E+J - Extreme Makeover: Ice Palace Edition / Part 19

Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0

Re: E+J - Extreme Makeover: Ice Palace Edition / Part 19

Unread post by Scar2016 »

RecklessDisregard wrote:They are seriously acting like they're curing cancer or something. Giving a family a chance to have a child is a good thing, but I'm not sure that the generosity of the contest (because it's not a gift) is commensurate with the amount of hype and self-administered ass-pats those two have got going on. Nor is the value of the prize likely to actually be a net loss for E+J at the end of the year, between views from new subscribers who want to apply or follow the progress of this little YT beauty pageant, and the monetized videos of the selected finalists, and the tax write-off.

A part of me insists that it can still be a good deed, even if E+J profit from it. And that is completely true! This is just all so sleazy, and they're acting like they are the second coming of Christ and are personally paying for this prize without any reward or incentive. It is completely disingenuous to present this contest as something they have decided to fund entirely with their own savings, just for altruistic purposes, because they want to "give back."

I really think YTers who want to "give back" might do well to begin with donating items and one valuable thing they have in excess - their time. It's a great example for their kids and their viewers, and it's not an ethical minefield like this contest.
Personally, this whole shit show of a contest is exposing YouTube vloggers, Ellie and Jared Mecham, as hitting a new all time low. Stating in the rules that Production Quality of the video from entrants is more important than the couples 'compelling' IVF story or even their 'perceived' financial need. Seriously? I mean, why even use emotive words like 'compelling' and 'perceived'?

It's like watching car crash TV, and I thought Trisha Paytas's 100 layers of cum video was bad. :|
I see NapTubers everywhere :coffee:
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

glamour1225 wrote:
KeepingItReal07 wrote:I guess exploiting your kids, family, and new puppy weren't enough, they had to drag an innocent, couple into the mix.
ImageImageSent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And, an emotionally vulnerable couple at that.
Scar2016
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:
kittypurry wrote:
Katieg2009 wrote:
So production value is weighted higher than perceived financial need? Which means someone with a better camera and more leisure time to edit/shoot the video presumably has a better chance of winning than a couple working overtime just to make ends meet. This isn't about helping a couple in need, this is about picking a video pretty enough to be worthy to upload to their channel.
That really chaps me. If you have a better camera and better lighting, then you're deemed more deserving of the grant?
It's like it's an audition to become a Vlogger, not to become a parent. [Sorry for all the posts, just feel really disturbed by this].
HeatherNancine
Amateur
Amateur
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by HeatherNancine »

I thought there would be all kinds of Instagram / Snapchat footage of the Great Logan Meetup that the blessed and famous Griffiths clan gifted to the world. I'm seeing nothing.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

I wonder if they'll vet the finalists before announcing putting any videos up. They probably should.

And I definitely agree that this seems more like an audition to be a vlogger than a chance to maybe possibly become a parent. Even worse, I bet E+J will want to follow the winner's "journey." Their subscribers will be invested in the story, having voted in the queen and king of the IVF Pageant.

I'm extremely irritated that most of the people who watch the vlog, minions and ordinary people, think this is some wonderful, generous gift from their personal savings. Ugh.

Also, if Jared wants to launch someone's YT career, his brother Matt could use some help. Charity starts at home, lol.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by HelloSweetie »

In the last two days they have found 15k new subscribers, yet yesterday's vlog only has 166k views. Seems strange for a ONE MILLION subscriber celebration vlog.

Either they turned off a lot of the older subs with this giveaway, or a lot of people have signed up to enter the contest but have no interest in watching.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016120 ... fb3c7b.png[/img]
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

RecklessDisregard wrote:I wonder if they'll vet the finalists before announcing putting any videos up. They probably should.

And I definitely agree that this seems more like an audition to be a vlogger than a chance to maybe possibly become a parent. Even worse, I bet E+J will want to follow the winner's "journey." Their subscribers will be invested in the story, having voted in the queen and king of the IVF Pageant.

I'm extremely irritated that most of the people who watch the vlog, minions and ordinary people, think this is some wonderful, generous gift from their personal savings. Ugh.

Also, if Jared wants to launch someone's YT career, his brother Matt could use some help. Charity starts at home, lol.
It would cost Jared nothing to help his brother. E+J traveling to Texas might help his brother's channel or including Matt's family in the vacations with Brian and Cullen. The easiest way to help Matt would be a shout out 'check out my brother's channel.'

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by tratra58 »

HelloSweetie wrote:In the last two days they have found 15k new subscribers, yet yesterday's vlog only has 166k views. Seems strange for a ONE MILLION subscriber celebration vlog.

Either they turned off a lot of the older subs with this giveaway, or a lot of people have signed up to enter the contest but have no interest in watching.

[img]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016120 ... fb3c7b.png[/img]
Is there times YouTube purges questionable accounts or a way they can see if the subscriber numbers are valid?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
MommaLindsey2
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by MommaLindsey2 »

Ellie sure did look pissed off in the van on the way to the meetup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

This is totally off the topic at hand, but how do you think Calvin will feel when he's older and his crying face is the thumbnail for "Taking Toddler's Binky Away"? He's got enough strikes with his bad teeth and neck, and kids can be _mean_. I can just see some jock who doesn't like him sharing that. Goodbye, prom date!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
OrangeMeow
Talker
Talker

Unread post by OrangeMeow »

MommaLindsey2 wrote:Ellie sure did look pissed off in the van on the way to the meetup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Maybe she was reading here ;)
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Vlog title today: GENEROUS DONATIONS TO KIDS.

Seriously? There wasn't anything else they could name it without once again showing how fantastic they are?

There's no way they are giving or doing anything for anyone and keeping it private.
Vincere
True Gossiper
True Gossiper

Unread post by Vincere »

Achievement unlocked: Blocked by Ellie on Instagram
I posted on her IG the bible verses and later she blocked me.
At least I know for sure she read it and got the meaning out of it... So, mission accomplished?
Maybe that's why she was pissed in the car, one can dream.

It looked that Ellie didn't interact much with the people who came.
Sorry, the 8 years old that came.
HashtagBlessed
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by HashtagBlessed »

Toffie89 wrote:I haven't read all the posts in the last two days but I too have issues with monetizing of off others infertility struggles and making it a popularity contest. Whoever said that they will probably earn more on those videos than they are giving away is probably spot on.

However. I am less than 4 minutes in to today's vlog and as Ellie was tearing up so did I. When I talk to others about my infertility issues people dismiss it, because officially we conceived within 12 months (like 11.5). I believe that Ellie, mean and selfish, possibly narcissistic, as she may be, has had her own struggle. She has struggled with infertility, regardless of why they didn't conceive the fact is they didn't. She was told by a doctor that she would probably lose Calvin, then she almost lost him twice. (But why they didn't call 911 is beyond me, especially considering my paragraph above)

Blah, I don't know where I'm going with this, I just felt for Ellie when she was talking about their struggle.
I wasn't aware that Ellie was told she would probably lose the pregnancy with Calvin, does anyone know where they talk about this in the vlogs?
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

HashtagBlessed wrote:
Toffie89 wrote:I haven't read all the posts in the last two days but I too have issues with monetizing of off others infertility struggles and making it a popularity contest. Whoever said that they will probably earn more on those videos than they are giving away is probably spot on.

However. I am less than 4 minutes in to today's vlog and as Ellie was tearing up so did I. When I talk to others about my infertility issues people dismiss it, because officially we conceived within 12 months (like 11.5). I believe that Ellie, mean and selfish, possibly narcissistic, as she may be, has had her own struggle. She has struggled with infertility, regardless of why they didn't conceive the fact is they didn't. She was told by a doctor that she would probably lose Calvin, then she almost lost him twice. (But why they didn't call 911 is beyond me, especially considering my paragraph above)

Blah, I don't know where I'm going with this, I just felt for Ellie when she was talking about their struggle.
I wasn't aware that Ellie was told she would probably lose the pregnancy with Calvin, does anyone know where they talk about this in the vlogs?
It was Unexpected Doctor's Visit. Not to be harsh, but many women go through scares like that due to spotting, which can be common and harmless. Ellie thought she could lose the pregnancy for a couple of days, but that's not enough to justify treating him as a special snowflake. Many women miscarry and go on to have rainbow babies. They live with that same fear for weeks, and somehow don't go all nutty and obsessive.
Toffie89
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Toffie89 »

HelloSweetie wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote:

It was Unexpected Doctor's Visit. Not to be harsh, but many women go through scares like that due to spotting, which can be common and harmless. Ellie thought she could lose the pregnancy for a couple of days, but that's not enough to justify treating him as a special snowflake. Many women miscarry and go on to have rainbow babies. They live with that same fear for weeks, and somehow don't go all nutty and obsessive.
I strongly disagree with this. We have established that loss and pain can not be compared, and that one person's way to deal with it is neither "right" nor the only way. Yes, Ellie was lucky enough to get to keep Calvin but she trusted this doctor with her life and he told her that she would lose him.

Ellie is naive and not very good at handling her emotions (look at the way she handled minor setbacks with the house). I don't think it's strange that she went full blown cray-cray with Calvin, the boy who lived.
HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Toffie89 wrote:
HelloSweetie wrote:
HashtagBlessed wrote: I wasn't aware that Ellie was told she would probably lose the pregnancy with Calvin, does anyone know where they talk about this in the vlogs?
I strongly disagree with this. We have established that loss and pain can not be compared, and that one person's way to deal with it is neither "right" nor the only way. Yes, Ellie was lucky enough to get to keep Calvin but she trusted this doctor with her life and he told her that she would lose him.

Ellie is naive and not very good at handling her emotions (look at the way she handled minor setbacks with the house). I don't think it's strange that she went full blown cray-cray with Calvin, the boy who lived.
Ok. So that justifies treating him as more special than Jackson? I didn't question her pain, but rather her logic.

By the same account it makes sense that Missy favours Ollie, or a parent would favour a high risk baby. It's just my opinion, and I do have two children (one that came easy, one that did not) but I don't think anything justifies favouring one child over the other. It's not fair for a child's worth to be predetermined by their birth.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

I just wonder about that doctor. Was he trying to prepare her? I had spotting with my son, and they put me on progesterone suppositories (sorry for TMI) and told me to come in for an ultrasound and hope for a heartbeat. My doctor did discuss what could happen, but she tried to stay hopeful. But saying "you're probably going to lose it" seems cruel.

HelloSweetie
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

lmmomSD wrote:I just wonder about that doctor. Was he trying to prepare her? I had spotting with my son, and they put me on progesterone suppositories (sorry for TMI) and told me to come in for an ultrasound and hope for a heartbeat. My doctor did discuss what could happen, but she tried to stay hopeful. But saying "you're probably going to lose it" seems cruel.

From my experience with this, and sadly I have a lot, some doctors would rather give you bad news and then correct themselves and give you good news later. I know doctors that have given their patients hope and its later come back to haunt them by the patient saying they were misdiagnosed. There isn't much a doctor can do in that position but wait. Progesterone won't stop a miscarriage unless low Progesterone is the problem. It's a tough position for a doctor to be in, there is nothing they can do, and no way to know for sure what's happening without running HCG levels 48 hrs apart. Hence the long wait. The doctor was harsh in tone yes, but maybe he's learned to be because too many women there have refused to prepare themselves for the worst in the belief that God will protect them. We don't know his experience. We also don't know how Ellie described the spotting. Was she dramatic and said it was heavy hoping to get an ultrasound? We don't know, but if she did then that could have been a part of the diagnosis.
Toffie89
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by Toffie89 »

It was Unexpected Doctor's Visit. Not to be harsh, but many women go through scares like that due to spotting, which can be common and harmless. Ellie thought she could lose the pregnancy for a couple of days, but that's not enough to justify treating him as a special snowflake. Many women miscarry and go on to have rainbow babies. They live with that same fear for weeks, and somehow don't go all nutty and obsessive.[/quote]

Ellie is naive and not very good at handling her emotions (look at the way she handled minor setbacks with the house). I don't think it's strange that she went full blown cray-cray with Calvin, the boy who lived.[/quote]

Ok. So that justifies treating him as more special than Jackson? I didn't question her pain, but rather her logic.

By the same account it makes sense that Missy favours Ollie, or a parent would favour a high risk baby. It's just my opinion, and I do have two children (one that came easy, one that did not) but I don't think anything justifies favouring one child over the other. It's not fair for a child's worth to be predetermined by their birth.[/quote]

(I removed the unrelated quotes, sorry!)

I think I misunderstood your post, I thought you meant that just because she didn't actually lose Calvin meant that she had no right to grieve.

I never meant that it justifies favoritism. She, and Missy, Bryan and Jared (let's not forget about the negligent dads!), need to take a couple classes in Parenting 101 and also Adulting 101.

All I meant is that it explains her behavior. She should have talked to someone outside of her family when she started losing it after not losing Calvin. A therapist could have (and probably still can) likely help her deal with her emotions in an other way than the immature way she handles them now.

I think the clip with Jackson in today's vlog gives us a good picture of how they handle emotions actually. I don't see a kid that young asking if their parents are happy (in the way they described at least) if it weren't for the fact that happiness is the only accepted emotion in the Mecham household.

Return to “Ellie and Jared”