10 minutes of my life. And the worst thing was, she was speech delayed, so if someone found her, she couldn't tell them who she was. There were kids _everywhere_. I was completely freaked out.
Ellie having the presence of mind to turn on the camera, and sound AT ALL coherent just doesn't ring true.

flowerpuppy
Informer
Informer

Unread post by flowerpuppy »

lmmomSD wrote:How much sucking up to Ellie will be required to become a "finalist"? This whole "competition" makes me nauseated. HS totally said it. What makes one couple's struggle more compelling than another? It's just so maudlin and such a manipulative grab for subscribers. My "infertility" consisted of a few rounds of Clomid, so I know I can't understand the desperation, but using that desperation to grab for subscribers and views, and to pat themselves on the back while sitting on a $10,000 couch, knowing they're going to deduct it on their taxes, makes me ill. Yes, it is a beautiful thing, and hopefully will provide some couple with a miracle, but there are so many better ways they could have handled it. Why not anonymously? The Bible says you're not supposed to brag about your good deeds. But I guess they never read that chapter.

also, if their past boastful attitudes towards themselves "giving back" are of any warning, i can just imagine how (even more) highly they will think of themselves if the ivf is successful and the couple has a baby because of it. the almighty ellie and jared BLESSED THEM WITH A BABY, A MIRACLE, not unlike god himself. they will think of themselves as heroes, the ultimate "give-backers", the most generous youtubers ever, and nobody will ever be able to criticize them again.
Metalheadmama666
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Metalheadmama666 »

Great on them for giving back. But I doubt their motives too.

tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

I am questioning a contest as a way to give back and they have many international viewers that can't participate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

Don't know if it was mentioned previously but I just had a look at their video and the Terms and Conditions of the contest and my opinion is this is done in order to expand their channel and increase their revenue. A couple will benefit but not as much as EJ will, so it's kinda like a lottery.

The following passages are from: http://footstepsforfertility.org/elliea ... conditions

The Prize:
One IVF Treatment (approximate retail value or “ARV”: $15,000.00)
Short version: They will post all these videos on THEIR (EJ's) channel and whatever video gets most likes wins.
Winner Selection: The Contest winner of the grant (“Grantee”) will be determined by which finalists’ video has accrued the most “thumbs up” votes after 5 days on Ellie and Jared’s YouTube Channel found at https://www.youtube.com/user/stylebyellie. Final tally will be reviewed and approved by the Sponsor and Facilitator. Sponsor will determine how many finalists will be chosen after reviewing the applications. Finalists will be revealed in bonus vlogs, one each day on successive days beginning on Dec. 12, 2016. Only “thumbs up” votes will be considered for Grant selection. Comments on videos will not be part of the selection process. Each video will be allowed only 5 days to accumulate “thumbs up” votes. “Thumbs up” votes and comments will be disabled after each video has been online for 5 days. Grantee will be notified via email or telephone on Dec. 22, 2016.
The people who submit videos give up all the rights of the video to EJ.
7. License Rights: By submitting a video for the Contest, Entrants grant Sponsor a worldwide, fully paid, and royalty-free license to use the video as described in these Terms and Conditions.
Steps of the scheme:
1. EJ get tons of diverse, hart warming, emotional stories from couples that want a baby.
2. EJ will then post the best videos on their channel.
3. EJ will monetise these videos.
4. EJ will get a lot of revenue from these videos.
5. The winner will receive 15k which I believe it will be much less than what EJ will get from the ads.
6. PROFIT and look generous while doing it.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Vincere wrote:Don't know if it was mentioned previously but I just had a look at their video and the Terms and Conditions of the contest and my opinion is this is done in order to expand their channel and increase their revenue. A couple will benefit but not as much as EJ will, so it's kinda like a lottery.

The following passages are from: http://footstepsforfertility.org/elliea ... conditions

The Prize:
One IVF Treatment (approximate retail value or “ARV”: $15,000.00)
Short version: They will post all these videos on THEIR (EJ's) channel and whatever video gets most likes wins.
Winner Selection: The Contest winner of the grant (“Grantee”) will be determined by which finalists’ video has accrued the most “thumbs up” votes after 5 days on Ellie and Jared’s YouTube Channel found at https://www.youtube.com/user/stylebyellie. Final tally will be reviewed and approved by the Sponsor and Facilitator. Sponsor will determine how many finalists will be chosen after reviewing the applications. Finalists will be revealed in bonus vlogs, one each day on successive days beginning on Dec. 12, 2016. Only “thumbs up” votes will be considered for Grant selection. Comments on videos will not be part of the selection process. Each video will be allowed only 5 days to accumulate “thumbs up” votes. “Thumbs up” votes and comments will be disabled after each video has been online for 5 days. Grantee will be notified via email or telephone on Dec. 22, 2016.
The people who submit videos give up all the rights of the video to EJ.
7. License Rights: By submitting a video for the Contest, Entrants grant Sponsor a worldwide, fully paid, and royalty-free license to use the video as described in these Terms and Conditions.
Steps of the scheme:
1. EJ get tons of diverse, hart warming, emotional stories from couples that want a baby.
2. EJ will then post the best videos on their channel.
3. EJ will monetise these videos.
4. EJ will get a lot of revenue from these videos.
5. The winner will receive 15k which I believe it will be much less than what EJ will get from the ads.
6. PROFIT and look generous while doing it.
And E&J will get the tax write off for donating to the foundation.

A radio station where I live had a similar contest, and it was very controversial among ethicists, infertility advocates and the community. The radio station narrowed it down to 5 couples and it was put to a public vote. It was so controversial and became such bad marketing, that the station ended up providing treatments for everyone.

I'm not sure how much planning and research E&J put into this.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

HelloSweetie wrote:
And E&J will get the tax write off for donating to the foundation.

A radio station where I live had a similar contest, and it was very controversial among ethicists, infertility advocates and the community. The radio station narrowed it down to 5 couples and it was put to a public vote. It was so controversial and became such bad marketing, that the station ended up providing treatments for everyone.

I'm not sure how much planning and research E&J put into this.
On one if it gets too controversial it might make them even more popular.
On the other hand I hope they end up paying for everybody and get into trouble.
A bit mean but I feel nice things happen to bad people.

Also, judging the winner by the number of likes is just... stupid?
If you search "buy YT likes" you can see you can buy 1000 likes for 2 dollars.
So it makes sense to invest a couple hundred dollars in buying likes to increase the chance to win 15k.

Return to “Ellie and Jared”