Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cullen and Katie: Blame the Mailman Part 7

Unread post by tratra58 »

tratra58 wrote:
WhatSheSaid wrote:
tratra58 wrote: We really know nothing about their finances other than they are doing less than other YouTube families with a more subscribers/views. Who would leave her a trust?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Sorry, I know I'm late. I recall Katie saying it was really difficult getting all their paperwork together when they were buying the home they now inhabit. I interpreted that to mean paperwork for qualifying for a mortgage. Besides, why would one pay cash for a home when there are tax advantages associated with having a mortgage? As to whom would leave Katie a trust, I do believe her grandparents are deceased since we never hear of them. Additionally, some parents start trust funds for their children when they are born, ie The United Gift To Minors Act allows money to be set aside and tax is deferred. I always had the impression that Katie has a trust fund, or perhaps a few, that would allow her a certain lifestyle. I'd not be surprised to learn that Cullen had been left some money as well.

Off Topic: I believe Cullen and Katie were vlogging daily for about 2-3 years while they worked full time and they had a decent amount of subscribers, certainly under 50k. But after Cullen lost his job in a corporate takeover, Katie allowed him to follow his dream of vlogging full time. She reasoned that he supported her dream to become a doctor. During that year I believe they got to 100k. He was highly ambitious, and fortunately he calmed down once their channel took off and became a success. Katie stated that she always intended to take time off when her children were little. They both said they were planning on moving to a larger home in 5 years time. Cullen does have a college degree and as long as Katie maintains her license, I think they'll be fine financially. I don't believe B&M or E&J will be able to maintain the same lifestyle if their youtube careers go tits up.

I thought todays vlog had to be great fun with the slime. Cullen is like a kid himself sometimes and what a creative fun for his nieces and nephew as well as brother and sister-in-law. How thoughtful of him to think of his mom to bring her a tree each year.

I think their channel is a small success and they even mentioned one time they've appreciated the slow growth in comparison to others I believe with the meaning they've worked harder than others. B+M and E+J have to be making a significant more in YouTube with both greater views/subscribers than Cullen and I can't tell you why since he puts a lot of effort to making his vlogs entertaining. I agree with you that both Katie and Cullen have a better fall back plan if Youtube doesn't continue to provide an income in comparison to the other two families. I think Katie has a doctorate in Psychology or is it a Masters. I don't think we address her as doctor or her dream was to be a doctor since it is is associated with a M.D. or D.O. or in her field Psychiatrist who has a longer education, prescribing rights and more treatment options.
I was wrong since psychologist do use Dr. when addressing themselves professionally or even socially.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

Katie is a clinical psychologist and would therefore be addressed as Dr. B*****. Although she specializes in children, so may be addressed as Dr. Katie. I had a dentist at 15 that I addressed as Dr. Josh, completely unaware that that was his first name at the time. I think C&K are a success now. They are close to 500k subscribers, but even at 469k they appear to be supporting their lifestyle and are serving their family well. And while B&M and E&J have more subscribers and seem to be making more money, I'd not describe them as successful. They don't appreciate what they have and their children aren't benefitting from their stay at home status. It boggles my mind that Jared hasn't taken even one college course in anything, same with Bryan. They could be learning a skill or a trade to use in 3-5 years time. Sometimes it is better to have a more exclusive channel that doesn't have cause for hysterics or hate. That's how I feel about C&K's channel.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

WhatSheSaid wrote:Katie is a clinical psychologist and would therefore be addressed as Dr. B*****. Although she specializes in children, so may be addressed as Dr. Katie. I had a dentist at 15 that I addressed as Dr. Josh, completely unaware that that was his first name at the time. I think C&K are a success now. They are close to 500k subscribers, but even at 469k they appear to be supporting their lifestyle and are serving their family well. And while B&M and E&J have more subscribers and seem to be making more money, I'd not describe them as successful. They don't appreciate what they have and their children aren't benefitting from their stay at home status. It boggles my mind that Jared hasn't taken even one college course in anything, same with Bryan. They could be learning a skill or a trade to use in 3-5 years time. Sometimes it is better to have a more exclusive channel that doesn't have cause for hysterics or hate. That's how I feel about C&K's channel.

I corrected myself just after posting my original message (not sure where the message went) saying like you said she could be addressed as Dr. both professionally and socially.

I don't see Cullen and Katie as a huge success based on "income" when you look at they are getting in the 50-80 thousand range views per vlog, slow growth over many years and I think both E+J and B+M are doing almost twice to triple the daily views. Ruby's channel has caught up and will surpass them soon.

Jared has a college degree from BYU and I forget in what it is in. Bryan, didn't further his education.
WhatSheSaid
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by WhatSheSaid »

Lol, I just caught your additional post regarding addressing doctors. Jared does have a college degree but was denied entry to ten Physical Therapy schools. He really should look into getting into graduate school. My son is an accountant and works full time. He is going to graduate school for a Masters in Business Administration and will be taking his CPA exam as soon as he qualifies. Jared comes across as lazy as well as obnoxious to me.
lmmomSD
Super Moddie
Super Moddie

Unread post by lmmomSD »

Jared may have graduated from BYU, but wasn't it something to do with physical therapy, that you need an advanced degree in to do anything? He was working as a sales rep at Verizon when they started vlogging.
ETA: Didn't see the above post before I posted. He and Bryan have money and time to better themselves, but they're living in this fantasy tgat the money is always going to be coming in the way it is now.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

Bryan and Jared have never worked a traditional professional job. I think it's important for them to educate themselves and prepare to get a job outside of Youtube, I don't really think it's the best decision take on school and/or professional training while they're making millions on Youtube. I think they should save that for when Youtube starts to tank. They should be saving enough money right now that they really shouldn't have to worry about finding a job for years after Youtube goes down. Personally, I would prefer to be fresh out of school when I look for a job. I don't it does them any favors to get a degree now for a job that may not need until many years from now. Besides they should be looking into starting their own businesses outside of Youtube. It would really suck to have to go back to working for someone else after living their lifestyles.
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

Regarding the trust fund issue... My understanding is Katie's family is "old money." Can't say for certain which side of the family it came from, but if I had to guess, I'd say GranDolly's.

Katie and her sister seem to have been raised with the expectation that as adults, they would need to be largely self-sufficient by whatever means after they finished college, with their parents providing "perks" and help if needed. I can't really source any of that to a particular vlog, it's just an impression after watching a lot - really, a lot - of their vlogs.

I think it's safe to say that even if their YT channel goes belly-up, Gaines and Brooks will still be provided for, get educated, etc - because Cullen and Katie have careers to fall back on, and the safety net of old Southern money.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

WhatSheSaid wrote:Lol, I just caught your additional post regarding addressing doctors. Jared does have a college degree but was denied entry to ten Physical Therapy schools. He really should look into getting into graduate school. My son is an accountant and works full time. He is going to graduate school for a Masters in Business Administration and will be taking his CPA exam as soon as he qualifies. Jared comes across as lazy as well as obnoxious to me.
Do you see Cullen equal or better than Jared? I agree with the obnoxious part with Jared, but he must be doing something right to see continued growth in his channel. Cullen work hard to improve his channel so I am not thinking it is luck that one channel does better than another or you live in Utah which seems to be a plus for some reason.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

WhatSheSaid wrote:Lol, I just caught your additional post regarding addressing doctors. Jared does have a college degree but was denied entry to ten Physical Therapy schools. He really should look into getting into graduate school. My son is an accountant and works full time. He is going to graduate school for a Masters in Business Administration and will be taking his CPA exam as soon as he qualifies. Jared comes across as lazy as well as obnoxious to me.
Do you see Cullen equal or better than Jared? I agree with the obnoxious part with Jared, but he must be doing something right to see continued growth in his channel. Cullen work hard to improve his channel so I am thinking it is luck that one channel does better than another or you live in Utah which seems to be a plus for some reason.
ellawski
Talker
Talker

Unread post by ellawski »

lmmomSD wrote:I gotta say-- it's refreshing to see _someone_ mention that Christmas is Jesus's birthday. It makes me so annoyed that Bryan and Missy call themselves "Christian vloggers" but never ever mention Jesus at Christmas. They don't have to proselytize, or ho crazy with it, but I am willing to bet Ollie has never heard what Christmas is about except for lots more toys.

I'm Jewish and just recently started getting Christmas trees for the last few seasons cause I just love the spirit, besides the fact that is a Christian holiday, but I always thought how nice it is for those who live it as a Christian holiday to actually mention it, Cullen and Katie go to church often and teach values, and remind their kids what Christmas is about, DB are just big fakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RecklessDisregard
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by RecklessDisregard »

I too wonder what makes one vlogger more successful than another. I feel like Cullen goes the extra mile in his editing, and people who are into watching the development of toddlers and babies surely could not ask for children any better than Gaines and Brooks.

Issues that may be at play:

1. Their vlog doesn't cater to the ten year olds that watch certain vlogs religiously, and will watch videos over and over again

2. They aren't living in Utah, or from Utah. I have no idea why this should matter, but I can see why it was mentioned.

3. They are not Mormons. I don't know why this should matter either... The ten year olds don't even know what Mormons are. I guess maybe there is a strong community of SAHM Mormons who are interested in seeing the details of how other families live, and supporting people of their faith. But I could be wrong about this.

4. I think they might be a little too edgy for mainstream religious family vloggers (they drink - which I have seen people complain about in the comments, the "sparkling" thing, etc), but not really edgy enough to be "alternative" or whatever. I think they are just normal adults, doing adult things, with an adult sense of humor... But that doesn't get them anywhere with the children or super religious types.

5. There's no train wreck in sight. If the YT money dries up, they'll be fine. Katie doesn't seem like a narcissist, Cullen doesn't seem like he's in the closet. The family members get along. There's no DRAMA.

That's about the best I could come up with.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

lmmomSD wrote:Jared may have graduated from BYU, but wasn't it something to do with physical therapy, that you need an advanced degree in to do anything? He was working as a sales rep at Verizon when they started vlogging.
ETA: Didn't see the above post before I posted. He and Bryan have money and time to better themselves, but they're living in this fantasy tgat the money is always going to be coming in the way it is now.

Watching Jared (My College Degree) explain his career path with a degree in Exercise Science, the plan was he would go onto physical therapy, but rejected (felt extreme disappointment) from ten schools with good grades and no explanation. I think that is why he ended up in his positions which included Verizon since he needed to work and then fell into YouTube. Jared would be smart to at least take some type of class that relates to his business which could translate to a career if needed, but Cullen could also look at what is needed to advance his career since if something happens to YouTube in lets say ten years, he will be older and being forty something works against you. I am not convinced Cullen would have an easy time to switch out of YouTube to a traditional job and Katie had just stared her career, so she might see some bumps when going back to being a working mom.

The point is that they are all vulnerable with a career in YouTube and returning to their traditional jobs might be a nonissue, but it might not be as easy as one thinks. What did Bryan and Missy do before YouTube?

How do you think prospect employees would see these YouTubers who have an open resume or their vlogs to judge their character by clicking on their channel.
tratra58
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

RecklessDisregard wrote:I too wonder what makes one vlogger more successful than another. I feel like Cullen goes the extra mile in his editing, and people who are into watching the development of toddlers and babies surely could not ask for children any better than Gaines and Brooks.

Issues that may be at play:

1. Their vlog doesn't cater to the ten year olds that watch certain vlogs religiously, and will watch videos over and over again

2. They aren't living in Utah, or from Utah. I have no idea why this should matter, but I can see why it was mentioned.

3. They are not Mormons. I don't know why this should matter either... The ten year olds don't even know what Mormons are. I guess maybe there is a strong community of SAHM Mormons who are interested in seeing the details of how other families live, and supporting people of their faith. But I could be wrong about this.

4. I think they might be a little too edgy for mainstream religious family vloggers (they drink - which I have seen people complain about in the comments, the "sparkling" thing, etc), but not really edgy enough to be "alternative" or whatever. I think they are just normal adults, doing adult things, with an adult sense of humor... But that doesn't get them anywhere with the children or super religious types.

5. There's no train wreck in sight. If the YT money dries up, they'll be fine. Katie doesn't seem like a narcissist, Cullen doesn't seem like he's in the closet. The family members get along. There's no DRAMA.

That's about the best I could come up with.
I have to say both Cullen and Katie have great parents and extended family who seems pretty ordinary or normal. I thought Cullen had a nice dad and what a lost for him. I admired how Cullen's mom was with her ex-husband while he was ill. They seem to have had a friendship which does not always happen after a separation.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk
Lovethesnark
Extreme Gossiper
Extreme Gossiper

Unread post by Lovethesnark »

It's interesting to me that there's idea that Cullen and Katie aren't trying to attract those kid viewers. Just take a look at today's video and title. Giant slime balls are super popular videos on Youtube right now with kids. They've been trying to attract kids for a while. They did a bunch of orbeez videos. There were videos with egg surprise in the title. There were videos with Disney Princesses in the title. They also use the word toy in their titles often. Everyone knows that the most popular videos on Youtube are toy reviews. They're trying to make their videos visible to kids, but they just aren't very good at retaining those kid viewers. They've boxed themselves into the kid and family category. That's fine, but in order to keep growing as a channel they have to attract those kid viewers. Everyone likes to shit on the lumps for having a fanbase of mostly 8 year olds, but It's clear they understand their business. They mapped out a formula and it's worked well for them.
AJJLife
Amateur
Amateur

Unread post by AJJLife »

I really like this couple, they seem really normal. Gaines is not a name I would ever consider, I think it's a boys name but to each their own. They are too normal, there isn't drama to watch, that why I think they have less views. I mean look at this site, the worst train wrecks get the most attention. And Ellie's siblings feed solely off E+J's success.
jaynshann
Informer
Informer

Unread post by jaynshann »

Other than how adorable Brooks and Gaines are l dont think there's much to Cullen and Katie videos that would keep the preteen crowd entertained. I can't put my finger on it but they just seem to have more adult orientated dialogue. Come to think of it they talk about everything! Bryan and Missy, Ellie and Jared, Slyfox, 8 passengers, etc. all pretty much video tape the kids and talk exclusively about them for the.most part. Bonnie might be another exception to the typical vlogger style made for preteens. She and C&K seem to have all adults in their comment section. Cullen may pull in more preteen views on a particular vlog with those catch phrases in the title, but l dont see them keeping those preteens as viewers long term. It's kind of a compliment l think C& K are too intelligent to appeal to kids. Bumps etc...not so much. LOL

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

Unread post by Playsinrain »

lmmomSD wrote:Playsinrain, how awful! Prayers going out for your friends and family!

Thank you, It's so horrifying... my heart is just broken.
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

I wondered if the multiple title thing was some "trick" to get more views, or to show up in more searches/suggested videos. Seems like from ya'lls comments thats exactly what it is.. It's strange and annoying but i don't tend to pay much attention to titles/thumbnails
smellycat801
Gossiper
Gossiper

Unread post by smellycat801 »

Sorry, I haven't watched them much lately and was just skimming over the thread now, but what is the "sparkling" thing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
Playsinrain
Guru Gossiper
Guru Gossiper

smellycat801 wrote:Sorry, I haven't watched them much lately and was just skimming over the thread now, but what is the "sparkling" thing?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
They realized that MG pronounces sparkling as fucking and its pretty damn hilarious. They got her to say it quite a few times the first few days they figured it out but have cut back on it since. She said it the other day all on her own about a jacket with some gold hearts on it, Katie was trying so hard not to crack up. She did say in that video to Cullen that they had to stop telling her to say it, but she said it all on her own that time.. It's pretty funny stuff.

Return to “Cullen and Katie”